Christian Ponder, QB, FSU (ACC) 7 17.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old
05-04-2011, 11:00 AM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Team Board Mock Draft

This will be a poll moving to each team's board for the corresponding pick in the draft.

Who will the Wild draft?

1 Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, C, Red Deer (WHL)

2 Adam Larsson, D, Skelleftea (SEL)

3 Gabriel Landeskog, LW, Kitchner (OHL)

4 Sean Couturier, C, Drummondville, (QMJHL)

5 Jonathan Huberdeau, C, St. John (QMJHL)

6 Ryan Strome, C, Niagara (OHL)

7 :thrashers Mika Zibanejad, C, Djurgarden (SEL)

8 Ryan Murphy, D, Kitchner (OHL)

9 Dougie Hamilton, D, Niagara (OHL)

Hasbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 11:15 AM
nickschultzfan

Armia. We need a sniping winger. Armia is that.

Or trade back to 15-19, pick up a 2nd, and draft Puempel/McNeil/Beaulieu/Bartschi.

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 11:39 AM
Surly Furious

vCash: 528
There are some nice players there - I wouldn't mind if the Wild got creative and moved up/down, but they can get a player at 10.

At 10, I could see Armia, Bartschi, or Seimens.

Trading down and getting a guy like Beaulieu, Biggs, Puempel or McNeill would be plan B.

Plan would be trading Barker and our 1st and moving up to grab Landeskog.

Last edited by Surly Furious: 05-04-2011 at 11:50 AM.
Surly Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 11:44 AM
Generic User
Dynamic as they come

I'd rather them play it safe and take the guy they want instead of moving back 5-8 spots hoping he/they fall to us. Voted Beaulieu. Don't think he makes it past #14 at the very least. If we don't take him I think he'll go 11 or 12.

Generic User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 11:51 AM
UMD05
Hobey Baker Champs

Want McNeill, think they'll pick Armia.

UMD05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 12:11 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

You know what's funny is that Bruins draft watch compared Armia to Mikko Lehtonen recently. I would lean Armia because he has the offensive talent and ability, but I'm worried his laziness in backchecking would make him another Benoit Pouliot, especially once he gets a contract. Anyways, the team desperately needs some excitement, and even though he's not an explosive player, a finisher is a nice thing to have. Perhaps with Finnish leaders like Koivu and Backstrom he will mature more.

Beaulieu I'm really warming up to. He seems to be coming on a lot more lately and is putting up a PPG in the playoffs. He's good at both ends of the ice. I think he could be a top four D-man for many years with the Wild.

McNeil I really think compares to Mikko Koivu, maybe not in terms of talent, but in terms of his game, at least from what I've read. Tough, bigger player, good with the puck, not overly physical but definitely not soft, good hands, more of a playmaker than shooter. Trouble is, we've got a lot of playmakers. You never want to deny skill though, especially with a player who has some size and isn't soft.

The rest of them I'm not so big on. And I'm not a scout and haven't watched their games so I'm only familiar with other scouts' reports. But for me I'd go with Armia, closely followed by Beaulieu.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 12:59 PM
Caior89

vCash: 353
Sven Bartschi would be nice, with all his speedy and talent, but, he is only 5'10 and probably is gonna take some time to develop. My pick is Joel Armia, as size, fast and a sniper. As ppl said before, needs to improve his defensive play and be more consistent.

Caior89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 01:06 PM
nickschultzfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
You know what's funny is that Bruins draft watch compared Armia to Mikko Lehtonen recently. I would lean Armia because he has the offensive talent and ability, but I'm worried his laziness in backchecking would make him another Benoit Pouliot, especially once he gets a contract. Anyways, the team desperately needs some excitement, and even though he's not an explosive player, a finisher is a nice thing to have. Perhaps with Finnish leaders like Koivu and Backstrom he will mature more.

Beaulieu I'm really warming up to. He seems to be coming on a lot more lately and is putting up a PPG in the playoffs. He's good at both ends of the ice. I think he could be a top four D-man for many years with the Wild.

McNeil I really think compares to Mikko Koivu, maybe not in terms of talent, but in terms of his game, at least from what I've read. Tough, bigger player, good with the puck, not overly physical but definitely not soft, good hands, more of a playmaker than shooter. Trouble is, we've got a lot of playmakers. You never want to deny skill though, especially with a player who has some size and isn't soft.

The rest of them I'm not so big on. And I'm not a scout and haven't watched their games so I'm only familiar with other scouts' reports. But for me I'd go with Armia, closely followed by Beaulieu.
The main problem with Pouliot, IMO, wasn't his laziness. It was his complete lack of hockey sense. The guy has all the physical tools and zero hockey brain. He is the anti-Brunette. Nobody would have cared that he was a floater if he put in 20-25 goals. But he can't because he doesn't read the play well. And because of that, he has a hard time creating any offense what-so-ever. He just became a guy who could occasionally score off a broken-play by the defense, becauseof his great shot.

Hopefully, Armia doesn't have that problem. I can see the physical similiarities between Pouliot and Armia, but Armia seems to have a hell of a lot better mind for the game - both from the scoring and playmaking sides of the game.

I could be wrong and they could be the same player, but I think it's important to realize WHY Pouliot busted, rather than just assuming he had a great hockey mind because he had such great physical puck skills.

Old
05-04-2011, 01:09 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
LOL Ponder

Nate B for me. Looks like we got a keeper with Granlund but i can't help but think our leadership is less excited about our defensive prospects now than they were last year.
Armia would be choice number 2--a close one.

rynryn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 02:38 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

If Pouliot had gave half a crap about the defensive zone, he would have made a much better 3rd/4th liner and have gotten in the lineup a couple years earlier. Lots of 3rd/4th liners have little hockey sense but can still make a difference (look at Clutterbuck).

Old
05-04-2011, 02:59 PM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

I'm stuck between Barstchi, Armia, McNeil and Ponder. Haven't decided who yet...

Circulartheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 03:27 PM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

So far from what I can gather:

Mark McNeil - Tough, power forward. Good offensive skills, likes to play physical, protects the puck well. Well-rounded prospect with grit

Sven Bartschi - Great shot as well as speed. Can get into the right places for the shot. Tend to shy from the dirty areas.

Joel Armia - Great offensive talent. Good skater, great puckhandling skills as well as scoring ability. Inconsistent away from the puck.

------------------

Decided to pick Armia. Sounds like he has the greatest offensive upside out of all these three. The team lacks offensive talents and Armia can potentially give us that boost. His also a lanky player so when he puts on some muscle, he'll be even better. His inconsistent defense can be worked on. Also, being Finnish is a plus with Granlund and Koivu looking to be the future of the Wild. He will compliment Granlund very well.

Old
05-04-2011, 03:34 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

But could Ponder......

....wait for it......

.....QUARTERBACK OUR POWER PLAY?

Old
05-04-2011, 03:44 PM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:
But could Ponder......

....wait for it......

*message is too short so here is some random text

Old
05-04-2011, 04:23 PM
nickschultzfan

As a Packers fan, let me say that all you Vikings fans are beating yourself up too much over Ponder.

He's just as likely to succeed in the NHL as the three quarterbacks drafted before him. The top-6 quarterbacks in this years draft all had major question marks. Nobody was the complete package.

Just be glad you aren't Carolina. Wasting the #1 overall pick on Newton is pretty bad.

Old
05-04-2011, 04:35 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
But could Ponder......

....wait for it......

Super Bowl Homeboy!

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 04:49 PM
saywut

Who would I take? Siemens, no doubt about it. But that's not the question. I voted for Beaulieu, simply because in the 2 years of Fletcher's era, we've drafted ONE defenseman. And he was a 1st round pick. And he's no longer with the team. That tells me Fletcher does not want to spend later round picks on d-men, and judging by his moves size/strength is not a big factor on the blue-line(Spurgeon, Genoway, Leddy, re-signing Zidlicky).

With Cuma's injury history, and Leddy(not saying he's good/bad, he was a #16 pick though) being traded for a bust in Barker, our future on the blue-line is not looking good. Yes Scandella has a ton of upside and Spurgeon was impressive for a 1st year pro, but we need more. We need talent. Drafting a d-man in the 1st round makes a ton of sense, and Bealieau's game suits what Fletcher is trying to build here.

Probably the worst situation possible among the top-9 though.

saywut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 05:09 PM
Surly Furious

vCash: 528
This is the first time in a long time I'd have no qualms with a d-man. Our wings are just so weak that I have a preference here, but as you've laid out, defense is pretty thin too.

Surly Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 05:32 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Quote:
Originally Posted by saywut View Post
Who would I take? Siemens, no doubt about it. But that's not the question. I voted for Beaulieu, simply because in the 2 years of Fletcher's era, we've drafted ONE defenseman. And he was a 1st round pick. And he's no longer with the team. That tells me Fletcher does not want to spend later round picks on d-men, and judging by his moves size/strength is not a big factor on the blue-line(Spurgeon, Genoway, Leddy, re-signing Zidlicky).
We need talent. Drafting a d-man in the 1st round makes a ton of sense, and Bealieau's game suits what Fletcher is trying to build here.

Probably the worst situation possible among the top-9 though.
Clarification? Aren't Siemans and Beaulieu roughly the same size? I chose NB because he's more polished (and thus more ready) to take the next steps. He sounds more like Burns than Siemans does to me and if we're dishing Burns, we're going to want that type of player coming back into the system sooner rather than later. I think NB is older, too, right?
But I didn't get the impression he was particularly small or weak.

Old
05-04-2011, 05:42 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Is Julio Jones still available? I'm not quite convinced that dude is even human...

I'm with saywut, this isn't the ideal draw for the Wild in the top 9. If this is the way things go, I'm all for going the defense route. As for who, I haven't seen enough of either to make a comment one way or another. But from what I've read, I'd be okay with Siemens or Beaulieu (for the life of me, I have no idea how to pronounce that...). If the Wild get shutout, so to speak, with the offensive prospects; picking some much needed talent on the back end would be a great boost. Maybe Fletcher can talk to Nashville's GM to see which defenseman he'd choose?

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
this providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 05:42 PM
nickschultzfan

I keep coming back to Armia because I'm going to kick myself if the Wild go safe-pick and Armia ends up being a 30-goal sniper. At 17, he's played in a tougher league than anybody else on the draft board (which he was tied for 12th in scoring) and he had a great WCJ U18 with little help from his team.

I just can't stand another 5 years of "we need a sniper" trade threads (25% of them started by me).

Old
05-04-2011, 06:24 PM
State of Hockey

Man, what a depressing list. There was no player that got me excited. I settled on Siemens.

State of Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 06:44 PM
saywut

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
Clarification? Aren't Siemans and Beaulieu roughly the same size? I chose NB because he's more polished (and thus more ready) to take the next steps. He sounds more like Burns than Siemans does to me and if we're dishing Burns, we're going to want that type of player coming back into the system sooner rather than later. I think NB is older, too, right?
But I didn't get the impression he was particularly small or weak.
Yeah I guess they're about the same size. Must be getting him confused with someone else, thought he was 6'. Still plays different. Would be closer to Burns yes, but to me it doesn't matter if we move Burns or not, a d-man should be considered. 9 months difference in age, Siemens is one of the youngest players in the draft.

saywut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 06:54 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Quote:
Originally Posted by saywut View Post
Yeah I guess they're about the same size. Must be getting him confused with someone else, thought he was 6'. Still plays different. Would be closer to Burns yes, but to me it doesn't matter if we move Burns or not, a d-man should be considered. 9 months difference in age, Siemens is one of the youngest players in the draft.
oh i agree about considering D. Actually i want them to take D. I could live with Seimans too--we could always use the beef and physicality on the back end--but falk could still develop a spine and turn into that guy. I just don't see Scandella in as favorable a light as everyone else so I see us as extremely short in offensive power from the back end. I mean, with how bad Noreau looked, too.

Old
05-04-2011, 09:22 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Beaulieu = Boh-leew