HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Pittsburgh-NY Islanders

Old
05-04-2011, 12:02 PM
The Bored Warrior
Ted Nolan Hates Me!!

vCash: 500
Pittsburgh-NY Islanders

To Pittsburgh:
RW Nino Niederreiter
2011 1st Round pick (5th overall)

To Islanders:
D Kris Letang
LW Chris Kunitz

Pittsburgh gets a speedy winger in Niderreiter to play with Crosby/Malkin. Also Pittsburgh gains a chance to add another winger with the 5th overall draft pick either Couturier,Huberdeau or Strome. Pittsburgh also gets cap space in the trade as well.

The Islanders get a young solid two way Defenseman in Letang who is signed through the 2014 season at 3.5 million a season. In Kunitz the Islanders gain a hard nosed solid leader who can play the penalty kill and power play. Kunitz also will fit well with Tavares or Bailey on one of the top two lines.

The Bored Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 12:07 PM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
I don't think the Islanders or the Penguins can afford to do this trade.

As good as the Penguins were this year it would be hard to imagine how good they would've been with Crosby and Malkin in the line-up.

Letang... I can't see him going anywhere... but I think this is a fair payment for him and Kuntiz... possibly an overpayment.

Islanders can't do it because they need Nino until the other prospects in their system have proven themselves.

Penguins can't do it because well... Letang is their best offensive weapon from the rear.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 12:08 PM
Pens1566

No way Pens do this.

Pens1566 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 12:11 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Not a bad proposal at all, but can't ever see it being a possibility. The value is pretty good though.

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 12:13 PM
2LeftSkates

Why would the Isles do this?
Maybe if it was their second round pick.

2LeftSkates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 12:14 PM
NYI94wasaFLUKE9

Value is good imo. depends on who is left at the draft maybe.

NYI94wasaFLUKE9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 12:21 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

The Pittsburgh players are of course fine players, particularly Letang, but the Islanders are in NO WAY in a trade-the-primary-futures for players who are established, but not putting them over the top now.

Niederreiter and whoever they take 5th this summer are automatically the two finest prospects in the Islanders' system. By the time those two hit their stride, the Isles should be in the thick of things in the Eastern Conference.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 12:25 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
The Pittsburgh players are of course fine players, particularly Letang, but the Islanders are in NO WAY in a trade-the-primary-futures for players who are established, but not putting them over the top now.

Niederreiter and whoever they take 5th this summer are automatically the two finest prospects in the Islanders' system. By the time those two hit their stride, the Isles should be in the thick of things in the Eastern Conference.
And Pittsburgh has their young talented core, Crosby, Malkin, Staal, Fleury, that Defense all tied up for several years to come and are in win now, and for the next half decade mode. How many times do you see the team that is one of the cup favorites trading the star player for prospects and picks to a team who is in the middle of a full rebuild? This proposal is the exact opposite of the usual. The timing sucks for both teams.

Jaded-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 12:29 PM
goldy2266

If I'm the Penguins and I have a 50+ point Defenceman who also is a capable two way player and I have to trade Kunitz as well than I would want/need someting back that can help me win now. Nino and the Pick are fair for the trade but this is not what the Pens want/need, this is a step backwards for them now, but helps them develop for two to threes from now.

If I'm the Islanders I like the deal. They would get a what they need now. A young puck moving D and a fiesty player up front.

Who really knows what Nino and the pick are going to be, but I do know what the pens have in Letang is and Knuitz and there not easily replaced through the UFA.

goldy2266 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 12:33 PM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
#21KO

vCash: 50
no for the isles.

i kind of want nino to be with tavares long term.

Kevin27nyi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 12:35 PM
DwightKSchrute

Never.

DwightKSchrute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 12:44 PM
spiny norman
Global Moderator
Dinsdale !!!

No from both teams.

Where the Islanders are right now, it makes the best sense to keep their young assets to continue the rebuild.

Where the Penguins are right now, it makes the best sense to keep their proven core asset (Letang) and their top winger (Kunitz).

spiny norman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 12:45 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
**** You, Duthie

I wonder at what point the OP figured Letang was even slightly expendable.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 12:47 PM
The Bored Warrior
Ted Nolan Hates Me!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldy2266 View Post
If I'm the Penguins and I have a 50+ point Defenceman who also is a capable two way player and I have to trade Kunitz as well than I would want/need someting back that can help me win now. Nino and the Pick are fair for the trade but this is not what the Pens want/need, this is a step backwards for them now, but helps them develop for two to threes from now.

If I'm the Islanders I like the deal. They would get a what they need now. A young puck moving D and a fiesty player up front.

Who really knows what Nino and the pick are going to be, but I do know what the pens have in Letang is and Knuitz and there not easily replaced through the UFA.
The Pens biggest offseason need is secondary scoring as you saw since Crosby and Malkin got hurt no one else was able to carry the scoring load gaining a young forward in Niederreiter who can play right away and if Couturier falls to 5th overall he is also NHL ready. Losing Letang would hurt Letang can be replaced though the system with Despres & Bortuzzo both have offensive upside. Kunitz is strictly a salary dump The Pens need to free up money to sign key UFAs.

The Bored Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 01:01 PM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by boarwarrior27 View Post
The Pens biggest offseason need is secondary scoring as you saw since Crosby and Malkin got hurt no one else was able to carry the scoring load gaining a young forward in Niederreiter who can play right away and if Couturier falls to 5th overall he is also NHL ready. Losing Letang would hurt Letang can be replaced though the system with Despres & Bortuzzo both have offensive upside. Kunitz is strictly a salary dump The Pens need to free up money to sign key UFAs.
Pens biggest off-season need is for Crosby and Malkin to stay healthy. Despres and Bortuzzo don't have anywhere near the offensive upside of Letang and neither are ready for top 4 minutes next season. Pens are competing now so trading their #1 dman and 2nd best winger for futures makes absolutely no sense at all. Kunitz is a salary dump? we don't have any real key UFAs to sign.

Niederreiter may be NHL ready but he's hardly a lock to score 20 goals next season and why would Pens draft Couturier? He's a centre.

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 01:04 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Officer Clutterbuck

We can't give up Nino.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 01:25 PM
OrangeZebra
Unregistered User

Nino is part of our future top line(s). no way we trade him

OrangeZebra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 01:27 PM
WangMustGo
NYI

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiny norman View Post
No from both teams.

Where the Islanders are right now, it makes the best sense to keep their young assets to continue the rebuild.

Where the Penguins are right now, it makes the best sense to keep their proven core asset (Letang) and their top winger (Kunitz).
This. Penguins need proven wingers, Isles need to keep their youngsters. Nino and the #5 pick could both turn out to be very good players.

Isles drafted Nino to play with Tavares for years to come, really think this kid could be a special talent if they develop him properly.

WangMustGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 01:31 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Beastmode Penguins

vCash: 80
The OP is kind of the opposite of what both franchise, at this point in time, would even contemplate doing.

Typically, when a team trades current established NHLers for prospects/draft picks, they're in rebuild mode. Conversely, when a team trades prospects/draft picks for established NHLers, they're in contendership mode. The OP seems to think the Isles and Pens have swapped modes, based on the proposal.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 03:00 PM
M Moulson Ale
Brockoli

this wont work for the isles for three reasons
1. As mentioned before, Nino is part of the future
2. If Nino and the 5th overall pick (Huberdeau, Larsson, etc.) become stars, it would be a massive overpayment and another "Yashin-type" deal for the isles
3. I dont think Letang and kunitz, let alone the rest of the Penguins' players, want to play for the isles in a newly heated up rivalry

M Moulson Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 03:10 PM
Kaen

The value isn't bad, but it is the complete opposite of what each team is trying to do right now.

Kaen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 03:28 PM
UnderratedBrooks44

Good lord. Even though I'm not as high on Letang as some people this is......yikes. Give us Okposo for something.

UnderratedBrooks44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 03:31 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderratedBrooks44 View Post
Good lord. Even though I'm not as high on Letang as some people this is......yikes. Give us Okposo for something.
huh? Nino's a future 1st liner and the 5th overall. That's a pretty even deal, it just doesn't fill holes for either team, but rather creates them.

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 04:01 PM
Isles_Guy*

Send a message via Yahoo to Isles_Guy*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckface NYR View Post
huh? Nino's a future 1st liner and the 5th overall. That's a pretty even deal, it just doesn't fill holes for either team, but rather creates them.
youre crazy would you give up Stepan, McDonagh and your 1st for Letang and Kunitz ? Doubtful at best

Isles_Guy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 04:04 PM
Human
cynic

Penguins aren't in rebuilding mode. they want to win now.

Human is offline   Reply With Quote