HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

would be happy with JEAN-SEBASTIEN GIGUERE?

Old
05-06-2011, 02:41 PM
CptCannon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiLLY_ShOE1721 View Post
I'd love to have Bryzgalov, but when is the last time this team signed a Russian(with NHL experience), in free agency? It's a trick question, the Flyers have never signed a player born in Russia with NHL experience in free agency. In fact, the only Russian player the Flyers have ever signed themselves was Bobrovsky. I just looked this up on flyershistory.com.
Zherdev last summer?

CptCannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 02:43 PM
46zone
Guttersnipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Russians still love Stalin. True story.
Oh, I believe you. Back when I was in school I knew a few that still thought highly of him and this was the late 90s.

46zone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 02:43 PM
whatthef
Failure is an Option

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Depends how cold blooded they are... Rask is extremely good himself, so it isn't like they're going to have a major talent drop if they were to move Thomas. Additionally, now is clearly the year to move Thomas coming off of this season. That's a move that requires some brass balls, and Thomas' approval, however.
I agree about Rask. Personally I would rather have him than Thomas. You're probably right now is likely the time to move Thomas but you're also right about needing brass balls and I totally forgot about the NTC. Plus I'm not all together sure there is a team that has or is will to give up what it would take for Boston to move him. All in all there are about a dozen reasons I don't think either of them are moving this summer so it's kind of moot.

whatthef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 02:46 PM
whatthef
Failure is an Option

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46zone View Post
I once made the mistake of saying to a Ukrainian girl that "Ukrainians and Russians are basically the same"...I was then verbally **** on by her and her friends. The USSR, namely Stalin, was starving the Ukrainians in the 1930s and they ended up killing 1-2 million people. Hell, when the Nazis invaded the eastern front the Ukrainians thought they were being liberated.
Oh I'm sure that Ukrainians feel that way and hate being lumped in with Russia like that. But I also am pretty sure Snider and the Flyers upper management still think the Cold War is still going on and that the USSR is still intact so I still count it.

Old
05-06-2011, 02:51 PM
Jester

Quote:
Oh, I believe you. Back when I was in school I knew a few that still thought highly of him and this was the late 90s.
In a poll like last year (maybe the year before) they voted him one of the greatest Russians ever.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008...name-of-russia

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 02:59 PM
tarrin8

best available goalies in FA
1-bryz - (if the team stays he will resign)
2-volkoun
3-roloson - (probly will resign)
4-hedberg
5-Emery
6-turco
7-JSG
8-Theodore
9-leclaire - BIG GAMBLE
10-Harding - was once a top porspect, but never given much chance, but he was injured all year so could be rusty

or could trade for:
nabokov - geting older and barely played all eyar
varlamov - still developing but i ca see the caps trading him or holtby this summer/draft
Niitty - if SJ will trade him
thomas - not likely but for the right offer every1 could be traded

and for rask i really doubt he will be traded as he will be taking over the #1 soon and thomas only plays 40-50 games a year so who else will play the rest?

tarrin8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 03:05 PM
Jester

I very much doubt TB is looking at Roloson as their no. 1 option this summer.

Old
05-06-2011, 03:25 PM
phillyfanatic

Quote:
I very much doubt TB is looking at Roloson as their no. 1 option this summer.
Agreed. Vokoun seems destined for Tampa IMO

phillyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 03:26 PM
whatthef
Failure is an Option

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarrin8 View Post
best available goalies in FA
1-bryz - (if the team stays he will resign)
2-volkoun
3-roloson - (probly will resign)
4-hedberg
5-Emery
6-turco
7-JSG
8-Theodore
9-leclaire - BIG GAMBLE

10-Harding - was once a top porspect, but never given much chance, but he was injured all year so could be rusty

or could trade for:
nabokov - geting older and barely played all eyar
varlamov - still developing but i ca see the caps trading him or holtby this summer/draft
Niitty - if SJ will trade him
thomas - not likely but for the right offer every1 could be traded

and for rask i really doubt he will be traded as he will be taking over the #1 soon and thomas only plays 40-50 games a year so who else will play the rest?
I don't think Thomas is going anywhere. I don't know that Nitty is going to be traded and I doubt we'd go down that road again.

I don't believe that LeClaire, Theodore, JSG, Turco, Emery, or Hedberg are much if any of an upgrade over what we have. LeClaire is the definition of injury prone so even if he plays well I don't think that we want to go that direction. JSG and Turco are well past their prime at this point and should be no more than a decent back up. Hedberg is a good career back up just like Boucher and I think we saw how that turned out. No thanks. I like Emery he's got skill, he's over come attitude problems, and has massive will (see his rehab) but that hip scares the crap out of me so I don't think so.

That leaves Harding, Roloson, Nabokov, Varlamov/Holtby, Vokoun, and Bryz. If the Coyotes stay in Phoenix I also believe Bryz will resign there. I think it's possible that Varlamov or Holtby might be traded, not sure that Caps would trade him to the Flyers though but I would consider it if the Caps were open to it. I always liked Harding but he missed a year and he never been a starter so that's a gamble though for the right price I would give it a try. Nabokov could be had and has a nice cap hit. He didn't play much this year and wasn't great in the KHL plus his age. It's another gamble but the Russian factor could be good for Bob. Again I would be willing to try it. Vokoun is a great goalie I've been a fan since he was a Pred. Not sure what he's looking for as far as contract, but I'd be interested though keeping in mind he'll be 35 at the start of the season I would be willing to give him a huge contract in years or dollars (like 2 or 3 at maybe 4 million?). I wouldn't be surprised if Tampa resign Roloson and though he's playing well frankly his age scares me. I wouldn't give him more than a one year contract.

All in all I don't see a whole lot of legit options for a starting goalie.

Old
05-06-2011, 03:35 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfanatic View Post
Agreed. Vokoun seems destined for Tampa IMO
Nah, I think Bryz makes a ton of sense for them. Vokoun you don't want to lock up all that long-term... whereas Bryz can presumably solidify the position for 4-5 years.

Old
05-06-2011, 04:44 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatthef View Post
I don't think Thomas is going anywhere. I don't know that Nitty is going to be traded and I doubt we'd go down that road again.

I don't believe that LeClaire, Theodore, JSG, Turco, Emery, or Hedberg are much if any of an upgrade over what we have. LeClaire is the definition of injury prone so even if he plays well I don't think that we want to go that direction. JSG and Turco are well past their prime at this point and should be no more than a decent back up. Hedberg is a good career back up just like Boucher and I think we saw how that turned out. No thanks. I like Emery he's got skill, he's over come attitude problems, and has massive will (see his rehab) but that hip scares the crap out of me so I don't think so.

That leaves Harding, Roloson, Nabokov, Varlamov/Holtby, Vokoun, and Bryz. If the Coyotes stay in Phoenix I also believe Bryz will resign there. I think it's possible that Varlamov or Holtby might be traded, not sure that Caps would trade him to the Flyers though but I would consider it if the Caps were open to it. I always liked Harding but he missed a year and he never been a starter so that's a gamble though for the right price I would give it a try. Nabokov could be had and has a nice cap hit. He didn't play much this year and wasn't great in the KHL plus his age. It's another gamble but the Russian factor could be good for Bob. Again I would be willing to try it. Vokoun is a great goalie I've been a fan since he was a Pred. Not sure what he's looking for as far as contract, but I'd be interested though keeping in mind he'll be 35 at the start of the season I would be willing to give him a huge contract in years or dollars (like 2 or 3 at maybe 4 million?). I wouldn't be surprised if Tampa resign Roloson and though he's playing well frankly his age scares me. I wouldn't give him more than a one year contract.

All in all I don't see a whole lot of legit options for a starting goalie.
Emery is a much better option then what we have right now

RJ8812 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 05:12 PM
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28

vCash: 300
Really Want:
Bryzgalov
Vokoun

Sort of Want
Harding
Nabakov
Roloson
Theodore

King Forsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 05:19 PM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timonen View Post
Really Want:
Bryzgalov
Vokoun

Sort of Want
Harding
Nabakov
Roloson
Theodore
Unsure on Harding & Theodore. As in, I really don't want them unless all else fails miserably.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 05:19 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 4800
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptCannon View Post
Zherdev last summer?
He's Ukranian.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 05:40 PM
JVR21
G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timonen View Post
Really Want:
Bryzgalov
Vokoun

Sort of Want
Harding
Nabakov
Roloson
Theodore
Of those possibly available:

Want:
Bryzgalov
Vokoun
Roloson
Schneider
Varlamov
Bernier

Do Not Want:
Any other option

JVR21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 05:53 PM
46zone
Guttersnipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by infidelappel View Post
Unsure on Harding & Theodore. As in, I really don't want them unless all else fails miserably.
I'd rather go back with Bob than either of those two.

Old
05-06-2011, 06:01 PM
duffy9748

Bryz/Vokoun or bust. I wouldn't mind a trade for a big name goalie either. As long as it doesn't involve Richards/Giroux/JVR/Mez

duffy9748 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 06:03 PM
infidelappel*

Quote:
I'd rather go back with Bob than either of those two.
If you wind up with those two, you're basically going with split starts with Bob, and not a clear starter/backup relationship.

Which isn't bad, if we're deciding to invest in Bob. If our options are Bob/BoucherorLeighton or taking a chance on Harding, I guess I wouldn't mind going Bob/Harding.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 06:56 PM
ShotScore*

There's only one goalie I want this off-season and his name is Ilya Bryzgalov.

ShotScore* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 07:51 PM
Gibbs18

Ilya Bryzgalov should be the target. He is the best free agent avaliable.

Gibbs18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 08:03 PM
46zone
Guttersnipe

Fitting Bryz in will be pretty difficult and if the Coyotes stay in Phoenix it's likely that he stays.

Vokoun seems like the perfect fit to me.

Old
05-06-2011, 11:51 PM
tarrin8

Quote:
Nah, I think Bryz makes a ton of sense for them. Vokoun you don't want to lock up all that long-term... whereas Bryz can presumably solidify the position for 4-5 years.
well what do u guys want ? to have a good vet like volkoun for 2-3 years and let bob develop or sign bryz for 4-5 years and leave bob as backup ?

Quote:
Fitting Bryz in will be pretty difficult and if the Coyotes stay in Phoenix it's likely that he stays.

Vokoun seems like the perfect fit to me.
well i herd were supposed to know what will happen with phoenix on wednesday... and i think it would be best for bob to have a good vet like volkoun for 2-3 years to help him out and let him develop then to sign bryz long term but i think bryz will take the money and run(as long as the place isnt cold like winnipeg or edmonton) so he could end up TB or possibly russia(even thos its just as cold as winnipeg) the flyers need to free up some cap space even tho zherdev and odonnel probly wont be resigned you save 3.3 mill but giroux goes from .8 to 3.75 so your back to almost no cap space

Last edited by tarrin8: 05-07-2011 at 12:05 AM.
tarrin8 is offline   Reply With Quote