HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Did it ever happen a team had to pay 5 1rst rounder to another team?

Closed Thread

Old
07-14-2004, 12:39 AM
ifesfor*

vCash: 500
Did it ever happen a team had to pay 5 1rst rounder to another team?

Did it already happen?That a gm made an offer to a RFA and paid him big time with picks etc?Who was it if it happen already?Im curious to know if something bad like that happen.

Old
07-14-2004, 12:51 AM
DirtyJeeves

Send a message via AIM to DirtyJeeves
When the Blues signed Scott Stevens back in 1990. I don't know of any other instances.

Old
07-14-2004, 12:57 AM
Habs

I believe Hartford had to give up 5 first rounders to Boston for the Glen Wesley deal..

Old
07-14-2004, 01:40 AM
ifesfor*

wow ok after searching here are the 5 picks the blues decide to sacrifice to get Scott Stevens

91-TRevor Halverson
92-Sergei Gonchar( rofl )
93-Brendan Witt
94-Nolan Baumgartner
95-Mikka Elomo

woaaaa all that for stevens? imo Gonchar=Stevens

Baaad move by the blues here.

Now goign to post later the Glen Wesley 5 players to compare!

Old
07-14-2004, 01:48 AM
ifesfor*

Ok as for the4 Wesley deal, i fouund out it was only 3 1rst rounder that was given.And those player turn out to be

95-KYle McLAren
96-Jonathan Aitken
97-Sergei Samsonov

Ok ill consider that deal...even?

ok comon tis funny, anyone else know otehr player that were trade for lots of pick? I like to check that

Old
07-14-2004, 02:41 AM
Flozell

[QUOTE=ifesfor]wow ok after searching here are the 5 picks the blues decide to sacrifice to get Scott Stevens

91-TRevor Halverson
93-Brendan Witt
94-Nolan Baumgartner
95-Mikka Elomo

If you break this deal down, I dont think St.Louis gave up that much at all. Three of those five first rounders flopped. As for Witt and Gonchar, they both have things to like about them but Scott Stevens in his prime brought more to the table than those two combined. Now ofcourse Stevens' didn't stay in St.Louis for to long, he was parlayed into Brendan Shanahan I believe. A couple years later he turned into Pronger.....

Old
07-14-2004, 03:21 AM
rocketlives

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifesfor
wow ok after searching here are the 5 picks the blues decide to sacrifice to get Scott Stevens

91-TRevor Halverson
93-Brendan Witt
94-Nolan Baumgartner
95-Mikka Elomo

Baaad move by the blues here.

Now goign to post later the Glen Wesley 5 players to compare!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
The Blues may have lost a lot more. The five players you name were the ones the Caps picked with Saint Louis' first choices but better players were available at the time those picks were made:

1991: The Blues could have picked Zigmund Palffy.

1992: Sergei Gonchar was the best player available.

1993: Adam Deadmarsh, Jason Allison and Saku Koivu were also available.

1994: The Blues could have picked Jeff Friesen, Jose Theodore or Ethan Moreau .

1995: Alexi Morozov and Yan Hlavac were available when the Caps used the Blues' 1st pick.

However the Blues traded Stevens after one year for Brendan Shanahan who scored 33,51,52 and 20 (strike shortened season) goals for them from 1992 to 1995.

Last edited by rocketlives: 07-14-2004 at 03:36 AM.
Old
07-14-2004, 03:36 AM
Flozell

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketlives
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
The Blues may have lost a lot more. The five players you name were the ones the Caps picked with Saint Louis' first choices but better players were available at the time those picks were made:

1991: The Blues could have picked Zigmund Palffy.

1992: Sergei Gonchar was the best player available.

1993: Adam Deadmarsh, Jason Allison and Saku Koivu were also available.

1994: The Blues could have picked Jeff Friesen, Jose Theodore or Ethan Moreau .

1995: Alexi Morozov and Yan Hlavac were available when the Caps used the Blues' 1st pick.

Ok...while better players were picked after the elomos and halversons of the world, I doubt any team has selected 5 decent nhlers, in 5 consecutive draft years. In fact I challenge anyone to look this up and prove me wrong. Perhaps the Quebec Nordiques with all their first overalls in the early 90s and the Sens in the mid to late 90s but i wouldnt even take that to the bank.

Old
07-14-2004, 03:44 AM
ifesfor*

Still its a high risk, but as someone said in another post. I would trade 5 first rounder for iginla

Old
07-14-2004, 10:13 AM
GHG

Send a message via MSN to GHG
The Stevens trade was pretty dumb, but in my opinion this is the most ridiculous trade ever:

Philadelphia trades:
- Peter Forsberg
- Ron Hextall
- Steve Duchesne
- Kerry Huffman
- Mike Ricci
- Chris Simon
- 1st round pick 1993 (Jocelyn Thibault)
- 1st round pick 1994 (traded to Washington, ended up being Nolan Baumgartner)
- $15M cash

Quebec Trades:
- Eric Lindros

LOL! I can't believe Bob (don't call me Bobby) Clarke still has the GM job in Philadelphia after that deal.

What's even more ridiculous was the trade that never happened, on the same day in 1992:

NY Rangers trade:
- Mike Richter
- Tony Amonte
- Alexei Kovalev
- James Patrick
- $20M cash

Quebec trades:
- Eric Lindros

Quite simply, if the Rangers had won this trade during the controversy that ensued, they would not have won the cup in 1994.

Old
07-14-2004, 10:28 AM
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHG
The Stevens trade was pretty dumb, but in my opinion this is the most ridiculous trade ever:
Philadelphia trades:
- Peter Forsberg
- Ron Hextall
- Steve Duchesne
- Kerry Huffman
- Mike Ricci
- Chris Simon
- $15M cash

Quebec Trades:
- Eric Lindros
Honestly, if Lindros had never run into all his injury and then concussion problems, then this deal wouldn't even look slightly suspicious to me. Lindros would have been right behind Gretzky, Lemieux, Howe, Orr and that bunch as one of the most absolutely thoroughly dominant and impactful players of all time. In his pre-injury prime, he was better than even Forsberg. And that says a lot. Forsberg is a great player, but Dale Hawerchuk, Peter Stastny, Joe Sakic, a bunch of guys like that were great players. Lindros would have been something truly special. A step above.

Old
07-14-2004, 10:31 AM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via MSN to Dan K
For those that didn't know about the Stevens/Shanahan thing, the year after signing Stevens as an RFA, St Louis signed Shanny as an RFA as well. Since their next 4 first rounders were already gone, they tried to give a group of players and some 2nd rounders to New Jersey (who had Shanny before), but New Jersey asked for Stevens and it went to arbitration, with the ruling ending up going in New Jersey's favor.

Also, a couple of years ago, Carolina tried to sign Sergei Fedorov as an RFA, but Detroit matched the high offer to retain him.

Old
07-14-2004, 10:39 AM
GHG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo_T
Ok...while better players were picked after the elomos and halversons of the world, I doubt any team has selected 5 decent nhlers, in 5 consecutive draft years. In fact I challenge anyone to look this up and prove me wrong. Perhaps the Quebec Nordiques with all their first overalls in the early 90s and the Sens in the mid to late 90s but i wouldnt even take that to the bank.
I think the Sens have had the longest run of first round picks that ended up becoming regulars in the NHL:

1992 - Alexei Yashin
1993 - Alexandre Daigle
1994 - Radek Bonk
1995 - Bryan Berard
1996 - Chris Phillips
1997 - Marian Hossa
1998 - Mathieu Chouinard*
1999 - Martin Havlat
2000 - Anton Volchenkov
2001 - Jason Spezza

*Chouinard was re-drafted by Ottawa in 2000 but has only played 1 NHL game.

The amazing thing is that there were other players that they snatched up during those years which every other team passed on:

1993 - Pavol Demitra: 227th overall
1994 - Daniel Alfredsson: 133rd overall
1996 - Andreas Dackell: 136 overall, Sami Salo: 239th overall
1997 - Jani Hurme: 58th overall, Josh Langfeld: 66th overall, Magnus Arvedson: 119th overall, Karel Rachunek: 229th overall
1998 - Mike Fisher: 44th overall, Petr Schastlivy: 101st overall, Chris Neil: 161st overall
1999 - Martin Prusek: 164th overall
2000 - Antoine Vermette: 55th overall
2001 - Ray Emery: 99th overall

Old
07-14-2004, 10:47 AM
EquabaleAce

Send a message via MSN to EquabaleAce
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo_T

If you break this deal down, I dont think St.Louis gave up that much at all. Three of those five first rounders flopped. As for Witt and Gonchar, they both have things to like about them but Scott Stevens in his prime brought more to the table than those two combined. Now ofcourse Stevens' didn't stay in St.Louis for to long, he was parlayed into Brendan Shanahan I believe. A couple years later he turned into Pronger.....
Actually, Stevens went to NJ as compensation for St. Louis signing Brendan Shannahan while he was a RFA. St. Louis had no 1st rounders for the next 4 years to give to NJ as compensation because they were all given to Washington. NJ wanted to select Stevens and the league ruled in their favor so they took him, and subsequently he led them to 3 cups.

St Louis also tried to negotiate with Stevens a few years back while he was under contract with the devils and I believe up until last year NJ was recieving compensation picks from the Blues for that

Old
07-14-2004, 10:47 AM
GHG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien
Honestly, if Lindros had never run into all his injury and then concussion problems, then this deal wouldn't even look slightly suspicious to me. Lindros would have been right behind Gretzky, Lemieux, Howe, Orr and that bunch as one of the most absolutely thoroughly dominant and impactful players of all time. In his pre-injury prime, he was better than even Forsberg. And that says a lot. Forsberg is a great player, but Dale Hawerchuk, Peter Stastny, Joe Sakic, a bunch of guys like that were great players. Lindros would have been something truly special. A step above.
I don't know about that.. I mean, Lindros was a truly incredible player but let's not forget that the year he won the Hart trophy, the Avalanche won their first Cup. The Nordiques/Avalanche become instant contenders while the Flyers took them a few years to build the team around Lindros. Even then, it just didn't work out.

Maybe if he had learned to skate with his head up things would have been different, but who knows.

As for Lindros being better than Forsberg? No way... Forsberg has proven to be a clutch performer at every level of hockey. When the Flyers made it to the final against Detroit, Lindros was invisible.

Statistically speaking, Lindros and Forsberg are basically equal, but Forsberg's accomplishments put him above Lindros.

Old
07-14-2004, 10:49 AM
EquabaleAce

Send a message via MSN to EquabaleAce
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakuuuuu
For those that didn't know about the Stevens/Shanahan thing, the year after signing Stevens as an RFA, St Louis signed Shanny as an RFA as well. Since their next 4 first rounders were already gone, they tried to give a group of players and some 2nd rounders to New Jersey (who had Shanny before), but New Jersey asked for Stevens and it went to arbitration, with the ruling ending up going in New Jersey's favor.

Also, a couple of years ago, Carolina tried to sign Sergei Fedorov as an RFA, but Detroit matched the high offer to retain him.

You already clairified that for everybody, i should have kept on reading before i posted

Old
07-14-2004, 10:51 AM
Go Habs Go

Stevens signing was ridiculous but Gonchar does not equal Stevens, not even close. I'd rather have one Stevens over two Gonchars (Stevens then, not now).

Old
07-14-2004, 10:58 AM
Russian Fan

Send a message via ICQ to Russian Fan
It's far too easy to say that the Stevens for 5 (1st rounders) was a bad deal because they picked up Gonchar or because of who was available at this spot because :

A) No one can say that your scouting staff will pick the ''good'' player

B) No one can say that Gonchar would have been the ''guy'' pick in that year draft.

If you got a chance to get a franchise player like Iginla in his prime from 28 years old to 33 years old. You take it because you don't know how your projects will turn out to be & you already know what a player like Iginla will bring to the table.

BUT AGAIN this is HF (Hockey's future), no one should really surprise that we should keep 5 - 18 years old , 1st round pick for any superstar even at 26-28 years old.

Old
07-14-2004, 11:17 AM
CH Wizard

Send a message via MSN to CH Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHG

Philadelphia trades:
- Peter Forsberg
- Ron Hextall
- Steve Duchesne
- Kerry Huffman
- Mike Ricci
- Chris Simon
- $15M cash

Quebec Trades:
- Eric Lindros

LOL! I can't believe Bob (don't call me Bobby) Clarke still has the GM job in Philadelphia after that deal.

What's even more ridiculous was the trade that never happened, on the same day in 1992:

NY Rangers trade:
- Mike Richter
- Tony Amonte
- Alexei Kovalev
- James Patrick
- $20M cash

Quebec trades:
- Eric Lindros

Quite simply, if the Rangers had won this trade during the controversy that ensued, they would not have won the cup in 1994.

I have jost two words to say the Lindros trade was the WORST EVER !!!! poor philly

Old
07-14-2004, 11:23 AM
Russian Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreatone
I have jost two words to say the Lindros trade was the WORST EVER !!!! poor philly
Again too easy to say after all these year.

Peter Forsberg could have been a regular 50-60 pts players & if the 2 first round pick would have someone else who bust big time, the Lindros deal would have been a great DEAL for Philly.

Like it's easy to say ''HOW COULD MARCEL AUBUT took the Flyers trade over the Rangers one, think about it RICHTER one of the most underrated goalie of all-time , Amonte , Kovalev , 20,000,000$

those deals are make or break for 1 team, no one really know what the future hold ahead of any prospects or any draft pick.

It's like saying in 10 years if Schremp pan out as a superstar, HOW COULD WE PASS on Schremp in 2004 !!!!

Even Pat O'Sullivan is mentioned as the steal of the century because he's been picked 56th & that 30 teams pass him once & some TWICE !!!!

That said, he does not have 1 SINGLE NHL GAME yet.

Perception when you hold us

Old
07-14-2004, 11:49 AM
CH Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russian Fan

Peter Forsberg could have been a regular 50-60 pts players & if the 2 first round pick would have someone else who bust big time, the Lindros deal would have been a great DEAL for Philly.

Like it's easy to say ''HOW COULD MARCEL AUBUT took the Flyers trade over the Rangers one, think about it RICHTER one of the most underrated goalie of all-time , Amonte , Kovalev , 20,000,000$

those deals are make or break for 1 team, no one really know what the future hold ahead of any prospects or any draft pick.

It's like saying in 10 years if Schremp pan out as a superstar, HOW COULD WE PASS on Schremp in 2004 !!!!

Even Pat O'Sullivan is mentioned as the steal of the century because he's been picked 56th & that 30 teams pass him once & some TWICE !!!!

Yeah you're right I know what's your point because now we can say easily that it was the worst trade ever but before nobody knew that forsberg gonna be one of the best player in the world and we both know that it was a HUGE HUGE !! mistake but I understand why phylli do this trade bcause Lindros was considered a power forward who can score 50 goals in a season and you're right on shremp maybe he was a steal because he can easily be a 30 or 40 goals scorer in the NHl and now again the fans will blame the scouting staff to picking another guy from the WHL and maybe Chip will be a third line center who can score 10-15 goals and maybe Shremp will be one of the top goals scorers on the league but we don't know it's like making a trade like that.

to Montreal:
Ilya Kovalchuk

to Atlanta:
Andrei Kostitsyn
Alexander Perehogin
Mike Komisarek
Richard Zednik
a 1st round in 2005 and 2006

And it's can be the worst trade ever because we don't know what's gonna happen Komo can be one of the best D in the NHL and Kost can be a 40 or 50 goals scorer and the league like Ilya,in like 10 years we'll see who make a mistake.

Old
07-14-2004, 11:54 AM
Russian Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreatone
to Montreal:
Ilya Kovalchuk

to Atlanta:
Andrei Kostitsyn
Alexander Perehogin
Mike Komisarek
Richard Zednik
a 1st round in 2005 and 2006

And it's can be the worst trade ever because we don't know what's gonna happen Komo can be one of the best D in the NHL and Kost can be a 40 or 50 goals scorer and the league like Ilya,in like 10 years we'll see who make a mistake.
As much as I love Kostitsyn & Komisarek, I would do THAT TRADE in a SECOND !!!!

& I'm sure Don Waddell would take a look & decline it.

Kovalchuk is a ''special'' player & even in a DEFENSIVE era he could be the best GOAL SCORER of all-time (maybe the 2nd because 892 goals is a tough one).

Old
07-14-2004, 12:03 PM
CH Wizard

Quote:
As much as I love Kostitsyn & Komisarek, I would do THAT TRADE in a SECOND !!!!

& I'm sure Don Waddell would take a look & decline it.

Kovalchuk is a ''special'' player & even in a DEFENSIVE era he could be the best GOAL SCORER of all-time (maybe the 2nd because 892 goals is a tough one).
I understand you I will do that trade it was an exemple I can easily add more player to make this trade but me too I will do this trade in a second the Ilya Kovalchuk value is the same now of what Lindros was when he was in the trade of phylli this peter forsberg on this trade can be easily Andrei Kost , Kost can be a 40 or 50 goals scorers ,Kovalchuk is a 50 goals scorers too and can one of the best goalscorer of all time we don't know how Kost,Perez,Komo will perform Kost can be one of the top goalscorer of the league just behind Kovalchuk and Perez can be a great 30 goals scorer and be a 70 points producer , Komo can be one of the most dominant D of the game and be the next Pronger we can easily be the loser of this trade and don't forget the we have to give our first round of 2005 and 2006 we don't know what gonna happen next year maybe we'll the worst team in the league and have the first overall and pick Sidney Crosby so IMO we'll be the loser on this trade.

Old
07-14-2004, 12:12 PM
ComrieFanatic

Quote:

at the time of this potential deal, both amonte and kovalev werent playing very well, and amonte was eventually traded to the hawks. kovalev struggled the whole time with the rangers, and only really started to play well 3 years ago with the Pens

Old
07-14-2004, 12:15 PM
Go Habs Go

Kordic for Courtnall was a much better trade, for the Habs that is. Worst trade ever for the Leafs.

Closed Thread