HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Pittsburgh-NY Islanders

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-04-2011, 04:36 PM
  #26
Dr Danglefest
Vindication
 
Dr Danglefest's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Beantown
Country: United States
Posts: 2,375
vCash: 500
nino is gonna be a beast, number 5 pick will prob be one of Landeskog, Courtier, huberdeau, hamilton so i cant see the isles doing it.

letang is an allstar and kunitz is very serviceable but not enough upside

Dr Danglefest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 04:48 PM
  #27
Isles_Guy*
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: long Island
Posts: 6,237
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Isles_Guy*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Danglefest View Post
nino is gonna be a beast, number 5 pick will prob be one of Landeskog, Courtier, huberdeau, hamilton so i cant see the isles doing it.

letang is an allstar and kunitz is very serviceable but not enough upside
This^^^^

It goes contrary to both teams current goals as Well

Penguins are in win now mode and the Isles are in growth mode

Isles_Guy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 04:59 PM
  #28
Common Sense
Registered User
 
Common Sense's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 3,234
vCash: 500
Doesn't make any sense for the Isles. They're a rebuilding team and Kunitz will probably run out of there after his contract is up next season.

From a Pens viewpoint, I don't see them giving up their all-star D-man, and I don't see any reason they would have interest in the 5th overall pick since they want help right now. I'd rather go after Okposo or Comeau than a prospect winger or pick.

Common Sense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 05:06 PM
  #29
BennyBST
Registered User
 
BennyBST's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Fairfield CT
Country: United States
Posts: 1,990
vCash: 500
Milbury would do this in a heartbeat

BennyBST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 05:20 PM
  #30
Joey Moss
Registered User
 
Joey Moss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 23,824
vCash: 815
Why would the Islanders do this?

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 05:20 PM
  #31
UnderratedBrooks44
Registered User
 
UnderratedBrooks44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Miranda's house
Posts: 13,208
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckface NYR View Post
huh? Nino's a future 1st liner and the 5th overall. That's a pretty even deal, it just doesn't fill holes for either team, but rather creates them.
Nino isn't anything yet and neither is the 5th overall. The Penguins are trying to win the Cup for one thing, and for another Letang is their only semblance of consistent offense from the back end now that Goligoski's gone. I understand your logic and the value could very well be a win for the Pens long term but we're in win now mode and the Isles aren't. I think both teams are better off not doing anything here.


Last edited by UnderratedBrooks44: 05-04-2011 at 05:28 PM.
UnderratedBrooks44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 05:25 PM
  #32
HyeDray
HFB Partner
 
HyeDray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: New Hyde Park, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,899
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by boarwarrior27 View Post
To Pittsburgh:
RW Nino Niederreiter
2011 1st Round pick (5th overall)

To Islanders:
D Kris Letang
LW Chris Kunitz

Pittsburgh gets a speedy winger in Niderreiter to play with Crosby/Malkin. Also Pittsburgh gains a chance to add another winger with the 5th overall draft pick either Couturier,Huberdeau or Strome. Pittsburgh also gets cap space in the trade as well.

The Islanders get a young solid two way Defenseman in Letang who is signed through the 2014 season at 3.5 million a season. In Kunitz the Islanders gain a hard nosed solid leader who can play the penalty kill and power play. Kunitz also will fit well with Tavares or Bailey on one of the top two lines.
islanders get ***** on this proposal.

No way do i make this deal....

HyeDray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 05:48 PM
  #33
JTG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: Sierra Leone
Posts: 39,303
vCash: 500
What are the Isles adding?

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 05:56 PM
  #34
wej20
Registered User
 
wej20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Swansea,UK
Country: Wales
Posts: 22,755
vCash: 500
People are overrating picks and prospects. Letang has shown he's capable of a being a #1 dman, has a good contract is only 24. Nino might end up being a 25-25 player which is similar production to Kunitz. Not saying Isles should do this but neither Nino or their pick are home runs.

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 06:06 PM
  #35
HyeDray
HFB Partner
 
HyeDray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: New Hyde Park, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,899
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
People are overrating picks and prospects. Letang has shown he's capable of a being a #1 dman, has a good contract is only 24. Nino might end up being a 25-25 player which is similar production to Kunitz. Not saying Isles should do this but neither Nino or their pick are home runs.
Fair enough, but if you consider that Letang could bolt the Isles in 2 years as a UFA where as Nino still has an entire career ahead of him in Isles blue and orange.

Letang may have 1st pair capabilities, and you are right there is no guarantee on Nino or the pick but I think for the Isles, there best course of action is to keep the home drafted players where possible, and after the year Nino had, it is a pretty big risk to trade him.

Despite this I dont see two #5 overall picks being equal value for Letang and Kunitz...

There are better opportunities for the Isles via trade should they go that route.

HyeDray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 06:09 PM
  #36
Chraa
Registered User
 
Chraa's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Stockholm
Country: Sweden
Posts: 1,576
vCash: 500
They way people overvalue prospects and picks on this board is hilarious.

Chraa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 06:21 PM
  #37
GermanTitov
Registered User
 
GermanTitov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 468
vCash: 500
with the departure of Goligoski this season theres no way the pens could afford to lose another offensive Dman.

GermanTitov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 09:46 PM
  #38
Dylonus
Registered User
 
Dylonus's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 10,643
vCash: 500
I understand prospects are VALUED high... but really?

Pittsburgh doesn't even consider this. Not even for just Letang.

Dylonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 06:27 AM
  #39
wej20
Registered User
 
wej20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Swansea,UK
Country: Wales
Posts: 22,755
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyeDray View Post
Fair enough, but if you consider that Letang could bolt the Isles in 2 years as a UFA where as Nino still has an entire career ahead of him in Isles blue and orange.

Letang may have 1st pair capabilities, and you are right there is no guarantee on Nino or the pick but I think for the Isles, there best course of action is to keep the home drafted players where possible, and after the year Nino had, it is a pretty big risk to trade him.

Despite this I dont see two #5 overall picks being equal value for Letang and Kunitz...

There are better opportunities for the Isles via trade should they go that route.
Letang has 3 more years on his deal and by the time his deal is up the Islanders should be much further along in the rebuild.

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 07:28 AM
  #40
PensBeerGeek
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Washington, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 923
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to PensBeerGeek Send a message via Yahoo to PensBeerGeek
Even if this were a sensible trade, I doubt that Ray Shero and Garth Snow have much of a professional relationship at the moment...

PensBeerGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 08:46 AM
  #41
UnderratedBrooks44
Registered User
 
UnderratedBrooks44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Miranda's house
Posts: 13,208
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PensBeerGeek View Post
Even if this were a sensible trade, I doubt that Ray Shero and Garth Snow have much of a professional relationship at the moment...
Because of one regular season game? No.

UnderratedBrooks44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 08:54 AM
  #42
PensBeerGeek
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Washington, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 923
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to PensBeerGeek Send a message via Yahoo to PensBeerGeek
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderratedBrooks44 View Post
Because of one regular season game? No.
What about all the media bickering afterwards?

PensBeerGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 07:01 PM
  #43
CREW99AW
Registered User
 
CREW99AW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 29,893
vCash: 1118
Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
People are overrating picks and prospects. Letang has shown he's capable of a being a #1 dman, has a good contract is only 24. Nino might end up being a 25-25 player which is similar production to Kunitz. Not saying Isles should do this but neither Nino or their pick are home runs.
No Nino and the 5th overall aren't homeruns.It's kind of tough to be a homerun, when 1 player has played all of 9 nhl games and the 2nd player hasn't even been drafted yet.

Snow would be concerned about trading for players who could bolt as ufas in 1-3 yrs.
His core is 20-24,most of them 4-6 yrs from unrestricted free agency.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 09:26 PM
  #44
Isles_Guy*
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: long Island
Posts: 6,237
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Isles_Guy*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylonus View Post
I understand prospects are VALUED high... but really?

Pittsburgh doesn't even consider this. Not even for just Letang.
I understand Letang is VALUED HIGH but nobody in their right mind would give Shero TWO top 5 picks for him, nobody not even Milbury, youre totally ridiculous

Isles_Guy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 09:28 PM
  #45
UnderratedBrooks44
Registered User
 
UnderratedBrooks44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Miranda's house
Posts: 13,208
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PensBeerGeek View Post
What about all the media bickering afterwards?
So you're saying they're giving each other the silent treatment like a couple of teenagers? I find it hard to believe they'd pass up any possible deals because they were "mad" at each other.

UnderratedBrooks44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 03:01 PM
  #46
ZMan17
U of A!!!
 
ZMan17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Tucson, AZ & LI
Country: United States
Posts: 862
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ZMan17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylonus View Post
I understand prospects are VALUED high... but really?

Pittsburgh doesn't even consider this. Not even for just Letang.
You seem to be overvaluing Letang a little bit haha. Not even Mad Mike himself would be crazy enough to trade Nino and the 5th overall for just Letang...

ZMan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 06:54 PM
  #47
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Iron Proficient
 
Rowdy Roddy Peeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 46,092
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMan17 View Post
You seem to be overvaluing Letang a little bit haha. Not even Mad Mike himself would be crazy enough to trade Nino and the 5th overall for just Letang...
Letang is a top 10 scorer among defensemen and hovers just outside the top 20 in hits at 24 years of age.

The only players comparable to Letang in that regard are Seabrook and Weber, both of whom are two years older and considerably more expensive moving forward.

I'd say that has a ton of value. So much value to a contender, in fact, that prospects wouldn't entice Pittsburgh regardless of what the Isles would or wouldn't do.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 06:55 PM
  #48
Oroku Saki*
Pete Hearts Volch
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Rocky Point
Country: United States
Posts: 24,130
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LeftSkates View Post
Why would the Isles do this?
Maybe if it was their second round pick.


That can't be a serious comment.

Oroku Saki* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 08:13 PM
  #49
CREW99AW
Registered User
 
CREW99AW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 29,893
vCash: 1118
Quote:
Letang is a top 10 scorer among defensemen and hovers just outside the top 20 in hits at 24 years of age.

The only players comparable to Letang in that regard are Seabrook and Weber, both of whom are two years older and considerably more expensive moving forward.

I'd say that has a ton of value. So much value to a contender, in fact, that prospects wouldn't entice Pittsburgh regardless of what the Isles would or wouldn't do.

Isles have two pmd in Streit and MacDonald.Their two most promising blueline prospects are De Haan and Donovan,two pmd, who are expected to spend their 1st seasons at Bridgeport in 2011-2012.

Ken Morrow made the recent comment,that they think Donovan will be pushing for an nhl job before next season ends.

I'm not dismissing LeTang's value.The isles are not a contender,they are still putting their core players in place.The isles simply can not afford to trade what will be their top two prospects for Letang when they have Streit/Macdonald in the nhl and De Haan/Donovan close to being nhl ready..

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 08:19 PM
  #50
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Iron Proficient
 
Rowdy Roddy Peeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 46,092
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
Isles have two pmd in Streit and MacDonald.Their two most promising blueline prospects are De Haan and Donovan,two pmd, who are expected to spend their 1st seasons at Bridgeport in 2011-2012.

Ken Morrow made the recent comment,that they think Donovan will be pushing for an nhl job before next season ends.

I'm not dismissing LeTang's value.The isles are not a contender,they are still putting their core players in place.The isles simply can not afford to trade what will be their top two prospects for Letang when they have Streit/Macdonald in the nhl and De Haan/Donovan close to being nhl ready..
You need to re-read the last line of my post.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:42 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.