HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Leading up to Gm 4: How many actually remember the 95 Sharks/Wings series?

Old
05-05-2011, 10:46 AM
ChompChomp
SACK T-MAC

vCash: 500
Leading up to Gm 4: How many actually remember the 95 Sharks/Wings series?

Everyone remembers the 94 series against the Wings and the big upset, but how many here, besides myself, vividly remember the 95 WCSF series against the Wings?

I know I do. My little brother calls it the "tennis series." A sweep by the Wings with the scores of 6-0, 6-2, 6-2, 6-2. From the opening faceoff of each game, the Sharks never had a chance. Most of the Sharks PP's actually looked like Wings PP's because the Wings were so good and so far and away better than the Sharks that the Wings were owning the Sharks 4 on 5.

The Sharks would go on to miss the playoffs for a couple of seasons after that and do a major rebuild before making the playoffs the next time in 1998.

It was by the far the worst humiliation I've ever seen as a Sharks fan in the playoffs. At least the sweep last year to the Hawks were in tight games. This series in 95 wasn't even close. I can hardly remember in the 20 years of Sharks existence any team in the NHL playoffs getting pwned that badly in a series. Can anyone else cite a sweep where a team dominated that badly (outscoring the opposition 24-6) since, say, 91-92? Since 2000?

I mention it because last year I hoped we'd finally get retribution, but Nabby stunk it up in Game 4 and we lost bad. I hope this year is different because even though we won last year's series, IMHO, I feel like the Sharks never did get payback for 1995. I want it now, even though it's been a very tight series.

Anyone else remember that series like it was yesterday?

ChompChomp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 10:55 AM
Hold the Pickles

Yeah, I remember. I always looked at that as Detroits payback for the the year before though.

We were entirely inept in that series. It was so obvious we were done partly through game 3, that I gave my game 4 ticket away... and I'm the type of fan that stays until the last second, even if we're down by 5 goals.

Hold the Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 11:04 AM
KzooShark

Oh, that was an ugly week. I got a little more mouthy as a 15 year old in Michigan after the 1994 series and paid dearly for it. Still have a soft spot in my heart for the Devils for sweeping the Wings out and delaying their first modern cup two more years.

KzooShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 11:14 AM
SJSharkzie

I'm glad I was only 4 in 1995 and do not recall anything.

SJSharkzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 11:18 AM
Nighthock
**** the Kings...

vCash: 163
Yes, I remember ... still trying to forget.

What I remeber the most is the slash to the back of Wade Flaherty's leg. By whom, I can't recall, but that still pisses me off.

Nighthock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 11:27 AM
USF Shark
ZŰion politikÚn

yeah, that Fox robot got a work-out in that series

Old
05-05-2011, 12:33 PM
DutchSharksfan11

yes! here in the netherlands back then we only had a weekly show, about 60 minutes, where you could see hockey. this whas the first year i saw nhl and the sharks and became a fan...
so this series i will always remember so i hope they sweep detroit this play offs...

DutchSharksfan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 12:42 PM
CrazedZooChimp
Not enough guts

vCash: 1875
Send a message via AIM to CrazedZooChimp
I prefer to only remember the Calgary series from that year. Whitney scoring in game 7 Double OT never gets enough credit for being one of the biggest goals in Sharks history.

I remembered the Detroit series was bad, and I don't think I even watched all of it it was so bad. But I always think of that as Detroits revenge for '94, and that we don't owe them any revenge for that, no matter how bad it was.

CrazedZooChimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 12:54 PM
ClicheGuevara

Yeah.. that sucked. Didn't Mike Rathje have a 2 goal game that series? It was on his birthday too.

ClicheGuevara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 02:12 PM
ChompChomp
SACK T-MAC

I think the Wings beating the Sharks in 95 was revenge, but the humiliation IMHO has still to be answered. Even though this isn't a thumping, a sweep here would for me feel like some kind of revenge [for the humilation of it all, not necessarily the result] for 95, especially when you combine with the series last year. A win tomorrow and Wings fans will look back at this series and last year's series combined and feel somewhat like how we did in 95 after the tennis series, that's my thought on this.

Old
05-05-2011, 02:28 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChompChomp View Post
I think the Wings beating the Sharks in 95 was revenge, but the humiliation IMHO has still to be answered. Even though this isn't a thumping, a sweep here would for me feel like some kind of revenge [for the humilation of it all, not necessarily the result] for 95, especially when you combine with the series last year. A win tomorrow and Wings fans will look back at this series and last year's series combined and feel somewhat like how we did in 95 after the tennis series, that's my thought on this.
It pretty much counts since we did it twice in a row. (not a sweep, but beat them quick). I'll feel vindicated if we win this in 4 or 5. Especially cause my wings fans friends are pretty embarrassed already eheh.

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 02:33 PM
ChompChomp
SACK T-MAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
It pretty much counts since we did it twice in a row. (not a sweep, but beat them quick). I'll feel vindicated if we win this in 4 or 5. Especially cause my wings fans friends are pretty embarrassed already eheh.
Oh ok, I don't have Wings fans friends so I don't know what they are thinking.

Old
05-05-2011, 02:40 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChompChomp View Post
Oh ok, I don't have Wings fans friends so I don't know what they are thinking.
I have one pretty good friend who's a wings fan, and a co-worker. The friend fell asleep last night and though the Wings won. He didn't realize they lost until today. He was feeling pretty good about himself and I'm going "Dude, you lost, why are you happy?" and he goes "Wait, what?"

It was awesome.

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 05:02 PM
Wedontneedroads

vCash: 374
That very same year!!!!

Detroit got WORKED in those finals by New Jersey.

Lost the last two game in NJ by a combined score of 10-3 or somethin (fact check?).

I remember this vividly because i was still pissed about what they did to the sharks in round 1 that year.

Wedontneedroads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 05:07 PM
Zaffy

Quote:
I have one pretty good friend who's a wings fan, and a co-worker. The friend fell asleep last night and though the Wings won. He didn't realize they lost until today. He was feeling pretty good about himself and I'm going "Dude, you lost, why are you happy?" and he goes "Wait, what?"

It was awesome.
Our mutual friend who's deployed in Iraq right now is a wings fan too. I'm not sure if he knows what is going on in the hockey world though.

Zaffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 05:49 PM
StalockSuperfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJSharkzie View Post
I'm glad I was only 4 in 1995 and do not recall anything.
Haha same here.

StalockSuperfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 06:13 PM
KpopandHockey
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:

It was awesome.
Wonder if there were any kings fans like that after they went up 4-0 in game 3.

KpopandHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 06:13 PM
rideaucrusher21

I remember that series, I attended game 3. Coming off the high of the series before, it sucked to be smashed down to Earth by a far superior wings team.

rideaucrusher21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 06:19 PM
Derick*

Send a message via MSN to Derick*
Though I called myself a Sharks fan and made my mom by me sharks paraphanalia since as long as I can remember, I didn't actually watch the team with any regularity until the 2000 playoffs, when I was ten. So... no, afraid not.

Derick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 06:21 PM
burple

I remember that series too. Rathje had a really nice one-time goal from the slot, one of the few positive moments.

The whole series was sad for me because Makarov was clearly done. The extended time off during the lockout did a number on his conditioning and he was just not the same player he'd been only a year before. It was sad.

burple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 06:37 PM
SC2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by burple View Post
I remember that series too. Rathje had a really nice one-time goal from the slot, one of the few positive moments.

The whole series was sad for me because Makarov was clearly done. The extended time off during the lockout did a number on his conditioning and he was just not the same player he'd been only a year before. It was sad.
Lol, I was going to mention Rathje too. I remember him having probably his best offensive output in the playoffs that series.

SC2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 08:50 PM
krudmonk

I remember Flaherty, Whitney and the series before that a lot better. Wonder why that is...

krudmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 09:05 PM
fxhomie

I had season tix that year and attended the playoffs. Gave the season tix up the next year. :-)

fxhomie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 01:04 AM
AngeLinTeal
Tealcat

I remember that was the very first year I ever heard about the Sharks.....I was 5 and can remember it clearly......it was on the Spanish News

AngeLinTeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 08:01 AM
WedgeAntilles*

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
I remember Flaherty, Whitney and the series before that a lot better. Wonder why that is...
Wasn't that the year they went up 2-0 on Calgary, then lost 3 straight, then came back to win the last 2?

WedgeAntilles* is offline   Reply With Quote