HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

2011 NHL Draft Discussion

Old
05-21-2011, 12:35 PM
Langway
Intangibles

vCash: 500
The skating is definitely a concern. Combine that with the VC ice and I fear he would be a Sutherby waiting to happen...albeit with more skill.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2011, 12:29 AM
OVMVP

I would not be surprised if GMGM took either Khoklachev or Namestnikov if one or both were on the board. Mainly because that both are in the OHL and not wound up in contracts over in Mother Russia.

I would be against it but just saying.

Also Namestnikov speaks almost flawless english

OVMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2011, 12:36 AM
HTFN

I'm on the Klefbom bandwagon.

HTFN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2011, 02:40 AM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

I don't think Klef lasts until the 26th pick, personally.

Considering WSH doesn't have a 2nd nor a 3rd rnd pick, I wonder if GMGM would deal his first to a team like STL, which has no first (likely) but 3 second rndrs (32, 41, & 46). Might be able to snag a couple seconds for a low first.

JawandaPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2011, 09:13 AM
dashtary*

Out of the line to think that we acquire another pick in the 1st round to trade? Pick up a Namestinikov & Glefbom?

dashtary* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2011, 10:13 AM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashtary View Post
Out of the line to think that we acquire another pick in the 1st round to trade?
Completely out of the line of thinking? No. This team has a few guys who conceivably would return a 1st rounder if McPhee decided to call time on them. But given that this team is looking to contend now it isn't likely that he is going to trade roster players now for futures. So I don't see it happening.

Millhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2011, 10:30 AM
dashtary*

Schultz for a 1st. I could see that and cry a happy man.

dashtary* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2011, 07:32 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Jurco has been terrific offensively in the Memorial Cup so far. His conditioning seems a bit suspect but he's got sick hands and strong vision/awareness.

Old
05-24-2011, 07:49 PM
Capitlols

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
Jurco has been terrific offensively in the Memorial Cup so far. His conditioning seems a bit suspect but he's got sick hands and strong vision/awareness.
Is Jurco still on a line with Galiev?

Capitlols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2011, 08:19 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appreci8 View Post
Is Jurco still on a line with Galiev?
For the most part.

Old
05-24-2011, 08:34 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

How do people feel about JT Miller? Think he's available at 26? He's committed to UND, but we're not in a rush to get young forwards on the team anyway. 6'1", 198lb fast center.

I know center is one of our organizational strengths at this point, but a kid with that size and speed is always useful. I would like to see higher goal totals from him, though. Would give more flexibility in his development and eventual role.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTFN View Post
I'm on the Klefbom bandwagon.
I'm agreeing with Jawanda. I don't think he'll be on the board at 26. He's projected all over the place, like many Euros, but I think someone is going to fall in love with his size and upside and nab him early. His draft stock is rising pretty quick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JawandaPuck View Post
Considering WSH doesn't have a 2nd nor a 3rd rnd pick, I wonder if GMGM would deal his first to a team like STL, which has no first (likely) but 3 second rndrs (32, 41, & 46). Might be able to snag a couple seconds for a low first.
If they have a particular player (or two) they really like in the 2nd round area, I would support it. But while we're wittling away at the cupboards by graduating prospects and trading away picks, this isn't the time in the organizations plan that we need to have an overflowing prospect pool. It's all about quality over quantity for the Capitals right now. We need high-end prospects to fill in for players lost to UFA/trade/retirement, but not a whole wave of youth.

I honestly wouldn't mind tossing in a prospect who no longer fits the plan (Perreault or McNeill, perhaps?) with our 1st to move up a bit in the draft.

Think Phoenix would go for a Perreault + #26 for #20 trade?

Mystlyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2011, 08:47 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Miller's played a lot on the wing whenever I've seen him play and after the U18s I think he'll go in the teens. He seems like a fairly safe player.

Last edited by Langway: 05-30-2011 at 04:10 PM.
Old
05-25-2011, 03:06 AM
romao

Interesting note: Miller is kind of Pittsburgh's kid. He's Ohio-native, but i believe at some point he played junior hockey in Pittsburgh. Also NHL.com lists the Penguins as his favourite NHL team and Deryk Engelland as his favourite hockey player.

romao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2011, 05:36 AM
Raikkonen
In GMBT we trust

Schultz for pick? I doubt it.

Perreault + #1 for better #1 sounds like more probable thing.

EDIT: MP is RFA. His value is very low then.

Raikkonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2011, 09:33 AM
third man in

Quote:

Look at their recent history of late 1st round picks, then look at their recent history of 2nd round picks. Maybe with another club it would make some sort of sense but not with this one.

third man in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2011, 10:18 AM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by third man in View Post
Look at their recent history of late 1st round picks, then look at their recent history of 2nd round picks. Maybe with another club it would make some sort of sense but not with this one.
Well, WSH will need a 2nd or an early 3rd rndr if they want to get their hands on someone like Joe LaBate, a 6'4", smooth skating center...

LaBate: "I've always really had a liking for Joe Thornton. He's a big guy and he's very skilled. Right now, I try to play my game off of David Backes. He's a big centerman with a lot of skill and he moves the puck well and can shoot the puck hard. He's a good leader, sticks up for his teammates, and he plays tough. So, I really like his style of play and I try to play my game like that."

Old
05-25-2011, 02:09 PM
FrankM73

Quote:

I could very well see this happening like he did in the 07 draft and passed on Nick Petrecki and maybe several small trades to get more 2nds and 3rds...

FrankM73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2011, 11:08 PM
Bananas

The Redskins are to big name free agents what the Caps are to late first round steals. I hope whoever we pick likes being a flashy loser. Or maybe we should draft the guy with the best big tourney/playoff resume and sit back and watch the org turn him into a choker.

Should be fun. Can't wait.

Bananas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 12:12 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananas View Post
The Redskins are to big name free agents what the Caps are to late first round steals. I hope whoever we pick likes being a flashy loser. Or maybe we should draft the guy with the best big tourney/playoff resume and sit back and watch the org turn him into a choker.

Excellent contribution to the thread. Not trollish at all.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 11:50 AM
Caps Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by romao View Post
Interesting note: Miller is kind of Pittsburgh's kid. He's Ohio-native, but i believe at some point he played junior hockey in Pittsburgh. Also NHL.com lists the Penguins as his favourite NHL team and Deryk Engelland as his favourite hockey player.

Miller played for the same AAA travel association Wey did...the Pittsburgh Hornets. I would be very surprised to see him around towards the latter part of the 1st round as he is a very safe selection...15, 16, 17. Kid does have a tremendous work ethic and some good potential to do well at UND as well as the professional level down the road. Big, strong, with a physical edge but not scoring as much as advertised which is why he slipped to #23 in the latest SC rankings. Another Pittsburgh kid worth noting is Brandon Saad but one cannot believe he will be around late in the 1st. He was considered a lock for US WJC team this past year but was cut late. Speed, high level offensive ability that did not show well in tryouts against US defense which surprised many.

Last edited by Caps Crazy: 05-31-2011 at 11:58 AM.
Caps Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 01:51 PM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
Captain Tavares

vCash: 50
Quote:
Well, WSH will need a 2nd or an early 3rd rndr if they want to get their hands on someone like Joe LaBate, a 6'4", smooth skating center...

LaBate: "I've always really had a liking for Joe Thornton. He's a big guy and he's very skilled. Right now, I try to play my game off of David Backes. He's a big centerman with a lot of skill and he moves the puck well and can shoot the puck hard. He's a good leader, sticks up for his teammates, and he plays tough. So, I really like his style of play and I try to play my game like that."
26th for the 34th, 63rd and the 185th?

Kevin27nyi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 02:37 PM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin27NYI View Post
26th for the 34th, 63rd and the 185th?
NYI picks 34, 50 & 63 could possibly produce a compelling bundle such as:

Nikita Kucherov RUS/MHL | W | 17-Jun-93 | 5'10 | 163 | another Kuznetsov style steal
Joseph Labate USA/MNHS | C |16-Apr-93 | 6'4 | 180 | a giant that actually uses his size and can skate
Andrei Pedan RUS/OHL | D | 3-Jul-93 | 6'4 | 201 | another giant that uses his size and can skate

Old
05-31-2011, 02:42 PM
Devil Dancer

Quote:
The Redskins are to big name free agents what the Caps are to late first round steals.
That's a terrible comparison.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 05:21 PM
EroCaps

Quote:

This post is full of fail.

First off, the Redskins as a FA target has been true in 2 or 3 of the last 10 years. It's a lazy label that haters like to use. They lost under Gibbs because his offense was antiquated and under Zorn because he was a boob. Cerrato contributing to varying degrees.

The Caps have been one of the better late 1st round teams. Green, Carlson, MoJo, Kuznetsov, Schultz, Varlamov, Neuvirth. Find me 3 teams better.

The Caps problem is LEADERSHIP.

EroCaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 05:57 PM
Cush
-inator

Scouting Report has profiles for he Top 100

http://www.thescoutingreport.org/

01-25 http://www.thescoutingreport.org/tsr...0-skaters-125/

26-50 http://www.thescoutingreport.org/tsr...-skaters-2650/

51-75 http://www.thescoutingreport.org/tsr...-skaters-5175/