HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

LW, C - UFA's

Closed Thread

Old
07-14-2004, 02:50 PM
Blueshirt13

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr4life5186
I agree with Kodiak. Lindros, despite the health concerns, would still be the best option if we're looking for a stopgap 1st liner. Face it, there is no perfect solution. If it was that easy to find a cheap veteran top line player who would be willing to play for this team for reasons other than money, then we'd have nothing to argue about. But since theres nobody out there like that, we need to settle for whats available. Having said that, I highly doubt Lindros will be back. Not after what his father said and not after the tone Maloney was using when speaking of Lindros.

My hunch tells me Sather will try to sign Allison. We all know how much Slats likes to go after reclamation projects. And IMO, I definately wouldnt mind if he went that route. Allison isn't exactly a veteran presence, but he's a low-risk option and probably wouldn't cost that much given his injury history.

Just as a hypothetical, if our opening night roster looks like this, I'm pretty happy...

Wiseman-Allison-Jagr
Lundmark-D. Moore-Balej
Murray-Holik-Green
LaCouture-Betts-Ortmeyer

Kasparaitis-Poti
Tyutin-Kondratiev
Rachunek-Pock

extras: Lampman, Purinton, Nycholat

Dunham
Labarbera
i wouldn't call Allison low risk... he is recovering from whip-lash and a concussion and missed all of 2003-2004.

Though I think Allison and Lindros, if they were healthy, would be great first line options for the team at center, with so many rookies on the team we really need someone who does not have a history of injuries and is low risk. Off the top of my head I would throw out a name like Zhamnov, though I know he had his minor injury trouble. The guy is a 12 year vet and over his career was an alternate captain for the Hawks averaging almost a point a game.

As far as line combos, I would love to go with something like:

Lundmark-UFA/Zhamnov-Jagr
UFA-Moore-Balej
Murray-Holik-Ortemeyer
Wiseman-Betts-whoever

Kasparaitis-Tyutin
Poti-Kondratiev
Rachunek-Pock
Lampman

Outside of the 4th line, you get a mixture of kids and vets on each line. On LW, you play people by their camp performances. If Wiseman or Murray play harder and work more than Lundmark, put them ahead of him. The kids need to see people EARN spots instead of being handed them. That will inspire them to play harder and reach more.

Old
07-14-2004, 02:53 PM
little a from da bx

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr4life5186
I agree with Kodiak. Lindros, despite the health concerns, would still be the best option if we're looking for a stopgap 1st liner. Face it, there is no perfect solution. If it was that easy to find a cheap veteran top line player who would be willing to play for this team for reasons other than money, then we'd have nothing to argue about. But since theres nobody out there like that, we need to settle for whats available. Having said that, I highly doubt Lindros will be back. Not after what his father said and not after the tone Maloney was using when speaking of Lindros.

My hunch tells me Sather will try to sign Allison. We all know how much Slats likes to go after reclamation projects. And IMO, I definately wouldnt mind if he went that route. Allison isn't exactly a veteran presence, but he's a low-risk option and probably wouldn't cost that much given his injury history.

Just as a hypothetical, if our opening night roster looks like this, I'm pretty happy...

Wiseman-Allison-Jagr
Lundmark-D. Moore-Balej
Murray-Holik-Green
LaCouture-Betts-Ortmeyer

Kasparaitis-Poti
Tyutin-Kondratiev
Rachunek-Pock

extras: Lampman, Purinton, Nycholat

Dunham
Labarbera

hlavac-stumpel-jagr

isbister-lundmark-balej

Murray-Holik-ortmeyer

wiseman-larose-betts

Kasparaitis-Poti
Tyutin-Kondratiev
Rachunek-Pock

rucinsky-stumpel/perault-jagr

murray / wiseman-lundmark-balej

Murray/wiseman-Holik-ortmeyer

larose-scott-betss ( whatever order dont care who is center good energy line)

trade poti .....

tyutin-kaspar
pock-nycholat/hill
hill / nycholat - some tough presence, gauthier, paul

Last edited by little a from da bx: 07-14-2004 at 03:01 PM.
Old
07-14-2004, 05:34 PM
Kovy274Hart

Send a message via AIM to Kovy274Hart
No, no and NO!!!!! Signing free agents this year is all wrong. This team is in a full rebuild-mode now. They don't need to chase guys who want nothing to do with playing here. It makes no sense either. We have a few vets that get paid handsomely and a bunch of young players that need to play and develop. It's time for the Rangers to do it that way. Plus with Sidney Crosby a possibility, it's better to keep our team as is.

I'd only consider adding a fringe guy like Rucinsky. The D is fine. We have plenty of good young players on it that should be playing. Let's do it that way.

As far as forwards, let guys like Wiseman, Moore and LaRose get their shots.

C- Holik, Lundmark, Moore and Betts

LW- ???, Murray, Wiseman and LaRose

RW- Jagr, Balej, Ortmeyer and M. Green

D- Kasparaitis-Poti
Tyutin-Lampman
Rachunek-Pock

Extras: Kondratiev, Nycholat and McAllister

I didn't list Hlavac, Green and LaCouture because I'm not sure who will be back. We don't have many guys signed. The only definites that are under contract are:

Holik, Jagr, Kaspar, Dunham, Poti, Pock and Betts

Almost everyone else's contracts were up giving our team a bunch of RFA's as well as UFA's.

Old
07-14-2004, 05:47 PM
NYR469

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovy274Hart
No, no and NO!!!!! Signing free agents this year is all wrong. This team is in a full rebuild-mode now. They don't need to chase guys who want nothing to do with playing here. It makes no sense either. We have a few vets that get paid handsomely and a bunch of young players that need to play and develop. It's time for the Rangers to do it that way. Plus with Sidney Crosby a possibility, it's better to keep our team as is.

I'd only consider adding a fringe guy like Rucinsky. The D is fine. We have plenty of good young players on it that should be playing. Let's do it that way.

D- Kasparaitis-Poti
Tyutin-Lampman
Rachunek-Pock

I didn't list Hlavac, Green and LaCouture because I'm not sure who will be back. We don't have many guys signed. The only definites that are under contract are:

Almost everyone else's contracts were up giving our team a bunch of RFA's as well as UFA's.
you can't go into the season with 10 kids among 12 forward spots...besides the fact that we'd have absolutely no depth if someone got hurt and the fact that we don't have enough nhl ready kids to do that, that doesn't create the best learning environment for the kids. simply throwing all the kids in the lineup isn't necessarily the best option...the kids need veteran leadership that can help them learn...

no one here is looking at free agents to take time away from kids or to make the team better, but rather to simply round out the roster

Old
07-14-2004, 05:51 PM
BobMarleyNYR

Send a message via AIM to BobMarleyNYR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovy274Hart

D- Kasparaitis-Poti
Tyutin-Lampman
Rachunek-Pock

I think in most circumstances, you're right, but everyone is in general agreement about this. It simply HAS to be done, there's not much argument there... if not UFA, then there must be a trade, which would natrurally mean we'd have to sacrifice assets, which would be bad... most would be disappointed if an player with any trade value got moved at this point.

Old
07-14-2004, 08:08 PM
Prucha73

I wouldn't be too upset if we sign 1 veteran forward, but I would really prefer to stick with more youth and try to get Crosby. If we are to sign a vet I think Vinny Damphousse would be a good choice to help out the youngsters.

Also does anybody know if we get any compensatory picks if we sign nobody?

Old
07-14-2004, 08:24 PM
NYR469

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prucha73
I wouldn't be too upset if we sign 1 veteran forward, but I would really prefer to stick with more youth and try to get Crosby. If we are to sign a vet I think Vinny Damphousse would be a good choice to help out the youngsters.

Also does anybody know if we get any compensatory picks if we sign nobody?
none of the guys we could lose to free agency will make enough $$ to get us a comp pick

Old
07-15-2004, 12:30 AM
burner10115

First off, no UFA defensemen. Don't need them. Were packed full of young talent. Plus, some people mentioned tha there would be pressure o the youngsters to perform nxt yr, but we have to remember that we're rebuilding, not trying to win the cup. Where's the pressure? Last thing we need is a defenseman.

#1 centers IMO should be either Zhamnov if we can sign him, or posibly (I know i'm dreaming) Datsyuk from the wings. Heard the were having trouble signing him. He would be great B/c he's 26? and 30 goal scorer. We don't need Nedved. He stinks and gets pushed off the puck too easily. He doesn't have enough finesse in his game as Datsyuk to work around his poor size. And Holik is a definite no to #1 center spot. He's here to play on a checking line. He We've already see he can't play 1 spot. And LIndros.... do I need to explain. We took a gamble on him and it didn't pan out. Let's not make another mistake.

Old
07-15-2004, 03:27 AM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by burner10115
First off, no UFA defensemen. Don't need them. Were packed full of young talent. Plus, some people mentioned tha there would be pressure o the youngsters to perform nxt yr, but we have to remember that we're rebuilding, not trying to win the cup. Where's the pressure? Last thing we need is a defenseman.

#1 centers IMO should be either Zhamnov if we can sign him, or posibly (I know i'm dreaming) Datsyuk from the wings. Heard the were having trouble signing him. He would be great B/c he's 26? and 30 goal scorer. We don't need Nedved. He stinks and gets pushed off the puck too easily. He doesn't have enough finesse in his game as Datsyuk to work around his poor size. And Holik is a definite no to #1 center spot. He's here to play on a checking line. He We've already see he can't play 1 spot. And LIndros.... do I need to explain. We took a gamble on him and it didn't pan out. Let's not make another mistake.
Wow, you basically echo my sentiments exactly. We definately do not need an UFA DMan, we have enough DMan right now to field a pretty decent group. And what pressure is there exactly on anyone to perform on this team? we are rebuilding, the only guy who should be feeling any pressure is Lundmark and maybe Hlavac if he comes back.

As for forwards, i too saw the report on Datsyuk. Wings do not know if they can sign him...can we dream? Zhamnov wouldnt be a bad idea...but i've had enough of Nedved and Lindros, it's time to move on.

Old
07-15-2004, 09:26 AM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by burner10115
We are full of young players, not neccessarily full time NHL talent yet...Rachunek was God awful last year as Ranger and needs to drastically inprove his performance and work ethic......How many games has Pock (who I like alot) played at D his entire life? Is Kondratiev ready for any or full time NHL duty? Wouldn't it be nice for Tyutin and other youngsters to have continuos teaching by a vet or two during practice and games? And I don't think the roaming and wandering Kasparitis (who i like also) fits this job description to a tee......

True, there will be no pressure on these kids to win a cup, but there will be pressure (even if self induced) for them to perform...And you know damn well the Garden fans will be booing the team at times...These kids will need assistance and a helping hand from a vet will go along way in easing and futhering their development and transition...And then there's Poti who can only offer benefits to the Rangers if he is let loose offensively and paird with a steady, responsible D-man...

And then if we do go with such a defense and work a young Danny Boy into goal, that won't be the best scenario for his development either..

JMO, but we need a D-man desperately.......

Old
07-15-2004, 10:32 AM
burner10115

At the most i would sign a 1yr contract to a steady defensemen. Still, the reason I don't like signing a d-man is because he takes someones spot that could be playing there. The only tangible for me is Kondatiev because i've nevr seen him play, but from wut I've heard he is ready. I think ur wrong about Rachunek. He showed at times why he we got him, but I just think he was edgy with the new situation in NY. Poti on the other hand, stinx. If we could raise his value and trade him for picks or prospects I would b happy. He doesn't play steady dfense, and he isn't talented offensively as we were lead to believe whenwe got him. He's garbage but for now we should keep him until his stock rises enough to induce any trades.

One thing forgot was Lw's. If I were to sign any1 I would sign Hlavac. Paired with Jagr and if we could somehow get Zhamnov or Datsyuk (I dream) he could be a real offensive threat. If we can't sign him we should sign Rucinsky. My starting lineup would be, if we get very lucky would b:

Hlavac- Datsyuk- Jagr
Lundmark- Zhamnov- Balej
Garth Murray- Holik- Ortmyer
Lacouture- Betts- ???

Dfnse-
Poti-Rachunek
Tyutin- Kondratiev
Pock- Kapsparitus

Mayb switch Poti out w/Tyutin if pairings don't work. If Kondratiev is able to hold up to his billing, he should withstand being paired w/ TYutin. Hopefully. Other wise everything is pretty stable.

Last edited by burner10115: 07-15-2004 at 10:38 AM.
Old
07-15-2004, 10:38 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR469
none of the guys we could lose to free agency will make enough $$ to get us a comp pick
Lindros might net a 2nd/3rd eounder. Mironov a 4th/5th...

Old
07-15-2004, 05:30 PM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reveille
Lindros might net a 2nd/3rd eounder. Mironov a 4th/5th...
Yeah, i believe if we dont sign someone of equal or greater worth...which it doesnt look like we are gonna do, so that will be nice.

Closed Thread