HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

WCSF: Game 4 - Canucks def. Predators - 4-2

Closed Thread

Old
05-04-2011, 02:27 PM
Connecticut

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Lou View Post
Trotz complaining about the Canucks embellishing to get calls; funny, he said the same thing about Anaheim. Apparently it's just any team that doesn't let the Predators get away with shameless clutching and grabbing.
Agreed -- I love that Trotz is somehow continually shocked that the NHL doesn't just allow defence by any means necessary. Although it seems the refs often give him good reason to hold that belief.

Old
05-04-2011, 02:34 PM
wholesickcrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportix View Post
Canucks should finish up the Preds in five now. A tad worried about next series though. The obvious is the Sedins and Luongo are going to have to bring a better game. How Higgins has more desire and fight then the Sedins is beyond me. I hope the Sedins can prove my theory on Swedish payers wrong but man its hard to watch them float around the ice.
If you still have a "theory on Swedish players" after players like Forsberg, Zetterberg, and Lidstrom have won Cups, I bet nothing will change it.

Old
05-04-2011, 02:36 PM
Dhillon

Quote:
I don't know how you can say the league doesn't have an anti-Canucks bias after that statement; obviously, they'd have a problem if the Canucks complained about a penalty in OT, but since it's the Preds 'no big deal'.
Preds don't have the money to pay the fine.

Old
05-04-2011, 02:40 PM
Momesso
High-End Intangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
While I don't think their other two pairings have taken much beating, Weber and Suter have been abused to no end. Last night they looked like they were going to spit out their lungs any moment.
They're playing much more than they're used to, and credit to our guys as a whole for making them skate like hell even when they're not hit. Amp it up and IMO we'll start to see some more turnovers (or some more SOB, which can't hurt, lol).

Old
05-04-2011, 02:40 PM
Timmer44

vCash: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhillon View Post
Preds don't have the money to pay the fine.
Even worse, revenue sharing would force the Canucks to pay some of the fine anyways.

Old
05-04-2011, 02:42 PM
colonel_korn
Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantalum View Post
There is a difference. Legwand was a heat of the moment type of thing. Gillis I believe talked to the NHL prior to making his remarks to the press. If what I remember is correct, Gillis was likely warned that if he went to the press with the grievance he would be fined. So not really a fine for complaining about officiating but because he annoyed the head office.
I agree that the two situations are different, but players get fined for criticizing officials in the heat of the moment as well. Burrows got $2500 for his comments on Auger for instance. I mean, player fines are just a slap on the wrist at any rate, but some consistency would be nice. If Legwand gets off scot-free then the NHL is implying that his comments are OK, not to mention letting their official get thrown under the bus. Especially since Legwand singled him out by name.

Old
05-04-2011, 02:51 PM
Canucker
Go Hawks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
I can't even believe that quote from Dreger...wow. So the NHL doesn't like games decided by PP goals. They must have really hated all those PP goals the Hawks racked up in the 1st round...aiya.

I get the frustration over the Weber penalty; honestly, I thought that was a good puck battle and you either call them both or call neither of them(being playoff OT, I expect the latter). But given the missed calls in Game 2 in OT (particularly on Hansen) and the questionable hit on Bieksa right before, you had to expect a makeup call was coming.

Legwand's remark was far more personal and far more direct than any of Gillis' comments, and he gets a free pass because "they lost"?

Well gee, the Canucks lost in Game 6 before Gillis made his comments.

What a double standard.
Dreger's entire piece really isn't that bad. I'm sure the NHL doesn't like to see playoff OT games settled on the PP, simply because there will inevitably be people *****ing about the reffing. I think thats the point he's trying to make. I do agree that Legwand should be fined, it's not like $2500 is going to kill the guy. Especially in light of what Gillis likely had to pay for his comments.

Old
05-04-2011, 02:58 PM
Proto

Am I the only one that finds it embarrassing that our local media is spending all day analyzing replay to see if a stick touched Luongo's mask before he turned away? Farhan suggesting Canucks will get an early penalty next game because of it. First of all, is it illegal to turn away before a stick hits you, or do you have to wait for it to make contact? Second, the Canucks catch one break and it's all our local media can do to fall all over themselves making sure it doesn't happen again.

No wonder most of the players hate the media in this town.

Old
05-04-2011, 03:02 PM
Brain Sergeant
Squirrel!

Quote:
Trotz complaining about the Canucks embellishing to get calls; funny, he said the same thing about Anaheim. Apparently it's just any team that doesn't let the Predators get away with shameless clutching and grabbing.
Which is pretty rich. I have a friend in Anaheim (Ducks fan obviously) who is one of the more knowledgable California hockey fan I know, and he was just saying that the whole thing with everyone calling the Canucks divers is hilarious because the Predators were diving like crazy all through their first round series.

Old
05-04-2011, 03:06 PM
luongoisdaman

Which is funnier:

1) Coach Q saying that they could've scored 4 goals on the Torres non-call; OR
2) Trotz saying that the 'Nucks are divers

??

Old
05-04-2011, 03:16 PM
PRNuck
Retain Kevin Lowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
Am I the only one that finds it embarrassing that our local media is spending all day analyzing replay to see if a stick touched Luongo's mask before he turned away? Farhan suggesting Canucks will get an early penalty next game because of it. First of all, is it illegal to turn away before a stick hits you, or do you have to wait for it to make contact? Second, the Canucks catch one break and it's all our local media can do to fall all over themselves making sure it doesn't happen again.

Haha ffs. Apparently Farhan is not familiar with reflexes.

Old
05-04-2011, 03:23 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
The Modfather

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by luongoisdaman View Post
Which is funnier:

1) Coach Q saying that they could've scored 4 goals on the Torres non-call; OR
2) Trotz saying that the 'Nucks are divers

??
Still Coach Q. I wouldn't disagree that the Canucks have sold a few calls, but I don't think the Predators are 100% innocent either--nor is any team.

Old
05-04-2011, 03:30 PM
Canuckommunist

If the Preds hadn't gotten the call not us they'd be laughing though they probably would not have even scored, their PP is brutal. We've dealt with bad-calls through both series', lost games because of it and even in the deciding game of the Chicago series we had two freakin' penalties in OT. Their *****ing is understandable, as I would had it been the Canucks who got that call, but I wouldn't think much of it.

I hope we win in regulation on Thurs though.

Old
05-04-2011, 03:37 PM
BAuldie

Send a message via ICQ to BAuldie Send a message via MSN to BAuldie
This series reminds me so much of our series vs Anaheim on 07.

An anemic offense with world class goaltending.. winning Game 2 in ot.. losing a close game 3 at home 3-2..

It's just we are on the other side of the fence this time.

Old
05-04-2011, 03:37 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
The Modfather

Fun fact - my brother in law will be the mountie in the red surge for the anthems at Rogers Arena on Saturday for Game 5.

Hopefully we'll be up 3-1 by then...

And just as hopefully, one or both of the Twins will have scored by then.

Old
05-04-2011, 03:59 PM
Sportix*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post

Dan Russels sports talk was 2 hours of him and that castoff Brooke Ward bashing the Canucks as a digrace to hockey.

Old
05-04-2011, 04:03 PM
The Big Foot

Quote:
Dan Russels sports talk was 2 hours of him and that castoff Brooke Ward bashing the Canucks as a digrace to hockey.
I don't get why those clowns are allowed on the radio.

Old
05-04-2011, 04:05 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
The Modfather

People still listen to CKNW now that they don't have the Canucks on...?

Old
05-04-2011, 04:09 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:

It's been that way since Russell didn't get the Canucks gig eons ago (he holds a grudge longer than Brian Burke).

Old
05-04-2011, 04:13 PM
Canucker
Go Hawks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post

It's been that way since Russell didn't get the Canucks gig eons ago (he holds a grudge longer than Brian Burke).
But not longer than Wetcoaster.

Old
05-04-2011, 04:14 PM
Sportix*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post

I am not a fan of Shorty's voice but Russel would make it sound like a high school game.

Old
05-04-2011, 04:18 PM
Crows*

I was at a Vancouver giants playoff game during the NHL lockout, Dan russell was doing the commentary for shaw, and the broadcast area is kind of right in the seats. We were sitting right behind him and we were heckling him the whole game. Asking him where he was hiding his nuts, and where his bruins jersey was. Also told him to quiet down because we couldn't hear the game over his shrill voice.

He's an angry man.. he didn't get the canucks gig and his station lost the rights. Only bed ridden seniors listen to his show now.

Old
05-04-2011, 04:22 PM
dingdong

I hope Vancouver gets more penalties next game. Nashville, after a few more of their famous 'stay in their own zone' powerplays, will be calling uncle.

Old
05-04-2011, 04:24 PM
Crows*

I have never been less scared of an opposing teams powerplay, than the preds. IT's downright horrible.

Old
05-04-2011, 04:35 PM
Meganuck*

The Preds PP kills any momentum they have.

Closed Thread