HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game 3 Discussion (Tampa) - The BB Titanic

Old
05-03-2011, 10:25 PM
ForzaItalia

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2012 View Post
Green looks like his old self this round....taking bad angles, looking scared and confused....I might be coming to terms with the idea of moving him....
You have to IMO. It's a start towards removing this "loser" playoff culture.

ForzaItalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
IceBjoern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
I would settle for a functional second line myself. Or a functional team offense.
It's just funny how Caps have gone from a great offensive team with subpar D to a great defensive team with subpar offense, in one year, with the same players! Balance is key it would seem.

IceBjoern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Capitlols

Quote:
Green looks like his old self this round....taking bad angles, looking scared and confused....I might be coming to terms with the idea of moving him....
Unless they want to commit upwards of $6mil per for an erratic, inconsistent, injury-prone, defensive liability. It would be be best to move him, though I feel GMGM does the opposite.

Capitlols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 10:26 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appreci8 View Post
Unless they want to commit upwards of $6mil per for an erratic, inconsistent, injury-prone, defensive liability. It would be be best to move him, though I feel GMGM does the opposite.
There's no way he gets close to that based on his stats...

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 10:27 PM
SnowBlue

Weird that only 1/4th of our big name players are performing while 3/4 for the lightning.

SnowBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 10:28 PM
Mr Gone
Green = Man of Glass

I am ready for the sweep. I can not trust Ted to do anything unless we hit rock bottom. I welcome the coming changes.

Mr Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 10:30 PM
Capitlols

Quote:
There's no way he gets close to that based on his stats...
Key word 'upwards', he could get $6mil seeing the hefty contract a guy like Byfuglien got.

Old
05-03-2011, 10:30 PM
ForzaItalia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gone View Post
I am ready for the sweep. I can not trust Ted to do anything unless we hit rock bottom. I welcome the coming changes.
I was saying the exact same thing to a buddy at the bar tonight. Sweep. Make the necessary changes.

ForzaItalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 10:32 PM
Mr Gone
Green = Man of Glass

Quote:
Key word 'upwards', he could get $6mil seeing the hefty contract a guy like Byfuglien got.
He is going to get paid on his numbers in BB gimmick system. The same system that has given the team four years of bad habits.

Mr Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 10:33 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Lol if Green has a postseason the likes of what DB had on the way to a Cup, I would be happy with that.....sadly Green has 2 great seasons under his belt, none current, and a resume full of failure....

Old
05-03-2011, 10:35 PM
Portable Mink
Go Walker!

our players have all the skill in the world and no real coaching.
thats what i see and have seen shine through in the playoffs the last 3 seasons.

players arent being TAUGHT well enough.
they are confused, they are indecisive and they are being told "common guys we are better than that, we are the best!" instead of being mentally trained and coached like any team who values inprovement should be.

the system change was a positional change. it wasnt much more than that. there is an inconsistent steely resolve that seems to come in and out of their mindset rather than being a constant state.

they say how much they want to win, how much last season hurt, but i dont really think they know how to be better mentally and how to beat strategic difficulties that opponents have tried against them to great success.

i think that a lot of coaches could get this team into the playoffs. i think that the drop off once we are in the playoffs and there is an opposition that thinks through strategies and game plans against our players and style, is so significant, that it points directly to a mentality and coaching flaw.

i love BB for what he did to this team taking over, helping Ovi get his awards, helping Green become an offensive game breaker.... but the honeymoon is over. and with the talent that we possess and the great blend of skillsets that we have, we arent getting enough bang for our buck and from here on out, that bang is in the playoffs, not the regular season.

Ive seen my Aussie Rules football team hover around the middle/bottom of the ladder for 3 years with its coach. knowing the list was good, not being able to figure out why we could beat a good team one week and lose to a crap team the next. This year our greatest ever player took over as coach and INSTANTLY, i mean INSTANTLY, we are a contender.

sometimes a good team can hide the real flaws that exist. this team needs teachers to help with their games and past warriors to help with their mentality and approach to playing consistent driven hockey.

Portable Mink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 10:37 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Someguy View Post
Capitals have too many Euros who can't elevate their game in the playoffs. It's the same thing, year after year, after year.
Yet the Detroit Red Wings have succeeded with even more Euros.

BiPolar Caps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 10:38 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

I can't believe this ****ing team is going to make me pay attention to baseball in May.

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 10:39 PM
sunnydaycrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref9 View Post
Yet the Detroit Red Wings have succeeded with even more Euros.
but.........that was with Scotty Bowman and Mike Babcock

I like BB but it`s dumbfounding that the Caps always seem to run into a system they can`t get by

sunnydaycrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 10:40 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

This is what $6400 worth of season tickets buys me? Thanks Ted.

Old
05-03-2011, 10:43 PM
Capitlols

Quote:
This is what $6400 worth of season tickets buys me? Thanks Ted.
Its all part of the plan

Old
05-03-2011, 10:43 PM
sunnydaycrash

It`s a thing of beauty to watch Kesler, Higgins and Burrows play in the playoffs

Old
05-03-2011, 10:45 PM
Atlas

McPhee and Boudreau both have to go, folks. McPhee has hired three loser coaches: Bruce Cassidy (!), Glen Hanlon, and Bruce Boudreau. Ron Wilson was a good coach but was hired at the same time as McPhee (by Abe Pollin, I think). That was 1997--a long time, gents.

It was plain during the press conferences following the loss to Montreal in last year's playoffs that McPhee and Boudreau are out of their element at this level.

They are an embarrassment to the Washington Capitals organization.

Tampa Bay brings in Steve Yzerman--a Hall of Fame champion--and puts a better team together in one year than McPhee could do in fourteen years.

Winners win. Winners know what it takes. McPhee and Boudreau are second tier guys--not champions.

Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 10:47 PM
Portable Mink
Go Walker!

and thats essentially it.

BB has been a great coach but playoffs at the very top level in the sport, are just beyond him and thats just the way it is.

his personality is just so different to those previous cup winning coaches. you can tell just by looking in their eyes and how they conduct themselves. theres no killer instinct there.

Old
05-03-2011, 10:48 PM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

Ron Wilson is called a good coach. I am taking crazy pills.

05-03-2011, 10:48 PM
sunnydaycrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
McPhee and Boudreau both have to go, folks. McPhee has hired three loser coaches: Bruce Cassidy (!), Glen Hanlon, and Bruce Boudreau. Ron Wilson was a good coach but was hired at the same time as McPhee (by Abe Pollin, I think). That was 1997--a long time, gents.

It was plain during the press conferences following the loss to Montreal in last year's playoffs that McPhee and Boudreau are out of their element at this level.

They are an embarrassment to the Washington Capitals organization.

Tampa Bay brings in Steve Yzerman--a Hall of Fame champion--and puts a better team together in one year than McPhee could do in fourteen years.

Winners win. Winners know what it takes. McPhee and Boudreau are second tier guys--not champions.
I agree with some of what you said....but I wouldn`t say BB is a loser....best winning % of any coach in his first 250 games.....just can`t get this team over the hump and if they lose tomorrow, it`s time for a change, but I`m sure he will get another coaching job in the NHL.

Old
05-03-2011, 10:55 PM
troyerlaw
Life is party again

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceBjoern View Post
It's just funny how Caps have gone from a great offensive team with subpar D to a great defensive team with subpar offense, in one year, with the same players! Balance is key it would seem.
great defensive team???

for the balance of regular season, maybe, but tonight we were SOFT.

troyerlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 10:56 PM
Portable Mink
Go Walker!

Fire Butch!!!!
Fire Sapper!!!

Old
05-03-2011, 10:57 PM
troyerlaw
Life is party again

i hope they ditch both GMGM and BB. time for fresh start.

in other news, i think we still win next 2 games of this series.

then again, i said that yesterday too.

troyerlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 10:58 PM
itsjustsurvival
The Revisionist

Besides the lack of Backstrom contributing, and injuries are definitely in play here, but I think the composition of the Capitals D needs be altered. They are carrying too much dead weight in regards to salary and roster spots. This is more criticism of the team as a whole than just these playoffs.

It just got my attention tonight, as the Caps were rolling 4-5-6 forwards at a time. Green hurt on the bench, Schultz completely useless, and Tom Poti still not playing(not really a fan when he is either). The Caps have a ton of salary tied up in defensive core that hasn't really shown up in the playoffs(and like I said before, I know there are injuries).

Outside of Carlson/Alzner and Erskine there are some big issues that need to be addressed.

Schultz and Poti need to not be here.The most shocking thing this year was the fact Tom Poti got extended. Poti adds nothing to the blue line because he never plays. Now I haven't chimed in on Jeff Schultz much over the years, but he is neither physical nor that good at moving the puck...or much of anything it seems.

Is Mike Green the top tier defenseman you need to win? Because he'll be paid like one. I like Green, but that's a question that came to mind as well.

There are several players that are "core" players that aren't making this team any better is my point I guess. Would a new coach help? Sure. But, if Backstrom, Green, and Semin aren't going to consistently contribute, it is going to be pretty hard to win much of anything in the post season.

Still think the Caps have a chance in this series all things considered.

itsjustsurvival is offline   Reply With Quote