HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Alexander Semin to Ottawa

Old
05-05-2011, 08:07 AM
Curtinho
YNWA

vCash: 500
Alexander Semin to Ottawa

What would be the asking price? Try and stay reasonable. I know he has a lot of value, but I'm guessing that there are going to be casualties due to Washington's playoff failings again (regardless of who's fault it was.) Backstrom and Ovechkin aren't moving and there's a lot of money tied up between these three players. Murray has also promised to aggressively pursue a young top level winger for Spezza to play with (if anyone was wondering why I made this topic.)

Please keep the bashing and flaming to a minimum. We're not looking to undersell, or overvalue anyone here.

Curtinho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 08:11 AM
Mansfield
possession obsession

LOL.

Sorry, the image of Semin in a sens jersey made me laugh.

Gotta think they'd want Karlsson.

Mansfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 08:16 AM
Auzzie19

Isn't Semin a free agent this July???

Auzzie19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 08:23 AM
IrishPaulie
Sooshii is AWESOME!!

Send a message via AIM to IrishPaulie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahsen Mian View Post
Isn't Semin a free agent this July???
He re-upped for one year at 6.7m.

to be honest I think Washington would be doing themselves a favor to trade him and maybe get someone like Butler and a pick or two for him and use the added cap and picks to address their defense. IMO they could use a real solid Chara/Suter/Orpik type shutdown guy that can log big minutes for them.

IrishPaulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 08:38 AM
Capitlols
Historic Chokers

He was fairly good for the Caps this past playoffs/regular season, seemed to have matured too. That being said, I can't imagine his value being too high with only 1-year at $6.7 mil.

Capitlols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 08:59 AM
White Goodman
smell that fitness?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mansfield View Post
Gotta think they'd want Karlsson.

If New Jersey fans and Ottawa fans agreed that Karlsson + 1st for an RFA PARISE is fair value, Karlsson would not be moved in a million years for 1 season of Semin.

White Goodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 09:05 AM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appreci8 View Post
He was fairly good for the Caps this past playoffs/regular season, seemed to have matured too. That being said, I can't imagine his value being too high with only 1-year at $6.7 mil.
I didn't think he had a very good season or playoffs, likely due to injuries. Still, no one would be willing to give up their future for a guy that hasn't proven himself without OV.

If i were a gm, i sure as hell wouldn't trade for this guy after he dogged it to the bench with their season on the line, which led to a goal, unless i could get him for an extremely fair deal.

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 09:20 AM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

this would be the idea; time for a team to get him. The caps may want to make a bit of a shakeup after failing aAGAIN so maybe he can be moved and his value i as low as it will EVER be seems ideal to me.

I'd like to see Burke bring him in won't happen though cause we need a center but damn him and kessel on the same line or on the PP together would be fun to watch.

LEAFANFORLIFE23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 09:20 AM
SpezDispenser

Not interested in giving anything substantial for him at all. If it's a strict soft trade like the Gagne one, then sure, if not, then not interested.

SpezDispenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 09:26 AM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpezDispenser View Post
Not interested in giving anything substantial for him at all. If it's a strict soft trade like the Gagne one, then sure, if not, then not interested.
really? you wouldn't be interested in a guy capable of 40 goals on Spezza's wing?

Old
05-05-2011, 09:27 AM
Shanny
Let's Win It All

Would rather not give up much of anything to acquire him after watching his pathetic excuse of a playoff performance last night with the season on the line.
next...

Shanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 09:28 AM
TSA0402

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFANFORLIFE23 View Post
really? you wouldn't be interested in a guy capable of 40 goals on Spezza's wing?
For one year, with a guy who could very well have better chemistry with Regin and only pot 20-30 goals? Not to mention the amount you'd have to give up to acquire him. Thats a pretty easy no.

TSA0402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 09:29 AM
discobob

Semin on a line with a two-way center and a net crasher = quality offense, but you have to put the right players around him. If you put him with guys that can get dirty in the corners and play both ways, then his offense is hit or miss....

Although, when the guy is on....he's ON....

discobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 09:31 AM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSA0402 View Post
For one year, with a guy who could very well have better chemistry with Regin and only pot 20-30 goals? Not to mention the amount you'd have to give up to acquire him. Thats a pretty easy no.
I don't think you'd need to give up as much as you think. I don't thinks he's as untouchable as he was. Not saying he WILL be dealt but I could see a shake up the the roster coming and it wouldn't shock me if the caps were atleast willing to entertain the Idea of trading him

Old
05-05-2011, 09:31 AM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanny View Post
Would rather not give up much of anything to acquire him after watching his pathetic excuse of a playoff performance last night with the season on the line.
next...
This.

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 09:36 AM
SpezDispenser

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFANFORLIFE23 View Post
Sure, but again, I'd want it to be a soft trade where we're not giving up assets. I like Semin's skill set, but I would NOT overpay to get him to Ottawa so he can help up get from 11th to 9th. I'd much rather let some of the young guys play and pick up a sturdy player like Laich or Leino or someone of the sort out of the UFAs. Ottawa is just not in a position to pay the price for a player like Semin who only has one year IMO - not right now.

SpezDispenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 10:44 AM
Curtinho
YNWA

People blow things way out of proportion. How is he a playoff flop? 6 points, 4 goals, +2 in 9 games isn't horrible (30 points in 37 games in the playoffs.) On top of which one was an OT game winning goal. The whole team underperformed you can't just look at Semin -- if there's someone you really want to point a finger at that'd probably be Backstrom.

Semin is incredibly talented, and would work wonders on Spezza's wing. Since his contract is only 1 year, and it's so expensive, I would expect there to be a discount on his trade value. I'd start with Nashville's first and go from there. Relatively young, very skilled, natural goal scorer.

Keep in mind too, that all the impressive stuff he's done has been from the 2nd line playing with sub-par centres. Spezza would be the first true playmaking two-way centre that he's played with full time.

Semin - Spezza - Michalek would be vicious.

Old
05-05-2011, 04:24 PM
Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner

I would offer Wiercoch and our 2nd. No more.

Manked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 04:48 PM
TheSpaceCoyote
Sens fan in NL

We don't want him. There aren't many experienced guys in Ottawa good enough to be used in a trade who actually would get traded (Spezza, Alfie are both off limits). Not trading any young guys.

TheSpaceCoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 05:14 PM
Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner

Pretty much with what everyone is saying.

Chances are, Semin wouldn't re-sign in Ottawa, or at least would test the free agent market. So when I said Wiercoch + our 2nd, I don't think I would do it.

Obviously (I think), Semin has more value, but I just don't think Ottawa is the right place.

Old
05-05-2011, 05:50 PM
HughJewang

Semin had to be sued to play for the caps didn't he? I don't think ottawa is anywhere near comfortable trading for a player with that kind of history. Who is to say next year he won't book it to the KHL? I don't think semin's value is all that high for that reason along with his recent disappearance in round 2. I agree with wiercioch and a 2nd at most.

HughJewang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 05:59 PM
um

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckface NYR View Post
I didn't think he had a very good season or playoffs, likely due to injuries. Still, no one would be willing to give up their future for a guy that hasn't proven himself without OV.

If i were a gm, i sure as hell wouldn't trade for this guy after he dogged it to the bench with their season on the line, which led to a goal, unless i could get him for an extremely fair deal.
i believe your thinking of backstrom, semin played with arnott and sturm

um is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 06:46 PM
Curtinho
YNWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by HughJewang View Post
Semin had to be sued to play for the caps didn't he? I don't think ottawa is anywhere near comfortable trading for a player with that kind of history. Who is to say next year he won't book it to the KHL? I don't think semin's value is all that high for that reason along with his recent disappearance in round 2. I agree with wiercioch and a 2nd at most.
I keep hearing this 'Semin had to be sued to play for the caps' thing...which I've yet to see anyone post a link with any validity to the statement, or any indication that he's interested in leaving the NHL for the KHL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by um View Post
i believe your thinking of backstrom, semin played with arnott and sturm
This. Semin rarely plays with Ovechkin anyway, and mostly on the PP. He's pretty proven considering he plays with second rate centres while most elite wingers get the benefit of top level centres (and Semin still more often than not puts up PPG numbers or close to it.)

Old
05-05-2011, 07:13 PM
Puckgenius*

I see semin going to nashville this summer. They could use his skillset.

Butas a flames fan id take him straight up for jaybo. Jaybo would be the caps best defensive dman and he would be a great mentor for the kids. Plus he eats up big mins.

Puckgenius* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 09:00 PM
Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckgenius View Post
I see semin going to nashville this summer. They could use his skillset.

Butas a flames fan id take him straight up for jaybo. Jaybo would be the caps best defensive dman and he would be a great mentor for the kids. Plus he eats up big mins.
Trotz and Semin would not go well together IMO.