HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers looking at Goalie Viktor Fasth

Old
05-07-2011, 10:17 AM
in the hall

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Atoz View Post
Considering that the goals are 188 feet apart I guess you mean he'd be shooting from the 3rd row.
that was a ****** response if i've ever seen one

in the hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 10:26 AM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HagelinForPresident View Post
I still can't believe that Lundqvist was drafted 205th overall. Man did we get a steal
were not the only one, look at the Wings. imagine if we selected zetterberg, another late pick and look at those teams that didnt sign Dan Girardi

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 11:48 AM
Bob Richards
Mr. Mojo Risin'

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Can really never have too many goalies in your system.
Yeah, just ask the Islanders.

Bob Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 03:54 PM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
Quote:
Originally Posted by in the hall View Post
that was a ****** response if i've ever seen one
Well if we're being smart ass kindergarten children in here let me say this in the simplest terms. Who cares about a 28 year old goalie? What does that accomplish but fill up a contract spot. Again, can he score too? Because that's what this team's main focus should be on, not 28 year old goalies.

Glen Teflon Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 04:13 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers32185 View Post
Well if we're being smart ass kindergarten children in here let me say this in the simplest terms. Who cares about a 28 year old goalie? What does that accomplish but fill up a contract spot. Again, can he score too? Because that's what this team's main focus should be on, not 28 year old goalies.
Why does it matter that he is 28 y/o?

You guys are so kids horny. You do not pick up a goalie like him thinking like 10 years ahead. He has his best 8 years ahead of him. 3 years would have been enough.

It ain't no Fing kinder garden we are talking about here. Christ.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 04:36 PM
NYRMatt

Can I geta pronunciation on Fasth?

fast-eth?
fast?
fas-tha?

I think it's a kickass last name.

NYRMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 04:46 PM
Blue Blooded

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRMatt View Post
Can I geta pronunciation on Fasth?

fast-eth?
fast?
fas-tha?

I think it's a kickass last name.
Probably as close as you can get with an English pronunciation. Perhaps "fahst" is closer, but "fast" is 1000% better than the other two suggestions.

Blue Blooded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 05:43 PM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
Why does it matter that he is 28 y/o?

You guys are so kids horny. You do not pick up a goalie like him thinking like 10 years ahead. He has his best 8 years ahead of him. 3 years would have been enough.

It ain't no Fing kinder garden we are talking about here. Christ.
Why does it matter that he's 28? Because I don't want a contract wasted on a guy who's never going to play. I'd rather the organization draft a goaltender. He's a year younger than Lundqvist, so he's not the successor. You have Biron as a backup, I'd rather let a young goalie start down in the AHL than a 28 year old who will serve as nothing more than a backup. That is why this is stupid and makes no sense.

Old
05-07-2011, 07:04 PM
ocarina

Quote:
Why does it matter that he's 28? Because I don't want a contract wasted on a guy who's never going to play. I'd rather the organization draft a goaltender. He's a year younger than Lundqvist, so he's not the successor. You have Biron as a backup, I'd rather let a young goalie start down in the AHL than a 28 year old who will serve as nothing more than a backup. That is why this is stupid and makes no sense.
How do you know he would never play? If he has talent, who cares how old he is? Should the Wild not of signed Niklas Backstrom because he was almost 30?

If he plays a year and isn't good enough, he is let go, no problem. But if he is good enough, it's a free asset.

ocarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 07:11 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Okay, Jason Missiaen... there's a wasted goalie contract.

Can this guy Fasth play? If so, who cares how old he is.

nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 07:20 PM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Okay, Jason Missiaen... there's a wasted goalie contract.

Can this guy Fasth play? If so, who cares how old he is.
My point is, Lundqvist is going nowhere, Biron is signed on another year. Wouldn't you rather develop a young goalie than see a 28 year old guy playing down there? With the way contracts are so precious for us I don't see the need to sign Fasth. I guess this is a agree to disagree case here.

Old
05-07-2011, 07:25 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
My point is, Lundqvist is going nowhere, Biron is signed on another year. Wouldn't you rather develop a young goalie than see a 28 year old guy playing down there? With the way contracts are so precious for us I don't see the need to sign Fasth. I guess this is a agree to disagree case here.
I see what you're saying but if Fasth is good and doesn't mind playing in HFD, he gives our guys in the minors a better chance to win, and "growing up" in a winning environment is good, and he can always be called up to backup Henke instead of Chad Johnson.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 09:31 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Sure, developing a young goalie would be great. But who? We drafter Lafleur and two years later he was out of hockey. Cam Talbot could be decent, who knows. Chad Johnson is what he is. Jason Missiaen sucks. Stajcer is incredibly inconsistent and coming off major surgery. I'm not particularly high on any in-house prospects. So why waste a pick on another goalie, when we could instead sign a more established commodity?

28 isn't old for a goalie. Players at that position routinely play into their late thirties. Look at Roloson. A 28-year old still has 10 years ahead of him.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 09:54 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

I think if Fasth can play and play well he could be a great asset to the organization. He's 28 give him a year in HFD to adjust to the smaller rink and then have him back up Hank. Hell if he was really good we could roll a good goalie rotation for the first time in years.

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 09:56 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tube Sock View Post
I think if Fasth can play and play well he could be a great asset to the organization. He's 28 give him a year in HFD to adjust to the smaller rink and then have him back up Hank. Hell if he was really good we could roll a good goalie rotation for the first time in years.
Actually this year was the first year we've been able to roll a good goalie rotation.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2011, 05:52 AM
Propane Nightmares
Prehistoric Banter

As nobody seems to know anything about this guy here's his EliteProspects page http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=5147

He is a late bloomer and was a rookie in the SEL this season and ended up winning goalie of the year, his Allsvenskan and Division 1 numbers were also outstanding and it looks like all he has done is get better, and his numbers in the World Championships speak for themselves. I say send him to the AHL then bring him up to replace Biron in 2012/13, I don't think there is anything to lose by signing him, really

Propane Nightmares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2011, 07:39 AM
Chimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Blooded View Post
Probably as close as you can get with an English pronunciation. Perhaps "fahst" is closer, but "fast" is 1000% better than the other two suggestions.
Yeah, "Fast" is the way to go, although the "a" should be a deeper "a" in the mouth. Alright, some basic phonetics coming up.

To English speakers, pronounce "fast" and then "lard". Focus on the "a" in both words and feel where they are pronounced in the mouth. "A" in "fast" is pronounced in the front of the mouth, while the "a" in "lard" is pronounced towards the bottom of the mouth. Now, pronounce "Fast" with the bottom a in the mouth and you have his name quite accurately, but remember it is a short and fast "a" and not a long "a" like it's pronounced in lard.

So, to summarize, "Fast" with a fast and short "a" from the word "lard" and you're set.

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2011, 07:50 AM
Tony D63
Tortsless Rangers

The Next Tim Thomas

Tony D63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2011, 10:58 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Fasth has been absolutely impenetrable in the tourney so far.

I have heard comparisons to Johan Holmqvist, in any case I have no problem at all putting a vet goaltender behind a Hartford team that i'd like to start to see going deeper in the playoffs.

Plus if he pans out we have insurance, instead of Chad Johnson and the goaltending motley crew.

05-08-2011, 11:27 AM
Chimp

It all comes down to Fasth's ambitions and his view of himself. If he thinks he might have a shot to crack a #1/ backup role in NHL, he probably won't sign with the Rangers. If he is fine with bouncing between AHL and NHL and adjusting to the small rink a couple of seasons, he might sign with the Rangers.

As I see it, Biron is the backup goalie behind Lundqvist for at least another season. Fasth has looked pretty damn impressive though, both his season in SEL and this international tournament. The interesting part is, Allaire could probably turn Fasth into a beast of a goaltender. Allaire and Lundqvist, with the chance to practice and learn from them, might be Rangers' strongest card.

But to be honest, I believe Tampa has more to offer to Fasth than the Rangers can. He can compete for a #1/ backup role this pre-season in Tampa, while it's almost a guaranteed Hartford spot for him here, not to mention Tampa has a more competitive team than NYR.

Last edited by Chimp: 05-08-2011 at 11:37 AM.
Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2011, 11:30 AM
ReverbAndDelay
Old Time Hockey

Granted I don't know any of you in "real life", however amongst my friends it's no secret that I have a huuuuuge soft spot for Swedish players (that's what she said?). I love the style they play there, and I think you could argue that the SEL is one of the few leagues out there where players come to the NHL almost needing zero adjustment time to play "our game".

With that said, naturally I've been watching the worlds, and Fasth looks SO solid. If we were to sign him, within reason, you'd find no objections from me. He's quiet. he doesn't seem to expend unneeded energy. Plays his angles well, and although age seems to be a factor for some of you, 28 in NO way is old for a keeper.

The reality is if this guy can adjust to the NHL and play like he is playing now, we may actually have a not had a solid goalie tandem like this since Beezer/Richter, and it's something I would think we'd all welcome.

Fasth has impressed the hell out of me. Lets hope we can grab him.

ReverbAndDelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2011, 04:19 PM
Glennsoe
Horndog

After Sweden lost in the final, swedish commentators said Victor Fasth will likely be in the NHL NeXT season..

But they said it's either for Tampa or for Edmonton...

Glennsoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 10:48 AM
Linnarhult

He played for Brooklyn Tigers in 2000-2001

Linnarhult is offline   Reply With Quote