HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Wiz wants to come back

Old
05-05-2011, 05:42 PM
SouthernHab

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
Well I don't see why the Habs couldn't bring back BOTH of them if they wanted...Re-signing Markov is a no-brainer and i'm 100% convicned it will happen, so that's a moot point as far as i'm concerned

As for The Wiz, if he can price himself in the 4 to 4.5M range, then I can see him coming back....anything more and the Habs should look in another direction
I would like to see both Wiz and Markov.

But.......knowing our past history, we will probably re-sign Hamrlik and Gill to some crazy contracts, keep Spacek and then wonder at the end of next season why our defense is not all that great.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 05:56 PM
FiveForDrawingBlood

Hope Wiz returns next year. Team changed when we traded for him

FiveForDrawingBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 06:11 PM
kassian
Emelin's face plate

Resign Wiz, Markov and Gorges. Let Hammer retire.

Sign Cam Janssen for around 600k to play on the 4th line.

Cup time

kassian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 06:21 PM
Habs 1909

Bring Wiz back.

Habs 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 06:25 PM
Cupmonger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post

But.......knowing our past history, we will probably re-sign Hamrlik and Gill to some crazy contracts, keep Spacek and then wonder at the end of next season why our defense is not all that great.
anti-jynx?

I don't think PG would be crazy enough to that. He seems to have done some pretty good moves since he's here.

Cupmonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 06:36 PM
DJ Breadman

I would love to see Wiz and Markov signed, at this point I don't really trust Markov to play a full year heathly. Look at it this way, if we don't sign wiz and markov gets hurt we'll be looking for another powerplay dman, if PK gets hurt, we'll be looking for another powerplay dman with a big shot If we sign wiz and he get's hurt we have markov and pk for the powerplay. Look at the last few years, we got rid of souray, then we had to find a new powerplay dman with a big shot, we got strait, when he left we had a hole in powerplay so we got MA Bergeron, then he wasn't resigned so we had to go and trade for wiz. There's a saying 2 is 1 and 1 is none. The more of these types of players the better.

DJ Breadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 06:40 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
lol, what? This team isn't close to cup contention, not any closer than any other bottom playoff team. I know players have to speak positively, but I wish they would leave this 'contender status' out of it.
I think if markov and gorges arent lost for the season in november, then this team wins the division. I mean, even without them, they were still competing for the division right to the end.

I can certainly see this squad winning the division next season. Although, I agree that the team needs some stars to align to be a serious cup contender ie) Eller's development rate gets accelerated, Gomez proving to be a capable #2 centre, pacioretty continuing right where he left off.

Certainly, the team cannot afford the number and magnitude of injuries suffered this past season.

Hackett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 06:51 PM
swimmer77
What's an ROW?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post

I'm a big fan of Hamrlik and not so much Gill BUT those two guys IMHO deserve credit. You can call them old. You can call them slow. You can dislike / hate one or the other or both.

But watching Boston walk all over a basically Prongerless Philly it's worth noting the old guys (Spacek, Gill, Hamrlik, Sopel) did pretty good. Had the forwards helped out a little in the scoring department the Habs would still be in the playoffs.

Markov was out. Gorges was out. Wiz hurt his hand. The graybeards did a good job holding the D together all together. Hamrlik and Gill are older but who stayed the healthiest and who were the guys trying to keep the makeshift D together all year. You can even throw Picard on the younger injured pile.

I dread the thought of Gill being in the top four next year but I'll give credit where it's due. He did what he could.

Having said all that, with Gorges and Markov back and maybe one or both of Hamrlik and Gill I don't think the D would be as bad as people make it out to be. And it may be a cheap way to go and allow the signing of Wiz and Markov.

Markov - Wiz
Hamrlik - Subban
Spacek - Gorges

Gill / Weber

If the young guys could manage to stay healthy it would help tremendously. That's been the main problem the last 3 years - not the old guys. You know they are not all going to stay healthy the whole year. Switch out Hamrlik, Spacek, and Gill so there is only two graybeards on the ice at once. Maybe neither Hamrlik or Gill would go for that scenario but if they would at bargain basement prices maybe PG could put some money in the bank for that scoring forward the Habs could use.

Hamrlik and Gill both of been very loyal - I just thought it would be a way to offer them something. Obviously it would be up to them whether or not they'd want that kind of arrangement.

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 06:52 PM
Bieber fever

Markov-Subban
Gorges-Wiz

plz

Bieber fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 07:09 PM
onemorecup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
lol, what? This team isn't close to cup contention, not any closer than any other bottom playoff team. I know players have to speak positively, but I wish they would leave this 'contender status' out of it.
agreed ..the dude has to say something positive

he is going to the highest bidder

this is his big home run payday ...so there is no hometown discount here folks

onemorecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 07:13 PM
onemorecup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I think what will be a deciding factor if Wisniewski is back:

1-if they can find a way to move Spacek(maybe take back a bad contract that they can send AHL or buy out cheap.)
2-if they can sign him to a reasonable contract 4-4.5 mil over 3-4 years(home town discount)
3-Markov can be signed to a reasonable price(5-5.5 cap hit)

If they don't sign Markov then I'm sure Wiz becomes a high priority...though they could always fall back on some of the offensive UFA's like Ehrhoff McCabe Kaberle Pitkanen as the market will be a bit flooded in offensive d-men.
one thing is certain Wiz and Markov wont come back together

one or the other ....we need to address size on the backend

onemorecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 07:15 PM
The Right Price

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
A couple of things:
1) Markov is a safer bet as long as he's healthy... doesn't seem contradictory to you? I mean health/durability risks can't be overly safe to "bet on".

2) Eller's cap hit is already almost $1.3 mil, he only has one more year to earn more, and still isn't playing much more than 10 mins per game or contributing much on the scoresheet. What kind of raise are you expecting him to get? I'd be surprised, even if he "lights it up" next season, if he even commands anywhere close to the $3.25M that A.Kost got after being a repeat 20+ goal scorer.

In any event, I expect that the simple elimination of Spacek's contract would almost entirely compensate for Price (currently 2.75M cap hit, likely won't more than double regardless of salary structure) and Eller's raises. And like you said, if Hamrlik is gone (I've been defending him, but as an asset I'd rather have Wiz for sure), then there should be more than enough money to cover Wiz AND have a bit extra to bank away for PK(who, in all likelyhood, should be looking something between E.Johnson and J.Johnson money - $2.5M to $3.5M cap hit). I really don't see any potential problems from cap limitations, only limitations with regards to correctly making "tough" decisions in the best interest of the club's future.
You make some valid points. Good reply.

Maybe PG should start talking to Subban, Price and maybe Eller about what kind of dough they want when it's time to renew them. That'll make calculations alot easier. It's good that Max' contract is up now, he can't demand more than 1.5 M, which means Eller can't demand more than 1.75 M now when I think about it.

For Subban we could look at a really long term deal, but hopefully he doesn't slow down just because of "job security", look what happened to Backstrom in Washington. Nicky started playing like sh.. once he got a big money contract. But well Subban > Backstrom.

If Price plays like this again next season he will get a raise to around 5-6 M.

I just don't want to end up in a situation where we have offered both Wiz and Markov a contract and can't get rid of them so we lose one of our youngesters to the market.

And yes, Markov health situation is the only risky part. Once he is healthy he is 5x better than Wiz. And that's the risk I'm willing to take. Markov could be our Selanne.

The Right Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 07:58 PM
durojean

Markov Gorges
Gill Subban
Spacek Weber

I'd try to get Erhoff because I think he is elite. I'm not so sure about wiz but anyway... First priority is still Brad Richards... just in case a miracle could happen

All in all I would be happy with the defence I listed above. We have to let Weber develop one day or another

durojean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 09:55 PM
Mr Rogers

In an ideal world, PG gets rid of both Gomez and Spacek and signs both Markov and Wiz

Markov(5.5mil)-Subban
Gorges(2.5mil)-Wisniewski(4.3mil)
Gill(1.5mil)-Weber

If Wiz is a no go, then pick up a tough physical D on the market.
(Brewer, Hannan, Bieksa, O'brien etc)

Mr Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 10:23 PM
Ginu

Markov, Subban, Wisniewski, Weber, Gorges, Gill and Spacek can all fit for under $20m. That leaves over $40m next season on the cap which is completely doable with all of our entry-level contracts. If we can deal Spacek, we can even attempt to sign Bieksa for $4.5m under relatively the same cap space. That D core would be top 5 in the league.

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 10:30 PM
Shutdown

If the opportunity exists this summer to sign either Wiz or Bieksa to replace Hamrlik. Who do you take?

Not sure I don't want the more 2 way guy.

Shutdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 10:33 PM
JSBach

I just don't want another 2nd round pick to go down the drain.

JSBach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 11:19 PM
Poulet Kostopoulos

Wiz for 4.5m$? And Mike Komisarek, a 13 minutes/game, 10 points/season D, got paid 6M$ this year. LOL

Wiz will get at least 5M$.

Poulet Kostopoulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 12:28 AM
Picaroon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
"Cap Conscious" to say the least!!

He passed on Dominic Moore for chrissakes, in order to get a Jeff Halpern type player for $500k less.

Ugh!
Ya man I agree that was stupid. That wasn't a cap conscience choice though. That was assuming players could fill his spot like Pouliot. Did not work. Honestly, I could not believe they didn't re-sign moore. Even if they had got him for free he would be worth it. Always loved him. **** all these people *****ing about SK, Dago and Laps.... Moore is a winner. Biggest loss of the PG era. For what it's worth, Halpern has done a fine job, but Moore is way, way better.

Picaroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 01:48 AM
McNuts

I'd rather have both Markov and Wiz, but if I had to choose, I'd rather have Markov.

McNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 05:44 AM
FiveForDrawingBlood

Sign both Wiz and Markov, gives up depth to trade a Gorges for something big? I'd like to trade either a top pick in this draft or a big time goal scorer.

FiveForDrawingBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 06:38 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poulet Kostopoulos View Post
Wiz for 4.5m$? And Mike Komisarek, a 13 minutes/game, 10 points/season D, got paid 6M$ this year. LOL

Wiz will get at least 5M$.
You are not comparing apples to apples.

First Komisarek's contract is a cap hit of 4.5 mil, but it's front loaded a bit so he made more the first 2 years...we can do that if the player wants that.

Second, Komisarek is and was overpaid at the time, that's why Gainey walked away and rightfully so. If Komisarek was a UFA this July 1st he would be lucky to get 2.5 mil.

Third, at 4.5 mil wisniewski would be giving the club a home town discount because he might be able to make more as a uFA, players do taht if they like it somewhere.

Fourth, this is a deep year for skilled d-men UFA's(at least potentially) with Markov Wisniewski Kaberle Ehrhoff Pitkanen McCabe Jovanovski plus guys like White Bieksa Brewer Hamrlik Hannan Wallin Hejda Montador Ericsson etc. Hvaing taht many potential UFA's has to impact those guys' value much like it did Halak's tarde value with a lot of UFA goalies last year.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 06:45 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithsonhab View Post
Ya man I agree that was stupid. That wasn't a cap conscience choice though. That was assuming players could fill his spot like Pouliot. Did not work. Honestly, I could not believe they didn't re-sign moore. Even if they had got him for free he would be worth it. Always loved him. **** all these people *****ing about SK, Dago and Laps.... Moore is a winner. Biggest loss of the PG era. For what it's worth, Halpern has done a fine job, but Moore is way, way better.
In which way is Moore a lot better?

Both guys are good PK guys, Moore was 53.2% in faceoffs and -12. Halpern was 56.9% on faceoffs and +6.

Halpern was 11-15-26 in 72 games(0.37 PPGM) playing 12:44 with no PP points.
Moore was 18-14-32 in 77 games(0.42 PPGM) playing 15:36 with 7 PP points.

So Halpern was the better 5 on 5 player despite playing 3 less minutes a night and making about half the salary...yeah huge screw up by Gauthier

Hab fans

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 08:40 AM
Gainey#1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Breadman View Post
I would love to see Wiz and Markov signed, at this point I don't really trust Markov to play a full year heathly. Look at it this way, if we don't sign wiz and markov gets hurt we'll be looking for another powerplay dman, if PK gets hurt, we'll be looking for another powerplay dman with a big shot If we sign wiz and he get's hurt we have markov and pk for the powerplay. Look at the last few years, we got rid of souray, then we had to find a new powerplay dman with a big shot, we got strait, when he left we had a hole in powerplay so we got MA Bergeron, then he wasn't resigned so we had to go and trade for wiz. There's a saying 2 is 1 and 1 is none. The more of these types of players the better.
Well said. Don't forget the trade to get Schneider either.

If we don't sign Wisniewski, we will be regretting it in November and trading another 2nd round pick away to get a similar mould dman.This team lacks offense, why would you not bring him back if he wants to stay? He has some grit as well, so its a no-brainer for me. Re-sign Wiz and Markov. You can always make room for those type of players on your team.

Just think of what our PP will look like without Wisniewski on our team.
1st unit: Markov, Subban
2nd unit: Weber, Gorges??

Don't even tell me Spacek can play the PP because we all know how he has done in that position in two years with Montreal.

Gainey#1* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 09:17 AM
habs_24x

Would be nice to see Wiz back next year but im afraid he will sign elsewhere at around 5 million per longterm.

Its certainly doable if we let Hamr and Gill walk.

Sill tho, its nice to dream:

Markov - Wiz (20-25 mins a game)
Gorges - Subban (20-25 mins a game)
Spacek - Vébaire (whatever is left)
Picard

First PP wave: Markov - Subban
if we dont score (highly unlikely)
second PP wave: Wiz - Weber

Actually, trading Spacek would be the best senario but at his present salary
i dont see any takers.

habs_24x is offline   Reply With Quote