HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Official 2011 Offseason Thread (Part II)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-07-2011, 04:20 PM
  #101
Feed Me A Stray Cat
Registered User
 
Feed Me A Stray Cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Boston, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 11,627
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
There's a number of things that go into the turnaround. Some have more weight than others, but Zharkov getting playing time over someone like Pelley or Mair is one of them.
Zharkov over Mair might result in one extra win over an entire season. Certainly wasn't responsible for the turnaround.

Feed Me A Stray Cat is online now  
Old
05-07-2011, 07:15 PM
  #102
apice3*
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Middletown, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 18,520
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgd31 View Post
We need another two-way minute eater like Tallinder. Fayne was somewhat serviceable in that role but you can't put that on him next year. He's not experienced enough.

That's why a guy like Pitkanen, big, strong skater, adept in all three zones I believe, is someone you want to add.

Idk about you, but how does a guy like Volch make 4.25million as an 18+ minute one dimensional defenseman. I know what he brings in terms of playoff intensity, checking, and PK work, but that number just doesn't add up.

You invest 4 million + in a more well-rounded defensemen.
I don't like the nitpick the contracts of anyone who does what they were asked to do. That's one reason why I don't have any problem with Elias is making 6 mil. Lou gave the players their contracts based on what they should do. If they do that, then I don't care what they're making.

Volchenkov is being paid his 4+ mil to hit people and play shutdown D. He's not being paid to score goals or shine in the offensive end. He's been effective in his role so he has earned that contract.

If you want to point the finger at contracts, look towards Rolston and Clarkson. Aside from those two, I have 0 problems with our players' salaries. Lou gets blamed too much. Find me another team where at least 18 of the usual 20 guys are playing to their contracts. Lou's got a 90% on his current roster. That's an A.

apice3* is offline  
Old
05-07-2011, 07:40 PM
  #103
CerebralGenesis
Registered User
 
CerebralGenesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 23,569
vCash: 500
My only comment on that is that they are being paid too much to do what they do. If you think zubrus's contract is good and just then I'm not entirely sure what to say as our expectations are way different.

CerebralGenesis is offline  
Old
05-07-2011, 08:23 PM
  #104
Mgd31
Registered User
 
Mgd31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Flushing, NY
Posts: 8,958
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
I don't like the nitpick the contracts of anyone who does what they were asked to do. That's one reason why I don't have any problem with Elias is making 6 mil. Lou gave the players their contracts based on what they should do. If they do that, then I don't care what they're making.

Volchenkov is being paid his 4+ mil to hit people and play shutdown D. He's not being paid to score goals or shine in the offensive end. He's been effective in his role so he has earned that contract.
I'm not saying Volch isn't doing what he's asked nor should he transform into some offensive defenseman. I just don't think a player of his mold should be dished out such a large financial commitment

Mgd31 is offline  
Old
05-07-2011, 09:52 PM
  #105
Oroku Saki*
Pete Hearts Volch
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Rocky Point
Country: United States
Posts: 24,130
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgd31 View Post
I'm not saying Volch isn't doing what he's asked nor should he transform into some offensive defenseman. I just don't think a player of his mold should be dished out such a large financial commitment
He's an extremely solid #2 who can play 22 minutes a night if needed. The problem is we are missing a #1 which in turn messes up the optimal slotting of defenseman. I don't mind paying my number two $4 million. I wish we had money to go after Markov but with his injury issues and Volchenkov always getting hurt, I don't think it's the best option to rely on them to make up our first pairing.

If we somehow by the graces of God got Suter, pairing him with Volch would be a great duo since Suter is very solid in his own end and can help Volch out if he gets caught going for a big hit.

We're really going to see how much Anton is worth in the post season. Pens fans couldn't get "shot blocked by Volchenkov" out of their heads.

Oroku Saki* is offline  
Old
05-07-2011, 11:22 PM
  #106
apice3*
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Middletown, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 18,520
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CerebralGenesis View Post
My only comment on that is that they are being paid too much to do what they do. If you think zubrus's contract is good and just then I'm not entirely sure what to say as our expectations are way different.
Like I said, if Lou thinks Volch is worth 4+ mil, and then Volch does everything Lou asks him to do, I have no issue.

Meanwhile, Rolston was (foolishly) paid 5 mil to be a 30 goal scorer and he hasn't done that. Clarkson was paid to be a 3rd line, 20 goal scorer and hasn't done that. Those are the only two contracts I have issues with.

apice3* is offline  
Old
05-07-2011, 11:36 PM
  #107
Mgd31
Registered User
 
Mgd31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Flushing, NY
Posts: 8,958
vCash: 500
I just feel that with a cap hit and term like that you have to possess some semblance of a two-way game. Volch has never averaged more than 21 minutes a game in one season.

Mgd31 is offline  
Old
05-07-2011, 11:41 PM
  #108
apice3*
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Middletown, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 18,520
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgd31 View Post
I just feel that with a cap hit and term like that you have to possess some semblance of a two-way game. Volch has never averaged more than 21 minutes a game in one season.
Fair enough. I just think his role as a shutdown D-man is worth the money. He makes very few mistakes, he's not afraid to shoot the puck (although he won't record many points), and he'll generate some momentum boosting hits. I think he's worth the money.

apice3* is offline  
Old
05-07-2011, 11:49 PM
  #109
Oroku Saki*
Pete Hearts Volch
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Rocky Point
Country: United States
Posts: 24,130
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgd31 View Post
I just feel that with a cap hit and term like that you have to possess some semblance of a two-way game. Volch has never averaged more than 21 minutes a game in one season.
It's really not that much, especially with the cap going up. I personally think he's worth it and you always have to overpay a little bit in free agency. Lou brought him in to make the team tougher to play against. Wait until the playoffs, it's where he earns most of his coin. He will put his body on the line like no other will. We need that on this team. So in a way, he's not really one dimensional, he just isn't a point getter.

Oroku Saki* is offline  
Old
05-07-2011, 11:50 PM
  #110
Das Uber
Kitten Mittens
 
Das Uber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Omicron Persei 8
Country: United States
Posts: 23,798
vCash: 500
If Zharkov was up in Jersey the whole season we would have won the Presidents' Trophy. Statistics are never wrong ever.

Das Uber is offline  
Old
05-08-2011, 12:14 AM
  #111
CerebralGenesis
Registered User
 
CerebralGenesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 23,569
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
Like I said, if Lou thinks Volch is worth 4+ mil, and then Volch does everything Lou asks him to do, I have no issue.

Meanwhile, Rolston was (foolishly) paid 5 mil to be a 30 goal scorer and he hasn't done that. Clarkson was paid to be a 3rd line, 20 goal scorer and hasn't done that. Those are the only two contracts I have issues with.
I can't say that I agree with the end of that but fair enough. I have no problems with Volchenkov to be honest. He is good in his own end and has some semblance of effort in the ozone.

CerebralGenesis is offline  
Old
05-08-2011, 01:01 AM
  #112
CFD
shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
 
CFD's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 18,087
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgd31 View Post
I'm not saying Volch isn't doing what he's asked nor should he transform into some offensive defenseman. I just don't think a player of his mold should be dished out such a large financial commitment
Well not for nothing, but Volchenkov was at least only our 3rd best defender this year and only when he was actually in the lineup.

I'm sorry to rock the boat with some of you guys, but he has a lot of work to do to prove that contract (and I'll give you a hint, he probably won't - not at that money).

Funny that we kill a former Devil defenseman for being brittle but now we revere a guy who has failed to play over 70 games since 2007.

And as a disclaimer, I like Volchenkov, but I just like to point out inconsistencies on the board here.

CFD is offline  
Old
05-08-2011, 01:12 AM
  #113
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation
 
Zajacs Bowl Cut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Southampton, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 38,287
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Zajacs Bowl Cut Send a message via Yahoo to Zajacs Bowl Cut
i cant fault him for missing those games early in the year last year. that was a serious thing, he was hit in the god damn face with the puck

if it was something like tweaking a groin all the time, etc. i could understand but im not going to kill him for being out of the lineup for taking a puck to the face

Zajacs Bowl Cut is offline  
Old
05-08-2011, 01:13 AM
  #114
Mgd31
Registered User
 
Mgd31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Flushing, NY
Posts: 8,958
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkson Falls Down View Post
Well not for nothing, but Volchenkov was at least only our 3rd best defender this year and only when he was actually in the lineup.

I'm sorry to rock the boat with some of you guys, but he has a lot of work to do to prove that contract (and I'll give you a hint, he probably won't - not at that money).

Funny that we kill a former Devil defenseman for being brittle but now we revere a guy who has failed to play over 70 games since 2007.

And as a disclaimer, I like Volchenkov, but I just like to point out inconsistencies on the board here.
Lou really has a knack for adding on unnecessary years. 6 years for Zubrus. 4 for Rolston, 6 for Volch, 4 for Tallinder. I know its a bidding war, but when was the last time he got a free agent signing right in terms of length.

Come to think of it. How the hell do you invest 6 years in a player like Zubrus. Even at the time .

Mgd31 is offline  
Old
05-08-2011, 01:16 AM
  #115
CFD
shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
 
CFD's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 18,087
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Whites Eye View Post
i cant fault him for missing those games early in the year last year. that was a serious thing, he was hit in the god damn face with the puck

if it was something like tweaking a groin all the time, etc. i could understand but im not going to kill him for being out of the lineup for taking a puck to the face
Hey, those injuries are unavoidable. But when you miss 15 games a year for 4 years running is a pattern though isn't a fluke.

I'm really just saying that he's someone to watch next year. Because he was far from great his year, and with the amount of similar players we have on the roster, you can't help but question it. But I think we'll see more next year when he isn't taking pucks to the face.

CFD is offline  
Old
05-08-2011, 06:53 AM
  #116
Goose Huckabee
Registered User
 
Goose Huckabee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 1,500
vCash: 500
Everyone paying attention to how much more physical the playoffs are? That's where Volch will be worth more than his salary. He's a ribeye on a team full of strawberry shortcakes and dollops of creme fraiche.

Goose Huckabee is offline  
Old
05-08-2011, 08:24 AM
  #117
åboriginal
lou ****ing sucks
 
åboriginal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: LV-426
Country: Finland
Posts: 24,027
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to åboriginal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose Huckabee View Post
Everyone paying attention to how much more physical the playoffs are? That's where Volch will be worth more than his salary. He's a ribeye on a team full of strawberry shortcakes and dollops of creme fraiche.
hey creme fraiche is good ****. mix it with lots of dill, a little lemon then put it on top of baked salmon. deeeelish. i suppose then that would represent our scandinavian contingent...which i guess seems pretty soft. but the grub is good.

åboriginal is offline  
Old
05-08-2011, 08:49 AM
  #118
njdevsfn95
Help Vas, Sprite.
 
njdevsfn95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 29,447
vCash: 500
Lou built this team and paid salaries on the expectation that they would make the playoffs.

NO ONE earned their salary this year, they were all grossly overpaid, some more than others of course.

njdevsfn95 is offline  
Old
05-08-2011, 09:01 AM
  #119
åboriginal
lou ****ing sucks
 
åboriginal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: LV-426
Country: Finland
Posts: 24,027
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to åboriginal
Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevsfn95 View Post
Lou built this team and paid salaries on the expectation that they would make the playoffs.

NO ONE earned their salary this year, they were all grossly overpaid, some more than others of course.
you just submitted your coach application

åboriginal is offline  
Old
05-08-2011, 11:04 AM
  #120
Oroku Saki*
Pete Hearts Volch
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Rocky Point
Country: United States
Posts: 24,130
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkson Falls Down View Post
Hey, those injuries are unavoidable. But when you miss 15 games a year for 4 years running is a pattern though isn't a fluke.

I'm really just saying that he's someone to watch next year. Because he was far from great his year, and with the amount of similar players we have on the roster, you can't help but question it. But I think we'll see more next year when he isn't taking pucks to the face.
Was anyone "great" this year?

Oroku Saki* is offline  
Old
05-08-2011, 01:29 PM
  #121
CFD
shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
 
CFD's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 18,087
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volchenkov 28 View Post
Was anyone "great" this year?
In the 2nd half? There were a couple of really good defensive performances, but Volchenkov never was head and shoulders better than anyone on the D. White and Tallinder were far better in the 2nd half.

CFD is offline  
Old
05-08-2011, 01:30 PM
  #122
MJB Devils23*
No lockout!
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 37,006
vCash: 500
Would anybody be willing to get Anton Babchuk?

MJB Devils23* is offline  
Old
05-08-2011, 01:34 PM
  #123
Devilsfan92
4 8 15 16 23 42
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,720
vCash: 500
I'm down. He did well in Calgary.

Pretty sure he has the same agent as Kovy, Anssi, Moose, & Volchenkov too, Grossman.

Devilsfan92 is offline  
Old
05-08-2011, 01:40 PM
  #124
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Strathroy, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 62,898
vCash: 500
I wouldn't mind Babchuk, but for 2M max.

Jaysfanatic* is offline  
Old
05-08-2011, 04:25 PM
  #125
AirheadPete
G-Dub
 
AirheadPete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 6,622
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volchenkov 28 View Post
He's an extremely solid #2 who can play 22 minutes a night if needed. The problem is we are missing a #1 which in turn messes up the optimal slotting of defenseman. I don't mind paying my number two $4 million. I wish we had money to go after Markov but with his injury issues and Volchenkov always getting hurt, I don't think it's the best option to rely on them to make up our first pairing.

If we somehow by the graces of God got Suter, pairing him with Volch would be a great duo since Suter is very solid in his own end and can help Volch out if he gets caught going for a big hit.

We're really going to see how much Anton is worth in the post season. Pens fans couldn't get "shot blocked by Volchenkov" out of their heads.
pretty much echoed what goes thru my hard about volchy.....he's one of those guys who is built for a playoff run and series and i cant wait to see him bringing out his playoff warrior side that hes known for, hopefully next year.

AirheadPete is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:47 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.