HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Moving to Ottawa

Closed Thread

Old
05-05-2011, 09:57 AM
koreaboy

vCash: 500
ottawa is a city that is VERY split along east-west lines. i grew up in the west end and for much of my life i knew very little about the east end. i didnt know anyone in the east end, didnt really socialize with anyone in the east end, and never really had any desire or need to go too much to the east end. when i went to university it was kind of strange because many of the people i met there were in an "east end" crowd, and we commented often about how completely separate the two groups and parts of the city were.

the east is definitely more francophone than the west. but there are comparable neighbourhoods on both ends of the city. a new axis of growth is now SOUTH, which was pretty much empty when i was a kid. riverside south, barrhaven, manotick, finley creek, etc etc. are all exploding neighbourhoods now.

if you are living in the east end, communiting to a "mid-west" school like merivale won't be easy for you. working in the school board i can tell you that canterbury is the preeminent arts school in the city, by far. if you can move into that catchment area you can avoid the whole audition process.

Old
05-05-2011, 10:46 AM
BK201

Quote:
Originally Posted by koreaboy View Post
ottawa is a city that is VERY split along east-west lines. i grew up in the west end and for much of my life i knew very little about the east end. i didnt know anyone in the east end, didnt really socialize with anyone in the east end, and never really had any desire or need to go too much to the east end. when i went to university it was kind of strange because many of the people i met there were in an "east end" crowd, and we commented often about how completely separate the two groups and parts of the city were.

the east is definitely more francophone than the west. but there are comparable neighbourhoods on both ends of the city. a new axis of growth is now SOUTH, which was pretty much empty when i was a kid. riverside south, barrhaven, manotick, finley creek, etc etc. are all exploding neighbourhoods now.

if you are living in the east end, communiting to a "mid-west" school like merivale won't be easy for you. working in the school board i can tell you that canterbury is the preeminent arts school in the city, by far. if you can move into that catchment area you can avoid the whole audition process.
QFT

I never have had to go to the east end for anything I don't really know the city that well east of bank pretty much.

Lived and moved around the west end all my life went to like 5 different schools in the west went to college in the west got a job in the west.

The only people I know from the east end moved to barhaven and centrepoint >.> weird.

Old
05-05-2011, 01:05 PM
coladin

I live near the airport and my son plays hockey for Leitrim. We have been going to Orleans a lot recently for hockey and gottas say that area is very dveloped with possibly the best services in the city now. I would go to Wilfrid Laurier if I were you. Nice area, all the amenities plus ray Friel Center is right beside. It is very french...it surprises me how much so. My son is playing 4 on 4 hockey right now and it is like we are playing in Gatineau! Of course they speak English, just saying that it is a great are afor francophones.

I grew up in the West end and Merivale was basically a school that was ridiculed in my time, known as a dump. Nowadays, they are a very reputable school. That area is the twin of 10th line where sir Wilf is...all the amenities that you would want , posibly more expensive to find a place though as far as rents are concerned.

Can't go wrong with either one.

Old
05-05-2011, 05:07 PM
damianthesensfan
Alfie!!!

all i gotta say is whorleans.......depends what kidna crowd she gets into. i guess that applys anywhere.

just looking out for a fellow sens fan....thats what you are right!

Old
05-05-2011, 05:12 PM
ladybugblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by damianthesensfan View Post
all i gotta say is whorleans.......depends what kidna crowd she gets into. i guess that applys anywhere.

Okay thanks, yes I have been a fan for almost 10 years now!

She is pretty careful who she is friends with but good to know.

Old
05-05-2011, 05:41 PM
Anca18

vCash: 1850
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybugblue View Post
Good to know, I am getting very little information from the websites. From what it looked like there was no class on animation at all, so I hadn't considered that particular school.

The hard part is going to find housing in the area for the school. We are going to be renting most likely a townhouse or similar.
I'm currently living in that area and used to attend Earl of March. Your daughter will love the school, a wide variety of arts classes available, I only took the grade 10 programing course, I loved it but it really wasn't for me, course focuses on coding, mainly for games. But it's an intro course, so if she wants to take any more courses in programing/computer studies she will need that course...obviously I'm basing this around the fact that I'm guessing your daughter is in grade 10. If not, well, they'll find a way to get her the courses she wants.

There's a huge complex of townhouses by W. Erskine Johnston Elementary, which is like a 15 minute walk away from EOM. Although I would suggest Kanata Lakes, but not much is available townhouse wise.

I can honestly give nothing but praise to EOM, amazing school. Oh,and if she does end up going there, just hope your last name is under a Mr. Barnabe, best counselor ever, and he'll do everything possible to make the move as easy as possible, he'll even get around having to the intro courses(he did it for me twice, and got me into a grade 11 class while I was in grade 10).

TELL HER TO AVOID THE SMOKING SECTION AT ALL COSTS. I had my fair share, cops will come and arrest you even if you're just standing there.

Old
05-05-2011, 05:50 PM
Anca18

Quote:
Another question, does anyone have a preference for a bundle with either Rogers or Bell. Since we don't know where we might be living we might not have a choice, but thought I should find out what the deals are...we would be getting TV, internet, phone, and cell phones.

Currently we are with shaw's bundle and I get TV, phone and internet for about $175.
Bundle with Bell, my only problem with them has been their insane data roaming charge of $6/MB in the US...stupid iPhone :/

But yeah, bundle with Bell...I can't give you an exact price, but I have always loved their services and even was sent a recounted bill on one, it dropped by $270(US Data Roaming...I checked in on Facebook, lol).

Old
05-05-2011, 05:52 PM
Pietraneglo222
WwWwW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker5123 View Post

TELL HER TO AVOID THE SMOKING SECTION AT ALL COSTS. I had my fair share, cops will come and arrest you even if you're just standing there.
wat?

Old
05-05-2011, 05:54 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by damianthesensfan View Post

I've lived here for 22 years and I've never understood the "Whorleans" thing if anyone actually thinks its because it represents the area. I used to call it that all the time....but only because it worked, not because I actually thought there was an overabundance of ******

There are misguided children anywhere you go, I'd be shocked if a middle class cookie cutter suburb like Orleans had any more of it.

Old
05-05-2011, 05:55 PM
Anca18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immanuel View Post
wat?
Oh yeah...you have no idea. I was just standing there, grade 12, with some friends. Cops pull up, put us all in handcuffs and send us to the office, then to the police station. Everyone got off free though, only two people that were smoking were(somehow) of age. And the rest were clean(including me).

Old
05-05-2011, 05:58 PM
Pietraneglo222
WwWwW

Quote:
Bundle with Bell, my only problem with them has been their insane data roaming charge of $6/MB in the US...stupid iPhone :/

But yeah, bundle with Bell...I can't give you an exact price, but I have always loved their services and even was sent a recounted bill on one, it dropped by $270(US Data Roaming...I checked in on Facebook, lol).
How can you love Bhell? They treat their customers like fools and overcharge/underserve everywhere they can imagine. They are probably the most dishonest and predatory telecommunications company in the developed world. Wind mobile and Teksavvy all the way. Screw Bhell.

Old
05-05-2011, 05:59 PM
Pietraneglo222
WwWwW

Quote:
Oh yeah...you have no idea. I was just standing there, grade 12, with some friends. Cops pull up, put us all in handcuffs and send us to the office, then to the police station. Everyone got off free though, only two people that were smoking were(somehow) of age. And the rest were clean(including me).
You can get arrested for underage smoking in Ontario?

Old
05-05-2011, 06:00 PM
Anca18

Quote:
How can you love Bhell? They treat their customers like fools and overcharge/underserve everywhere they can imagine. They are probably the most dishonest and predatory telecommunications company in the developed world. Wind mobile and Teksavvy all the way. Screw Bhell.
Bell*

Neither I, nor my parents have ever had a problem with Bell...I'm basing this off personal experience, but honestly, wherever I go within Canada, I will go with Bell when it's available.

Old
05-05-2011, 06:01 PM
Anca18

Quote:
You can get arrested for underage smoking in Ontario?
Only two out of like 12 of us were smoking...school and the cops are insanely strict about it(only during school hours though).

Old
05-05-2011, 06:26 PM
Pietraneglo222
WwWwW

Quote:
Bell*

Neither I, nor my parents have ever had a problem with Bell...I'm basing this off personal experience, but honestly, wherever I go within Canada, I will go with Bell when it's available.
unlimited local minutes and text:

-WIND mobile: $25
-Bhell: N/A ($70 will only get you 600 minutes.)

300gb internet cap:

-Teksavvy: $31 /m
-Bhell: $100 /m

and for good measure:

Old
05-05-2011, 06:28 PM
mat_sens
@mat_sens #lalala

vCash: 1425
Quote:

300gb internet cap:

and for good measure:

Wind mobile Sucks

Old
05-05-2011, 06:38 PM
Anca18

Quote:

300gb internet cap:

and for good measure:

Bell*

You know there's a problem when they cant spell Tech...and dude seriously, who can afford to charge you $25 for unlimited talk & text, unless it's really crappy, which usually means they're probably doing something that may not be on the legal side of things to be able to charge you that little...yes, Bell may be more expensive, but I like companies that more then ~500 people know about.

Old
05-05-2011, 06:46 PM
Pietraneglo222
WwWwW

Quote:
Bell*

You know there's a problem when they cant spell Tech...and dude seriously, who can afford to charge you $25 for unlimited talk & text, unless it's really crappy, which usually means they're probably doing something that may not be on the legal side of things to be able to charge you that little...yes, Bell may be more expensive, but I like companies that more then ~500 people know about.
You're funny.

Old
05-05-2011, 07:56 PM
Bure

Here's some things to know, avoid the following school's

Gloucester High School
De La Salle
Lester B. Pearson

Also there is nothing wrong with Orleans.

Old
05-05-2011, 09:21 PM
DJB

vCash: 964
PLease stay away from the following areas.

Jasmine cr.
Caldwell area
Heatherington and basically the entire Walkley and Heron gate area.
Vanier (All of it, from Rideau all the way to Montreal and Shefford)
King Edward and Rideau area (unless you like drug addicts and homeless people)

Old
05-06-2011, 09:47 AM
coladin

I have 2 cell phones, 2 PVR HD with all the channels, internet, home phone, long distance, 275/mo. Rogers has provided me wth the best servce. best thing is you can negotiate with these guys, tell them you are thinking of switching to Bell and watch them work. Great stuff!

I don't think you are safe in any neighborhood in Ottawa. You have afflluent neighborhoods with sickos, affluent neighborhoods with snobs and spoiled children who egg your house, break -ins from thrill seekers, etc...I have friends in all p[arts of the city being born and raised here and approaching my 40s. Doesn't matter. I am in the landlord business and my advice to new people in Ottawa is always to go in populated areas. Stay away from suburbia. the deeper you go into it, the more crime generally exists. You live in higher desnity areas or areas of more traffic and you have to be quite brazen to do bad things.

Have to say, Orleans , the more time I drive out there for hockey, looks quite nice, shedding its once unpopular reputation.

Old
05-06-2011, 11:48 AM
Kush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
I've lived here for 22 years and I've never understood the "Whorleans" thing if anyone actually thinks its because it represents the area. I used to call it that all the time....but only because it worked, not because I actually thought there was an overabundance of ******

There are misguided children anywhere you go, I'd be shocked if a middle class cookie cutter suburb like Orleans had any more of it.

I've been in Orleans my whole life, and I don't speak ANY french. Orleans is a great place to raise a family. The funny thing is, I never hear it being refered to "whorleans" until now....

Old
05-06-2011, 11:56 AM
BonkTastic
+/- =Worst Stat EVER

If your daughter is at all gifted, Merivale is BY FAR the best option. Their gifted program is excellent, and has a very good track record for future success.

The Catholic board in Ottawa doesn't offer gifted-specific classes to my knowledge, however. I could be wrong, though.

Old
05-06-2011, 12:24 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
The company is located in more of an industrial area, on St. Laurent Blvd, so I don't need to commute downtown.

I had looked at Cantebury, but you need to either live in the catchment area or audition and we have already missed the deadline for auditions. Also, according to the website for Cantebury there is no animation class, and the students focus only on one area, so she couldn't take drama, music and animation. That is not really what she is looking for, she wants to be able to take more than one type of class.
Surprised it took me this long to plug my old high school in...but it's a worthy consideration.

Colonel By is one of the most respected schools in the area, it's on Ogilvie Road about a 5 minute drive to where it connects with St Laurent Blvd.

MacLean's magazine acclaimed (2005):
http://www.macleans.ca/education/uni..._110998_110998

"Cougar Vision" digital daily morning show (includes animation work)
http://www.orleansstar.ca/Living/Edu...of-hard-work/1

Athletic program
http://www.ottawacitizen.com/sports/...152/story.html

The general "home school" area for CB is large parts of Orleans and in Beacon Hill South (where the school is located)...kids come from all over if they seek the IB program, though if that applied to your case I assume you would have mentioned it.

Old
05-06-2011, 02:12 PM
Blair Sens

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJB View Post
PLease stay away from the following areas.

Vanier (All of it, from Rideau all the way to Montreal and Shefford)
lol....

You know that would include very wealthy neighbourhoods like Rockliffe and Rothwell Heights, as well as plenty of other perfectly acceptable areas like Beacon Hill North and Manor Park.

Closed Thread