HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Wiz wants to come back

Old
05-05-2011, 09:56 AM
Hugo Sham

vCash: 500
Wiz wants to come back

from the very reliable MA Godin.

-loved his time in montreal and would return
-say Wiz wants to come back but (Wiz) thinks it's between him and Markov
-says team is close to cup contention but needs toughness
-say pacioretty loss was extremely difficult and screwed up all 4 lines.

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/sports/hoc...3_section_POS1

Hugo Sham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 10:05 AM
Kriss E

I don't think Wiz can QB the PP. I don't think PK can even do it that well. Both of them can shoot the puck very well, but being a QB, to me, is all about distributing the puck, and they weren't the best at doing it. Markov is light years ahead of them in that department.

If Wiz agrees to a 4M deal, I might be willing to sign him back.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 10:05 AM
hsing

putting yourself openly in competition with markov might not be the best idea ever...

hsing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 10:08 AM
LeHab

Dump Gomez into AHL if you need cap space.

LeHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 10:09 AM
Roulin

Great to hear another player speak highly of his experience here. I agree with Wiz, it's between him and Markov. You can only pay so much for offence from the blue line, and as Wiz says, Subban will need a new contract after next season. There's only 2 minutes per PP (most of the time), and 2 of those guys should play at least 1:20 per PP.

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 10:14 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
All well and good, but we'll see how much he wants to come back when it's time to talk $$$...I don't see Wiz taking anything less than $4m and I'm not sure the Habs are ready to pay that much.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 10:14 AM
coolasprICE

He wants to come back because of Gomez

But seriously these interviews are silly.

They never admit it, but at the end of the day, it really comes down to money...

Sure, if he can choose between playing with the Hawks or Blue Jackets for the same money, than he will likely take the better team / nicer city.

But if he can make an extra 5 million playing in Florida, he'll take the money and warm weather

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 10:22 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
Great to hear another player speak highly of his experience here. I agree with Wiz, it's between him and Markov. You can only pay so much for offence from the blue line, and as Wiz says, Subban will need a new contract after next season. There's only 2 minutes per PP (most of the time), and 2 of those guys should play at least 1:20 per PP.
I don't really think it'll come down to Markov vs Wiz.
I think Markov will re-sign here, no doubt about it. In my mind, it'll come down to Wiz vs another UFA. I would prefer to go after a guy like Ehrhoff personally. That way we give Markov a point man, and we also give him the option to cross it down towards the circle on the right where Cammy could snip it. Pretty similar to our PP when Kovalev was there.
On the 2nd wave, you can make PK play with Weber.

As for next year, I don't think we have to worry about it. Usual cap increase, Spacek coming off the books, so will Moen, so might any player like Pouliot that we might sign for only 1 extra year.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 10:25 AM
ClasslessGuy

with this season, he could have between 5-6 millions on the crazy UFA market. Pretty sure he won't be back

ClasslessGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 10:29 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
He wants to come back because of Gomez

But seriously these interviews are silly.

They never admit it, but at the end of the day, it really comes down to money...

Sure, if he can choose between playing with the Hawks or Blue Jackets for the same money, than he will likely take the better team / nicer city.

But if he can make an extra 5 million playing in Florida, he'll take the money and warm weather
Who's going to pay him $9 million per year?

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 10:32 AM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHill Seeker View Post
from the very reliable MA Godin.

-loved his time in montreal and would return
-say Wiz wants to come back but (Wiz) thinks it's between him and Markov
-says team is close to cup contention but needs toughness
-say pacioretty loss was extremely difficult and screwed up all 4 lines.
lol, what? This team isn't close to cup contention, not any closer than any other bottom playoff team. I know players have to speak positively, but I wish they would leave this 'contender status' out of it.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 10:34 AM
gusfring

Quote:
Originally Posted by persh View Post
Dump Gomez into AHL if you need cap space.
I think you can bet this will not happen. If we were Philly or NY, it would but not in Montreal. Too big a hit on the bottom line.

gusfring is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 10:49 AM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I don't really think it'll come down to Markov vs Wiz.
I think Markov will re-sign here, no doubt about it. In my mind, it'll come down to Wiz vs another UFA. I would prefer to go after a guy like Ehrhoff personally. That way we give Markov a point man, and we also give him the option to cross it down towards the circle on the right where Cammy could snip it. Pretty similar to our PP when Kovalev was there.
On the 2nd wave, you can make PK play with Weber.

As for next year, I don't think we have to worry about it. Usual cap increase, Spacek coming off the books, so will Moen, so might any player like Pouliot that we might sign for only 1 extra year.
I agree that Ehrhoff is a better option, he's just so much better than Wiz in his own end. But after next season, we'd be paying Markov, Ehrhoff and Subban over 5mil each, plus we'll have to pay for stay at home dmen.

How long would you have Subban on the 2nd PP? With his shot, ability to skate the puck into the offensive zone and stamina, he should be playing more than a minute per PP.

I don't think assuming a cap increase every season is a good idea. You're betting on the international economy, the Canadian dollar, the health of NHL franchises, the cap structure of the new CBA... there's a lot of potential volatility, in my view.

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 10:51 AM
Pascal

Habs priority will be Markov. I doubt Wiz will be back.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 10:58 AM
Bill McNeal

vCash: 50
If he truly believes it will come down to him or Markov, that probably means he expects $5M+. I like the Wiz, but no thank you...

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 11:06 AM
habsrule22

If you look at cap geek, there really only about 7 teams that have the cap space to pay and room on the blue line to pay a 4 to 5 m defensemen, they are carolina, columbus, colorado, florida montreal, st louis and tampa. Some of those teams have an internal budget so you can count out some of those teams. So Wiz really doesn t have that many option.

habsrule22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 11:08 AM
LyleOdelein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogurt View Post
If he truly believes it will come down to him or Markov, that probably means he expects $5M+. I like the Wiz, but no thank you...
That's what I read into that comment too. I think that it's pretty much a sure thing Wiz tests the market. If that's the case, the odds of him returning are significantly lowered.

I just hope that PG can get Markov signed before UFA season starts so he's not too far behind the 8-ball to begin with.

LyleOdelein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 11:08 AM
googlymoogly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogurt View Post
Now that you mention it that way he must be comparing himself to Markov. He is not Markov quality. Wiz could be brought back with Hammer coming off contract.

With bargaining contracts coming up I have a feeling Montreal may not want to give more than 2 year contracts to see what is going to happen next year. The only guys they may extend further than two years are Markov and Gorges since they have been here awhile.

If they did bring back Wiz and Markov then Weber might become trade bait since it would seem we have too many of the same style of D on the team. I would rather keep Weber and let him develop.

googlymoogly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 11:13 AM
Quarantesix
#Galchenyuk

He want to come back but he also want big money and a long term deal. Something PG should not give him and something another GM will give him come July 1st

Quarantesix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 11:14 AM
Habsfan22100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
lol, what? This team isn't close to cup contention, not any closer than any other bottom playoff team. I know players have to speak positively, but I wish they would leave this 'contender status' out of it.
Looking at the 2nd round, they aren't THAT far off, at least in the east. They took Boston to 7 games and I wouldn't say that TB is that much better than them either.

Habsfan22100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 11:17 AM

Well I don't see why the Habs couldn't bring back BOTH of them if they wanted...Re-signing Markov is a no-brainer and i'm 100% convicned it will happen, so that's a moot point as far as i'm concerned

As for The Wiz, if he can price himself in the 4 to 4.5M range, then I can see him coming back....anything more and the Habs should look in another direction

417 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 11:22 AM
TheBuriedHab

I like him but I'd rather use the money to go after a rugged stay at home guy or a better 2 way guy.

TheBuriedHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 11:27 AM
Cupmonger

We have the cap space to get both. Just from all our ufas, we get 17mil. Though it may hurt our chances to getting a top 6 O.

Cupmonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 11:27 AM
habsrock76

Cant we give Hamrlik's money (less a mill) to Wiz, isnt he 5.5 off the books?

There's no reason why the Habs cant sign both, but Id take a healthy Wiz over a sketchy Markov (the same knee shredded twice in 7 months) at this point.

Markov - PK
Wiz - Gorges
Spacek and the choice of Weber, Gill, UFA or even Emelein (I think its safe to say he can play the 5-6 role for this team now)

habsrock76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 11:30 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Depends what you want, Wiz.

Hammer's 5.5 and Wiz's 3.25 off, that gives up almost 9 mill. We should be able to sign Marky to what he's making already. With that 9 mill, you could probably sign Wiz, sign a guy like Vandemeer, or maybe even SoB and have some of it count towards Gorges' new contract.

Analyzer is online now   Reply With Quote