HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Game 3 Discussion (Tampa) - The BB Titanic

Old
05-04-2011, 01:39 PM
WcRoenick97

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chokingdogs View Post
its not so much tampa is doing that, on the cusp of the white wash game, it wouldnt matter to me if they went there to simply try and emulate fantasia. its the mere fact they are, and appear to want be 100% ready for this game. that, to me, shows a dedication the coaching staff and/or the leaders of the team have instilled.

the caps on the other hand, all season long, when boudreau raises the optional practice flag 75% of the team heads for the bars, or five guys, or logs into world of warcraft, or download more songs to their ipods. especially the so-called leaders.
To Ovechkin's credit, COD has probably ruined alot of people's work production this year.

WcRoenick97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 01:40 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Ah yes, the old "the young guys are hungover" excuse.

If you don't have any evidence that they do those things, here's an idea: keep your mouth shut about it.

Plenty of guys that don't skate are still at Kettler getting a thing or three worked on.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 01:48 PM
Duke33

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycoonheart View Post
If you guys think effort/heart isn't something that a coach can work on, then you are so wrong.

Take for example our very own Washington Redskins. Shanny had the same personnel that Zorn had. And even though last year they had a losing record, it was evident that the players played hard for Shanny and gave it their all. The same guys never looked like they gave the same type of effort the year before.
Um yeah, great example. The Redskins lost 7 of 9 down the stretch, didn't win a home game after October 10, and got humiliated at home on national TV by a key rival (losing 35-0 after one quarter, great example of them playing hard).

The coach is at fault with the Caps for some things, and the players are at fault for some things. If they aren't going to play hard and hustle and do the things you need to during a game that you learn in pee-wee hockey, honestly why are some of these guys even out there? Is the coach supposed to hold a gun to their heads and FORCE them to play hard if they want the Cup?

Duke33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 01:56 PM
Mothra

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
i was not as much talking about the packers as i was the cleveland browns, but in those days there were not many playoff games.

i agree on the young players issue. this is why i am not sure the issue is boudreau. in general the caps most experienced players are not the players that hurt them in the playoffs. its the kids.

personally, i marvel at the game mike knuble put forth in the clutch. i think when he sees ovechkin or backstrom making a critical mistake, i doubt he points a finger at boudreau.
the question is a simple one.....

is this a well coached team? I think its difficult to look at a team that has made as many big mistakes over the last few games and say it is. This is when it counts....now. This is when you can expect to get another teams best every night and you have to respond with your best. Yes, thats on the players.....but yes, its on the coach too.

part of the reasons im torn on BB is the makeup of his team....especially on D. You think 52 has stepped up his game....i think he has stunk this series, same with 55.

its hard to win in the playoffs when you cant defend a player in front of your net or you play a 2-on-1 as badly as a player can

Mothra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 01:57 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColincampbellOscopy View Post
Woah take it easy. I mean, Bruce is so dumb I bet he wouldn't be smart enough, like the coach in MVP: Most Valuable Primate, to recognize that a Monkey with a bomb for a shot was his key to a championship.

Ever seen Little Big League, where the 12 year old coached the Minnesota Twins? He took them from the basement to the brink of the playoffs. We need that kind of creativity in the lockerroom.
To be fair at least he mentioned movies that were based on true events. And his point is about leadership, which is expressed for all in movies or history books if people care to read. Organizations resemble their leadership. And in sports teams its the coach.

His point is that if detached, self absorbed oscar chasers can grasp it, how hard is it for a die-hard fan... or a Die-Hard II fan?

What we really need is some "Angels in the Crease" since we only have two mortals will to do it.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 02:00 PM
tycoonheart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molseed View Post
Um yeah, great example. The Redskins lost 7 of 9 down the stretch, didn't win a home game after October 10, and got humiliated at home on national TV by a key rival (losing 35-0 after one quarter, great example of them playing hard).

The coach is at fault with the Caps for some things, and the players are at fault for some things. If they aren't going to play hard and hustle and do the things you need to during a game that you learn in pee-wee hockey, honestly why are some of these guys even out there? Is the coach supposed to hold a gun to their heads and FORCE them to play hard if they want the Cup?
Looking at wins/losses isn't going to show you heart, especially when looking at a team like the Redskins that have 0 talent.

Lets take a look at that Eagles game. They NEVER gave up. I hope you watched the entire game. The players played hard even down 35-0, they scored two quick TDs after that. They also scared late into the 4th quarter and Keiland Williams was still breaking tackles to get yards.

Again, compare how these same players played under Zorn to how they played under Shanny. Forget the record. Look their play on the field. Effort/heart wise, they were there. Talent is what was missing.

tycoonheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 02:16 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
The coach is there to put the players in the best possible position to succeed.

I dont know...call me crazy...but they have been in the best possible position to succeed. They just haven't gotten it done.
The easy thing to do is blame the coach....it always is.

I blame the players for not manning and giving a ****. Half of them barley compete for the puck. Is it that they cant or they are not motivated to by the coach?? I dunno. But Bruce has put them all in a position to succeed...they just haven't.

A few changes this offseason to personnel...and tweaks to the PP...this same coach can get it done.
3rd goal against. Up 3-2 on road in playoffs. Down 2-0. Puck in zone. Both Ovi and Backstrom blow out of zone. Giving Fehr no support. Turnover. Game tied. That is coaching. That is strategy. That is 100% BB.

Now he might have communicated to them at intermission that only one can leave zone. But the habits born throughout BB's tenure led to that. Situational hockey is not practiced nor demanded from this group. Talk is one thing. Its up to the leader to determine the amount of resources (time, money, relationship capital) he spends to capture high value areas. I guess that situation is little value to him. Add BB's poor communication skills and his lack of accountability lessened the value of Backstrom or Ovi adhering to his "orders", if he gave them.... notice he calls out Fehr.

Then you add the last 10 min of last night. What a bunch of garbage he put out there with keystone cops, zero structure attack in which we were lucky that Neuvy bailed us out. They had all the chances, save the one centering pass from the left corner. And what did he do with the TV timeout and his own team timeout??? Nothing. He let them continue to attack that way. We were only down 1 freaking goal... and we played into their hands. That long *** ten minutes piss me off more than anything and very simply define his coaching... Once again... in game he's the Russian Miracle. HE'S DOESN'T KNOW WHAT TO DO.

Old
05-04-2011, 02:21 PM
Langway
Floatvechkin

It was 25/90 not 8/19. Point stands, though. They don't think the game well enough. Match that with soft play and it's a recipe for coming up short.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 03:00 PM
Capsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColincampbellOscopy View Post
You mean the coach who rode a hot goalie along with a playoff year that broke perfectly for them to topple an 8 seed playing their 3rd string goalie in a game 7 to win a Cup, then proceeded to miss the playoffs 2 years in a row and then got to the SC finals? How can you doubt that resume?
I corrected it for you.

Capsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 03:02 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by WcRoenick97 View Post
Alzner and Carlson shut Stamkos down all season long. Line change mistake possibly due to the home ice adv?
Kids are elite. But still kids. They had a bad NYR game too. Its why you need structure and more seasoned on ice leadership to hold up and lessen the risks so when the envitable mental lapse happens on a kid, you can overcome.

Old
05-04-2011, 03:07 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
It was 25/90 not 8/19. Point stands, though. They don't think the game well enough. Match that with soft play and it's a recipe for coming up short.
I'll take you word. I know the linemates, but thought when I saw it it was those two. Either way like you said, point stands. Don't care who is doing it.

Old
05-04-2011, 03:16 PM
Chokingdogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Ah yes, the old "the young guys are hungover" excuse.

If you don't have any evidence that they do those things, here's an idea: keep your mouth shut about it.

Plenty of guys that don't skate are still at Kettler getting a thing or three worked on.
i made no mention, at all, about anybody being drunk and/or hungover. Nor do i get where the word "excuse" comes into play.

if you've followed the twitter feeds, all season, you'd have seen optional practices have been sparsely - at best - attended.

I dont know what, exactly, the players that dont attend optional practices do aside from not attending practice. that's the bottom line, they arent at these practices. maybe it would have been a good idea to attend, and do nothing but try different sets on the PP? you know, maybe find something that works on a regular basis?

so here's an idea for you: take a step back and look at the bigger picture here instead of focusing on one or two little things.

Chokingdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 03:28 PM
Monty

In regard to Backstrom and the possible injury, Tarik stated today that based on good sources Backstrom is not dealing with any serious injury; he simply has the bumps and bruises that all players have at this point in May.

Monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 03:44 PM
QuadrupleDeke
33% more deke

Czech Republic vs Russia on Sunday afternoon in the World Championships. With the egg this team laid in the second round so far, I'd almost have preferred an earlier exit so I could watch Ovechkin crush Jagr again.

With them advancing to the second round, now we don't even have that to look forward to.

QuadrupleDeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 02:30 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
Sorry for the thread bump but watched game 3 on the NHL network the other day. Caps for the most part dominating and leading 2-1 and MoJo makes a rookie mistake instead of dumping it in the offensive zone so the caps D can change he back passes splitting the D who are forced to go back and retrieve after a long shift a 15 seconds later tampa scores.

Then that horrid 3rd where 4 minutes in is looking OK when Fehr inexplicably can make an easy clear along the boards and then just falls down (seriously wth). Hannan not mobile enough to get out to stamkos who scores.

Less than a minute later a pass to the slot by tampa and a double skate deflection of a Carlson and the tampa player for a goal. Jeez. DAMN YOU HOCKEY GODZ.

Ovechkin was great in that game. Reminded me of how he played all the time until last regular season, sigh.

Tampa's 3rd line was stout bit time. Lotsa speed.

08-19-2011, 03:24 PM
txpd

you know...that sounds like they lost because of a rookie mistake and two guys that they dumped because they failed. no mention of bruce or 28?

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 03:37 PM
RandyHolt
Kuz My Arse Beach

vCash: 50
I hope Bruce does something different for game 4, and at minimum changes goalies. Holtby is 9-0-1 in his last 10. Varly has a nice resume of surprise pinch hitting.

Use thanks for the breakdown of the goals. But goals against happen to every team and its always easy to point fingers after the fact. Our offense and PP was disjointed disorganized and discombobulated; IMO the root of our failures in all 4 games. Credit needs to be given to Tampa, they waited for a mistake and it worked. Coaching was in play.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 03:39 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

The 2nd line had no chemistry and didn't generate much. Semin made one bad pass on entry to the O zone I noticed but it wasn't one of those bad ones that lead to an odd man break.

MoJo did draw some penalties though later on despite the gaff. And Fehr did screen the goalie very well on the Carlson goal. Knuble was in beast mode on top of the crease. After those two quick goals in the 3rd tampa was fired up and the caps just seemed dazed...

usiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 04:29 PM
Roccoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
you know...that sounds like they lost because of a rookie mistake and two guys that they dumped because they failed. no mention of bruce or 28?
i'm gonna go ahead and order you a baker's dozen of these

Roccoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 06:45 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Oh yeah when tampa took the lead with those two quick goals and start dominating in the 3rd Neuvirth made some amazing saves.

usiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 07:05 PM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roccoman View Post
i'm gonna go ahead and order you a baker's dozen of these

I would wear that just to make people here mad.