HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The GM debate

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-15-2011, 04:59 PM
  #351
mrwarden
Nothing Witty
 
mrwarden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Austin, TX
Country: United States
Posts: 9,185
vCash: 500
The pp was trash with either of them. Carlson is CalleJo not Rob Blake.

mrwarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2011, 05:00 PM
  #352
DCRedhawk21
Registered User
 
DCRedhawk21's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 884
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2012 View Post
I mean...the PP with Carlson in Green's place looked night and day different. I don't know how what you do with Green other than 2nd unit time if Ovy holds onto the other PP point. Conceivably you could have Green on the right and Carlson the left if you can find a better spot for Ovy. I just feel like Green's lot some agressiveness on his PP shot. He overpasses so much. He needs to be hammered by the coaching staff to let the shot go more. I would be tempted to slot Carlson in Green's normal spot, then move Green over to Ovy's spot and tell him to let the one timers fly.

And I agree on the 20g remark...he lacks the flash to get him noticed league-wide right now....that would do it.

Does anyone think that Ovi will still be on the point on the PP next year.... If Green and Wideman are both healthy, I think they will rotate with Carlson.. But what we really need is a lefty shot from the point....

DCRedhawk21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2011, 05:01 PM
  #353
Capitlols
Historic Chokers
 
Capitlols's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 12,390
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dancer View Post
What do you really know about what kind of "maintenance" Semin requires? As far as I can tell, no one even talked to him other than Ovechkin until Arnott showed up.

Inconsistent? Yes. High maintenance? Not exactly.
He's a professional athlete, he needs to be continually chastised by his teammates to do the right things? If you want to chalk up his inconsistencies due to a lack of coaching, I'm inclined to believe it. But who's to say they haven't been continually preaching to him what to do.

The very idea of bringing in players/coaches/others to set Semin straight equates to him being high maintenance. I really wonder what motivates Semin, honestly don't even know if he really wants a cup.

Capitlols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2011, 05:06 PM
  #354
mrwarden
Nothing Witty
 
mrwarden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Austin, TX
Country: United States
Posts: 9,185
vCash: 500
How the hell is Semin's compete level the only one being questioned? Hes shown at least as much desire as most on this team. Bring in another mentor for Circles Jr and potential Circles the Third while youre at it.

mrwarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2011, 05:18 PM
  #355
Capitlols
Historic Chokers
 
Capitlols's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 12,390
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwarden View Post
How the hell is Semin's compete level the only one being questioned? Hes shown at least as much desire as most on this team. Bring in another mentor for Circles Jr and potential Circles the Third while youre at it.
Because this has been occurrence for his entire tenure in D.C.?

Doubt anyone denies guys like Backstrom and Ovechkin looked lethargic as well this past year. I'd chalk it up as an anomaly. It could be case where BB has worn off on the team and a change would be beneficial. That doesn't seem to be happening though.

Capitlols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2011, 05:38 PM
  #356
txpd
Registered User
 
txpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 43,920
vCash: 500
effectively semin is a lost cause. get rid of him. if backstrom has another bad season and disappears in the playoffs, its boudreau's fault.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2011, 06:31 PM
  #357
WetHog
Out to Lunch
 
WetHog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Country: Poland
Posts: 11,905
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WetHog
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
effectively semin is a lost cause. get rid of him. if backstrom has another bad season and disappears in the playoffs, its boudreau's fault.
Trading Sasha might be the only alternative moving forward for the Caps. Trade him for a collection of complimentary players to fill out the lower lines. Let him be someone elses frustration. In regards to Nicky, I feel confident the kid is gonna turn things around next season. He looked embarrassed and pissed off after the TB series to the point where he is gonna do what is necessary to turn things around for himself. I would be surprised if he doesn't.

WetHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2011, 06:36 PM
  #358
txpd
Registered User
 
txpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 43,920
vCash: 500
i expect backstrom to return to form next season or get labeled as a player that lost his drive with the big contract. i was responding to the notion that if backstrom doesnt bounce back that its boudreau's fault.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2011, 06:38 PM
  #359
Dirtbag59
Registered User
 
Dirtbag59's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,867
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
i expect backstrom to return to form next season or get labeled as a player that lost his drive with the big contract. i was responding to the notion that if backstrom doesnt bounce back that its boudreau's fault.
I forget which game it was exactly but I remember seeing him driving hard to the net, handling the puck well, and in general looking like he was on the top of his game. Of course he came away with no points and continued to look gun shy in the games that followed. It's funny, it feels like forever since I felt like Backstrom was better then Malkin.


Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2011, 06:43 PM
  #360
WetHog
Out to Lunch
 
WetHog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Country: Poland
Posts: 11,905
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WetHog
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
i expect backstrom to return to form next season or get labeled as a player that lost his drive with the big contract. i was responding to the notion that if backstrom doesnt bounce back that its boudreau's fault.
I understand, and I agree with your POV. I see Nicky as a professional athelete that actually gives a **** and will do all in his powers to bounce back next year. Having said that though, seeing is believing.

WetHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2011, 07:48 PM
  #361
TRASHCAT
Registered User
 
TRASHCAT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Boulder, CO
Posts: 4,495
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
effectively semin is a lost cause. get rid of him. if backstrom has another bad season and disappears in the playoffs, its boudreau's fault.
that all you have now? replying to everything by exaggerating others points doing so with heavy sardonicism (an actual word hf boards spell checker). Since having a player half ass it does lay somewhat on the coach by posting outrageous exaggerations on the negative side you seem to seek comfort by disagreement in a sort of pity party.

If it cheers you up backstroms lackluster play if it can be blamed for him half assing it (it can) is a reflection of a lack of accountability from not only bruce, but his boss and his bosses boss aswell.

TRASHCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2011, 08:03 PM
  #362
txpd
Registered User
 
txpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 43,920
vCash: 500
actually, there's little sarcasm in what i am saying. has it not been posted on this board recently that leonsis is a loser and a bad owner. that mcphee is a weak gm. that boudreau is a clown. that semin is a lost cause and needs to be removed at almost any return. and that the franchise is a loser.

where am i wrong? the team has been roundly and consistantly and daily trashed from top to bottom. what am i leaving out? sometimes this trashing of the team gains a little too much momentum and goes off the rails or over the top. am i wrong?

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2011, 08:13 PM
  #363
RandyHolt
Keep Truckin
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: Poland
Posts: 26,371
vCash: 2743
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwarden View Post
The pp was trash with either of them. Carlson is CalleJo not Rob Blake.


I would say its a bit early to say but I am hoping for Blake. But Calle was a defensive Dman. He even said it himself, that he was a DDman by trade, but that many people thought he was offensive simply because he was from Sweden.

I more think of Alzner when I think of Calle Yo. Dont obsess with Calle's goals. Its a different era, goals came in droves for our Dmen back in the day.

Its so much what a coach asks a guy to do though. Bruce had Carlson learning defense this year. Green too. Too bad he started 4 years too late with Green though. It appears he is not going to make the same mistake with Carlson that he made with Green and never make him learn to play defense.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 12:32 AM
  #364
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
CapitalsCupFantasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 29,424
vCash: 500
I thought there was a tinge of sarcasm with the Bruce comment at the end. Anyway...I hope and almost expect Backstrom to come back in great shape next season and play at an allstar level again.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 12:42 AM
  #365
HSHS
Losing is a disease
 
HSHS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Redondo Beach, Ca
Country: United States
Posts: 17,646
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwarden View Post
The pp was trash with either of them. Carlson is CalleJo not Rob Blake.
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
i expect backstrom to return to form next season or get labeled as a player that lost his drive with the big contract. i was responding to the notion that if backstrom doesnt bounce back that its boudreau's fault.
I'm going to say yes. Or it could be no. Either way.


Way to take a huge leap there!

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 08:06 AM
  #366
travr1131
Registered User
 
travr1131's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: NoVa
Country: United States
Posts: 45
vCash: 500
Results.. Past 11 Years, Where are They?

Southeast Division comparison:


Carolina Hurricanes:

Stanley Cup 2005-2006
Two Conference Championships 2001-2002, 2005-2006
Two Division Championships 2001-2002, 2005-2006

Tampa Bay Lightning:

Stanley Cup 2003-2004
Conference Championship 2002-2003
Two Division Championships 2002-2003, 2003-2004
Currently in Conference Final vs. Boston TBD

Washington Capitals
Five Division Championships 2001-2001, 2007-2008, 2008-2009, 2009-2010, 2010-2011
President's Trophy 2009-2010

See the difference? How many shots do GMGM and Boudreau get/need to even make it to the Conference Finals? Everyone talks about how great of a talent evaluator GMGM is, but where are the results?

This year, we were the better rested team after a 5 game series with NY and then get swept by the Lightning who had just played a tough 7 game series against Pittsburgh. SWEPT!

Look at what the Lightning and Hurricanes have accomplished in the same amount of time! If I were Ted, I'd be pissed beyond measure. For Pete's sake, we have Alexander Ovechkin and this is the best we can do?


Last edited by travr1131: 05-16-2011 at 08:23 AM. Reason: added Conf Champ for Tampa
travr1131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 08:26 AM
  #367
RandyHolt
Keep Truckin
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: Poland
Posts: 26,371
vCash: 2743
Where are they, playing golf naturally.

America's Team cannot be built overnight. We set lofty goals trying to pull that one off. And everyone gets to keep their jobs.

It seems Ted's main goal is to ice a team that fills the regular season seats year after year, bottom line. Pun intended. He would rather have 40 sellouts a year than land a cup in a one and done and then have Verizon be a ghost town for a few years, with George looting prospects and picks to land all the pieces needed to steal a cup.

We do not deviate from the plan. And if Yzerman deviates it for us?

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 09:07 AM
  #368
txpd
Registered User
 
txpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 43,920
vCash: 500
yipee kayee

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 09:26 AM
  #369
RandyHolt
Keep Truckin
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: Poland
Posts: 26,371
vCash: 2743
Oh i hope that's not a hostage.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 11:03 AM
  #370
dpj0122
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 363
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by travr1131 View Post
Southeast Division comparison:


Carolina Hurricanes:

Stanley Cup 2005-2006
Two Conference Championships 2001-2002, 2005-2006
Two Division Championships 2001-2002, 2005-2006

Tampa Bay Lightning:

Stanley Cup 2003-2004
Conference Championship 2002-2003
Two Division Championships 2002-2003, 2003-2004
Currently in Conference Final vs. Boston TBD

Washington Capitals
Five Division Championships 2001-2001, 2007-2008, 2008-2009, 2009-2010, 2010-2011
President's Trophy 2009-2010

See the difference? How many shots do GMGM and Boudreau get/need to even make it to the Conference Finals? Everyone talks about how great of a talent evaluator GMGM is, but where are the results?

This year, we were the better rested team after a 5 game series with NY and then get swept by the Lightning who had just played a tough 7 game series against Pittsburgh. SWEPT!

Look at what the Lightning and Hurricanes have accomplished in the same amount of time! If I were Ted, I'd be pissed beyond measure. For Pete's sake, we have Alexander Ovechkin and this is the best we can do?
Leonsis isn't pissed because he wants a "generationally competitive" team and he has it. Every year for the foreseeable future, the Caps ought to be in the playoffs. Problem is that Leonsis has never said that championships are his priority. Now, he and McPhee have both said they think that if they get into the playoffs every year, sooner or later things will break their way and they could win a Cup. But they never, ever talk of making a championship the priority.

dpj0122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 11:06 AM
  #371
Capsman
Registered User
 
Capsman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 4,046
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
actually, there's little sarcasm in what i am saying. has it not been posted on this board recently that leonsis is a loser and a bad owner. that mcphee is a weak gm. that boudreau is a clown. that semin is a lost cause and needs to be removed at almost any return. and that the franchise is a loser.

where am i wrong? the team has been roundly and consistantly and daily trashed from top to bottom. what am i leaving out? sometimes this trashing of the team gains a little too much momentum and goes off the rails or over the top. am i wrong?
The bolded statement is correct. I have no problem with the owner or GM except that I believe McPhee's friendship with Bruce is getting in the way of sound judgement. You are cleary on board the "players stunk it up" bandwagon with a "we lack sufficient talent " cart being pulled behind. While there is little doubt our stars played far from their best, have you seen post-season success with them having great seasons? When you look at the lack of cohesion, utter confusion on offense, and poor execution does it ever cross your mind that it may be born of inadequate preparation/practices? Or that may be a partial factor? You cannot fire the whole team. You may not get equal returning value trading or stars. But the coaching part of our problem, in my mind, is easily replaceable. Worst case scenario we get someone equal to him. It's kind of like if your car has a problem and the repair guy says "replacing this small part may fix the issue, if not, we will need to take the engine apart. Anyone with half a brain says "let's replace the small part first, see what happens.

Capsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 11:17 AM
  #372
HTFN
Registered User
 
HTFN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 4,140
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsman View Post
The bolded statement is correct. I have no problem with the owner or GM except that I believe McPhee's friendship with Bruce is getting in the way of sound judgement. You are cleary on board the "players stunk it up" bandwagon with a "we lack sufficient talent " cart being pulled behind. While there is little doubt our stars played far from their best, have you seen post-season success with them having great seasons? When you look at the lack of cohesion, utter confusion on offense, and poor execution does it ever cross your mind that it may be born of inadequate preparation/practices? Or that may be a partial factor? You cannot fire the whole team. You may not get equal returning value trading or stars. But the coaching part of our problem, in my mind, is easily replaceable. Worst case scenario we get someone equal to him. It's kind of like if your car has a problem and the repair guy says "replacing this small part may fix the issue, if not, we will need to take the engine apart. Anyone with half a brain says "let's replace the small part first, see what happens.
I like this metaphor.

HTFN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 11:29 AM
  #373
Langway
Flow➜Grow
 
Langway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 22,433
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpj0122 View Post
But they never, ever talk of making a championship the priority.
Sure they do, Leonsis in particular. What we don't hear about all that much is the process of becoming a champion. It's a goal...but seemingly a somewhat distant one because I'm not sure they understand what it takes to get there. There's too much stock put into luck as a deciding factor and that's the mentality of a franchise that's in some disorder mentally. There are plenty of things this franchise can control in terms of the process that they either choose not to or discount the importance of for some puzzling reason.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 11:35 AM
  #374
txpd
Registered User
 
txpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 43,920
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Oh i hope that's not a hostage.
My method for unstressing post playoffs? Making fists with my toes.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 11:44 AM
  #375
txpd
Registered User
 
txpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 43,920
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
Sure they do, Leonsis in particular. What we don't hear about all that much is the process of becoming a champion. It's a goal...but seemingly a somewhat distant one because I'm not sure they understand what it takes to get there..
I think there are so many different avenues that can work that its hard to say whether they have the right idea. Til they score a cup there is no way of knowing for sure if they know how. I think its fair to suggest that some teams win without knowing how they did it and that is seen by their inability to continue to threaten after they won.

I will be interested to see where Chicago goes the next couple of years. What does Carolina know? They either go far in the playoffs or miss them entirely and miss more often than make them.

Why do think about Leonsis is that his business has come as a result of a policy of consistancy. His does not have a rep at any level of leaving a trail of dead, burnt bodies in his path.

It appears to me that Leonsis thinks that he has a better chance of scoring a cup with his current crew than by canning his leadership and turning his roster upsidedown to take on a new direction.

I also know this about him. When he bought the team, he wanted to turn the page. He wanted nothing to do with the Abe Pollin Capitals including their hideous playoff history. Now that history and reputation has been restored in strenth and he has to find a way to work thru it. His team is a choker team just like the great Caps teams of the 80's.

The Caps are the Sharks. What have the Sharks done to get out from under their rep? At somepoint they have replaced their coach and their gm, but have not really changed the overall direction of the their team.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:50 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.