HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rammer paroled

Old
05-05-2011, 05:20 PM
ungerISgod

vCash: 500
Rammer paroled

http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...-rejected.html

ungerISgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 07:06 PM
intangible

vCash: 139
Sad. Lock those idiots away.

intangible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 10:34 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 714
Quote:
Originally Posted by intangible View Post
Sad. Lock those idiots away.
People do change. I don't know anything about this guy, but addicts can recover (even though it sounds like he doesn't view himself this way). Seems more sensible not to pass judgment (to me). The quotes in the article reflect a guy that's had to live with the knowledge of a lot of pain he's inflicted.....maybe it affected him positively?

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 11:12 PM
Mike Liut

vCash: 50
I think Rammer is a good guy who made a mistake. How many times have we all been behind the wheel after too many drinks but nothing bad happened ? I know I have. I hate to admit it, but it's true. Alcohol makes you seem invincible. It makes me 10 feet tall and bullet proof. When I am drinking, I will fight anybody. When I'm sober, I am very mild mannered. Just because Rammer made a mistake, it doesn't make him a bad dude. It sux though.

Mike Liut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 11:49 AM
SteenMachine

I can't sympathize because I've never found alcohol or drunk people appealing. It's one of those social norms where its ok because we're all pathetic sometimes in our life so it's just breaking even with everyone else who's gotten drunk and ruined something selfishly. I hate that cop out for people who live beneath themselves, you want to ruin things, ruin it for yourself and leave others out of your issues and bad choices.

SteenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 12:51 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

Not sure if SteenMachine is responding to my comment or not. This is quickly going far from hockey topics, but for whatever reason I feel like responding.

I don't drink. I've dealt first-hand with the aftermath of drunk-driving tragedies (in my job) multiple times. I believe the penalties should be harsh.

This example is a guy that's been in jail 7 years, right? (Maybe some details are escaping me.) My point is simply that a lot can happen in 7 years. People change. Idiots can learn. Addicts can recover. They don't all do so, but I'd like to live in a system where there is room to recognize those who have true remorse for their mistakes and have a chance to rebuild their lives.

If I were ever the victim of a drunk driver, if I could be around to tell my opinion...I'd want the outcome to be that the person feels true remorse, has an opportunity to get help...not just lip service but deep and lasting help, and then goes on to become a positive influence in the world. I wouldn't want the guy punished forever or thrown away somewhere as a worthless piece of garbage for the rest of his life.

I'm not deluded into thinking everyone will have an honest change of heart and recovery, but I'd like to live in a system where that option is possible.

Old
05-06-2011, 12:54 PM
Going Back to Cally
Sons of Pirates

vCash: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
Not sure if SteenMachine is responding to my comment or not. This is quickly going far from hockey topics, but for whatever reason I feel like responding.

I don't drink. I've dealt first-hand with the aftermath of drunk-driving tragedies (in my job) multiple times. I believe the penalties should be harsh.

This example is a guy that's been in jail 7 years, right? (Maybe some details are escaping me.) My point is simply that a lot can happen in 7 years. People change. Idiots can learn. Addicts can recover. They don't all do so, but I'd like to live in a system where there is room to recognize those who have true remorse for their mistakes and have a chance to rebuild their lives.

If I were ever the victim of a drunk driver, if I could be around to tell my opinion...I'd want the outcome to be that the person feels true remorse, has an opportunity to get help...not just lip service but deep and lasting help, and then goes on to become a positive influence in the world. I wouldn't want the guy punished forever or thrown away somewhere as a worthless piece of garbage for the rest of his life.

I'm not deluded into thinking everyone will have an honest change of heart and recovery, but I'd like to live in a system where that option is possible.
He's only been in jail for 10 months. I doubt that changes much.

Going Back to Cally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 01:44 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

Thanks. Seven years since the accident. What did he do the other 6 years?

I don't know how long it takes. I'm sure it varies from person to person. Ten months doesn't seem like a very long time in that light. I'm sure there are people that would never change regardless of how long they have.

Old
05-17-2011, 10:15 AM
SavageSteve

In all that nothing can be done to change the past, I truly hope that he can use this to help others to not make the same mistake.

I'm a bit curious to know what his condition w/ concussions is. With seeing how its impacted so many of today's players w/ season ending conditions and the descriptions of headaches/dizziness many of the players have related to concussions, I wonder if this may help to shed some light on long-term effects and maybe get the league to develop some better equipment/rules for minimizing them? I know it's not an excuse; but from what I hear dealing w/ one as bad as some of the players have experienced could easily drive me to want to drink and gives me a bit of a reality check when it comes to judging others..

SavageSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 10:10 PM
hossua34
Mutt

Send a message via AIM to hossua34 Send a message via Yahoo to hossua34
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteenMachine View Post
I can't sympathize because I've never found alcohol or drunk people appealing. It's one of those social norms where its ok because we're all pathetic sometimes in our life so it's just breaking even with everyone else who's gotten drunk and ruined something selfishly. I hate that cop out for people who live beneath themselves, you want to ruin things, ruin it for yourself and leave others out of your issues and bad choices.
It's just as pathetic and unappealing listening to people talk as though every person who drinks alcohol - ever - is a drunken loser. Get over yourself.

I think Ramage got off relatively easy because any normal person in a similar situation would have likely done more time. However, I think all things considered 10 months in jail is plenty to change a person's perspective, permanently. There are plenty of other punishments out there for people who are worried he didn't get his "just deserts" - pull his driver's license forever, make him do thousands of hours of community service and speaking engagements, etc. There's nothing to be gained from ruining a man forever when in his own mind he is already ruined, and there is little to no realistic chance of a repeat incident.

hossua34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2011, 10:20 AM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
Should have made him serve at least 2 years, how pathetic. I imagine Maggy would have enjoyed being an ambassador and watching the Hawks win the Cup with such a great young team.

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2011, 10:48 AM
SteenMachine

Quote:
Originally Posted by hossua34 View Post
It's just as pathetic and unappealing listening to people talk as though every person who drinks alcohol - ever - is a drunken loser. Get over yourself.

I think Ramage got off relatively easy because any normal person in a similar situation would have likely done more time. However, I think all things considered 10 months in jail is plenty to change a person's perspective, permanently. There are plenty of other punishments out there for people who are worried he didn't get his "just deserts" - pull his driver's license forever, make him do thousands of hours of community service and speaking engagements, etc. There's nothing to be gained from ruining a man forever when in his own mind he is already ruined, and there is little to no realistic chance of a repeat incident.
Yeah unless this all weighs down on him and he turns to alcohol in a culture that totally enables him. Then it's just part 2.

SteenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote