HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011 NHL Draft Discussion

Old
06-06-2011, 04:15 PM
Roccoman

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
It's been tossed around a bit and could be the way to go. If there's someone too good to pass up at 26 then I don't think they'll care much about the wait unless their valuation of the depth is pretty high. The depth isn't '03 good but it seems pretty decent through the top 60-75ish.

As much as it would be detestable to some, I could see them trading down and taking advantage of the Russian factor again potentially. It's possible that both of the Russian forwards from the OHL are still available at 26 and could even continue to slide another 5-10 picks (or more, who knows, it's so hard to peg). There's also Nikita Kucherov as a highly-skilled wildcard. If they could trade down and pick up one of them to go along with a late second or early third they could make out pretty well.

sometimes its good to proven wrong Usiel

Roccoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2011, 09:48 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Some other combine interview stuff...the Caps interviewed Brandon Saad, a top 5-10 prospect to start the season that had a pretty disappointing OHL rookie year. Nicklas Jensen, Ty Rattie & Mark Scheifele had interviews with 28 of 30 teams.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2011, 10:00 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roccoman View Post

sometimes its good to proven wrong Usiel
My ultimate wrong has to be, at that draft time, Getzlaf. Fehr was a little out of the blue but Getzlaf was definitelty sinking that draft. Honestly I hope for all of the pics to pan out regardless of a team but reality is not that.

No one potential draftee in the bottom 20-32 really jumping out at me this draft. Could be a big prospect tier enough that wouldn't be surprised if the caps trade down to pick up a pic or two.

06-06-2011, 11:26 PM
Langway
Intangibles

It's too wide open to grow much of an exclusive preference. It really depends on how the draft falls.

I like Tyler Biggs as a possibility but there are upside questions. He fits the maturity profile in a physical sense and could maybe be able to play a bottom six role ala Clifford in the next year or two but does he have the upside to develop into a larger role down the road? He's a player I'd think they'd rather see develop in the OHL vs. Miami.

Phillips, Miller, Klefbom, Morrow, Brodin, Namestnikov, Percy and Puempel strike me as profile matches. Many of those guys will be gone by 26. Grimaldi is an intriguing little player. Add Noesen and that would be my (not so) short list. Some of the riskier options I'd just assume trading down for if possible.

Otherwise raw finisher wingers like Rattie & Jurco may be up their alley but are more of a project than recent picks.

Last edited by Langway: 06-07-2011 at 11:50 AM.
Old
06-08-2011, 02:17 PM
Langway
Intangibles

CapsReport talking draft now with Kirk Luedeke of New England Hockey Journal.

Old
06-08-2011, 07:16 PM
Kirk- NEHJ

How did I do?

Kirk- NEHJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 07:45 PM
The Instigator

I saw Rattie play a bunch in Portland this last year, and I met him in Airdrie where he played minor hockey. He gets the nod from me. Steal of the draft IMO. Either him, or Brandon Saad or David Musil.

The Instigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 08:01 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk- NEHJ View Post
How did I do?
Good stuff. Agreed on getting a good player at 26 and the draft's depth giving them potential trade down options.

I wanted to ask about a couple late season risers in Kucherov and Percy. How early could you see them going? Kucherov's a hard guy to peg but seems very unlikely to slip to 116 now and might Percy even warrant late first consideration?

Btw, I took Zack Phillips at 26 in the moderator mock draft. Between him, Morrow & Miller it was close to a toss-up and depending on the moment I'd just as well take any of the three. Biggs was also available but I'm not sure he fits their typical profile as much (though maybe Phillips' skating knocks him down a bit). I'd be surprised if most of those four are available but you never know.

Old
06-08-2011, 08:05 PM
The Instigator

Quote:
Good stuff. Agreed on getting a good player at 26 and the draft's depth giving them potential trade down options.

I wanted to ask about a couple late season risers in Kucherov and Percy. How early could you see them going? Kucherov's a hard guy to peg but seems very unlikely to slip to 116 now and might Percy even warrant late first consideration?

Btw, I took Zack Phillips at 26 in the moderator mock draft. Between him, Morrow & Miller it was close to a toss-up and depending on the moment I'd just as well take any of the three. Biggs was also available but I'm not sure he fits their typical profile as much (though maybe Phillips' skating knocks him down a bit). I'd be surprised if most of those four are available but you never know.
Good move. He's pretty much golden at 26.

The Instigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 08:13 PM
mikawa11

I'm pretty sure the best players available at the 26th pick are going to be Vladislav Namestnikov and Alexander Khokhlachev. The Caps always take the most talented player at the pick they have. I would be happy with either of the two but I think Khoklachev can play wing or center which is really valuable. Namestnikov seems to be the better talent but we'll have to see.

mikawa11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 09:57 PM
Kirk- NEHJ

Quote:

Kucherov's riding high after his superlative performance at U-18s, but he's very small- saw him at the combine- he's going to need some development time and is a real enigma- dives a lot. Doesn't need to, because he plays hard and has tons of talent. He's solid value at 116 if there, though- top-60 pick if not for his being Russian, being stuck in a bad contract there and the lack of size/maturity thing.

Percy won't be there at 116- he's a real good defensive d-man who showed off some interesting offensive upside in the OHL playoffs and Memorial Cup. Top-90 pick for sure, maybe someone reaches for him late 2nd round even.

Phillips @ 26= nice value. No issues there. He would be deadly with a guy like Nik Backstrom and even Marcus Johansson setting him up. Pure goal scorer.

Kirk- NEHJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 10:08 PM
EroCaps

I dc for the first time I can remember.

EroCaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 12:02 AM
Robert Theodorson

http://www.mynhldraft.com/NHL-Mock-Draft/

Updated 6 days ago

Vlad Namestnikov

Robert Theodorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 11:59 AM
OldSchoolCaps84

I know this question isn't related to this year's draft, but does anyone know when they're going to make announcement about which city will be hosting next year's draft? I feel like that has typically been announced in April or May in the past...

OldSchoolCaps84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 04:15 PM
mikawa11

A lot of the names people are saying are going to be gone by the 26th pick.

mikawa11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 01:35 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
As a late 1st round pick for a dman Mayfield is kind of intriguing.

usiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 06:30 PM
EroCaps

Only interested if they move Semin/Schultz/Poti on DD.

Old
06-12-2011, 08:18 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Don't expect a semin or poti move. But I have probably false hope for sarge.

In the land of justifying failure, I'm sure they are thinking he'd been better if not for mono and plus 50 is returning next season.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 10:51 PM
Robert Theodorson

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSHS View Post
Don't expect a semin or poti move. But I have probably false hope for sarge.

In the land of justifying failure, I'm sure they are thinking he'd been better if not for mono and plus 50 is returning next season.
Poti can be moved to the Panthers, but it would involve giving them a 1st round pick to go along with him.

I think almost every contender could have a use for Semin.

Unlikely scenario: Semin for a #1-4 D Man who is set to become a UFA

Likely scenario: Semin underachieves, McPhee extends him for 1 more year for more money

Robert Theodorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 11:04 PM
Langway
Intangibles

I'll be glad when it comes because we'll actually have something new to talk about.

Old
06-14-2011, 04:55 PM
Cush
-inator

HF Staff Mock: http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...ff_mock_draft/

26 Washington Capitals: Alexander Khokhlachev, Windsor Spitfires, OHL

Quote:
Barely eligible for the 2011 draft, the 17-year-old Khokhlachev brings a great combination of skill and grit to the center position.

Cush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 05:29 PM
EroCaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedeSpeedBackstrom View Post
Poti can be moved to the Panthers, but it would involve giving them a 1st round pick to go along with him.

I think almost every contender could have a use for Semin.

Unlikely scenario: Semin for a #1-4 D Man who is set to become a UFA

Likely scenario: Semin underachieves, McPhee extends him for 1 more year for more money
If Poti can't play due to injury the Caps stash him. If he can play then he's not worthless and they move him for pieces.

Old
06-14-2011, 05:59 PM
exwhaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps View Post
If Poti can't play due to injury the Caps stash him. If he can play then he's not worthless and they move him for pieces.
Based on McPhee's last word on Poti, I would be surprised to see him on the ice ever again. I really believe the Capitals knew that Poti's career was in jeopardy when they traded for Wideman, which is why they were okay with him having an additional year on his deal. If Poti somehow is ready to play next year and the Capitals are confident that he could play, I see Wideman traded instead--he's got a bigger cap hit and he actually has trade value; Poti would have zero coming off that injury and its affected season.

For draft day, my guess for players that probably would be shopped are Semin, Fehr, and Varlamov.

exwhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 06:05 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by exwhaler View Post
For draft day, my guess for players that probably would be shopped are Semin, Fehr, and Varlamov.
If Fehr wasn't coming back from yet another shoulder surgery I could have definitely seen him dealt at the draft but that isn't the case. McPhee isn't going to deal away an injured player who isn't likely to return full value until he proves himself healthy again.

Millhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 07:01 PM
Berakos

Wow, Saad's stock is falling fast. Wasn't he a top 10 pick and alot of mock draft's i've seen have him falling down to the late-mid 20s?

Berakos is offline   Reply With Quote