HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The GM debate

Old
05-23-2011, 11:12 AM
txpd

vCash: 500
Varlamov 10-9
Neuvirth 4-5

McPhee's mistake was thinking Kolzig was going to play til he was 40. Varly and Neuvy were taken in the 06 draft.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 11:36 AM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

vCash: 600
those win loss records are very misleading.

Look at the stats. Neither goaltender underperformed at all.

If anything, throw him under the bus for Theo or Cristobal. But the younger players have shown well. Neither has flat out stolen a series, but that doesn't exactly occur with regularity anymore. Halak did it last post season (though he was heavily aided by a team committed to blocking shots).

Goalies aren't everything as Michael Leighton of last year and the shelled but now decent Luongo has shown.

Chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 11:53 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post

There's about 20 people I blame ahead of Neuvirth, but he stopped just 87% of Tampa's shots. That's terrible.

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 12:09 PM
discobob

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
There's about 20 people I blame ahead of Neuvirth, but he stopped just 87% of Tampa's shots. That's terrible.
Wholeheartedly agree! I don't blame Neuvy for the losses, and the save % includes some lucky bounces, however, 87% is not good. The caps outshot the Lightning, but the Lightnings shots were usually better shots. All that aside, 87% just isn't good enough. A good performing goalie needs to be able to keep teams in the game, Neuvy didn't do that against Tampa...

discobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 12:19 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Quote:
If anything, throw him under the bus for Theo or Cristobal. But the younger players have shown well. Neither has flat out stolen a series, but that doesn't exactly occur with regularity anymore. Halak did it last post season (though he was heavily aided by a team committed to blocking shots).
Why would we throw GMGM under the bus for Huet? We wouldn't have even reached the playoffs in 2008 if it weren't for Cristobal's Vezina-caliber play after the TDL. I know he didn't put up those kind of numbers in the Philadelphia series, but we wouldn't have even been there if it wasn't for him.

And I'd say Varlamov came about as close as you can to stealing a series in 2009 against the Rangers. He gave up just 7 goals in 6 games and had two shutouts. While the team in front of him played well, if Varly doesn't play as well as he does we probably don't win that series.

Mystlyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 12:40 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foy View Post
I wouldn't say George was late to the game grooming kids to replace kolzig. I would say he was late to the game at grooming kids to replace Kolzig successfully.

Stana? Ouellette? How many others?
I stand corrected. He did try to find a young G. But I would think almost every GM drafts a goalie every few years, even if they have a horse #1. Just like they draft all the other positions they already have filled. Hindsight 2020, he needed to draft more early and often, since even his picks/pickups dont always pan out.

I am not pissed at all for Neuvy's play, more how his teammates let him down watching him get run, and most for Bruce for not trying the no brainer goalie change in game 4. Sending out Neuvy even though Tampa had his number. I would have done it in game 3. The Ferrari was tuned up in the garage ready to go. The new 4x4 ready to rumble. Yet he worked the reliable Toyota instead.

A goalie that loses will often get defended because they made a bunch of great saves at points in the game. I counter that in my thinking, that is their job. I firmly believe goalie play is the greatest single factor in determining a games outcome. G's must face scrutiny even if he is a quality guy and played well overall.

Last edited by RandyHolt: 05-23-2011 at 02:42 PM.
RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 02:24 PM
Foy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
I stand corrected. He did try to find a young G. But I would think almost every GM drafts a goalie every few years, even if they have a horse #1. Just like they draft all the other positions they already have filled. Hingsight 2020, he needed to draft more early and often, since even his picks/pickups dont always pan out.

I am not pissed at all for Neuvy's play, more how his teammates let him down watching him get run, and most for Bruce for not trying the no brainer goalie change in game 4. Sending out Neuvy even though Tampa had his number. I would have done it in game 3. The Ferrari was tuned up in the garage ready to go. The new 4x4 ready to rumble. Yet he worked the reliable Toyota instead.

A goalie that loses will often get defended because they made a bunch of great saves at points in the game. I counter that in my thinking, that is their job. I firmly believe goalie play is the greatest single factor in determining a games outcome. G's must face scrutiny even if he is a quality guy and played well overall.
I think that right there is the biggest lesson that our management has learned over the years. Draft early and often. Last time we traded away our 1st round pick we got Trevor Linden. That sure didn't work out well in the short term, or middle term. I guess it did in the long term, because I believe Linden lead to Eminger, which lead to Carlson. Either way the team has become big proponents or trying to draft as much as possible in the first round.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 03:11 PM
EroCaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
That's because the other 13% were prime-scoring chances he had little chance to stop.

Shot quality is a thing that seems above the heads of most hockey fans, including those on HF. I give you Semin's shot totals against Montreal as Exhibit B.

EroCaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 03:26 PM
txpd

maybe i am not remembering right, but didnt one critical goal in each of game 1 and game 2 v TB go in bouncing off Caps players from pucks that were not even shots on the net? Its life and all, but that makes a significant different in the kids save%. I probably makes the difference in the w/l columns as well.

Old
05-23-2011, 03:40 PM
Atlas

The Linden pick became Boyd Gordon.

Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 03:52 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Over a large enough sample size I would contend that most goalies face a similar mix of shots. One could argue that the 117 shots he faced isn't a sufficiently large sample, but I might not agree.

Old
05-23-2011, 04:05 PM
dpj0122

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwarden View Post
Dick Patrick, President
Yeah, and that's the wild card. That guy has been around longer than anyone, going way back into Pollin's ownership, and should be tarred with a lot of the franchises' failure. But he keeps a very low profile and no one ever talks about him. He's got an ownership piece in Monumental as well. I suspect Leonsis won't make a hockey move without Patrick's concurrence and it may well be that Patrick is equally as responsible for keeping McPhee here all these years as Leonsis....................... But Patrick just stays out of sight...........

dpj0122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 04:19 PM
Dirtbag59

Quote:

Goalies aren't everything as Michael Leighton of last year and the shelled but now decent Luongo has shown.
I agree with you on the general sentiment but you got to give Halak his due. I mean how committed to shot blocking can a team be if they allow 50+ shots on goal?

Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 05:07 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Double post.

Last edited by BrooklynCapsFan: 05-23-2011 at 05:28 PM.
Old
05-23-2011, 06:00 PM
IafrateOvie34

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
Varlamov 10-9
Neuvirth 4-5

McPhee's mistake was thinking Kolzig was going to play til he was 40. Varly and Neuvy were taken in the 06 draft.
Imagine if we had vintage Olie with the current Caps. I remember I couldn't wait for him to get his chance in D.C. His days with the Skipjacks, then having to watch the goalie rotation. Then Carey came along and I thought, he'll never get a chance. We ended getting one of my all time favorite goalies in Ranford and Olie took over. He'll always be one of my favorite Caps. He would get frustrated and let in a bad goal once in a while, but he wasn't afraid to speak his mind.

Go Caps!

IafrateOvie34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 07:01 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpj0122 View Post
I suspect Leonsis won't make a hockey move without Patrick's concurrence and it may well be that Patrick is equally as responsible for keeping McPhee here all these years as Leonsis....................... But Patrick just stays out of sight...........
I think what is more accurate is that while we want to fry anyone or everyone for the team's lack of a cup, its really hard for us on the outside know who is really in charge of what and what who's marching orders are.

We can't understand why Boudreau is not fired. It could be that if we knew the real inside story, we would know details that would change our minds.

Since we can't know its a lot of wasted energy and anger.

Old
05-25-2011, 05:41 PM
dpj0122

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
I think what is more accurate is that while we want to fry anyone or everyone for the team's lack of a cup, its really hard for us on the outside know who is really in charge of what and what who's marching orders are.

We can't understand why Boudreau is not fired. It could be that if we knew the real inside story, we would know details that would change our minds.

Since we can't know its a lot of wasted energy and anger.
And that is the way Teddy likes it. Lots of spin and diversion.........

dpj0122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2011, 06:00 PM
txpd

thats the way they all like it.

Old
05-25-2011, 07:49 PM
Dirtbag59

Boston needs to win this series. GMGM needs to see how far short this team fell. It was easier to keep BB last year after Montreal beat Pittsburgh, however getting swept by the loosers of the Eastern Conference Finals shouldn't fly.

Funny though how both Montreal and Tampa beat both Pittsburgh and Washington in their first two matchups the last two years.

Old
05-26-2011, 12:04 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

So...if we lose to the eventual Cup Finalist or even Winner....makes the loss what....excusable, explainable, what....?

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 05:24 AM
Dirtbag59

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2012 View Post
So...if we lose to the eventual Cup Finalist or even Winner....makes the loss what....excusable, explainable, what....?
One way or another spin will be spun. Or something like that.

Old
05-26-2011, 05:30 AM
ColincampbellOscopy

Quote:
Every team the Capitals have lost to in the last 4 years, Tampa still pending, has won the next round too, so...if you wanted to justify it that way you could. I don't think it particuarly means anything, but these lower seeded teams the Capitals are losing to have all been at least conference finalists.

ColincampbellOscopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 06:19 AM
txpd

Quote:
it says something. i am not sure what. it certainly suggests that the caps are not losing to vastly inferior teams that any other playoff team would beat, because they dont get beat.

Old
05-26-2011, 07:17 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Considering it was a sweep...there is nothing to discuss.

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2011, 01:35 PM
Atlas

The Caps suck. We/They are an embarrassment under Leonsis, McPhee and Boudreau. It would be incredibly lame to seek solace in what the team that beat you achieved. But lameness is in the air.

The organization is spineless.

Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote