HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game 3 Discussion (Tampa) - The BB Titanic

Old
05-03-2011, 10:02 PM
ColincampbellOscopy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortez_the_Killer View Post
bring in perreault.

there i said it.

EDIT: beaten to it!
Perrttu. Trust me guys he can handle it!

ColincampbellOscopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 10:03 PM
WcRoenick97

What's that "5 year plan" at now for being a Cup contender? LOL. Guys, we'll win tomorrow night and then lay an egg at that 12:30 start on Saturday.

WcRoenick97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Capsman

I would advise anyone interested to watch the game again and see all the passing lanes that were available but never used on the offensive end. It's sickening. Tampa's defense had holes for the taking, and I guarantee you will see Boston or Philly utilize them. Not because they will work harder than the Caps, but because they will break these things down on film and know what to look for.

Capsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
SkinsFan09

Quote:
Originally Posted by MugCostanza View Post
I feel really bad for Jason Arnott. Thought he was coming to a cup contending team, plays his ass off, brings vet experience, and everyone gives up in front of him. He is probably dumbfounded with the caps right now.
Seriously? I feel bad that #8 gave his all tonight watching the rest of his team screw around.

SkinsFan09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
EroCaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by WcRoenick97 View Post
What's that "5 year plan" at now for being a Cup contender? LOL. Guys, we'll win tomorrow night and then lay an egg at that 12:30 start on Saturday.
it wouldn't be Caps playoff hockey under Bruce and George without being eliminated at home!

EroCaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 10:05 PM
troyerlaw
Life is party again

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK7117 View Post
I just hope Neuvy doesn't get the hook for next game. Take a look at the last 7 or so minutes. How many times did he keep the Caps in it.

Those 24 seconds are going to haunt me for awhile.
He was 'keeping us in it' at that point. But that was after he had already allowed four goals. None of them were horrible softies, but he certainly wasn't standing on his head either.

I would let Varly have a shot. Neuvy has not been close to spectacular. We need spectacular now. Hail Mary time.

troyerlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 10:05 PM
Semin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinsFan09 View Post
Seriously? I feel bad that #8 gave his all tonight watching the rest of his team screw around.
This. Him racing around Hedman tonight who is a very good skater was just a thing of beauty.

Semin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 10:06 PM
Capsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by WetHog View Post
Taking a high profile, high priced, "Leader" on this team that has been largely ineffective for the entire playoffs and benching him for a critical Game #4 might be just the jolt some on this team could use.

As for him splitting 3 defenders, I've watched every game of this playoffs and I don't recall him doing that. YT link or it didn't happen.
My point is that is essentially his only option. There is no rhyme or reason to our attack outside of dumping the puck, and frankly the dump ins have been atrocious. Too much heat, not enough heat, wrong place, etc.

For the record, Backstrom brought he puck up and broke the line successfully plenty of times. But then it becomes a "then what".

Capsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 10:06 PM
sunnydaycrash

Quote:

aside from Knuble that is

sunnydaycrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 10:07 PM
Semin

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyerlaw View Post
He was 'keeping us in it' at that point. But that was after he had already allowed four goals. None of them were horrible softies, but he certainly wasn't standing on his head either.

I would let Varly have a shot. Neuvy has not been close to spectacular. We need spectacular now. Hail Mary time.
Put in Varly then, as long as Sloan can be that illustrious 13th forward.

Semin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 10:08 PM
Capitlols

Quote:
I don't feel bad for anyone on this team, much less Ovechkin who's sandbagged the entire f*ing year. I worry that the kids would be emotionally scarred growing up in this dysfunctional culture.

Capitlols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 10:08 PM
WcRoenick97

Backstrom just has "fat cat" syndrome. He'll be back in form when we get a real coach.

Old
05-03-2011, 10:10 PM
TampaDude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsman View Post
I would advise anyone interested to watch the game again and see all the passing lanes that were available but never used on the offensive end. It's sickening. Tampa's defense had holes for the taking, and I guarantee you will see Boston or Philly utilize them. Not because they will work harder than the Caps, but because they will break these things down on film and know what to look for.
So, you're saying the Caps can't take advantage of defensive holes?

TampaDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 10:10 PM
Herregud

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceBjoern View Post
I'm not saying Ovie stinks, but he's no leader. He's goofy and funny and a great player, but this team needs a rock for a leader- (Rock, as in sturdy player, not an actual rock) Although I wouldn't mind an actual rock instead of Bruce...
He's definitely lead with his play, which is what I associate with being an on-ice leader. I don't understand where you're coming from exactly. He's had one off-game this entire post-season.

He's talking with his teammates, cheering on the bench, chirping opposing players, scoring/assisting at critical times/in pressure situations.

Who would be your suggestion for a replacement?

Herregud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 10:11 PM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Send a message via MSN to WetHog
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsman View Post
My point is that is essentially his only option. There is no rhyme or reason to our attack outside of dumping the puck, and frankly the dump ins have been atrocious. Too much heat, not enough heat, wrong place, etc.

For the record, Backstrom brought he puck up and broke the line successfully plenty of times. But then it becomes a "then what".
In fairness I am a Nicky fan. I'm just frustrated that he hasn't been Nicky all year. He's earned his big contract and I hope he puts it to good use. I just feel that desperate times call for desperate measures. And what better desperate measure than to take one of two high priced players on this team (Green being the other), who has been playing below his potential, and benching him in favor of a young kid in MP85 that could provide some life to this team. It would send the message of "If he can get benched, then so can I" and that might be just what this team needs. Thats all I'm saying.

I would prefer that than to see Neuvy benched in favor of Varley to provide the mythical "spark". Neuvy has done nothing to warrant a benching and I fear him getting benched could have a negative long-term affect on him.

WetHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 10:13 PM
sunnydaycrash

Quote:
I'm not saying Ovie stinks, but he's no leader. He's goofy and funny and a great player, but this team needs a rock for a leader- (Rock, as in sturdy player, not an actual rock) Although I wouldn't mind an actual rock instead of Bruce...
disagree on the Ovy comment

sunnydaycrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 10:13 PM
ColincampbellOscopy

Backs against the wall, can't afford to lose, have to run the table against a south east division team to keep the season going? F it, put on some 08 Caps, Huet and Fedorov got this.

ColincampbellOscopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 10:15 PM
TRASHCAT

10 bucks the person who replaces bruce wins the adams, and just like bruce's it would have everything to do with the coach he replaced and not his own ability.

TRASHCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 10:15 PM
Langway
Proud Mediocrity

vCash: 301
Quote:
I would settle for a functional second line myself. Or a functional team offense.

Langway is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 10:16 PM
ForzaItalia

I'd started by removing Boudreau and Green. I'm utterly shocked at how passive Green plays during the playoffs. Dude, this isn't shinny.

ForzaItalia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 10:17 PM
troyerlaw
Life is party again

so embarrassing. no backbone.

yes, TB keeps scoring flukey goals off skates & defenders' sticks. yes, our own goals keep getting called back. but still, i go back to Game 1. we were up 2-1, we were swarming all over them. we had fresh legs, they did not. they had a short bench. as downie said afterward, 'they should have buried us.'

but we didn't bury them. we didn't even keep playing hard. it was such a glaring, appalling absence of killer instinct.

i am starting to appreciate just how excruciating it must have been for Blackhawks fans to watch their team scrape and claw back from 3-0 in the series, to force a Game 7 overtime, and then to ... lose. THAT would suck.

i don't see us forcing a Game 7. but i wouldn't be surprised if we still do end up winning 2 games.

in my wildest dreams, i never thought i would ever see anyone asking for MP85 again. i love the guy, but he does seem to engender major disdain, scorn and profanity on this board. i liked the guy who said, 'there i said it. bring 85 back.' that made me smile. unlike anything the Caps did all night long.

troyerlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 10:17 PM
IceBjoern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunindza View Post
He's definitely lead with his play, which is what I associate with being an on-ice leader. I don't understand where you're coming from exactly. He's had one off-game this entire post-season.

He's talking with his teammates, cheering on the bench, chirping opposing players, scoring/assisting at critical times/in pressure situations.

Who would be your suggestion for a replacement?
I don't know.

All I know is that this isn't working.

IceBjoern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 10:19 PM
WcRoenick97

MP needs to come up tomorrow. You know damn well he'll have 2 or 3 goals before this series is over with. Probably 2 tomorrow night.

Old
05-03-2011, 10:20 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Green looks like his old self this round....taking bad angles, looking scared and confused....I might be coming to terms with the idea of moving him....

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 10:22 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Quote:
Originally Posted by WetHog View Post
Your right, my bad. Nicky has played at an all star level, worthy of his contract, all year and in the playoffs. Shame on me.
You have officially made the top 5. It's almost unfathomable, the absolutely profound misinterpretation that you just made of such an incredibly straightforward statement. He specifically referred to separate portions of the season in making the point that Backstrom's play had been better early in the year, suggesting that there at least wasn't a clear correlation with his contract-signing. You fail so, so epically hard. And it's "you're."

Liberati0n* is offline   Reply With Quote