HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sandy

Closed Thread

Old
07-14-2004, 04:16 PM
Janerixon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by little a from da bx
sucker punch, i know what u are talking about, and u know what obvoiusley u did not look at the whole picture.... cairns suckered rucinsky in the face ... you can read right RUCINSKY....so dale cheap shotted him an eye for and eye dale hangs with the best of them, he fights for his teammates he deserves respect not a knonck from someone like u who probably wouldnt even attempt to do what he does. sorry for the aggressive post but it pisses me off when people knock these guys they go out and play for there team mates they deserve respect...
yeah obviously u did not see the game vs the thrashers were purinton suckered one of their players, for no reason, im pretty sure it was sutton, but dale waited til he was looking the other way and started throwing punches, then sutton got him back and dale missed the rest of the game

there is no use for a player who does that especially on a team of kids, we need a legit enforcer who will protect them the right way, as for cairns, dale could have just fought him straight up instead of being a punk and sneaking him, regardless of whether or not it was the right thing to do, what goes around comes around, dale snuck two people this season, it wont be forgotten and dale better change his ways or he wont be playing much at all

Old
07-14-2004, 04:27 PM
Edge

This debate might have been conceivable after Sandy left NY the first time.

But after watching him in Boston (which was sad to watch} and then watching him do NOTHING after he was brought back, I can't even believe this would be considered by anyone.

The guy can't really score, he CANNOT fight anymore. He doesn't want to fight anymore {you could see it on his face at the end of the season}. The way he played, you'd think he wasn't a guy who was just waived and had some kind of guranteed contract next season.

Sandy is done, simple as that. He was done when he left, he's twice as done now.

It happens a lot to fighters, the simply get tired of fighting. And even when he does fight, his victories are becoming fewer and further between.

Old
07-14-2004, 04:31 PM
sickboy35

anybody who's been on here for the last two three years whatever its been, knows i was one of dale purinton's biggest supporters on this board, me,true blue and handful of others. with that being said, some of the things dale did last year really bothered me. he suckered a couple of guys, boston, atlanta and he did what he had to do against cairns, but he didn't take care of brasher from running any of our players, flat out chickened out against cairns in one game and was not the smartest when it came to picking his time in fights. he would do them when he shouldn't be and wouldn't when he should be. confused? so i'am. my point is that the kid they got from vancouver can handle alot of the clowns we got from the east. he's big and he's mean. brashear might not feel so froggy when he plays the rangers with grenier in the line up. he's certainly not afraid of dale i can tell you that much. dale was a desprerate fighter last year, he had to jump alot of the fighters he fought with just to get an advantage and when you start doing that your pretty much finished as a fighter in my book! so lets bring on grenier, he's at least something we can say we got for rucinsky!

Old
07-14-2004, 04:36 PM
Edge

I'll be honest with you, I've never been a big fan of Purinton as a fighter. For a guy who is 6'3, 220 pounds he just doesn't have that fear factor. He was always more of a wild/pest kinda guy than a guy who could put legit fear into other players.

On any level he was never seen as a "great" fighter and that's going back to his WHL days.

Fighting around the league is becoming a joke with all these meatheads trying to make careers out there and looking more like skating turds than NHL players. Even the "big" boys wouldn't last two seconds in the 1980's. Brashear's little "huggy huggy, don't hit me" routine never would have flown in the 1980's. He would have been laughed off the ice. A big guy like that who looks deathly afraid at getting hit?

But the NHL is what the NHL is at this point. You know it's sad when Chris Simon is the closest thing this team has had to a legit enforcer since probably Kocur or Domi {and I liked Simon and Langdon mind you}.

Old
07-14-2004, 05:39 PM
Danny Clark

Maybe the Rangers can talk Link Gaetz out of retirement, provided he wins the gladiator battles of course.

Old
07-14-2004, 07:29 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
This debate might have been conceivable after Sandy left NY the first time.

But after watching him in Boston (which was sad to watch} and then watching him do NOTHING after he was brought back, I can't even believe this would be considered by anyone.

The guy can't really score, he CANNOT fight anymore. He doesn't want to fight anymore {you could see it on his face at the end of the season}. The way he played, you'd think he wasn't a guy who was just waived and had some kind of guranteed contract next season.

Sandy is done, simple as that. He was done when he left, he's twice as done now.

It happens a lot to fighters, the simply get tired of fighting. And even when he does fight, his victories are becoming fewer and further between.
I absolutely agree with you on Sandy. He did everything he was asked the first time round--and always finished his checks--but by the end, you could see that he no longer had it in him to keep fighting. When he came back, he wasn't even trying to check anyone. The flame is gone, it's time for Sandy to retire.

Old
07-14-2004, 08:20 PM
OldBlueSeats

Yeah, Sandy looks like Yashin without the Cashin, looking up into space and wondering when the next deposit will be in his account. He looks so disinturested in his role. NO way I would ever bring him back..

Old
07-14-2004, 08:45 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBlueSeats
Yeah, Sandy looks like Yashin without the Cashin, looking up into space and wondering when the next deposit will be in his account. He looks so disinturested in his role. NO way I would ever bring him back..
Here are some UFA tough guys id take a look at that are young:

1. Cam Severson, (UFA) - Another player who was with Rangers organization and made his NHL debut elsewhere with the Ducks. At 6'2 190 ok size but at 26 years old, its better than McCarthy. Severson had 50 pim 3 goals in 31 games.

2. Darren Van Oene (VI) - Played for Providence so he knows some of the wolfpack players, and he is a LW and is 25 years old and had 111 pim in the AHL with 25 points in 72 games.

3. Joey Tetarenko (VI) - 26 year old RW/D. Spent time with Florida, most games in NHL was with Florida and recently Canes. 167 pim in 57 games in minors. In NHL 73 games 4 goals and 176 pim.

4. Jason Strudwick, (UFA) - 28 year old RW/D Spent last few seasons with Hawks. Played in 54 games 1 goal with 73 pim.

5. David Ling, (UFA) - Small but is tough, at 5'9 185, can play LW or RW and is 28 years old but had 50 games with jackets last year with 98 pim

6. Ryan Barnes (UFA) - Is LW and just turned 24 in Janurary and has nice size at 6'2 205. 175 pim in AHL in 69 games with 6 goals and 19 points. Made his NHL debut this season with Wings.

Out of this group, id sign Barnes, just because he is the youngest and at 24 he can improve a bit more.

Old
07-14-2004, 08:48 PM
Prucha73

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOrtmeyer41

1. Cam Severson, (UFA) - Another player who was with Rangers organization and made his NHL debut elsewhere with the Ducks. At 6'2 190 ok size but at 26 years old, its better than McCarthy. Severson had 50 pim 3 goals in 31 games.

2. Darren Van Oene (VI) - Played for Providence so he knows some of the wolfpack players, and he is a LW and is 25 years old and had 111 pim in the AHL with 25 points in 72 games.

3. Joey Tetarenko (VI) - 26 year old RW/D. Spent time with Florida, most games in NHL was with Florida and recently Canes. 167 pim in 57 games in minors. In NHL 73 games 4 goals and 176 pim.

4. Jason Strudwick, (UFA) - 28 year old RW/D Spent last few seasons with Hawks. Played in 54 games 1 goal with 73 pim.

5. David Ling, (UFA) - Small but is tough, at 5'9 185, can play LW or RW and is 28 years old but had 50 games with jackets last year with 98 pim

6. Ryan Barnes (UFA) - Is LW and just turned 24 in Janurary and has nice size at 6'2 205. 175 pim in AHL in 69 games with 6 goals and 19 points. Made his NHL debut this season with Wings.

Out of this group, id sign Barnes, just because he is the youngest and at 24 he can improve a bit more.
Aren't Blatny and Kurka UFAs?

Old
07-14-2004, 09:07 PM
dumpnchase

Quote:

Severson never was a Ranger he only had a contract with Hartford not the Rangers.

Old
07-14-2004, 09:09 PM
NYFAN

Just sign McCallester, problem solved! Plus he plays wing and defense. He is one tough SOB. In fact Simon said he was one of the toughest guys he has ever faced!

Old
07-14-2004, 10:16 PM
BobMarleyNYR

Send a message via AIM to BobMarleyNYR
I can't believe some NYR fans! Remember how good he was for us, putting up career highs in points in his 2nd to last season? He flat-out proved he's more than a "goon." You just can't argue it, he did it.

Seems everyone forgot in that short amount of time he was gone. How many people here only started watching games in October of 2003?

Sandy's a character guy, and he brought so much pride to the Garden just by fighting... not many players can do that. I hope they do sign him back.

Old
07-14-2004, 10:19 PM
Janerixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYFAN
Just sign McCallester, problem solved! Plus he plays wing and defense. He is one tough SOB. In fact Simon said he was one of the toughest guys he has ever faced!
problem with mcallister is that he really likes to pick his spots, he cant even be considered an enforcer, id consider him more like a malkhov, a guy who fights only when he is mad or he feels the need, malakhov could fight with alot of the guys in the nhl, he has the size and strength, in every fight hes ever had with the rangers he won, however he just doesnt like to fight, and mcallister seems pretty similar a large frame and decent fighting ability, hed just rather be a defensemen... he couldnt cut it in philly or the avs, so i dont see him solving our problem here

the rangers will go elsewhere for an enforcer and lets hope its not Mccarthy

Old
07-14-2004, 10:32 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarleyNYR
I can't believe some NYR fans! Remember how good he was for us, putting up career highs in points in his 2nd to last season? He flat-out proved he's more than a "goon." You just can't argue it, he did it.

Seems everyone forgot in that short amount of time he was gone. How many people here only started watching games in October of 2003?

Sandy's a character guy, and he brought so much pride to the Garden just by fighting... not many players can do that. I hope they do sign him back.
Unfortunately, he showed none of that character last year, either with Boston and especially when he came back here. If he really wanted to be re-signed, he would have been hitting everything in sight--yet he didn't. McCarthy isn't a scorer and if he isn't going to (or can no longer) be an enforcer, then there really isn't room for him here. We have plenty of younger players already in the organization who can play the role that McCarthy does.

Old
07-14-2004, 10:35 PM
BobMarleyNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger
Unfortunately, he showed none of that character last year, either with Boston and especially when he came back here. If he really wanted to be re-signed, he would have been hitting everything in sight--yet he didn't. McCarthy isn't a scorer and if he isn't going to (or can no longer) be an enforcer, then there really isn't room for him here. We have plenty of younger players already in the organization who can play the role that McCarthy does.
He's only 30... Lundmark has sucked the last two years, but we keep him. He's a Joey Kocur type, and he can't do **** if he plays 5min a game... he can be quite versatile.

Old
07-14-2004, 10:50 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
He's only 30... Lundmark has sucked the last two years, but we keep him. He's a Joey Kocur type, and he can't do **** if he plays 5min a game... he can be quite versatile.
First, better check your facts, because McCarthy turned 32 in June. Second, I saw Kocur play a lot and McCarthy is nowhere near his caliber now or in his prime. McCarthy isn't good enough to play on one of the top 2 lines--not even as an enforcer--and will just be taking minutes away from some younger player with potentially more of an upside. Plus, McCarthy doesn't kill penalties, which limits his usefulness.

It's time to move on and develop our own versatile, tough guy.

Old
07-14-2004, 11:13 PM
BobMarleyNYR

Yeah good luck... don't think it'll be Murray.

"McCarthy doesn't kill penalties..." And Lundmark is used as bodymass when we're shorthanded.

Old
07-14-2004, 11:38 PM
Edge

How we can even mention McCarthy and Lundmark in the same sentence is jaw dropping.

His last season in NY wasn't that impressive and his return to NY was even less impressive.

If we're gonna sign somebody on their average at best skills from three years ago than not a single darn thing has changed for this organization.

Perhaps the true sign of his worth is how many teams are tripping over themselves to sign him........ just like no one else but us was going to claim him off waivers last season.

The ONLY reason he was even brought in was because we didnt have enougn bodies to throw on the ice.....it sure as heck wasn't because he's proved himself capable over the last 24 months in NY, Boston and again in NY.

Old
07-14-2004, 11:39 PM
Edge

Quote:
Yeah good luck... don't think it'll be Murray.

"McCarthy doesn't kill penalties..." And Lundmark is used as bodymass when we're shorthanded.
Murray showed more heart, interest and willingness in the handful of games he played last season than i've seen out of McCarthy in years.

McCarthy's legacy is the chicken dance..... followed by a beatdown by Cairns that he blamed {gasp} on his helemt.

Old
07-14-2004, 11:51 PM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

The Bruins may be cheap but they ain't stupid. Sort of the opposite of the Rangers for the last seven years.

Old
07-14-2004, 11:58 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prucha73
Aren't Blatny and Kurka UFAs?
They are not tough guys. They are good prospects, and Sather should sign them.

Old
07-15-2004, 12:53 AM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
How we can even mention McCarthy and Lundmark in the same sentence is jaw dropping.

His last season in NY wasn't that impressive and his return to NY was even less impressive.

If we're gonna sign somebody on their average at best skills from three years ago than not a single darn thing has changed for this organization.

Perhaps the true sign of his worth is how many teams are tripping over themselves to sign him........ just like no one else but us was going to claim him off waivers last season.

The ONLY reason he was even brought in was because we didnt have enougn bodies to throw on the ice.....it sure as heck wasn't because he's proved himself capable over the last 24 months in NY, Boston and again in NY.
Thanks Edge, I wasn't even going to bother with the Lundmark/McCarthy "comparison."

Old
07-15-2004, 12:54 AM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
They are not tough guys. They are good prospects, and Sather should sign them.
How great are they if they are still unsigned? And why did their original teams let them go in the first place?

Old
07-15-2004, 03:23 AM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger
How great are they if they are still unsigned? And why did their original teams let them go in the first place?
Well Blatny isn't ready yet for the NHL, but has pretty good offensive upside. He needs to add some muscle and refine his game a bit, but he could turn out to be a decent second line LW.

As for Kurka, he is a bit more of a project. Kid could fly, 22 years old, plays LW and already responsible defensively. His offensive game needs work, but the potential is there. He'd have to make it as a scoring line winger due to his lack of size. He needs some more time in the minors.

Old
07-15-2004, 05:28 AM
Edge

I'd sign em in the hopes of finding a late bloomer, but i wouldn't put too much stock in either.

Personally i've always in favor of signing young guys with untapped talent than signing old guys with fading talent.

The odds arent great in either scenario but at least with a young guy you get something to work with if the slim odds fall in your favor.

Closed Thread