HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Official 2011 Offseason Thread (Part II)

Closed Thread

Old
05-07-2011, 04:20 PM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
There's a number of things that go into the turnaround. Some have more weight than others, but Zharkov getting playing time over someone like Pelley or Mair is one of them.
Zharkov over Mair might result in one extra win over an entire season. Certainly wasn't responsible for the turnaround.

Old
05-07-2011, 07:15 PM
apice3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgd31 View Post
We need another two-way minute eater like Tallinder. Fayne was somewhat serviceable in that role but you can't put that on him next year. He's not experienced enough.

That's why a guy like Pitkanen, big, strong skater, adept in all three zones I believe, is someone you want to add.

Idk about you, but how does a guy like Volch make 4.25million as an 18+ minute one dimensional defenseman. I know what he brings in terms of playoff intensity, checking, and PK work, but that number just doesn't add up.

You invest 4 million + in a more well-rounded defensemen.
I don't like the nitpick the contracts of anyone who does what they were asked to do. That's one reason why I don't have any problem with Elias is making 6 mil. Lou gave the players their contracts based on what they should do. If they do that, then I don't care what they're making.

Volchenkov is being paid his 4+ mil to hit people and play shutdown D. He's not being paid to score goals or shine in the offensive end. He's been effective in his role so he has earned that contract.

If you want to point the finger at contracts, look towards Rolston and Clarkson. Aside from those two, I have 0 problems with our players' salaries. Lou gets blamed too much. Find me another team where at least 18 of the usual 20 guys are playing to their contracts. Lou's got a 90% on his current roster. That's an A.

Old
05-07-2011, 07:40 PM
CerebralGenesis

My only comment on that is that they are being paid too much to do what they do. If you think zubrus's contract is good and just then I'm not entirely sure what to say as our expectations are way different.

Old
05-07-2011, 08:23 PM
Mgd31

Quote:
I don't like the nitpick the contracts of anyone who does what they were asked to do. That's one reason why I don't have any problem with Elias is making 6 mil. Lou gave the players their contracts based on what they should do. If they do that, then I don't care what they're making.

Volchenkov is being paid his 4+ mil to hit people and play shutdown D. He's not being paid to score goals or shine in the offensive end. He's been effective in his role so he has earned that contract.
I'm not saying Volch isn't doing what he's asked nor should he transform into some offensive defenseman. I just don't think a player of his mold should be dished out such a large financial commitment

Old
05-07-2011, 09:52 PM
Oroku Saki*
Pete Hearts Volch

Quote:
I'm not saying Volch isn't doing what he's asked nor should he transform into some offensive defenseman. I just don't think a player of his mold should be dished out such a large financial commitment
He's an extremely solid #2 who can play 22 minutes a night if needed. The problem is we are missing a #1 which in turn messes up the optimal slotting of defenseman. I don't mind paying my number two $4 million. I wish we had money to go after Markov but with his injury issues and Volchenkov always getting hurt, I don't think it's the best option to rely on them to make up our first pairing.

If we somehow by the graces of God got Suter, pairing him with Volch would be a great duo since Suter is very solid in his own end and can help Volch out if he gets caught going for a big hit.

We're really going to see how much Anton is worth in the post season. Pens fans couldn't get "shot blocked by Volchenkov" out of their heads.

Old
05-07-2011, 11:22 PM
apice3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerebralGenesis View Post
My only comment on that is that they are being paid too much to do what they do. If you think zubrus's contract is good and just then I'm not entirely sure what to say as our expectations are way different.
Like I said, if Lou thinks Volch is worth 4+ mil, and then Volch does everything Lou asks him to do, I have no issue.

Meanwhile, Rolston was (foolishly) paid 5 mil to be a 30 goal scorer and he hasn't done that. Clarkson was paid to be a 3rd line, 20 goal scorer and hasn't done that. Those are the only two contracts I have issues with.

Old
05-07-2011, 11:36 PM
Mgd31

I just feel that with a cap hit and term like that you have to possess some semblance of a two-way game. Volch has never averaged more than 21 minutes a game in one season.

Old
05-07-2011, 11:41 PM
apice3*

Quote:
I just feel that with a cap hit and term like that you have to possess some semblance of a two-way game. Volch has never averaged more than 21 minutes a game in one season.
Fair enough. I just think his role as a shutdown D-man is worth the money. He makes very few mistakes, he's not afraid to shoot the puck (although he won't record many points), and he'll generate some momentum boosting hits. I think he's worth the money.

Old
05-07-2011, 11:49 PM
Oroku Saki*
Pete Hearts Volch

Quote:
It's really not that much, especially with the cap going up. I personally think he's worth it and you always have to overpay a little bit in free agency. Lou brought him in to make the team tougher to play against. Wait until the playoffs, it's where he earns most of his coin. He will put his body on the line like no other will. We need that on this team. So in a way, he's not really one dimensional, he just isn't a point getter.

Old
05-07-2011, 11:50 PM
Das Uber
Kitten Mittens

If Zharkov was up in Jersey the whole season we would have won the Presidents' Trophy. Statistics are never wrong ever.

Old
05-08-2011, 12:14 AM
CerebralGenesis

Quote:
Like I said, if Lou thinks Volch is worth 4+ mil, and then Volch does everything Lou asks him to do, I have no issue.

Meanwhile, Rolston was (foolishly) paid 5 mil to be a 30 goal scorer and he hasn't done that. Clarkson was paid to be a 3rd line, 20 goal scorer and hasn't done that. Those are the only two contracts I have issues with.
I can't say that I agree with the end of that but fair enough. I have no problems with Volchenkov to be honest. He is good in his own end and has some semblance of effort in the ozone.

Old
05-08-2011, 01:01 AM
CFD
shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Quote:
Well not for nothing, but Volchenkov was at least only our 3rd best defender this year and only when he was actually in the lineup.

I'm sorry to rock the boat with some of you guys, but he has a lot of work to do to prove that contract (and I'll give you a hint, he probably won't - not at that money).

Funny that we kill a former Devil defenseman for being brittle but now we revere a guy who has failed to play over 70 games since 2007.

And as a disclaimer, I like Volchenkov, but I just like to point out inconsistencies on the board here.

Old
05-08-2011, 01:12 AM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Send a message via AIM to Zajacs Bowl Cut Send a message via Yahoo to Zajacs Bowl Cut
i cant fault him for missing those games early in the year last year. that was a serious thing, he was hit in the god damn face with the puck

if it was something like tweaking a groin all the time, etc. i could understand but im not going to kill him for being out of the lineup for taking a puck to the face

Old
05-08-2011, 01:13 AM
Mgd31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkson Falls Down View Post
Well not for nothing, but Volchenkov was at least only our 3rd best defender this year and only when he was actually in the lineup.

I'm sorry to rock the boat with some of you guys, but he has a lot of work to do to prove that contract (and I'll give you a hint, he probably won't - not at that money).

Funny that we kill a former Devil defenseman for being brittle but now we revere a guy who has failed to play over 70 games since 2007.

And as a disclaimer, I like Volchenkov, but I just like to point out inconsistencies on the board here.
Lou really has a knack for adding on unnecessary years. 6 years for Zubrus. 4 for Rolston, 6 for Volch, 4 for Tallinder. I know its a bidding war, but when was the last time he got a free agent signing right in terms of length.

Come to think of it. How the hell do you invest 6 years in a player like Zubrus. Even at the time .

Old
05-08-2011, 01:16 AM
CFD
shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Whites Eye View Post
i cant fault him for missing those games early in the year last year. that was a serious thing, he was hit in the god damn face with the puck

if it was something like tweaking a groin all the time, etc. i could understand but im not going to kill him for being out of the lineup for taking a puck to the face
Hey, those injuries are unavoidable. But when you miss 15 games a year for 4 years running is a pattern though isn't a fluke.

I'm really just saying that he's someone to watch next year. Because he was far from great his year, and with the amount of similar players we have on the roster, you can't help but question it. But I think we'll see more next year when he isn't taking pucks to the face.

Old
05-08-2011, 06:53 AM
Goose Huckabee

Everyone paying attention to how much more physical the playoffs are? That's where Volch will be worth more than his salary. He's a ribeye on a team full of strawberry shortcakes and dollops of creme fraiche.

Old
05-08-2011, 08:24 AM
åboriginal
lou ****ing sucks

Send a message via MSN to åboriginal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose Huckabee View Post
Everyone paying attention to how much more physical the playoffs are? That's where Volch will be worth more than his salary. He's a ribeye on a team full of strawberry shortcakes and dollops of creme fraiche.
hey creme fraiche is good ****. mix it with lots of dill, a little lemon then put it on top of baked salmon. deeeelish. i suppose then that would represent our scandinavian contingent...which i guess seems pretty soft. but the grub is good.

Old
05-08-2011, 08:49 AM
njdevsfn95
Help Vas, Sprite.

Lou built this team and paid salaries on the expectation that they would make the playoffs.

NO ONE earned their salary this year, they were all grossly overpaid, some more than others of course.

Old
05-08-2011, 09:01 AM
åboriginal
lou ****ing sucks

Send a message via MSN to åboriginal
Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevsfn95 View Post
Lou built this team and paid salaries on the expectation that they would make the playoffs.

NO ONE earned their salary this year, they were all grossly overpaid, some more than others of course.
you just submitted your coach application

Old
05-08-2011, 11:04 AM
Oroku Saki*
Pete Hearts Volch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkson Falls Down View Post
Hey, those injuries are unavoidable. But when you miss 15 games a year for 4 years running is a pattern though isn't a fluke.

I'm really just saying that he's someone to watch next year. Because he was far from great his year, and with the amount of similar players we have on the roster, you can't help but question it. But I think we'll see more next year when he isn't taking pucks to the face.
Was anyone "great" this year?

Old
05-08-2011, 01:29 PM
CFD
shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volchenkov 28 View Post
Was anyone "great" this year?
In the 2nd half? There were a couple of really good defensive performances, but Volchenkov never was head and shoulders better than anyone on the D. White and Tallinder were far better in the 2nd half.

Old
05-08-2011, 01:30 PM
MJB Devils23*
No lockout!

Would anybody be willing to get Anton Babchuk?

Old
05-08-2011, 01:34 PM
Devilsfan92
4 8 15 16 23 42

I'm down. He did well in Calgary.

Pretty sure he has the same agent as Kovy, Anssi, Moose, & Volchenkov too, Grossman.

Old
05-08-2011, 01:40 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

I wouldn't mind Babchuk, but for 2M max.

Old
05-08-2011, 04:25 PM
AirheadPete
G-Dub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volchenkov 28 View Post
He's an extremely solid #2 who can play 22 minutes a night if needed. The problem is we are missing a #1 which in turn messes up the optimal slotting of defenseman. I don't mind paying my number two $4 million. I wish we had money to go after Markov but with his injury issues and Volchenkov always getting hurt, I don't think it's the best option to rely on them to make up our first pairing.

If we somehow by the graces of God got Suter, pairing him with Volch would be a great duo since Suter is very solid in his own end and can help Volch out if he gets caught going for a big hit.

We're really going to see how much Anton is worth in the post season. Pens fans couldn't get "shot blocked by Volchenkov" out of their heads.
pretty much echoed what goes thru my hard about volchy.....he's one of those guys who is built for a playoff run and series and i cant wait to see him bringing out his playoff warrior side that hes known for, hopefully next year.

Closed Thread