HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The GM debate

Old
05-06-2011, 11:35 AM
Langway
Flow➜Grow

vCash: 50
Boswell nails it.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 11:39 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
I can't think of any reason why that hasn't been done from day one.
-Because he's an idiot...
-Because he was star struck in 1st NHL job an it underminded his authority
-Because he can't communicate his thoughts in a learnable fashion
-Because he doesn't value it
-Because he had no plan
-Because he has pics of GMGM and Ted and doesn't care
-Because he's working on a Micheal Starr commericial in his office instead of planning
-He is doing it and if you were in the game you could tell

Pick one!

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 11:39 AM
usiel

vCash: 878
Send a message via MSN to usiel
Quote:
Some of his points i think are valid but some of it was a bit over the top, lol.

Quote:
In a sense, the Caps are trapped by their own culture of decency, self-regard and optimism. They want to give everybody a second, and sometimes a fourth chance, even the coach.

05-06-2011, 11:41 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwarden View Post
Your rebellion against authority...it's...it's just so hot.

Ayyyyyyyyyyyyyy!

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 11:43 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by usiel View Post
Some of his points i think are valid but some of it was a bit over the top, lol.
It's called lack of accountability.....

When the coaching staff and team management are always making excuses and the players make the same old mistakes after all these years....well, the comment might have been over the top, but I agree on some levels.

We have a culture of excuses and "there's always next year".

Old
05-06-2011, 11:49 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Love this...

In a sense, the Caps are trapped by their own culture of decency, self-regard and optimism. They want to give everybody a second, and sometimes a fourth chance, even the coach. They donít want to act in haste and repent at leisure, even if it means soft players arenít traded and get to repeat their spring failures. They donít want to blow up what theyíve built because they believe in sound foundations. But the Caps also flatter themselves that what they have created is a notch better than it actually is. And the Caps hate, hate, hate to admit any evaluation is wrong, until itís so obvious they canít deny it.

Good intentions, good results, then playoff mortification, year after year, followed by the same mantra: Thereís nothing wrong. We were just unlucky or injured. Next year: our turn. Keep the sellouts coming.

Old
05-06-2011, 11:50 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Awesome...

I felt like many of us wrote that piece.

Old
05-06-2011, 11:51 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Yeah he was wrong. This will be BB's 5th chance!

Old
05-06-2011, 11:52 AM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

How many current NHL coaches have won the Cup?

Lindy Ruff's never won a Cup, yet, he's a good coach. Trotz hasn't won a Cup. Vigneault hasn't either.

You don't have to win a Cup to be a good coach.

That's not the end justification. We might not want to hear it, but there are a ton of good coaches who will never win a Cup.

I don't think there's anything to be read in from what McPhee says.

I do agree that Bruce should go. I also think that McPhee's rolling the dice by keeping him. If he does. But I don't think even if he were to get fired that he's a "bad coach".

Chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 11:53 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

You mean other than he loves to spew excuses?

Old
05-06-2011, 11:55 AM
Capitlols
Historic Chokers

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSHS View Post
Yeah he was wrong. This will be BB's 5th chance!
Well played sir. Its sad but true.

Capitlols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 11:55 AM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

Well, GMGM has to know if he keeps BB and BB fails again, GMGM is done here. So either he doesn't care if he gets fired, or he must really believe in him.

Changing coaches would at least extend his stay until the next coach got fired.

05-06-2011, 12:01 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Well, GMGM has to know if he keeps BB and BB fails again, GMGM is done here. So either he doesn't care if he gets fired, or he must really believe in him.

I said it early on....if I'm Ted "I ask him if he's willing to stake his job on it?" because that's what he should have to do if there's one iota of accountability in the organization...

Old
05-06-2011, 12:04 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

You have to wonder how much the contracts of Semin and Green go into keeping BB. A new coach, a especially a good one that we'd want, would either clean house or be such a polar opposite of BB that these two key players may not be able to handle it.

And if GMGM feels he can't get good value for them, then he may find its better to go into next season with same core and coach for ONE LAST YEAR, let Semin's contract expire, let Green step closer to RFAs, and then consider a new direction.

You all know GMGM doesn't like to lose individual battles. He won't lose on rosters moves even if it advanced the team's ability to compete.

Loved Boswell's GPS analogy. Exactly it. They are in it, too emotionally involved, and can't detach from their POV. They need a Cold Eyes Review, which is what Blogs, Fans, Papers are... Good management teams recognize that outside views will shine lights in areas they don't like to have revealed. Let's see what type of manager Ted is.

Old
05-06-2011, 12:07 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

And that's really what we all have to rememeber....the buck stops at Leonsis.

If he allows this culture to continue, there's no one else to blame but the guy who writes the checks.

I'm schocked that a guy with his business acumen could be so successful with a seemingly endless history allowing employees 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th chances.

Old
05-06-2011, 12:10 PM
TRASHCAT

Quote:

Coulda said that bout last year. He doesnt know that if he keeps bb and he fails again that he will be fired because ted doesnt either know theres a problem or doesnt give a damn. Im sure all three will live and well live by their excuses.

TRASHCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 12:10 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:

That's where I was last year. And I assumed Ted was close but was called back from the brink based on his Ted's Take. But as with most things, I take in less data than most and trust my instincts vs waiting for confirmation.

Old
05-06-2011, 12:18 PM
usiel

vCash: 878
Send a message via MSN to usiel
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2012 View Post
It's called lack of accountability.....

When the coaching staff and team management are always making excuses and the players make the same old mistakes after all these years....well, the comment might have been over the top, but I agree on some levels.

We have a culture of excuses and "there's always next year".
Damn dude get over it they lost, heh. The pain won't last forever. Sure I'm open for a coaching change but they didn't get much luck with injuries and a lot of still very young players.

Oh I get the whole rabid cannibal fan thing after getting their team knocked out of the playoffs and looking to tear everyone involved with the club to pieces. And you know thats fine.

usiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 12:19 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

I don't really think GMGM's job is tied to much of this. I think Ted feels, like many felt (until this collapse) that GMGM has been doing a pretty solid job. He's put together clubs that could do more than they have. Whether they were paper tigers or not, I think Ted feels that they could have achieved more than they have.

For that much, I don't think the blame game is anywhere near GMGM. He's survived for this long, the man is part teflon. He's got his supporters in hockey circles, and I don't think he's going to go down with the ship.

Old
05-06-2011, 12:21 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

there's always next year for 29 other hockey clubs.

The Caps, as much as some might not believe it, will still exist next season.

Old
Mothra
The Groovy Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2012 View Post
Love this...

In a sense, the Caps are trapped by their own culture of decency, self-regard and optimism. They want to give everybody a second, and sometimes a fourth chance, even the coach. They donít want to act in haste and repent at leisure, even if it means soft players arenít traded and get to repeat their spring failures. They donít want to blow up what theyíve built because they believe in sound foundations. But the Caps also flatter themselves that what they have created is a notch better than it actually is. And the Caps hate, hate, hate to admit any evaluation is wrong, until itís so obvious they canít deny it.

Good intentions, good results, then playoff mortification, year after year, followed by the same mantra: Thereís nothing wrong. We were just unlucky or injured. Next year: our turn. Keep the sellouts coming.

the bolded part really jumps out to me as true.....and its probably a natural way to feel.

Think about us....we see a guy and we like him, for whatever reason. It take a lot for most of us to change that opinion. We will defend a player, make excuses, etc. Now imagine its a player you actually picked, signed, re-signed, etc.....it cant be easy to cut those ties. Thats one of the reasons its a tough job....thats the kind of stuff you have to do.

They love the young players....but you know why winning teams dont have a shutdown pair of two rookies? Because teams dont win with rookie shutdown D....especially in front of a rookie goalie(s)...as much as I like Alzner and Carlson, thats flat out asking too much.

seriously....55, I know some think he is a real good player who goes unnoticed. GMGM/BB talk glowingly about him. He cant play.....but somehow they (and some here) look at all his average at best traits, lump them in with his below average skills...and somehow think the sum of that is quality.

Isnt that part of the mortage meltdown? Lump a bunch of below averge stuff together in a commodity labled as "grade A"

Mothra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

One things for certain, if GMGM gets let go, he'll have another job as quickly as he wants one.

mrwarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 12:23 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Damn dude get over it they lost, heh. The pain won't last forever. Sure I'm open for a coaching change but they didn't get much luck with injuries and a lot of still very young players.

Oh I get the whole rabid cannibal fan thing after getting their team knocked out of the playoffs and looking to tear everyone involved with the club to pieces. And you know thats fine.
I figure the worst should pass after today....

Dinner with the wife was a real treat last night....I think I said 5 words. Thankfully she's upset too, but still....not fun.

Anyways...I've never been a loud proponant of firing Bruce, but some sort of change needs to occur. If it's not coach and management, it's got to be some of the core players.

It's funny though....reread your post....they've got even the diehard fans making excuses for them now.

Old
05-06-2011, 12:25 PM
gsx capsfan

Send a message via AIM to gsx capsfan Send a message via Yahoo to gsx capsfan
Quote:

Couldn't agree more. I'm very much on the "Fire BB" bandwagon. He is a good regular season coach, because there he faces a team once. When a team has a chance to adjust to us, he will not make adjustments. We need a coach who can think on the fly.

Also, everyone knows what kind of poker player GMGM would make. Him saying BB is a good coach, and expects him here next season, doesn't mean that much to me until the draft. We will of had to make a coaching change by then I think. I think GMGM has done a good job here, but if he keeps BB, and we see the same abrupt end next year, I say can them both.

gsx capsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 12:25 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

Quote:
One things for certain, if GMGM gets let go, he'll have another job as quickly as he wants one.
Yep.

He's not out of work for longer than he feels the need to be out of work.

Anyone who put together this roster of talent is going to get a good offer. Even if they've failed in the playoffs, there are plenty of GMs who have done worse.