HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game 5-Nashville Predators @ Vancouver Canucks (CBC, Team 1040, 5:00pm)

Closed Thread

Old
05-06-2011, 01:32 PM
Momesso

vCash: 500
I don't see any reason to hate Nashville fans. IMO no difference between many Canuck fans, and I can even admit that I've been there before (and may go there again - depending on what the future holds).

They're real hockey fans though. You won't get that kind of bitterness from casual fans.

=============

I fully expect a raucous 1st period. The Canucks may have to be the ones to weather the storm in the first few minutes, but I expect them to play hard as hell for the whole 60 minutes.

I expect (*hope*) we'll be able to get a lead and then watch Nashville sag as we cruise to a 4-1 win or something along those lines. I expect this one to be our best game for the series.

Old
05-06-2011, 01:41 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Nashville fans are real fans, same as any other team. To say anything less of them smacks of elitism. Nashville has a pretty loyal following and their fanbase, in general, has been incredibly well mannered in this series so far. So let's show them a bit of respect be it on here, their board or the main boards.

Onto Game 5...

What does Ryan Kesler do for an encore? Hopefully he has a few more big goals left in him for Saturday. Another encouraging sign was the Sedin Twins having another solid outting. Now that Hank has finally hit the scoreboard, here's hoping Daniel puts a biscuit in the basket on Saturday.

Old
05-06-2011, 01:43 PM
KDizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momesso View Post
I don't see any reason to hate Nashville fans. IMO no difference between many Canuck fans, and I can even admit that I've been there before (and may go there again - depending on what the future holds).

They're real hockey fans though. You won't get that kind of bitterness from casual fans.

=============

I fully expect a raucous 1st period. The Canucks may have to be the ones to weather the storm in the first few minutes, but I expect them to play hard as hell for the whole 60 minutes.

I expect (*hope*) we'll be able to get a lead and then watch Nashville sag as we cruise to a 4-1 win or something along those lines. I expect this one to be our best game for the series.
Lead or no lead in the game, I want the Canucks to forecheck hard and cause havoc in the neutral zone. We'll see if they truly learned from the Chicago series and the games where they've nursed a one goal lead and lost/had to win in OT (i.e. every single damn one-goal game in the playoffs lol).

Old
05-06-2011, 01:50 PM
John Swartzwelder
MOAR TUFFNESS!!!1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan It Up View Post
Malhotra is going to be a coach somewhere in 10 years. Book it.
I have a feeling he'll be a coach for Vancouver

Old
05-06-2011, 01:54 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Swartzwelder View Post
I have a feeling he'll be a coach for Vancouver
Wouldn't surprise me at all. Glad to see he's with the team and still offering input and support; he seems like a great guy in the room.

Old
05-06-2011, 02:01 PM
jimmythescot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancouver_2010 View Post
yeah, and i still couldnt get why Samuelsson continues to be the back-end player during the pp, when there is so many options in the defense for AV to choose, even without Ballard in!
Remember during the regular season when Rome was getting PP minutes? While Ballard was on the bench? Good times.

Old
05-06-2011, 02:03 PM
VanEric

PP has been really good the last couple games and Samuelsson's a part of that. His 5 on 5 play has been brutal but the last two games, he's moving the puck around well on the PP.

Old
05-06-2011, 02:03 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
Nashville fans are real fans, same as any other team. To say anything less of them smacks of elitism. Nashville has a pretty loyal following and their fanbase, in general, has been incredibly well mannered in this series so far. So let's show them a bit of respect be it on here, their board or the main boards.
But those gold t-shirts. YIKES!!!

Mind you better the fans than a team wearing them I suppose.

Old
05-06-2011, 02:12 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmythescot View Post
Remember during the regular season when Rome was getting PP minutes? While Ballard was on the bench? Good times.
Could be worse.

Could be Bryon Ritchie at the point.

Leading scorer this past season for Modo:

http://hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagu...014322011.html

(man, that team must be horrible )

Old
05-06-2011, 02:23 PM
jimmythescot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
Could be worse.

Could be Bryon Ritchie at the point.

Leading scorer this past season for Modo:

http://hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagu...014322011.html

(man, that team must be horrible )
Sign that guy up! He's probably the next Fabian Brunnstrom!

Byron is one of those guys that has melded into a horrible chimera of Canuck prospects in my mind.

Old
05-06-2011, 02:34 PM
vadim sharifijanov

here's the thing. eventually, if we want to win the cup, rome has to come out and ballard has to come in.

and i do not doubt that at some point this will happen, preferably not when AV and bones' backs are against the wall with the season and possibly their jobs on the line.

so i am almost finding myself rooting for a big nashville win tomorrow. better to lose a game now against a nashville team that all told isn't that dangerous than to burn a game in the next round against a san jose team that can be explosive.

Old
05-06-2011, 02:42 PM
Trends Analyst
Squirrel!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadim sharifijanov View Post
here's the thing. eventually, if we want to win the cup, rome has to come out and ballard has to come in.

and i do not doubt that at some point this will happen, preferably not when AV and bones' backs are against the wall with the season and possibly their jobs on the line.

so i am almost finding myself rooting for a big nashville win tomorrow. better to lose a game now against a nashville team that all told isn't that dangerous than to burn a game in the next round against a san jose team that can be explosive.
Forget that, thats just silly. The needs of the many, outweigh the needs of the few. The many, in this case being every player on our team that is banged up needing a break going into the next round. Look at what happened last round when we took our foot of the gas, it almost resulted in the biggest choke in professional sports history. We are not winning or losing because one of those guys is in over the other.

Old
05-06-2011, 02:44 PM
Uhmkay
Weber2Canucks2013

Quote:

I'm hoping that after how horrible Rome and Glass were in Game 4 that he's going to make the switch for game 5. I can't think of any reason in the world that he's using Rome over Ballard... Ballard is better in every way than Rome, in every aspect of the game. Rome is brutal. He's a good guy to have in the pressbox as a #7 or 8... just in case.

The only thing that I can think is that maybe AV (This is a stretch maybe) is using this to keep guys on the tiptoes to perform at their absolute best because they know someone is right behind them that is dying to get in.... a stretch maybe or is AV just an idiot?

Old
05-06-2011, 03:00 PM
Nazzy-19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhmkay View Post
I'm hoping that after how horrible Rome and Glass were in Game 4 that he's going to make the switch for game 5. I can't think of any reason in the world that he's using Rome over Ballard... Ballard is better in every way than Rome, in every aspect of the game. Rome is brutal. He's a good guy to have in the pressbox as a #7 or 8... just in case.

The only thing that I can think is that maybe AV (This is a stretch maybe) is using this to keep guys on the tiptoes to perform at their absolute best because they know someone is right behind them that is dying to get in.... a stretch maybe or is AV just an idiot?
I think AV is just an idiot. It's hard to play at your absolute best when you sit multiple games in a row.

Old
05-06-2011, 03:24 PM
Samzilla

Let's be fair. Rome's alright. Let's not make him out to be worse than he is. But yes, from my armchair p.o.v, icing Rome when you have Ballard as on option is mystifying. It's like, if someone offered me $10 bucks, that would be alright. But if they were offering me a choice between $10 and $15, I'd be silly not to take the $15.

Plus, after last night, maybe Rome will realize he has to hustle for those open pucks in the defensive zone and pick his game up a step.

Old
05-06-2011, 03:28 PM
Eddy Punch Clock
Gold Jerry!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samzilla View Post
It's like, if someone offered me $10 bucks, that would be alright. But if they were offering me a choice between $10 and $15, I'd be silly not to take the $15.
I guess math, or the value of money, is not AV's forte.

Old
05-06-2011, 03:31 PM
Tiranis

Perhaps AV believes that you have a lesser chance of getting robbed if you take the $10 and can't forget that you also lose less money than if you took the $15.

Old
05-06-2011, 03:45 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samzilla View Post
Let's be fair. Rome's alright. Let's not make him out to be worse than he is. But yes, from my armchair p.o.v, icing Rome when you have Ballard as on option is mystifying. It's like, if someone offered me $10 bucks, that would be alright. But if they were offering me a choice between $10 and $15, I'd be silly not to take the $15.

Plus, after last night, maybe Rome will realize he has to hustle for those open pucks in the defensive zone and pick his game up a step.
Agreed. Rome isn't a bad player and (IMO) hasn't looked truly awful at all in the playoffs. He's had some gaffes each game, but no more than you'd expect from a 6th man. What does irk me to some degree is that I do honestly feel Ballard is the better player, and it is a mystery to me as to why he sits. I don't buy the theory that the coaching staff are morons and I'm sure whatever their reason is, it's good. But it's baffling to watch as a fan.

Old
05-06-2011, 03:54 PM
NYVanfan

i cant believe some of the nonsense in this thread
we hope they lose tomorrow, so Rome & Glass are out?

we are up 3-1
whatever you say about AVs lineup choices, they are working. Rome was an even player thru over 13 mins, with a min shorthanded (more than Edler), with a shot, a hit and a couple blocks.

He's somewhat interchangable with Alberts it seems, but when they make it thru (knocks wood), and using the grit vs Nashville makes sense to me. I would be surprised if you didnt see AV use Ballard vs SJ, which suits his game better.

If nothing else, rotating those guys keeps the overall corps fresher. I have no problem with AV as long as he keeps producing results.

Old
05-06-2011, 04:08 PM
vadim sharifijanov

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYVanfan View Post
i cant believe some of the nonsense in this thread
we hope they lose tomorrow, so Rome & Glass are out?

we are up 3-1
whatever you say about AVs lineup choices, they are working. Rome was an even player thru over 13 mins, with a min shorthanded (more than Edler), with a shot, a hit and a couple blocks.

He's somewhat interchangable with Alberts it seems, but when they make it thru (knocks wood), and using the grit vs Nashville makes sense to me. I would be surprised if you didnt see AV use Ballard vs SJ, which suits his game better.

If nothing else, rotating those guys keeps the overall corps fresher. I have no problem with AV as long as he keeps producing results.
Quote:

my worry is that what is working against nashville, and what only barely worked against chicago, may not work against san jose. is it worth losing a game in the conference finals for ballard to come back in? i just hope it doesn't come to that.

Old
05-06-2011, 04:15 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

I don't want the Canucks to lose, period. If we're winning with Rome in the lineup, so be it. As long as we win.

Old
05-06-2011, 04:34 PM
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas

If you look at our forwards,

Kes and Bur are at the top of their game, hard to see how they can improve given how they've played.

Henrik and Daniel are trying hard with limited results - we have upside there.

Hansen Higgins and Lappy can hopefully keep up their good work.

Torres seems to be getting back on track after a terrible series against the Hawks, and has the potential to make valuable contributions to the team.

Raymond I don't hold much hope for offensively but if he can keep playing solid two way hockey, I'd be happy with that.

Samuelsson can do better but will he?

Glass is just in over his head. Oreskovich deserves to play ahead of Glass for his speed and puck handling alone.

Hodgson is a little overmatched overall but could be better utilized if he had linemates who could actually generate offence.

Tambellini I have no clue why he's not played a single game as he could easily be in the top 9 ahead of Raymond for a couple of reasons: will make, not kill plays. And won't be afraid to get his nose dirty. Plus he's been responsible defensively all season. Hasn't played in a month though...

So my lines for Saturday would be:

Henrik Daniel Burrows
Higgins Kesler Tambellini
Torres Lapierre Hansen
Oreskovich Raymond Samuelsson

Old
05-06-2011, 04:46 PM
Vancouver_2010
Go Canucks & Oilers

Thanks for the input on the GDT. I honestly thought its kind of funny when i started it, I guess I am just high from the Vancouver Canucks victory (not from any drugs)

Old
05-06-2011, 04:46 PM
KDizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
I don't want the Canucks to lose, period. If we're winning with Rome in the lineup, so be it. As long as we win.
Yesterday near the end it was really that we won in spite of Rome. That flurry in the offensive zone due to his staring a the puck then just blindly dumping it around the boards could've easily lead to a goal.

If Ballard did that, he'd be out for the next series. I want AV or Bones or whoever to stop having such a blatant double standard... all because Ballard is 5'11" or whatever and Rome is 2 inches taller and therefore more "physical" .

Old
05-06-2011, 04:49 PM
Vancouver_2010
Go Canucks & Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDizzle View Post
Yesterday near the end it was really that we won in spite of Rome. That flurry in the offensive zone due to his staring a the puck then just blindly dumping it around the boards could've easily lead to a goal.

If Ballard did that, he'd be out for the next series. I want AV or Bones or whoever to stop having such a blatant double standard... all because Ballard is 5'11" or whatever and Rome is 2 inches taller and therefore more "physical" .
Exactly, I almost want him to suffer a minor injury so AV cannot play him. No one in the right mind will play Rome at the last few minutes, AV is an idiot whom should be fired much earlier.

Nor should the Sedins be signed, let alone one of them being named captain, if its not Kesler and Burrows then we will be golfing already.

Closed Thread