HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

WCSF: Game 4 - Canucks def. Predators - 4-2

Closed Thread

Old
05-04-2011, 09:36 AM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
The Modfather

vCash: 50
WCSF: Game 4 - Canucks def. Predators - 4-2

Vancouver Canucks vs. Nashville Predators

Canucks lead series 2-1

WHEN: Thursday, May 5th, 5:30PM PST
WHERE: Bridgestone Arena, Nashville, TN
TV: CBC, VS, RDS
RADIO: TEAM 1040AM

Vancouver Canucks' Starting Lineup:
D. Sedin - H. Sedin - Burrows
Higgins - Kesler - Raymond
Torres - Lapierre - Hansen
Glass - Hodgson - Samuelsson

Bieksa - Hamhuis
Edler - Ehrhoff
Rome - Salo

Luongo

Nashville Predators' Starting Lineup:
Kostitsyn - Fisher - Hornqvist
Ward - Legwand - Erat
Tootoo - Smithson - Spaling
Wilson - Geoffrion - Halischuk

Weber - Suter
Klein - Blum
Franson - O'Brien

Rinne

Game Notes:
- Vancouver D Sami Salo is in for Vancouver, D Andrew Alberts will sit.
- Nashville F Steve Sullivan will likely miss the rest of the series. F Colin Wilson will take his place in the lineup tonight.

The Last Meeting:

Ryan Kesler finally scored, it's been such a long time! Now onto Game 4, let's roll!

Last edited by Mr. Canucklehead: 05-05-2011 at 12:41 PM.
Old
05-04-2011, 09:44 AM
Eddy Punch Clock
Go Herbvat

vCash: 500
Just wi.... just don't get scored on late in the third yet again!

(and win)

Old
05-04-2011, 10:28 AM
The Big Foot

Couple questions about the Preds lineup...obviously can't ask on their board without getting accused of trolling, so does anyone know:

1. Will Sullivan play again? Bad collision, and he hasn't been effective anyways.

2. Why not bring in one or both of Colin Wilson and JP Dumont?

I haven't been impressed at all with their "skill" players - Erat and Kostitsyn. I put both in the same category as Mason Raymond. Erat would get roasted if he played here...think Demitra with less production. At least Raymond is a top-notch penalty killer.

We got a good bounce on the winner last night, maybe we'll get some more in game 4 and blow it wide open. Canucks are the better team. I thought Luongo has matched up pretty well against a very hot goalie. Rinne looked downright bad on the first two goals (bad plays by his D on both though).

Pretty safe bet that Oreo will be back in for Hodgson. Anyone else notice Healy/Simpson going on and on about how AV trusted his fourth line, and that depth was huge in a playoff run. Well too bad he was talking about the third line! D-oh. I don't think I saw the fourth line in the third or in the OT.

Old
05-04-2011, 10:57 AM
billvanseattle

Bandwagon

bandwagon space once again limited; spots available but they are expensive.

The shocks on the bandwagon will need replacing at the end of the season due to the damage caused by people jumping on and off the wagon.

Old
05-04-2011, 11:22 AM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

vCash: 696
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Hopefully we can go in and pull out another win. Great clutch effort by Kesler last game. He got 2 goals and hopefully he now gets on a roll.

Our top line (Higgins/Burrows-Kesler-Raymond) has looked amazing out there. They're going into the dirty areas, winning battles, playing an up-tempo game, getting scoring chances, solid defensively, and scoring goals. They're playing an amazing style of playoff hockey right now and without them we'd be blown out this series.

The Sedins have GOT to do something and get going. Another mediocre effort by them last night. It looks like Henrik may have sustained an injury last night, but regardless he hadn't been good enough prior to last night either. Daniel got a second assist, and really didn't have much to do on that first goal but I know people will look at the stat sheet and say "hey, he got a point, that's one point per game." He needs to show up and get some goals. If the Sedins were going, we'd have 2 dangerous lines and we would be virtually unstoppable. This series would be over in 4 if the Sedins were playing like the Kesler line.

Let's hope for a better effort from the Sedin line tomorrow, sustained effort from the Kesler line, and sustained effort from the Lapierre line which has looked really good too. Take 2 in Nashville then close it out at home on Saturday. Scalpers will rejoice!

05-04-2011, 11:28 AM
Proto

vCash: 833
Henrik didn't sustain and injury last night. It looks to me like he's been injured for the whole playoffs (and probably the latter part of the season). Lower back is the most likely culprit given how he's been moving and the way he's been stretching it out in between whistles.

I might be alone on this, but I was happy with the Sedins game last night. Good offensive pressure, a few good chances, Daniel was shooting more (couple great shots off the rush), and they played really well on the power play, even if they only had 1 assist to show for it.

Old
05-04-2011, 11:41 AM
VanEric

Kesler wouldn't have scored those two goals without the Sedins. Nobody can objectively say otherwise, IMO.

Old
05-04-2011, 11:42 AM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauser View Post
Hopefully we can go in and pull out another win. Great clutch effort by Kesler last game. He got 2 goals and hopefully he now gets on a roll.

Our top line (Higgins/Burrows-Kesler-Raymond) has looked amazing out there. They're going into the dirty areas, winning battles, playing an up-tempo game, getting scoring chances, solid defensively, and scoring goals. They're playing an amazing style of playoff hockey right now and without them we'd be blown out this series.

The Sedins have GOT to do something and get going. Another mediocre effort by them last night. It looks like Henrik may have sustained an injury last night, but regardless he hadn't been good enough prior to last night either. Daniel got a second assist, and really didn't have much to do on that first goal but I know people will look at the stat sheet and say "hey, he got a point, that's one point per game." He needs to show up and get some goals. If the Sedins were going, we'd have 2 dangerous lines and we would be virtually unstoppable. This series would be over in 4 if the Sedins were playing like the Kesler line.

Let's hope for a better effort from the Sedin line tomorrow, sustained effort from the Kesler line, and sustained effort from the Lapierre line which has looked really good too. Take 2 in Nashville then close it out at home on Saturday. Scalpers will rejoice!
Henrik may have tweaked an injury last night but it's pretty obvious he's been playing hurt since the end of the regular season. I don't even want to imagine what our centre ice depth will look like if Henrik doesn't continue to gut out this injury. Kesler, Lapierre, Hodgson, Bolduc? Yikes.

If the Canucks are going to advance past San Jose or Detroit they'll need Henrik Sedin healthier than he is right now. Taking this series in 5 games is a must to get our banged up players some rest and that has to be the goal right now.

If Raffi Torres doesn't score on cinco de Mayo, he'll never score.

How come Tanner Glass couldn't crack the playoff roster last year and now he's a permanent fixture on a better, deeper forward corps this time around? He's simply not capable of performing at this level when the opposition is playing at playoff level intensity. Jeff Tambellini has to step into his roster spot immediately to allow us to roll 4 lines. We just don't have time for any more of Alain Vigneault's pet projects.

I think we're going to see Daniel Sedin playing alongside Ryan Kesler before these playoffs are through. Whether it's with Henrik on the 2nd line or watching from the press box remains to be seen.

Old
05-04-2011, 11:49 AM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

vCash: 696
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanEric View Post
Kesler wouldn't have scored those two goals without the Sedins. Nobody can objectively say otherwise, IMO.
Uhhhh...on the last goal Ehrhoff passed the puck to Samuelsson who shot it and Kesler tipped it in. The Sedins were on the ice, but they weren't in on the play.

The first goal Daniel passed to Ehrhoff who did all the work, getting Rinne out of position, skating behind the goal and passing off to Kesler who was standing in front of the net. Daniel and Henrik really didn't do much on that play.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/icetracker.htm?id=2010030233

Re-watch the plays for yourself if you think they had a major impact on those goals

Old
05-04-2011, 11:52 AM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
The Modfather

I actually thought the Twins had one of their best games in a while. Factored in on the 1st and 3rd goals and, along with Burrows, had a lot offfensive zone pressure and opportunities last night. Obviously the best line of the game was Higgins - Kesler - Raymond, but I thought the Twins were very good too.

Old
05-04-2011, 11:55 AM
kevinsane
Lundqvist clone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
If Raffi Torres doesn't score on cinco de Mayo, he'll never score.
Brilliant!

Old
05-04-2011, 11:55 AM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
Rome - Alberts

Game Notes:
- Vancouver D Sami Salo may play in Game 4 (lower body injury, day-today)
...so Ballard is now 8th on the depth chart. What a steal of a trade eh?

Would be nice if somebody in the media would actually call AV on this - unless they see something that I don't see.

Old
05-04-2011, 11:59 AM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
The Modfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
...so Ballard is now 8th on the depth chart. What a steal of a trade eh?

Would be nice if somebody in the media would actually call AV on this - unless they see something that I don't see.
Botchford has been pretty vocal about his displeasure in it, but he's really the only one. Murph--correctly--said that Ballard vs. Rome is the least of the Canucks' concerns(in advance of last night's game, said the Twins getting going was by far a bigger worry).

But anyway...

I thought Rome actually had a solid Game 3. Alberts too(with the exception of one awful gaffe in front of his own net...was it in the 3rd or OT? Either way, I was having heart palpitations). Rome will likely stick, but it wouldn't surprise me to see them rotate Alberts/Ballard until one of them asserts themselves.

Of course if Salo is back, they both sit more than likely.

Old
05-04-2011, 12:02 PM
Barney Gumble

Found it odd that of the two (Rome/Ballard) - Ballard was the guy that got scratched when it was Rome who was caught out of position on the OT Preds goal in game 2. But, looking at the season to date, perhaps it isn't surprising (if we lose a game - he's the guy that seems to always get scratched).

Old
05-04-2011, 12:02 PM
Connecticut

Quote:
Uhhhh...on the last goal Ehrhoff passed the puck to Samuelsson who shot it and Kesler tipped it in. The Sedins were on the ice, but they weren't in on the play.

The first goal Daniel passed to Ehrhoff who did all the work, getting Rinne out of position, skating behind the goal and passing off to Kesler who was standing in front of the net. Daniel and Henrik really didn't do much on that play.

Re-watch the plays for yourself if you think they had a major impact on those goals
You're really incapable of giving the Sedins credit for anything, are you? The two zone entry passes on Kesler's first goal were excellent. I'm not taking any credit away from Ehrhoff, who showed great patience, or Kesler who did a fantastic job getting position in front of the net and burying. But that goal doesn't happen without two great passes.

They may not deserve huge credit for the OT goal, but even there a good case can be made. They contributed to keeping control of the puck for a very long time in the Preds' zone, moving the defense around and tiring them out. Daniel was also screening Rinne along with Kesler on the shot from the point.

Those plays don't make them the #1 and #2 stars of the game, but I see your and raise you

Old
05-04-2011, 12:03 PM
VanEric

Quote:

You have a loose definition of what doing something means. The tip-in goal developed because of the puck movement done by the Sedins to setup those lanes.

It's ok, you really don't want to give them any sort of credit for anything and that's been established.

Old
05-04-2011, 12:04 PM
Proto

vCash: 833
Everything you needed to know about what's wrong with the NHL in one quote, from Dreger today: "The NHL doesn't like when playoff games are decided by power play goals, especially in overtime, so Legwand and all of the Nashville representatives who openly criticized Tim Peel and his call will get a free pass. "

How idiotic is that? They don't mind the games being decided by bad/chintzy calls and will fine Gillis, but not Nashville players/coaches because the NHL has an unwritten blanket policy about not liking overtime penalties? Dumb.

Old
05-04-2011, 12:05 PM
Bobby Lou
Moustache Power

vCash: 894
Musical chairs on defense...Ballard back?

I've been feeling we're due for an offensive break-out here (though I felt that way last game); it's only a matter of time if the series continues this way that we start scoring some goals. People complain about us sitting back, but the Preds sit back constantly. There are a couple of points in this series where we should have multi-goal leads.

Old
05-04-2011, 12:07 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
Everything you needed to know about what's wrong with the NHL in one quote, from Dreger today: "The NHL doesn't like when playoff games are decided by power play goals, especially in overtime, so Legwand and all of the Nashville representatives who openly criticized Tim Peel and his call will get a free pass. "
So that's why the opposition teams have gotten four power plays in the previous three previous OT games involving the Canucks this post-season - while the Canucks received ZERO power plays.

Old
05-04-2011, 12:07 PM
VanEric

We gotta take Hodgson out for sure. It's not in his wheelhouse right now to play a team like Nashville that sits and waits for your mistakes.

Old
05-04-2011, 12:08 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanEric View Post
We gotta take Hodgson out for sure. It's not in his wheelhouse right now to play a team like Nashville that sits and waits for your mistakes.
May as well send him down to the Moose and give him some real icetime.

Old
05-04-2011, 12:10 PM
The Big Foot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post

How idiotic is that? They don't mind the games being decided by bad/chintzy calls and will fine Gillis, but not Nashville players/coaches because the NHL has an unwritten blanket policy about not liking overtime penalties? Dumb.
Such a double standard. We are getting shafted constantly because we have dominant special teams. This call last night will probably just further lead to unfair officiating. The Canucks get called for penalties in OT, display brilliant penalty killing, and noone says a word...other way around, and they are "giftwrapped a win".

Old
05-04-2011, 12:11 PM
VanEric

Quote:
I think he could be useful against San Jose or Detroit if we advance because there's some time and space to use his skill. If you send him to the Moose, he could easily get hurt which I think is their fear.

Old
05-04-2011, 12:12 PM
Intangibos

**** it, I'm buying a Rome jersey. Here are my reasons:

1. He will be our #1 soon enough.
2. Oh god it's like trolling all of Vancouver

Old
05-04-2011, 12:16 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
We only have 1 or 2 callups left and if the Moose do somehow win the series they're in right now (unlikely, but never say never) then that could become a problem. Also I doubt they want him to get injured playing for the Moose...

Closed Thread