HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

St. Louis almost a Ranger?!

Old
05-04-2011, 12:27 PM
gotmonte

vCash: 500
St. Louis almost a Ranger?!

Ok this was about LAST YEAR I will admit before you read too much and than the hate me.

Today while reading my morning newspaper on WWW.NEWSDAY.COM, there was an article about Brad Richards being in New York and such. The author stated that St. Louis and Richards are great friends and they LOVE coach Tort's and how they speak to each other (richards/St. Louis) about each others free-agency. St. Louis would have been a free agent last year.

St. Louis (allegedly by this author of the newspaper) was close to going to New York Rangers. Martin wanted to play for coach Tort's but the Lightning got a new owner/GM and they locked him up before he reached free agency.

Now, I KNOW this is not a rumor, hence me stating "OTHER" but it got me thinking. Imagine we had Gaborik (mr 42 goals last year) and St. Louis (OMG!) on the Rangers last year. Imagine the type of season we WOULD HAVE HAD.

Now, I know day dreaming will lead to brain cancer and it never does anyone good, but I couldnt help but share this almost Ground Breaking Ranger Signing with my fellow HFBoard members.

gotmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 12:30 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 12:35 PM
Bish please
...You're hateful.

vCash: 169
Send a message via MSN to Bish please
When Lawton and Tocchet were fired St.Louis thought about asking for a trade because he didn't want to go through another rebuild. The day Yzerman was hired he attended the press conference and said the Lightning are the only team he will play for and signed a 4 year contract contract on July 1st, the first day he was allowed to re-sign.

To say he was "almost" a Ranger is a HUGE stretch.

Bish please is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 10:34 PM
gotmonte

You are right. I was only going by the Article.

St. Louis saying he wanted to play for Tort's and the Rangers is kinda a bold statement though. If Lightning did not square away their Ownership/GM position.... St. Louis could VERY WELL been a Ranger with the statement he made (allegedly).

Again. I am not arguing the validity of the statement or the article. I figured it was interesting to read where I never knew Martin was even CONSIDERING the rangers.

(dont shoot the messenger lol)

Old
05-04-2011, 10:59 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Sorry guys, not all Rangers fans are like this.

Do you remember how Stamkos was also almost a Ranger when Sather had a handshake agreement with the TB owner!

05-04-2011, 11:00 PM
BrianBoyle
Nash goes HAM

vCash: 300
Nearly 99% sure that the Stamkos thing was a Larry brooks April Fools Joke.

Neutral Milk Hotel are literally GOAT
Amy Poehler <3

Credit to Ail for the sig.
BrianBoyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 11:11 PM
gotmonte

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Love Rebecca Black View Post
Sorry guys, not all Rangers fans are like this.

Do you remember how Stamkos was also almost a Ranger when Sather had a handshake agreement with the TB owner!
I quoted a newspaper. HOW does that make me a bad rangers fan, you blowhard

Old
05-04-2011, 11:50 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Mastrosimone View Post
Nearly 99% sure that the Stamkos thing was a Larry brooks April Fools Joke.
It was.

Old
05-04-2011, 11:57 PM
gotmonte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckface NYR View Post
It was.
Unfortunately, you are correct sir.

It would be TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE if the Rangers had Stamkos on their team.

I dont think the Rangers will EVER have a KID that has so much potential/ability to score. The Rangers refuse to mail it in on a season when a potential future franchise player is first overall just waiting for them to pluck in the draft.

For some reason, Dolan AND Sather think the Rangers fans wouldnt endure a brutal losing season to get a Stamkos/Crosby/Ovechkin. BUT they DO believe we will stand to miss the playoffs for gobs of years and be happy with First round exits year after year.

lol

So Sad. I bleed rangers blue, but this management HAS TO GO. I wish Dolan would just ****ing get arrested for something that will put him away for a LOOOONG TIME and the Rangers get SOLD TO A TRUE FAN OF THE SPORT

Wishful thinking NEVER GOT ME ANYTHING When it came to the Rangers though. So why would it start NOW?

Old
05-04-2011, 11:59 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotmonte View Post
Unfortunately, you are correct sir.

It would be TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE if the Rangers had Stamkos on their team.

I dont think the Rangers will EVER have a KID that has so much potential/ability to score. The Rangers refuse to mail it in on a season when a potential future franchise player is first overall just waiting for them to pluck in the draft.

For some reason, Dolan AND Sather think the Rangers fans wouldnt endure a brutal losing season to get a Stamkos/Crosby/Ovechkin. BUT they DO believe we will stand to miss the playoffs for gobs of years and be happy with First round exits year after year.

lol

So Sad. I bleed rangers blue, but this management HAS TO GO. I wish Dolan would just ****ing get arrested for something that will put him away for a LOOOONG TIME and the Rangers get SOLD TO A TRUE FAN OF THE SPORT

Wishful thinking NEVER GOT ME ANYTHING When it came to the Rangers though. So why would it start NOW?
That is one of the few things i actually respect their management for. Every year, they do ATTEMPT to field the best team possible.

Old
05-05-2011, 12:09 AM
gotmonte

No No. Not the BEST TEAM. The biggest name in FREE AGENCY.

And unfortunately, if a player hits FREE AGENCY, he is old and will cost A LOT.

With the new CBA (now OLD cba) players hit free agency at a YOUNGER AGE but the rangers have gone after THE WRONG PLAYERS.

Drury. Redden. Gomez. Boogard. Fleury. Kamensky. Lindros. ect ect.

All big name players. All WAAAY past their prime unfortunately. So I disagree. The Rangers fail all the time at making the team BETTER. They shell OUT MONEY and draft like crap ( they are getting better but still not great.. Tarasenko?)

The rangers havent gone out there and TRADED for a true Number 1 player. They COULD HAVE in the past. But failed to. We COULD HAVE GOTTEN PAVEL BURE in years past (hell Gretkzy allegedly claimed to management if they would have gotten the russian rockey, wayne would have signed another contract with the rangers and what did the rangers do? Not trade for him.and then the next year after that they traded for pavel)

Besides Messier trade, what trade did they make to really acquire that elite player? They traded for nedved. They traded for Kovalev again. But thats about it.

Old
05-05-2011, 12:26 AM
NaturalIce

Please we don't need a ranger management rant, and if you're going to do it, just do it on the ranger board. Why subject the gen board to this nonsense? I get that you don't agree with a lot of decisions they have made, but atleast they try to win every year. Its not like they purposely want mediocrity. More playoffs=more money for dolan.

NaturalIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 12:28 AM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
No No. Not the BEST TEAM. The biggest name in FREE AGENCY.

And unfortunately, if a player hits FREE AGENCY, he is old and will cost A LOT.

With the new CBA (now OLD cba) players hit free agency at a YOUNGER AGE but the rangers have gone after THE WRONG PLAYERS.

Drury. Redden. Gomez. Boogard. Fleury. Kamensky. Lindros. ect ect.

All big name players. All WAAAY past their prime unfortunately. So I disagree. The Rangers fail all the time at making the team BETTER. They shell OUT MONEY and draft like crap ( they are getting better but still not great.. Tarasenko?)

The rangers havent gone out there and TRADED for a true Number 1 player. They COULD HAVE in the past. But failed to. We COULD HAVE GOTTEN PAVEL BURE in years past (hell Gretkzy allegedly claimed to management if they would have gotten the russian rockey, wayne would have signed another contract with the rangers and what did the rangers do? Not trade for him.and then the next year after that they traded for pavel)

Besides Messier trade, what trade did they make to really acquire that elite player? They traded for nedved. They traded for Kovalev again. But thats about it.
Jagr.

Old
05-05-2011, 12:28 AM
gotmonte

The Rangers management is a bunch of bafoons.

If you dont like the argument, please. Feel free to leave than. the back button is on the top left

Old
05-05-2011, 12:41 AM
NaturalIce

Quote:
The Rangers management is a bunch of bafoons.

If you dont like the argument, please. Feel free to leave than. the back button is on the top left
If you read my point you would have realized it was valid. Why are you ranting about rangers management in the trade rumors and free agency board. This kinda stuff belongs on the ranger board. Your ranting was unprovoked, I just think its unecessary, and not the right place for it.

Old
05-05-2011, 12:45 AM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturalIce View Post
If you read my point you would have realized it was valid. Why are you ranting about rangers management in the trade rumors and free agency board. This kinda stuff belongs on the ranger board. Your ranting was unprovoked, I just think its unecessary, and not the right place for it.
Agreed, the board is about St. Louis becoming a Ranger. Which kinda makes me

Old
05-05-2011, 12:49 AM
gotmonte

The thread was one I created. Sorry if I derailed MY OWN thread.

Old
05-05-2011, 12:51 AM
gotmonte

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturalIce View Post
And just because YOU made a post, doesnt make it "valid". Maybe in YOUR eyes. In MINE it wasnt.

but thats what these threads are FOR. Friendly disagreements.

Old
05-05-2011, 12:56 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
I don't mean to offend Rangers fans, but Sather isn't smart enough to sign a guy like St. Louis. He's put too much money into the wrong people time and time again.

I thought he was a genius when he was Edmonton's GM. He had so little to work for and Edmonton somehow managed to make it to the playoffs from time to time. When he moved over to the Rangers I thought he'd instantly build a dynasty because of all the money he had to work with.

I think he either went blind or got too complacent.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 12:56 AM
NaturalIce

Quote:
And just because YOU made a post, doesnt make it "valid". Maybe in YOUR eyes. In MINE it wasnt.

but thats what these threads are FOR. Friendly disagreements.
Wait, you really don't see why ranting about rangers management doesn't belong on the trade rumors board and belongs on the rangers boards?

Old
05-05-2011, 01:05 AM
gotmonte

Ranting about the rangers management in a thread about rangers almost signing st louis DOES seem odd. Maybe I went off on a tangent lol

Its LATE IN NEW YORK. Get off my back lol!

Old
05-05-2011, 01:08 AM
NaturalIce

Quote:
Ranting about the rangers management in a thread about rangers almost signing st louis DOES seem odd. Maybe I went off on a tangent lol

Its LATE IN NEW YORK. Get off my back lol!
Fair enough! I shouldve gone to sleep about 2 hours ago as well, ill stop arguing with you in 2 different threads now.

Old
05-05-2011, 01:12 AM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
I don't mean to offend Rangers fans, but Sather isn't smart enough to sign a guy like St. Louis. He's put too much money into the wrong people time and time again.

I thought he was a genius when he was Edmonton's GM. He had so little to work for and Edmonton somehow managed to make it to the playoffs from time to time. When he moved over to the Rangers I thought he'd instantly build a dynasty because of all the money he had to work with.

He's not smart enough to sign St. Louis

He traded for Jagr. Signed Gaborik. The guy may be an idiot when it comes to certain FA signings. But he certainly would have tried to go after St. Louis had he hit the market and wanted to come to the Rangers.

Old
05-05-2011, 01:15 AM
NaturalIce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckface NYR View Post
He's not smart enough to sign St. Louis

He traded for Jagr. Signed Gaborik. The guy may be an idiot when it comes to certain FA signings. But he certainly would have tried to go after St. Louis had he hit the market and wanted to come to the Rangers.
Thank you, sather has made some bad UFA signings, but other then that, he's been a good enough gm. He turned the gomez contract into a rookie top 4 defenseman. The jagr trade was awesome, and pulled this franchise out of the toilet. He really is a wizard when it comes to trading.

Old
05-05-2011, 06:24 AM
Bish please
...You're hateful.

vCash: 169
Send a message via MSN to Bish please
Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post

This is what makes this thread so strange. St.Louis wouldn't have become a UFA until July 1st, 2011. So for St.Louis to "almost" be a Ranger New York would have had to trade for him which the only time period St.Louis was contemplating asking for a trade the Lightning didn't have a GM.

Bish please is offline   Reply With Quote