HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011 NHL Entry Draft Talk - Part VIII - Adam Larsson's Revenge!

Closed Thread

Old
05-04-2011, 11:43 PM
Oroku Saki*
Pete Hearts Volch

vCash: 500
Murphy will bust.

Hamilton will arise the best defenseman in this draft class.

There, I said it.

Old
05-04-2011, 11:44 PM
CerebralGenesis

I don't think rare defensive puckmovers are hard to find at all. It's hard to find one that doesn't bust or one that actually can become a franchise dman tho.

I'd be fine with Couturier as well. If next year's defensive draft class is as deep as forecasted, then there is a chance a top notch forward could drop from teams getting good dmen. No need to strap ourselves to having to get a Dman next year. Get the BPA and be done with it.

Old
05-04-2011, 11:44 PM
CerebralGenesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volchenkov 28 View Post
Murphy will bust.

There, I said it.
Teach me how to Dougie?

Old
05-04-2011, 11:47 PM
apice3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedenby21 View Post
I feel like I'm starting to rank them in terms of how rare of a player they are. Combining how rare it is to even find players like like them, what is the chance that we will even have another opportunity to pick a player like them in the draft again? We will most likely go back to picking in the 20's for a while again. I think we should try to land the rarest talent to find.
Rare and best aren't necessarily the same thing. I'm all for drafting Murphy, I just think we can acquire him AND an additional asset via trade down.

Really, from a Devils perspective, all of these players are rare. We never get the opportunity to draft this high. We need to draft the best player, not the rare one.

Old
05-04-2011, 11:51 PM
Tedenby21
Boo's Dangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
Well Larsson is being compared to Lidstrom, so I'd say that's a pretty rare talent.
That is why he is number 1 on my list
Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
Rare and best aren't necessarily the same thing. I'm all for drafting Murphy, I just think we can acquire him AND an additional asset via trade down.

Really, from a Devils perspective, all of these players are rare. We never get the opportunity to draft this high. We need to draft the best player, not the rare one.
It too difficult to say who the best player will be. They are all so different and have different things that make them great players. It will come down to who a team prefers.

Old
05-04-2011, 11:55 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:

Agreed. I think we can trade down and still get our man if Murphy is the guy the scouts like.

And yes, this guy will instantly become the best prospect we've had in years.

I don't think Murphy will bust if he is developed by the right team. For example, he'd be a good player for us. If he gets picked by Columbus or Florida, good luck.

Old
05-05-2011, 12:07 AM
Tedenby21
Boo's Dangles

Quote:
Agreed. I think we can trade down and still get our man if Murphy is the guy the scouts like.

I don't think Murphy will bust if he is developed by the right team. For example, he'd be a good player for us. If he gets picked by Columbus or Florida, good luck.
Exactly. If Murphy is picked by the wrong team and is developed the wrong way he will probably bust. If we were to pick him I don't think there is a way he can bust. If Greene and Taormina can be decent on our team Murphy will be amazing. He will just need some time to develop and there is nothing wrong with that. I really hope he doesn't get picked by a crappy team and ruined because I don't want everyone here running around saying "I told you so". If the Islanders take Murphy he will probably turn into a good player there too. I would hate it if we had to play against him 6 times a year in the future.

Old
05-05-2011, 12:11 AM
Oroku Saki*
Pete Hearts Volch

Quote:

Pretty much how I feel. If Murphy goes to Columbus or Florida, I see him busting. I don't think they have what it takes to develop him. He's clearly a guy who needs to be developed properly.

I love Larsson and I want him on this team badly but I also will admit there is a good chance he doesn't become this amazing #1 defenseman but more of a solid SAH #3/4.

Old
05-05-2011, 12:15 AM
CerebralGenesis

I would never say that a prospect has no chance to bust with a certain team. There is no such thing as a certainty when it comes to drafting.

Old
05-05-2011, 12:17 AM
Tedenby21
Boo's Dangles

Quote:
Pretty much how I feel. If Murphy goes to Columbus or Florida, I see him busting. I don't think they have what it takes to develop him. He's clearly a guy who needs to be developed properly.

I love Larsson and I want him on this team badly but I also will admit there is a good chance he doesn't become this amazing #1 defenseman but more of a solid SAH #3/4.
I doubt Larsson becomes a SAH #3/4. He will log heavy minutes, has a great hockey IQ, is mobile, and has a good slap shot. Even if he doesn't put up amazing numbers I still see him as a #1/2 defenseman. He will play pk and at least 2nd pp. He is also a defenseman I would want on the ice in the last minute of a game where we are up by 1 goal.

Old
05-05-2011, 12:19 AM
Oroku Saki*
Pete Hearts Volch

Quote:
I doubt Larsson becomes a SAH #3/4. He will log heavy minutes, has a great hockey IQ, is mobile, and has a good slap shot. Even if he doesn't put up amazing numbers I still see him as a #1/2 defenseman. He will play pk and at least 2nd pp. He is also a defenseman I would want on the ice in the last minute of a game where we are up by 1 goal.
My perception of a true #1 is a guy that does all of that stuff while putting up the big numbers.

Old
05-05-2011, 12:19 AM
apice3*

Quote:
Murphy will bust.

There, I said it.
"The winner of the 2018 Conn Smythe award goes to, Ryan Murphy." -Gary Bettman

"The winner of the 2018 regional manager of the year award goes to, Douglas Hamilton." - Ronald McDonald

Old
05-05-2011, 12:23 AM
Oroku Saki*
Pete Hearts Volch

Quote:
"The winner of the 2018 Conn Smythe award goes to, Ryan Murphy." -Gary Bettman

"The winner of the 2018 regional manager of the year award goes to, Douglas Hamilton." - Ronald McDonald
What brah? I've seen thousands of games, my opinion is clearly better then yours!

And it's more like..

"Dougie Hamilton, come get the Stanley Cup" - Gary Bettman

"Ryan, are you ever gonna get a damn job. You're almost 40 and still in the AHL" - Mr. and Mrs. Murphy

Old
05-05-2011, 12:25 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerebralGenesis View Post
I would never say that a prospect has no chance to bust with a certain team. There is no such thing as a certainty when it comes to drafting.
Of course not. But Murphy is a riskier prospect than some of the others in this draft. A guy like that requires proper development. I don't think it's a stretch to say that he has a much better chance of making the big time with us than he does with the development system in Columbus.

Quote:
I think Larsson will almost certainly be a top pairing defenceman. He's a very safe prospect, it would take a horrible development system to ruin him. And a proper development system can turn him into a superstar.

Old
05-05-2011, 12:36 AM
CerebralGenesis

We might develop prospects better but that doesn't mean he will pan out either.
Murphy really seems like a boom/bust which is kind of scary. Lou will make the call in the end. Hopefully it will be the correct one and not a corrente one

Old
05-05-2011, 12:45 AM
apice3*

Quote:
What brah? I've seen thousands of games, my opinion is clearly better then yours!

And it's more like..

"Dougie Hamilton, come get the Stanley Cup" - Gary Bettman

"Ryan, are you ever gonna get a damn job. You're almost 40 and still in the AHL" - Mr. and Mrs. Murphy

Old
05-05-2011, 12:49 AM
Hockey Sports Fan
:panic:

Send a message via AIM to Hockey Sports Fan
Quote:
Yes, that was me. Huberdeau's closest comparison to Devils centres past is Nieuwendyk. I wouldn't say that means he'll be as successful, but their playing styles and capabilities are similar.
I'm not saying it was a sensible reaction, it was just knee-jerk since Nieuwendyk is one of my favorite all-time players.

Old
05-05-2011, 12:54 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggers View Post
I'm not saying it was a sensible reaction, it was just knee-jerk since Nieuwendyk is one of my favorite all-time players.
Me too. He went to my college, and he played for my favourite team, winning a Cup. He played the game the right way, and he's going to the Hall of Fame soon. What's not to love about Joe Nieuwendyk?

Old
05-05-2011, 01:08 AM
Hockey Sports Fan
:panic:

Send a message via AIM to Hockey Sports Fan
Quote:
Me too. He went to my college, and he played for my favourite team, winning a Cup. He played the game the right way, and he's going to the Hall of Fame soon. What's not to love about Joe Nieuwendyk?
Seems like "nothing!"

Old
05-05-2011, 01:12 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggers View Post
Seems like "nothing!"
I was going for, "his name is hard to spell on the first try", but "nothing" works!

Old
05-05-2011, 01:19 AM
apice3*

Quote:
Always wanted to ask. Are you of Canadian descent? You're from Connecticut but you spell 'center' and 'favorite' the Canadian/UK way.

Old
05-05-2011, 01:23 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Quote:
Always wanted to ask. Are you of Canadian descent? You're from Connecticut but you spell 'center' and 'favorite' the Canadian/UK way.
My parents are Indian, and they lived in England for a long time. I've lived in the US my whole life, but I learned to spell the British way, and that's what looks right to me.

Old
05-05-2011, 02:08 AM
CerebralGenesis

Never noticed how he spelled favourite lol. Wonder if that spelling works on scrabble

Old
05-05-2011, 07:48 AM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevsfn95 View Post
maybe its how the information was presented?
It was presented the same way it was written by a ESPN reporter with quotes from scouts that looked very identical to the one he has in his article but when it's presented by a legit "source" like ESPN instead of DATW (or Tedenby21)... people eat it up and are taking seconds as we speak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidevil View Post
This is a good point. The shove down your throat method doesn't sit well with most.
When you know something and you are trying to translate that information to the rest of the board and all you get in return is a bunch of replies saying "I'm in left field" or "Murphy will bust, we should go with the safe pick in Hamilton" or "Murphy is too small, he'll never make it" or "Murphy's offense will never translate to the NHL".

What are we suppose to say... Yeah, you are right, he'll bust and he's too small ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack Ryder View Post
It's because no one likes you.
I don't want people to like me and to be honest, I couldn't care less if everyone in here hates my guts cause at the end of the day, all I want is my team to pick the best talent available and like I've been saying for the past 2 months... Murphy is right up there with the cream of the crop.

It just took a article from ESPN to make the rest of the board realise what I and Tedenby21 were saying for the past couple of months now.

Old
05-05-2011, 08:44 AM
nomercydevs

You know after watching the current playoff teams play, I have come to a realization that Murphy is far from what we need on this team. We play a very structured defensive game and we dont give up a lot of goals despite having a putrid young defensive core. Our issue is scoring goals, primarily from the crease area. Without Parise, not a single person got down and dirty there for the exception of palmeiri a few times. Murphy would be great for his shot and skating, but we dont need an enormous talent on the back end. We need somebody to get down low and piss people off. That is why I think we should definately get Couturier. I will admit, I am a huge fan of Murphy and think he will be great to an offensive minded team. We need solid d that can pass, which we have in the system, Merrill, Urbom, Gelinas and so forth. You can include green and Tallinder in that. A grinder down low will be much more useful to us. Imagine having a potential second parise- not as fast but similar ultimate ability down low to piss people off and score the bs goals that playoff teams score to win

Closed Thread