HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The GM debate

Old
05-14-2011, 11:23 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
really? viscious criticism is part of the internet culture no matter what the subject. its a major factor in why the most brutal comments about any caps player, coach, management/ownership comes from people that only post after a loss and only post negative.

its how they are entertained. they will be here to rip who they enjoy ripping until which time that those players or coaches or management are moved on and they can dance on their grave for a period of time.

after the caps win games and playoff series, it gets pretty quiet. since this season ended ugly, we are going to see this for 12 months minimum.
I get what you're saying overall and agree about the Internet culture of criticism, but this talk about no criticism after a win is silly. The truth is, USUALLY when they win, there's little to criticize because they executed. You guys need to let that silly argument go.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2011, 11:32 PM
DCRedhawk21

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2012 View Post
Maybe it is absurd, but he's clearly a coach that can coach a team to wins. That cannot be denied.....like I said....look at Arbor and Bowman. I'm sure there were people just as critical of those two before their teams won.

If we expect players to mature and grow as professionals, why not a coach?

This criticism was leveled at Yzerman (and maybe Arbor I don't really remember) but not really at Bowman. He didn't join Detroit until '93 and in his second season they made the SCF (losing though) and it only took them until '97 to win the cup. Also, he had won Cups before his time with Detroit.

I would like nothing more than for Boudreau to bring DC a SC because of how he turned things around after taking over. Sometimes, however, a situation just isn't working and changes need to be made. Does that mean Boudreau needs to go? I don't know and I'm glad I'm not making that decision. But what's really concerning is the fact that the team hasn't really made any progress towards making a deep playoff run after four years...

DCRedhawk21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2011, 11:32 PM
Capitlols

Quote:
Maybe it is absurd, but he's clearly a coach that can coach a team to wins. That cannot be denied.....like I said....look at Arbor and Bowman. I'm sure there were people just as critical of those two before their teams won.

If we expect players to mature and grow as professionals, why not a coach?
Said it before, its post hoc to say something like this.

I'd like to say he can mature but really the primary reason the Caps fizzled last year was likewise for this year. The power play. Even worse was the poor line changes and seemingly how unprepared the players looked.

I'm on the boat of a new coach, but if not, make significant personnel changes and not just internal one.

Capitlols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2011, 12:00 AM
Dirtbag59

If the Caps are to have any chance to win the cup with BB the following has to happen.

1. Carlson has to be a Norris Trophy Finalist next year. Does have to win it but still needs to bring his game to a level where he's a finalist.
2. Backstrom needs to regain his 100 point form
3. Ovechkin needs to be Ovechkin again. 50+ goals
4. The team needs either Nuevy, Varly, or Holtby to become an all star caliber goalie.
5. Johanson needs to lock down the second center spot and have a 50+ point year. He also needs to learn how to win >50% on faceoffs.
6. Knubble has to continue to find the fountain of youth.
7. Semin needs to continue his two way play.
8. Green needs to continue to improve his defensive game, that or the Caps need to get someone in exchange for Green that can really improve the blue line.
9. Young guys need to grow up quick in their first year. Most notably Orlov and Eakin.
10. Powerplay needs to return to 25%.

If all that happens then maybe the team can overcome BB's postseason coaching problems and make next year more then an early playoff exit.

Last edited by Dirtbag59: 05-15-2011 at 12:12 AM.
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2011, 01:10 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
I get what you're saying overall and agree about the Internet culture of criticism, but this talk about no criticism after a win is silly. The truth is, USUALLY when they win, there's little to criticize because they executed. You guys need to let that silly argument go.
And no one wanted to have a true conversation about their inadequacies for two years. I'll I ever got back was 2 pts or 22% PP.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2011, 02:17 AM
Mr Gone
Green = Man of Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag59 View Post
If the Caps are to have any chance to win the cup with BB the following has to happen.

1. Carlson has to be a Norris Trophy Finalist next year. Does have to win it but still needs to bring his game to a level where he's a finalist.
4. The team needs either Nuevy, Varly, or Holtby to become an all star caliber goalie.
5. Johanson needs to lock down the second center spot and have a 50+ point year. He also needs to learn how to win >50% on faceoffs.
8. Green needs to continue to improve his defensive game, that or the Caps need to get someone in exchange for Green that can really improve the blue line.
9. Young guys need to grow up quick in their first year. Most notably Orlov and Eakin.

If all that happens then maybe the team can overcome BB's postseason coaching problems and make next year more then an early playoff exit.
The last thing we need is to go back to wining on talent. At our best we won with more talent. And individual effort. In spite of the poorly coached undisciplined style of hockey

Mr Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2011, 02:20 AM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gone View Post
The last thing we need is to go back to wining on talent. At our best we won with more talent. And individual effort. In spite of the poorly coached undisciplined style of hockey
You can't have taken that list seriously.

Carlson will never be a norris trophy finalist, there's a snowball's chance in hell Mojo wins over 50% of his draws next year, and I doubt either Orlov or Eakin make the team out of camp next year. Almost positively not Orlov.

05-15-2011, 02:28 AM
Mr Gone
Green = Man of Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwarden View Post

Carlson will never be a norris trophy finalist, there's a snowball's chance in hell Mojo wins over 50% of his draws next year, and I doubt either Orlov or Eakin make the team out of camp next year. Almost positively not Orlov.
For me it was more about pointing out the truth of BB smoke and mirror coaching success. He was in the right place at the write time. We had a tone of talent. All he did is let them go.

Mr Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2011, 03:03 AM
Dirtbag59

Quote:

http://www.theeagleonline.com/sports...-be-top-d-man/
Quote:
The game showed Washington had a defenseman who could potentially be better than Mike Green. Green is one of the best in the league but Carlson has the whole package. He has a heavy shot from the point, can make plays, sees the whole ice and can play solid defense.
All I'm saying is if Carlson has a higher ceiling then Green, and if Green can make it as a Norris Trophy finalist then it shouldn't be out of reach for Carlson at some point in his career. However that list is a list of the type of things that need to happen to overcome BB's coaching in the postseason. Not necessarily what I would expect to happen.

Don't know about Orlov but he has impressed so far and I'm pretty sure people would have called me crazy if I said this time last year that MaJo would have made the final roster. Eakin I also heard was a tough cut during summer last year. At the same time I will concede that it's difficult to make Orlov a regular next year without injuries as next year you're looking at a Carlson line, Green line, and Wideman line and aside from being a right handed shot himself, Orlov doesn't really compliment any of those players. Still he should be ready to play as the chances of all three of those righties staying healthy isn't favored by history.

Anyway simpler version of the list might be this. If the Caps expect to be a cup contender next year they need to finish top 5 in goals per game, goals against, powerplay, and penalty kill. You look at the Canucks and they finished 1st, 1st, 1st, and 3rd in all four categories respectably and in spite of their playoff history the fact remains that they're still in it and they're still the favorites to win the cup.

Last edited by Dirtbag59: 05-15-2011 at 03:32 AM.
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2011, 08:18 AM
fsnoles98

Quote:

Semin needs to continue his two way play. What when he wants too?? They guy is the most inconsistent potential star in the NHL.
Green needs to continue to improve his defensive game. I like Greeny alot, but when did he start working on his defensive game?

I think for the most part the talent is there, the biggest hump to get over is getting the players to understand that come play off time "they need to sellout", "they can have no passengers on the bus". Once every single player on the team sells their soul for the team and plays balls out hockey each minute of every shift will this team win.

fsnoles98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2011, 09:30 AM
txpd

Quote:

1. and 8. The Caps have two Norris Trophy candidate defensemen
2. Backstrom is an allstar
3. Ovechkin returns to Hart Trophy levels
4. The Caps have an allstar level/Vezine candidate goalie.

what? no calder candidate?

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2011, 11:00 AM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Send a message via MSN to WetHog
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsnoles98 View Post
Semin needs to continue his two way play. What when he wants too?? They guy is the most inconsistent potential star in the NHL.
Green needs to continue to improve his defensive game. I like Greeny alot, but when did he start working on his defensive game?
Is there a vet Russian player out there the Caps can add as a FA that can act as a mentor/motivator for Sasha? He seemed to respond initially when Arnott was added, but that wasn't sustained. Or how about adding a Russian ex-player as a coach? Just seems like the only way to get all there is out of Sasha on a consistent basis.

WetHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2011, 11:43 AM
fsnoles98

Quote:
Originally Posted by WetHog View Post
Is there a vet Russian player out there the Caps can add as a FA that can act as a mentor/motivator for Sasha? He seemed to respond initially when Arnott was added, but that wasn't sustained. Or how about adding a Russian ex-player as a coach? Just seems like the only way to get all there is out of Sasha on a consistent basis.

Not sure there is such a person, but I do agree when Arnott first arrived I thought we had found the guy to cure Sasha, but I guess not.

fsnoles98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2011, 01:40 PM
Capitlols

Quote:
Originally Posted by WetHog View Post
A player as high maintenance as Semin isn't worth keeping.

Capitlols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2011, 03:46 PM
Devil Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appreci8 View Post
What do you really know about what kind of "maintenance" Semin requires? As far as I can tell, no one even talked to him other than Ovechkin until Arnott showed up.

Inconsistent? Yes. High maintenance? Not exactly.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2011, 04:22 PM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appreci8 View Post
Well he has 1 year left so he's on the team until he's not. While he is on the team what are the best ways to motivate him? Sure he is best buds with OV, but its clear OV doesn't have what it takes to motivate him. Arnott seemed to light a fire under his ass, but then Arnott got hurt and that early chemistry was lost heading into the playoffs. And only signing him to 1 year extensions doesn't seem to motivate him to be more consistent and earn a multi-year deal. So whats left? The guy has skills, and its in the Caps interest to hang on to him and find a way to motivate him to be more consistent, but how to do that?

Re-siging Arnott is one possibility, but how much gas does Arnott have left in the tank? And regardless of how much gas Arnott has left, is he really a 2nd line center at this stage of his career? No and no, IMO. So re-signing Arnott wouuld probably do nothing in regards to Shasha.

So that leaves signing a veteran, Russian, line mate, or hiring an ex-Russian player as an assistant coach. That appears to be easier said than done unfortunately.

Old
05-15-2011, 04:29 PM
bonzaibondra12

Veteran, Russian? Isn't Sergei Fedorov a FA?

bonzaibondra12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2011, 04:35 PM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonzaibondra12 View Post
Veteran, Russian? Isn't Sergei Fedorov a FA?
He signed a two yeah KHL deal that ran out this past season so maybe. If not to play, then why not give him a job in the organization as a mentor to our young Russians? He seems like the only guy short of Ilya Kovlachuck who could fill that roll.

Old
05-15-2011, 04:56 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Pat Quinn was hired for one year. Simple. You're theory that he was hired to win the Cup that year is moronic.

And Yzerman is overrated. Tampa's gotten to where they are on the backs of Stamkos, Lecavalier and St. Louis, which he had nothing to do with. But that's a discussion for another thread.
Come on dude....no need to throw childish insults.

IMO, when you're a GM hiring a coach, you hire him with the expectation to win. You don't hire a coach expecting that they won't. Now certainly depending on the team you temper that with a dose of reality, but you sure as hell hire a coach hoping they can craft your roster into a winner on the ice.

Last edited by CapitalsCupFantasy: 05-15-2011 at 05:02 PM.
Old
05-15-2011, 04:58 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

Really? Can you pick me some lotto #s as well, because it sure as hell looks like Carlson has all the tools you would hope for in a #1 defender in the NHL. He's got the tools to be a Finalist IMO, but he may not have the flash to get recognized.

Old
05-15-2011, 05:01 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsnoles98 View Post
Not sure there is such a person, but I do agree when Arnott first arrived I thought we had found the guy to cure Sasha, but I guess not.
There's one guy who can cure Semin.....himself.

Old
05-15-2011, 05:24 PM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

Quote:
Really? Can you pick me some lotto #s as well, because it sure as hell looks like Carlson has all the tools you would hope for in a #1 defender in the NHL. He's got the tools to be a Finalist IMO, but he may not have the flash to get recognized.
I can tell you which lotto numbers won't win.

mrwarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2011, 05:32 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

If the Caps get their heads out of their ***** and stick Carlson on the right point of the PP full time, he could score 15-20. If he cracks 20 while playing solid defense he might be in the conversation, but it's going to be tough to establish himself as top 3 so long as Pronger, Chara, Weber, Keith (he'll bounce back), Boyle, Doughty, Streit etc. are around.

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2011, 05:45 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I can tell you which lotto numbers won't win.
OK....I can work backwards if you can really deliver!

Old
05-15-2011, 05:49 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
If the Caps get their heads out of their ***** and stick Carlson on the right point of the PP full time, he could score 15-20. If he cracks 20 while playing solid defense he might be in the conversation, but it's going to be tough to establish himself as top 3 so long as Pronger, Chara, Weber, Keith (he'll bounce back), Boyle, Doughty, Streit etc. are around.
I mean...the PP with Carlson in Green's place looked night and day different. I don't know how what you do with Green other than 2nd unit time if Ovy holds onto the other PP point. Conceivably you could have Green on the right and Carlson the left if you can find a better spot for Ovy. I just feel like Green's lot some agressiveness on his PP shot. He overpasses so much. He needs to be hammered by the coaching staff to let the shot go more. I would be tempted to slot Carlson in Green's normal spot, then move Green over to Ovy's spot and tell him to let the one timers fly.

And I agree on the 20g remark...he lacks the flash to get him noticed league-wide right now....that would do it.