HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Coaching Discussion

Old
04-23-2011, 08:41 PM
Moses Doughty
LA's offense offends

vCash: 500
Coaching Discussion

Who replaces him(and your hopes of who)?

Obviously Stevens is a favorite. Others...

Kirk Muller
Willie Desjardin
John Torchetti
Mike Haviland

Probably Stevens though

Moses Doughty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 08:45 PM
Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I bet u trade me

Send a message via AIM to Cutty Sarkn3ss*
He's not going to be fired

Cutty Sarkn3ss* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 08:46 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

Ken Hithcock
Mike Keenan
Jacques Lemaire
Bob Hartley
Doug Maclean
Larry Robinson

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 08:46 PM
SMoneyMonkey

Muller \o/ they're all better than Murray in my book.

SMoneyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 08:48 PM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

vCash: 50
He won't be fired. If he is there's little doubt Stevens will get the job. If he is fired AND they don't hire Stevens, then Lombardi clearly shouldn't be the one handling the coaching position. He and Murray go hand in hand, there is no reason to give him a shot at a third coaching search.

Last edited by Live in the Now: 04-23-2011 at 08:53 PM.
Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 08:52 PM
TonySCV
One More Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moses Doughty View Post

Kirk Muller
Willie Desjardin
John Torchetti
Mike Haviland
John Torchetti? Are you kidding me?

See... herein lies the problem. I've yet to hear of a viable option that doesn't make me physically ill.

The Kings are a team that is going to contend for the next several years. At the minimum the coach should have proven NHL playoff success and ideally a Stanley Cup ring as well. You know... a guy like Terry Murray but not Terry Murray.

Picking a coach with no NHL playoff success (or experience for that matter) makes the odds high that the new coach will actually be worse than the one we have today (and spare me the thoughts and feelings subjective ******** about Murray if you're going to start arguing that some other guy with far less experience is going to be a better choice).

This is NOT the time or the team to be trying out an unproven coach just for funsies.

John Stevens is seemingly next in line, and aside from it being interesting to see how he fares at the helm of a team that actually has legit goaltending, I'm really not enthused about the idea of finding out.

The roster improvement alone next year will help the Kings tremendously.

TonySCV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 08:53 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Murray is not going to be fired.

He just signed an extension. He would have to miss the playoffs.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 08:54 PM
DAkings20
Kings can't score

Lol pipe dream

DAkings20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 08:55 PM
SMoneyMonkey

Can't risk an unproven coach, better to stick with the coach who has proven himself to be terrible

SMoneyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 08:56 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
Lombardi clearly shouldn't be the one handling the coaching position. He and Murray go hand in hand, there is no reason to give him a shot at a third coaching search.
Like letting Jeffrey Dahmer choose the main course.

But as others have said, Murray is going nowhere until Dean is gone. They go hand in hand.

Next year is win/win, either this team wins a round or 2 or both these guys can hit the road back to lesser jobs in Philly where they belong.

Old
04-23-2011, 08:58 PM
sjmay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
Like letting Jeffrey Dahmer choose the main course.

But as others have said, Murray is going nowhere until Dean is gone. They go hand in hand.

Next year is win/win, either this team wins a round or 2 or both these guys can hit the road back to lesser jobs in Philly where they belong.
LOL, you kill me, your intense dislike is so visceral, it's like they personally did something to screw you over...

Were you on the short list for either job?

sjmay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 09:00 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

vCash: 3733
Kurrilino seems to think he's got a good handle on coaching the kings, so, I would give him a shot. At the very least, he'll make it entertaining with just his quotes alone.

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 09:03 PM
Quattro

Quote:
Ken Hithcock - LOL
Mike Keenan LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
Jacques Lemaire - lol
Bob Hartley - LOLOL
Doug Maclean- lol
Larry Robinson - LOLOLOL

Quattro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 09:04 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

He won't be fired, I give him and Lombardi another year to improve the Kings. If things remain the same for yet another season, then some heads will roll. Every year we've heard the excuse of the Kings being young and inexperienced, but if they don't improve, they can't use that as an excuse any longer. Team management, coaches and players have to deliver next year.

As for other candidates, Rick Tocchet and Kevin Dineen are others who I think will be or should be coaching in the NHL. As for a replacement GM, although he is a part owner of the organization he manages, Warren Rychel has been very successful in his role as GM of the Windsor Spitfires.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 09:04 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattro View Post
I think he meant those names as jokes, considering Lombardi's history of hiring dinosaurs who are out of touch with today's NHL.

Old
04-23-2011, 09:05 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmay View Post
Were you on the short list for either job?
What is this, Dean Lombardi and Mike Murphy?

Sorry, I just hate the way this team has been built and coached. Sorry if I have a problem with a career losing GM who has two playoff series wins in a dozen years of managing NHL teams talking about "a culture of winning". Kind of like Charlie Rangel talking about ethics.

I think the wrong players have been traded, signed, given up on. In addition to management's hiring of two awful failure coaches And I think the wrong players have been put into the wrong situations at the coaching level by Murray, on top of simply baffling in-game decisions.

If this team wins a Stanley Cup with Lombardi and/or Murray feel free to flame me for eternity. I will happily take it. I think Lombardi's record as a GM and his inability to get far into the playoffs speaks for itself.

Old
04-23-2011, 09:06 PM
TwoForRoughing
Let's do it again!

Ryan Smyth

TwoForRoughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 09:06 PM
sjmay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
He won't be fired, I give him and Lombardi another year to improve the Kings. If things remain the same for yet another season, then some heads will roll. Every year we've heard the excuse of the Kings being young and inexperienced, but if they don't improve, they can't use that as an excuse any longer. Team management, coaches and players have to deliver next year.

As for other candidates, Rick Tocchet and Kevin Dineen are others who I think will be or should be coaching in the NHL. As for a replacement GM, although he is a part owner of the organization he manages, Warren Rychel has been very successful in his role as GM of the Windsor Spitfires.
I don't know about Rychel, being a GM n the O, is a ton different than being a GM in the NHL, it's almost completely different....

Not sure if you entrust someone with zero experience right away, I can see Hextall taking over if LA loses their patience with DL.

Old
04-23-2011, 09:09 PM
sjmay*

Quote:
What is this, Dean Lombardi and Mike Murphy?

Sorry, I just hate the way this team has been built and coached. Sorry if I have a problem with a career losing GM who has two playoff series wins in a dozen years of managing NHL teams talking about "a culture of winning". Kind of like Charlie Rangel talking about ethics.

I think the wrong players have been traded, signed, given up on. In addition to management's hiring of two awful failure coaches And I think the wrong players have been put into the wrong situations at the coaching level by Murray, on top of simply baffling in-game decisions.

If this team wins a Stanley Cup with Lombardi and/or Murray feel free to flame me for eternity. I will happily take it. I think Lombardi's record as a GM and his inability to get far into the playoffs speaks for itself.
LOL like I said, were you on the short list?

I mean, don't get me wrong, it's great to have an opinion, but you seemed to have let some sort of visceral dislike taint your opinion. It doesn't matter to you how bad the Kings were before DL came on board, it doesn't matter what shambles they were in. It doesn't matter that every other team have given up on players as well, or do the names Cam Neely, Markus Naslund, Robert Lang ring a bell?

It seems we have this "debate" all the time, and the only thing you can come up with his DL's previous record without recognizing what he has done with L.A.

Old
04-23-2011, 09:11 PM
Fishhead

Quote:

As for other candidates, Rick Tocchet and Kevin Dineen are others who I think will be or should be coaching in the NHL. .
Murray is not going to be let go before the end of next season barring a collapse.

IF the Kings were to go with a new coach however, Dineen is definitely someone I would consider. Someone else I would seriously consider is Ron Francis. The guy has a great mind for the game, and was a prototypical 2-way player.

Fishhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 09:13 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmay View Post
I don't know about Rychel, being a GM n the O, is a ton different than being a GM in the NHL, it's almost completely different....

Not sure if you entrust someone with zero experience right away, I can see Hextall taking over if LA loses their patience with DL.
Looking at the 2011 NHL GM of the Year candidates, two of the three did not have extensive experience as general managers. Mike Gillis of the Vancouver Canucks was a former player agent who was named GM in 2008, no prior GM experience. Steve Yzerman worked with Hockey Canada and had no experience at any level as a GM prior to his hiring last summer by the Tampa Bay Lightning.

Sometimes you have to think outside of the box to find success, and that is something our current management and coaches fail to do. This is not a team that adapts well to change, whether it be during the course of a game or to changes that have affected the way the game is played today.

Old
04-23-2011, 09:14 PM
TonySCV
One More Time

Quote:
Ken Hithcock
Mike Keenan
Jacques Lemaire
Bob Hartley
Doug Maclean
Larry Robinson
Hartley has committed to coach in Europe next season IIRC (2 year contract). Lemaire and Robinson are retired. Maclean hasn't got nearly a good enough resume.

Hitchcock and Keenan are available.

Hitchcock is pretty much the definition of Terry Murray but not Terry Murray.

Kennan's credentials are certainly impressive. He's got a lot of controversial baggage with him.

Quote:
I think he meant those names as jokes
Heh. Think again.

TonySCV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Fishhead

Quote:

Sorry, I just hate the way this team has been built and coached.
DL has his shortcomings, but I think you would be hard pressed to find any professionals league-wide that would agree with this.

Fishhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Josh Deitell
Hockey's Future Staff

Anyone who worked with the Flyers in the last 20 years is a reasonable choice. Out of that group, Tocchet is my favorite.

Boughner is an interesting option as well. Mark Reeds, OHL coach of the year for Owen Sound, could also be in the mix, as the Kings and OS have worked hand in hand in recent years.

Josh Deitell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2011, 09:16 PM
sjmay*

Quote:
Looking at the 2011 NHL GM of the Year candidates, two of the three did not have extensive experience as general managers. Mike Gillis of the Vancouver Canucks was a former player agent who was named GM in 2008, no prior GM experience. Steve Yzerman worked with Hockey Canada and had no experience at any level as a GM prior to his hiring last summer by the Tampa Bay Lightning.

Sometimes you have to think outside of the box to find success, and that is something our current management and coaches fail to do. This is not a team that adapts well to change, whether it be during the course of a game or to changes that have affected the way the game is played today.
As much a I like Yzerman,

NEITHER of those guys have built a team, Gillis inherited pretty much everyone he got there, same with Yzerman. They have made some pretty good moves, but neither has proven to build anything.