HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

2011 NHL Draft Discussion

Old
06-01-2011, 12:05 PM
Cush
-inator

vCash: 500
Draft Center (refresh if you get the DEMO Screen): http://www.forecaster.ca/demos/hockey/draft.cgi

Cush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 01:01 PM
usiel

Send a message via MSN to usiel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cush View Post
Draft Center (refresh if you get the DEMO Screen): http://www.forecaster.ca/demos/hockey/draft.cgi
Boo my work blocks that site.

06-01-2011, 05:37 PM
Marshall
Too right, man.

Caps have their 1st, 4th, 5th, 6th & 7th at this point, yes?

Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 06:20 PM
usiel

That looks right.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_NHL_Entry_Draft

usiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 06:32 PM
sk84fun_dc

Quote:
Originally Posted by usiel View Post
yes

Caps own all their own picks except:
2nd Traded to Carolina in Corvo deal and has been traded since
3rd Traded to Florida in Wideman deal

2nd Traded to NJD in Arnott deal

sk84fun_dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 06:52 PM
Robert Theodorson

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk84fun_dc View Post
yes

2nd Traded to Carolina in Corvo deal and has been traded since
3rd Traded to Florida in Wideman deal

2nd Traded to NJD in Arnott deal
I reckon we make our 1st rounders count then!

2 soft Euros who can't perform in the clutch on their way, do it George!

Robert Theodorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 07:07 PM
Marshall
Too right, man.

Thanks.

Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 07:14 PM
sk84fun_dc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
Thanks.
No problem. FWIW, I keep the log of this type info. update in the salary and contract thread for reference purposes.

sk84fun_dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 10:43 AM
Langway
Intangibles

It's a long wait from 26 to 116. They've never waited that long in a draft to pick again (under McPhee, under anyone). Next highest is 95th in '83, 90th in '01 and then 86th last year. That's not a good trend to start unless they're using those picks to acquire players that fit beyond one playoff push.

It can be withstood but unless there's a prospect they just can't pass up at 26 or they think they can move an asset to add another higher pick that moving down a bit for a second or third will be fairly appealing. After the third round or so it seems like the quality drops off.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 12:32 PM
FrankM73

s a general resource... this=awesome!

http://www.prosportstransactions.com/hockey/

shows the progression of trades for picks

FrankM73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 12:43 PM
Dirtbag59

So much harder to follow the NHL draft when you're picking near the bottom then it is the NBA and NFL. I guess part of it is because more people pay attention to the NCAA (B-Ball and Football) as well as the Basketball Euroleagues then the WHL, NCAA, and various European hockey leagues.

However it might be more difficult because in hockey, not unlike baseball, it's much harder to project where these kids will be 2 or 3 years down the road. Both NFL and NBA scouts seem to have a better idea of what they're getting on draft day then their MLB and NHL counterparts.

When I'm watching the NFL Draft for example I can still recognize players all the way through the seventh round and with the NBA draft I can still recognize a respectable amount of 2nd round picks. In the NHL draft though I'm lost midway through the first round. Only reason I was able to recognize Evgeny was because he was one of the few Russian players available and he was near the top in terms of talent.

Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 04:52 PM
Robert Theodorson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag59 View Post
So much harder to follow the NHL draft when you're picking near the bottom then it is the NBA and NFL. I guess part of it is because more people pay attention to the NCAA (B-Ball and Football) as well as the Basketball Euroleagues then the WHL, NCAA, and various European hockey leagues.
All 1st round picks of the NFL draft are NFL-ready, the only ones that aren't are QBs who become #2 on the depth chart who can quickly step up and be the starter if he's hurt.

I'd say 98% of all NBA 1st round picks are NBA ready, very rarely do they get sent to the D league, they either are starting 5 or on the short bench.

NHL, usually your top 3-5 are NHL ready, the rest need at least 1 year to play in the AHL/KHL something like that, and some won't be ready for 3-5 years.

It's not nearly exciting just based on that

Old
06-02-2011, 11:14 PM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankM73 View Post
I could very well see this happening like he did in the 07 draft and passed on Nick Petrecki and maybe several small trades to get more 2nds and 3rds...
Blues' clues

Quote:
The St. Louis Blues are one of four teams that don't have a first-round pick at the 2011 Entry Draft -- the 11th pick belongs to Colorado from the Erik Johnson-Chris Stewart trade -- but Blues GM Doug Armstrong believes he might have the ammunition to change that. The Blues have three second-round picks and a pair of third-round selections, and Armstrong said that could be enough to entice a team to part with one of its top-round picks. "With the possibility of the way our picks are clumped together there's the potential to move up into the first round, we believe," Armstrong told NHL.com.

JawandaPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2011, 11:45 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

Trade it

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2011, 01:22 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Jawanda clearly has targets in mind for later round picks. I'm curious if others calling for a trade have specific players they want as well. Unless the org has a player they really like that they feel they can get in the 2nd/3rd, I'm against trading down. The Redskins needed to completely reload and rebuild, it made sense to go quantity there (you also get more out of later round picks in the NFL than the NHL). The Capitals need high-end prospects to stay competitive as playes leave the organization. They need guys to retool with, not rebuild and restock the cupboards. Go quality, not quantity.

Mystlyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2011, 02:58 AM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
If they have a particular player (or two) they really like in the 2nd round area, I would support it. But while we're wittling away at the cupboards by graduating prospects and trading away picks, this isn't the time in the organizations plan that we need to have an overflowing prospect pool. It's all about quality over quantity for the Capitals right now. We need high-end prospects to fill in for players lost to UFA/trade/retirement, but not a whole wave of youth.

I honestly wouldn't mind tossing in a prospect who no longer fits the plan (Perreault or McNeill, perhaps?) with our 1st to move up a bit in the draft.

Think Phoenix would go for a Perreault + #26 for #20 trade?
If PHX perceives MP's value as equivalent to a second round pick, your scenario could allow WSH to move up six spots. In the bottom half of the first round, the cost for moving up in the bottom half of the first round by about five spots, tends to be at least a mid second rounder or its equivalent.

My personal feeling is though, teams will value MP lower than a second rounder, since, despite ample opportunity, he has so far failed to lock down a job in WSH. (BTW, I think he's got the jam and skill level to do it -- just not sure about his commitment).

As for the quality of prospects in this draft, I see a bunch of homerun-type prospects amongst the top 15; another sold group of 15 after that; a slight drop in the next group of 15, and then finally, another group of 50 prospects yet still with some compelling attributes. It's a deep draft.

JawandaPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2011, 08:41 AM
The Viking Fury

Maybe Landeskog or Nugent-Hopkins will slide down to the Caps

Not that I know anything about them.

The Viking Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2011, 11:27 AM
Robert Theodorson

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Viking Fury View Post
Maybe Landeskog or Nugent-Hopkins will slide down to the Caps

Not that I know anything about them.
There are some decent defenders that could slide into the 20s, it would have to take about 5-10 teams projecting 2nd or 3rd round picks to be better than what they're rated though.

Old
06-05-2011, 04:55 PM
Bananas

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps View Post
This post is full of fail.

First off, the Redskins as a FA target has been true in 2 or 3 of the last 10 years. It's a lazy label that haters like to use. They lost under Gibbs because his offense was antiquated and under Zorn because he was a boob. Cerrato contributing to varying degrees.

The Caps have been one of the better late 1st round teams. Green, Carlson, MoJo, Kuznetsov, Schultz, Varlamov, Neuvirth. Find me 3 teams better.

The Caps problem is LEADERSHIP.
I think people misunderstood my comparison because I phrased it poorly.

In the last 15 years the Redskins signed Dana Stubblefield, Big Daddy Wilkerson, Bruce Smith, Deion Sanders, Mark Carrier, Marco Coleman, Reynaldo Wynn, Matt Bowen, Jermaine Haley, Chad Morton, Laveranues Coles, Mike Barrows, Marcus Washington, Cornelius Griffin, Jeramiah Trotter, Jacquez Green, Danny Wuerffel, Shane Mathews, Adam Archuleta, Andre Carter, Casey Rabach, David Patten, Antwan Randal El, London Fletcher, Troy Vincent, Derrick Dockery, Fred Smoot, Albert Hanesworth, Rex Grossman and many, many others.

Not to mention they traded for Mark Brunell, Brad Johnson, Brandon Lloyd, Jason Taylor, Donovan McNabb, Clinton Portis, Santana Moss, James Thrash and TJ Duckett to name a few.

They hired new big name coaches too: Schottenheimer, Spurrier, Gibbs, Shanahan.

The point I was trying to make was that every year for the longest time it seemed like the Redskins where masters of the big splash (oftentimes through free agency) and were crowned, mockingly, offseason champions.

Now, it seems like the Capitals "win the draft" every year and do little else until some tweaks at the trade deadline.

The comparison I'm making is about the results. Neither team has made it out of the second round of the playoffs since the nineties!

Now, don't get me wrong. The Caps' are far better off than the Redskins. And yes, the 'Skins have toned down somewhat their free spending ways and look to be finally thinking about rebuilding one of the worst rosters in the league.

It's just maddening to me that no matter how well the Caps do at the draft they still can't win. They would seemingly even turn players who are clutch at other levels into chokers. Which is starting to remind me of how no matter who the Redskins added, they couldn't win either. Opposite ways to get to largely the same place, if you will.

And I agree with you about the Caps main problem being leadership. That's why I have zero confidence in them going forward with Boudreau still at the helm. In fact his retention makes me believe that the entire organization is flawed à la...you guessed it...the Redskins.

Bananas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2011, 05:51 PM
EroCaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananas View Post
I think people misunderstood my comparison because I phrased it poorly.

In the last 15 years the Redskins signed Dana Stubblefield, Big Daddy Wilkerson, Bruce Smith, Deion Sanders, Mark Carrier, Marco Coleman, Reynaldo Wynn, Matt Bowen, Jermaine Haley, Chad Morton, Laveranues Coles, Mike Barrows, Marcus Washington, Cornelius Griffin, Jeramiah Trotter, Jacquez Green, Danny Wuerffel, Shane Mathews, Adam Archuleta, Andre Carter, Casey Rabach, David Patten, Antwan Randal El, London Fletcher, Troy Vincent, Derrick Dockery, Fred Smoot, Albert Hanesworth, Rex Grossman and many, many others.

Not to mention they traded for Mark Brunell, Brad Johnson, Brandon Lloyd, Jason Taylor, Donovan McNabb, Clinton Portis, Santana Moss, James Thrash and TJ Duckett to name a few.

They hired new big name coaches too: Schottenheimer, Spurrier, Gibbs, Shanahan.

The point I was trying to make was that every year for the longest time it seemed like the Redskins where masters of the big splash (oftentimes through free agency) and were crowned, mockingly, offseason champions.

Now, it seems like the Capitals "win the draft" every year and do little else until some tweaks at the trade deadline.

The comparison I'm making is about the results. Neither team has made it out of the second round of the playoffs since the nineties!

Now, don't get me wrong. The Caps' are far better off than the Redskins. And yes, the 'Skins have toned down somewhat their free spending ways and look to be finally thinking about rebuilding one of the worst rosters in the league.

It's just maddening to me that no matter how well the Caps do at the draft they still can't win. They would seemingly even turn players who are clutch at other levels into chokers. Which is starting to remind me of how no matter who the Redskins added, they couldn't win either. Opposite ways to get to largely the same place, if you will.

And I agree with you about the Caps main problem being leadership. That's why I have zero confidence in them going forward with Boudreau still at the helm. In fact his retention makes me believe that the entire organization is flawed à la...you guessed it...the Redskins.
Washington, Fletcher, Coles, Smoot, Barrows, Carter all had Pro-Bowl or very good seasons for them. Portis, Moss and Trash all exceeded expectations after they were brought in. Hell, Portis almost broke every major Skins rushing record and Moss is vastly better than what was thought of at the time.

The majority of poor FA decisions came when they were led by coaches without managerial authority, i.e Schotty, Spurrier, Zorn.

Gibbs, Shanahan and Schotty are all HOF coaches and obvious hires.

It remains to be seen how Shanny's additions will pan out seeing as they went light in FA but his UDFA and picks have hit so far.

The fact that the Skins have a legit coach and structure leads me to believe that despite their lack of talent and need for development they have as good or better chance than the Caps at winning the next 3-5 years.

The Caps have a rube at HC and their GM and Owner are deluded by ticket sales and a flawed low-risk approach to do anything about it in the near future.

EroCaps is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2011, 10:34 AM
Langway
Intangibles

A bunch of combine interviews. Combine results.

Haven't read much Caps-related as far as interviews other than that JT Miller, Mika Zibanejad & Rocco Grimaldi were interviewed by every team (either at the combine or recently). Brett Ritchie, Oskar Klefbom & Jonas Brodin were interviewed by 29/30, Rickard Rakell by 28/30, Duncan Siemens 26/30 and Scott Mayfield 22/30.

Sounds like Columbus is looking to move the 8th pick for immediate help towards getting back into the playoffs.

Old
06-06-2011, 01:40 PM
Roccoman

<spitballin'>

since the Caps got nothing in rounds 2 & 3 i would imagine that the 1st rounder (and something else, picks or a player) is parleyed into multiple picks in the second...

GMGM hoards his nuts and from the sounds of this draft some quality is available in the second & third...

</spitballin'>

Roccoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2011, 02:26 PM
Langway
Intangibles

It's been tossed around a bit and could be the way to go. If there's someone too good to pass up at 26 then I don't think they'll care much about the wait unless their valuation of the depth is pretty high. The depth isn't '03 good but it seems pretty decent through the top 60-75ish.

As much as it would be detestable to some, I could see them trading down and taking advantage of the Russian factor again potentially. It's possible that both of the Russian forwards from the OHL are still available at 26 and could even continue to slide another 5-10 picks (or more, who knows, it's so hard to peg). There's also Nikita Kucherov as a highly-skilled wildcard. If they could trade down and pick up one of them to go along with a late second or early third they could make out pretty well.

Old
06-06-2011, 02:43 PM
Dream Big

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankM73 View Post
s a general resource... this=awesome!

http://www.prosportstransactions.com/hockey/

shows the progression of trades for picks
This is a good site. San Jose must have had a crystal ball trading for Couture in 2007.

Dream Big is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2011, 02:52 PM
usiel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream Big View Post
This is a good site. San Jose must have had a crystal ball trading for Couture in 2007.
Didn't like Couture much in his draft year. As a hockey fan in general I always enjoy being 'wrong' about a prospect, heh.

usiel is offline   Reply With Quote