HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Ruff; priority is developing a "lockdown pair"

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-05-2011, 04:17 PM
  #51
jBuds
pretty damn valuable
 
jBuds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NYC Suburbs
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 26,456
vCash: 500
Interesting. I absolutely believe this is hinting at an outside body coming aboard - or a desire to see one, at least.

He'd be "company lining" it and pumping up Rej or Butler if he thought they were Myers' partner of the future.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 04:17 PM
  #52
joshjull
Moderator
 
joshjull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Hamburg,NY
Country: United States
Posts: 31,418
vCash: 500
Ghills

Sekera' deal is up now and he is a RFA

joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 04:41 PM
  #53
buffalowing88
Registered User
 
buffalowing88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,371
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabathia View Post
If ever a credibility-sapping post existed...
Oh man...I woke up this morning hoping I didn't actually create that post. Dollar beer night got the best of Buffalowing88 last night haha. I am, however, impressed with my impeccable grammar after the number of drafts I ingested last night.

/Now crawling back into my hangover cave...

buffalowing88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 04:43 PM
  #54
Ghills23
Registered User
 
Ghills23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Buffalo
Country: United States
Posts: 2,704
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Ghills

Sekera' deal is up now and he is a RFA
My mistake. Sekera and Polak are both RFA's.

Ghills23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 04:51 PM
  #55
Ghills23
Registered User
 
Ghills23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Buffalo
Country: United States
Posts: 2,704
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
Interesting. I absolutely believe this is hinting at an outside body coming aboard - or a desire to see one, at least.

He'd be "company lining" it and pumping up Rej or Butler if he thought they were Myers' partner of the future.
The fact that he said "developing" has me thinking it's going to be within the system. By not pumping up Rej or Butler I think he's saying that they aren't the ones that are going to be developed into the shutdown pairing.

Like Chain said, cryptic Lindy is being cryptic. It really could go either way.

Ghills23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 05:50 PM
  #56
gallagt01
Registered User
 
gallagt01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Sloan
Posts: 8,261
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghills23 View Post
The fact that he said "developing" has me thinking it's going to be within the system. By not pumping up Rej or Butler I think he's saying that they aren't the ones that are going to be developed into the shutdown pairing.

Like Chain said, cryptic Lindy is being cryptic. It really could go either way.
That's how I interpreted it as well. Pegula era or not I feel that Regier will continue to build from within, especially on the backend. Buffalo's drafted so well defensively the last few years, I doubt they'll want to see those picks go to waste.

gallagt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 06:19 PM
  #57
Better Call Saul
Registered User
 
Better Call Saul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 5,147
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalowing88 View Post
Oh man...I woke up this morning hoping I didn't actually create that post. Dollar beer night got the best of Buffalowing88 last night haha. I am, however, impressed with my impeccable grammar after the number of drafts I ingested last night.

/Now crawling back into my hangover cave...


In that case, my apologies.

Better Call Saul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 06:40 PM
  #58
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 5,241
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by siKmoNStir View Post
Sekera is the one defensman besides Myers that I don't want to trade. I could see him being a monster next year. Butler is the one I would like to move, even if it costs us more in picks/prospects.

Sekera may never embrace the North American style of play but he does have 40 point potential, maybe even more if he dramatically gains more confidence.

I like Butler but he really let me down in the playoffs. The Flyers owned him and he just did nothing to correct his game. Bottom pairing, 7th defense man. But with the emergence of Weber and Gragnani I guess you gotta trade Butler.

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 06:44 PM
  #59
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S
 
Rob Paxon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: corfu, ny
Country: United States
Posts: 14,247
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghills23 View Post
The fact that he said "developing" has me thinking it's going to be within the system. By not pumping up Rej or Butler I think he's saying that they aren't the ones that are going to be developed into the shutdown pairing.

Like Chain said, cryptic Lindy is being cryptic. It really could go either way.
I feel like what he said was the standard sports non-answer. He basically said Sekera or Butler "could" be those guys but that they struggled with inconsistencies. That's him telling the world "they could be the rock for this franchise if they put in the work and kept their mental approach at an even keel", while in no way committing to either as the solution.

Basically he said the obvious: they need a lockdown pair, Myers is likely half of that, Sekera/Butler MAY end up being that guy or that guy may be further down in the system or would have to be brought in, while also giving a bit of motivation to Sekera and Butler.

Rob Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 06:48 PM
  #60
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S
 
Rob Paxon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: corfu, ny
Country: United States
Posts: 14,247
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Looooooodman View Post
That's how I interpreted it as well. Pegula era or not I feel that Regier will continue to build from within, especially on the backend. Buffalo's drafted so well defensively the last few years, I doubt they'll want to see those picks go to waste.
Odds are they can find the solution long-term in house. However, they're going to need a quality older defenseman to plug in during the meantime. I wouldn't knock the build within scenario here, considering the # of D prospects who look like they can be NHL gamers.

Of course, we'd prefer they get a guy now who can be a lockdown guy for the next 5+ years but if the perfect deal isn't there then much can be said about finding a solid #3 vet and seeing how things develop internally.

Rob Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 07:33 PM
  #61
LabattBlue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 374
vCash: 500
I'm in the minority, but Myers is a ways off from being part of a lock down pair. He still gives away the puck too much in his own zone and his decision making in his own zone is average on his best nights.

In a few years maybe he will be ready. Next year? I doubt it.

LabattBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 07:54 PM
  #62
Blitz
With the #2 pick...
 
Blitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Constant Mediocrity
Country: Latvia
Posts: 1,069
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LabattBlue View Post
I'm in the minority, but Myers is a ways off from being part of a lock down pair. He still gives away the puck too much in his own zone and his decision making in his own zone is average on his best nights.

In a few years maybe he will be ready. Next year? I doubt it.
Myers' presence alone on the ice makes forwards play differently. Yes, he makes some gaffes here and there, but all young players do. The fact that he takes up so much ice & can strip a talented forward with one hand on that redwood tree of a stick he uses and go all the way back down the ice as fast as he does make him an ideal guy for the shut down role.. It makes attackers hesitate.

He needs to work on the small defensive mistakes in camp & maybe get a little meaner. His partner on the other hand needs to be a "camp in front of the net" veteran with some hockey sense & grit. A guy like Brad Stuart would be a great fit to play with Myers IMO. Not to mention he would get to play with brother Colin...

Blitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 08:10 PM
  #63
joshjull
Moderator
 
joshjull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Hamburg,NY
Country: United States
Posts: 31,418
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LabattBlue View Post
I'm in the minority, but Myers is a ways off from being part of a lock down pair. He still gives away the puck too much in his own zone and his decision making in his own zone is average on his best nights.

In a few years maybe he will be ready. Next year? I doubt it.
Its a process and a 2-3 year plan. He doesn't have to be that guy right away next year. He just has to start down that path and have the right partner next year.


Last edited by joshjull: 05-05-2011 at 08:26 PM.
joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 08:25 PM
  #64
dire wolf
be cool
 
dire wolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Cali
Country: United States
Posts: 3,962
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Its a process and a 2-3 year plan. e doesn't have to be that guy right away next year. He just has to start down that path and have the right partner next year.
I agree -- which is exactly why it would be nice to bring in a legit, minute-eating shut-down vet if we want to get past the 1st round next year. Doesn't have to be a #1 guy, but someone solid and reliable. You know, a guy like Toni Lydman.

If our prospects/young'uns stay on trajectory and aren't all traded away, our D should be really solid in about 2-3 years. I'm excited about McNabb & Pysyk (and to a slightly lesser extent, Brennan and Schiestel).

dire wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 08:39 PM
  #65
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 5,241
vCash: 500
I think it's time to move on, they have enough non-physical forwards on the team. They need more muscle and toughness up front. He's an underachiever offensively, over-hyped defensively, and tragically he has concussion issues. The NHL is a cruel and unforgiving world. Please move on.

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 08:50 PM
  #66
jlr
\m/o.o\m/
 
jlr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 11,095
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LabattBlue View Post
I'm in the minority, but Myers is a ways off from being part of a lock down pair. He still gives away the puck too much in his own zone and his decision making in his own zone is average on his best nights.

In a few years maybe he will be ready. Next year? I doubt it.
He was pretty close to being there as a rookie last year with Tallinder of all people as his partner, so I don't think it's too much of a stretch to think that with a solid, defensive defenseman as a partner, he could play that role next year.

The fire he played with in the playoffs makes me think he's going to come out next year with a few more pounds on his frame, and look to impose his will on opposing forwards. Get him a good partner, and I think they'll eat up 25+ minutes every night.

jlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 08:52 PM
  #67
jlr
\m/o.o\m/
 
jlr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 11,095
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Play4Miracles View Post
I think it's time to move on, they have enough non-physical forwards on the team. They need more muscle and toughness up front. He's an underachiever offensively, over-hyped defensively, and tragically he has concussion issues. The NHL is a cruel and unforgiving world. Please move on.
Had me worried that I posted in the wrong thread for a second, but nope. That was you.

jlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 09:50 PM
  #68
gallagt01
Registered User
 
gallagt01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Sloan
Posts: 8,261
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
Odds are they can find the solution long-term in house. However, they're going to need a quality older defenseman to plug in during the meantime. I wouldn't knock the build within scenario here, considering the # of D prospects who look like they can be NHL gamers.

Of course, we'd prefer they get a guy now who can be a lockdown guy for the next 5+ years but if the perfect deal isn't there then much can be said about finding a solid #3 vet and seeing how things develop internally.
This is true. For some reason, I feel as though they think Butler/Rej are those transition guys until someone like McNabb or Pysyk is ready to go. I have a feeling they'll let Montador walk, bring in a top 4 dman in FA, and continue to develop from within.

gallagt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 10:24 PM
  #69
Zip15
Registered User
 
Zip15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 16,615
vCash: 50
Just did some reading over on the Wings board and it seemed like a surprising number of Wings fans would consider moving Kronwall to get younger and better on the wing. Not sure how much of that is the product of a rational analysis of team weaknesses, or a knee-jerk response to the way their current series is going (or both). They've also expressed a desire to get younger and better on the blueline, though some of that will come from Smith and Kindl being full-timers next year. I posted a "Value of Kronwall" thread on the Trade board.

He's owed $3.75m ($3.0 cap hit) next year, which is the last year of his contract. Kronwall just turned 30, so he's not terribly old. He'd certainly be the minute-munching, top-pairing defender we could pair with Myers.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 11:26 PM
  #70
jBuds
pretty damn valuable
 
jBuds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NYC Suburbs
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 26,456
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Just did some reading over on the Wings board and it seemed like a surprising number of Wings fans would consider moving Kronwall to get younger and better on the wing. Not sure how much of that is the product of a rational analysis of team weaknesses, or a knee-jerk response to the way their current series is going (or both). They've also expressed a desire to get younger and better on the blueline, though some of that will come from Smith and Kindl being full-timers next year. I posted a "Value of Kronwall" thread on the Trade board.

He's owed $3.75m ($3.0 cap hit) next year, which is the last year of his contract. Kronwall just turned 30, so he's not terribly old. He'd certainly be the minute-munching, top-pairing defender we could pair with Myers.
I wouldn't know where to start with a package for him, but I'd LOVE to bring that man in. He would be a very ideal fit for Myers for a litany of reasons.

My initial, knee-jerk reaction was Pominville straight up. Yikes

Could we sign Stafford and package him for a prospect? Enough to get it done?

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 01:53 AM
  #71
sabresfan123*
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 609
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
I wouldn't know where to start with a package for him, but I'd LOVE to bring that man in. He would be a very ideal fit for Myers for a litany of reasons.

My initial, knee-jerk reaction was Pominville straight up. Yikes

Could we sign Stafford and package him for a prospect? Enough to get it done?
why do that when we can sign one? Markov....the only risk is his injury history

sabresfan123* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 02:14 AM
  #72
Better Call Saul
Registered User
 
Better Call Saul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 5,147
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddkaz View Post
why do that when we can sign one? Markov....the only risk is his injury history
And it's an enormous risk. Markov has missed 130 games the past two years (including playoffs), and has had a pair of major knee injuries that entailed twice rebuilding his right ACL during that span. Given that fact, even if Markov hits free agency, he certainly can't be counted on as the minute-eating, shutdown defender the Sabres need.

Better Call Saul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 04:59 AM
  #73
fightclubber25
Registered User
 
fightclubber25's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 932
vCash: 500
butler is not the answer.

i see a lot of people slotting him in as a potential #1 pair guy .. if were winning a cup chris butler is not on our #1 pair i can guarantee that with the use of my crystal ball. him, montador and morissonn are the epitome of what this team does not need. ok transitionally, **** awareness and an inability to be consistent in any area of the game aside from standing around watching guys score on their goalie.

i hope they have bigger plans in mind for this D.


Last edited by fightclubber25: 05-06-2011 at 05:05 AM.
fightclubber25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 09:10 AM
  #74
1point21Gigawatts
hell's a gigawatt?
 
1point21Gigawatts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: The future
Country: United States
Posts: 1,106
vCash: 500
Montador will probably not be resigned, despite his statements and pleas to finish his career as a sabres. The big question is what to do with Shame. Sorry if anyone has already covered this, but do we buy him out, send him down to Portland, or keep him in the 7th spot?

1point21Gigawatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 09:13 AM
  #75
joshjull
Moderator
 
joshjull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Hamburg,NY
Country: United States
Posts: 31,418
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by proyce241 View Post
Montador will probably not be resigned, despite his statements and pleas to finish his career as a sabres. The big question is what to do with Shame. Sorry if anyone has already covered this, but do we buy him out, send him down to Portland, or keep him in the 7th spot?
I would imagine he stays as a 6/7.

joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:39 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.