HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011 NHL Draft Discussion

Old
06-14-2011, 07:09 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berakos View Post
Wow, Saad's stock is falling fast. Wasn't he a top 10 pick and alot of mock draft's i've seen have him falling down to the late-mid 20s?
That's what happens when you're a below point-per-game player in the OHL.

He's a Pittsburgh fan anyway. Boo to taking him.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 05:02 PM
Dirtbag59

Posted this in another thread but McPhee talks about how this is a week draft and if there was ever a year to give up picks for veterans this would be it.
http://capitals.nhl.com/club/podcast...d=41&iid=32188

Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 05:04 PM
Devil Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag59 View Post
Posted this in another thread but McPhee talks about how this is a week draft and if there was ever a year to give up picks for veterans this would be it.
In other words, the Caps are going after a high first round pick.

Devil Dancer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2011, 07:12 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag59 View Post
I would not be surpised if they trade out of the 1st round as round 2 and into the 3rd have pretty solid depth this year.

I would not have a problem with keeping the pick, trading it for a vet, or trading back a bit to pick up some additional picks.

06-16-2011, 11:25 PM
Langway
Intangibles

If there is no perceived difference maker at 26 then it does make sense to give yourself another shot by trading back and landing another fairly high pick. I think they'll make the pick if there is such a player available, especially if there's only one in their estimation, and worry about acquiring additional picks by other means (if necessary).

If they don't believe a difference maker is available and can't trade down (or move it for more immediate help) then do they go for a boom/bust player and hope for the best or go safe and get a player they at least project as a solid complimentary player (third liner or 4-6D)? That may be something of a false choice and tough to weigh in the abstract but could make for the contours of the dilemma at that pick given that they probably need to get that pick right to have much to show from this draft.

It's why guys like Morrow, Miller, Percy, Brodin & Biggs seem so appealing if available. They at least seem like safe bets to be decent NHLers but with varying amounts of upside to be more. That middle ground may be the way to go under the circumstances, though teams in front of them could share that inclination. There doesn't seem many of those types overall and that's in part what makes this a seemingly wide open draft after the first eight or so.

Last edited by Langway: 06-16-2011 at 11:33 PM.
Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 02:17 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
Looks like ESPN's latest mock released today has caps picking Phillip Danault, C, Victoriaville. Seems like he has some nice intangibles.

usiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 03:03 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Captain of his team. Not sure he'd be BPA at 26 but a guy that would make for a good fit with Eakin potentially. If they want another versatile speed/energy guy I like him as a better option than Catenacci.

Old
06-17-2011, 03:14 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Who behind us might be looking to move up to 26? Toronto at 30 (giving them back-to-back picks)? Oilers at 31? St. Louis at 32?

I wouldn't be opposed to moving back a few picks and adding a 2nd rounder in the process, if possible. Toronto paying the 40th to move up 4 spots seems like a little too much value, unless they really wanted the back-to-back picks. The Oilers' pick at 63 doesn't seem like quite enough value to move down 5 spots.

So, it comes to Jawanda's Blues. Perhaps 26th for 32nd + 42/47 could work out.

Hivemind is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 03:35 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

So I'm finally moderately excited for draft.

Watching film and reading about how Kucherov's rising status from U18s I really wonder if he'll be the guy if he's there.

I'm not into the pro or anti Russian thing. And I do think that we need to add gritty/widebodies with hands. But you draft best avail and move on.

I was really impressed with Nik. Passing stood out. Made some serious money along right half boards and corner. His goals were in front even though he has skill. Reminds me of MSL as a winger with hands and smarts. Unselfish in his passing but didn't overpass.

Seemed very hockey smart.... There was one play where he stayed onsides and scored a goal without full knowledge of the play to his back. Just great timing and understanding of the position his pass put his teammate in... and the time he needed to get the zone.

Skill, smarts, guts, NHL height and weight from combine, riser in Intl Tourneys, Russian.... sounds like something I can like.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 04:22 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Kucherov showed difference maker potential at the U18s for sure. He's not as big as Grigorenko and Yakupov is a more explosive skater (as far as the top-end '12 Russian comparables on his team go) but his hockey sense and possession skills are top notch. He's already said he'll play in the KHL the next two years so I'd think he'll be available at 26...and perhaps later still if they wanted to trade down and take further advantage.

Any of the teams between 31-36 seem like potential trade up candidates.

Old
06-17-2011, 07:39 PM
Raikkonen
In GMBT we trust

If McPhee will take 1 russian winger every year in late 1st or 2nd round 1 of those 4-5 guys should become top-6 winger probably. And on ELC it should be good value. 1 cheap finesse winger every 4-5 years is enough to maintain top-6 maybe.

But we should really tank in the regular season to get better picks. No point in starting playoffs as 1st seed.

Raikkonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 08:20 PM
Dirtbag59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
Kucherov showed difference maker potential at the U18s for sure. He's not as big as Grigorenko and Yakupov is a more explosive skater (as far as the top-end '12 Russian comparables on his team go) but his hockey sense and possession skills are top notch. He's already said he'll play in the KHL the next two years so I'd think he'll be available at 26...and perhaps later still if they wanted to trade down and take further advantage.

Any of the teams between 31-36 seem like potential trade up candidates.
His first names Nikita. We have to draft this man.

Last edited by Dirtbag59: 06-17-2011 at 09:09 PM.
Old
06-17-2011, 09:42 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

The "Russian Factor" is one reason why I'm not necessarily a fan of GMGM dealing 2nds at the deadline. They could prove to be very fruitful with the Russians.

Old
06-17-2011, 09:46 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Just reading around various mock drafts, it seems that Joel Armia is projected to last until the late teens or early twenties. He's a guy that I'd like to see GMGM move up for if he falls to that range.

Guys with that kind of size, skill set and production (18 goals and 29 points in a men's league) don't tend to fall to that range.

Old
06-17-2011, 10:14 PM
Dirtbag59

Washington Capitals Phillip Danault, C, Victoriaville (QMJHL)
A willing center who would bring needed hockey sense and reliability to a ridiculously skilled lineup. With an abundance of talent in the pipeline, Washington could wait for Danault to fill out. Although the "show" is Ovie, the real story in Washington is the organization. Picks like Evgeny Kuznetsov, Stanislav Galiev, Dmitri Orlov and John Carlson proved to be golden. Danault is in the mold of another dynamic Caps find, Cody Eakin. You can't have enough of those guys.

PLAYER EVALUATION
Summary
Easy to like as a first-rounder. Could be a break-out player at world U18s this spring.

Positives
Hockey sense. Very good two-way game for young player.

Negatives
Skating might get knocked by some scouts. Top gear a question.

Notes
Dynamic and heady player. Doesn't let a weak team drag down his play or effort. Blocks shots and takes hits to make plays no matter what the score. Played center at the summer U18 camp and might project at C rather than LW as a pro. Jan. 18: Play improved with move back to center, his best position. Stuck with a bad team. (Insider Top 50 Prospects)

Old
06-17-2011, 10:45 PM
CapsWolverinesUSA

I've just got a funny feeling that GMGM wants someone with size and toughness (either a winger or a D) and will be willing to reach at #26 to get it.

CapsWolverinesUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 11:17 PM
Atlas

"Draft Schmaft."

Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 12:06 AM
EroCaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsWolverinesUSA View Post
I've just got a funny feeling that GMGM wants someone with size and toughness (either a winger or a D) and will be willing to reach at #26 to get it.
Considering he said yesterday that there are a handful of "impact" players they are targeting in hopes one drops and that their strategy has consistently followed this course I'm almost 100% you're wrong.

DD will be a success if they can pawn of Semin to the Islanders or whomever is tired if picking 5-10 and wants an impact player in exchange for a package.

Their FA strategy is dramatically altered if that 6.7 is still on the roster July 1st.

EroCaps is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 12:20 AM
Atlas

The draft is actually one of the best things the Caps have going. Ross Mahoney (or whoever is the primary evaluator of the recent 1st rounders) deserves a big raise and blue ribbons. It's frustrating to draft well and then have McPhee and Boudreau botch it. But anyway, Mahoney is Ma-Homey LOL. Most likely, the 1st rounder is the only guy who will ever make an impact for the Caps. It's pretty important to get that one right.

Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 02:21 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Didnt really like what I saw of danault on the profile vid on YouTube. Passionate. Great. Just not enough quickness and movement. And he didn't seem to shield puck well in space at speed. Boards. Fine.

Old
06-18-2011, 02:39 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Jurco: sick hands. Seems like a transition player so caps may love him. Really skilled.

Namestnikov: fast fast. Didn't see great hands. Did seem to go into traffic.

Khoklachev: wears 89.... Nuff said.

Very similar players. But jurco's got elite hands potential and very good speed.

Still prefer Kucherov

Old
06-18-2011, 02:49 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Biggs. I'm a fan. I wonder if he has any close in hands like knuble. Cause I love the size and energy.

Old
06-18-2011, 08:47 AM
CapsWolverinesUSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps View Post
Considering he said yesterday that there are a handful of "impact" players they are targeting in hopes one drops and that their strategy has consistently followed this course I'm almost 100% you're wrong.
Based on the consistency with which GMGM tips his hand in situations like this, I can understand your extreme confidence.

CapsWolverinesUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 09:50 PM
Raikkonen
In GMBT we trust

Russian Factor is very strong this year.

Last year there were 3 high profile russians. Burmistrov (played in OHL), Tarasenko and Kuznetsov (both were playing in KHL).

Burmistrov was picked in top-10 and already played a season in NHL. He is a nice guy (met him this year at Bratislava), very talented, serious and (afaik) has a good work ethic. And he is a center.

Both wingers although very talented slipped to the later picks. And both decided to stay in KHL for one more year.

There is more money and better competition in KHL year after year.

There is new junior league (MHL) and there are more former NHL players (russian) who are rising as young coaches or helping russian hockey on other positions in MHL/KHL/clubs.

There are many younger juniors who are very talented (popular speculation in Russia) and who will be drafted in 2013 or later.

Our state is concerned about Sochi-2014 and the hockey overall so they will try to discover some more youth programs and try to get all the talented ones to stay in Russia.

It is the same theme that you can hear on TV here in Russia so NHL GMs must be pretty informed about that, I presume.

They (GMs) will avoid russian players as much as possible until it is someone like Yakupov who is undoubtedly talented and already playing in NA (Burmistrov-like case).

That situation should be like that until Tarasenko and Kuznetsov come to NA and make the big splash. I guess they will come bigger, heavier, more mature and make instant impact.

And everybody will realize again that 2 years in KHL for good prospect is what the doctor ordered.

I guess that's what how things will look in 2 years after this and next draft. McPhee can take advantage of it now. Just for greater value and in case some of the prospects will not pan out (because of the damaged shoulders, for example).

TRADE DOWN! =)))

Raikkonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 10:05 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Yeah but it didn't really impact Burmistrov's draft position and similarly I don't think it really will with Khokhlachev/Namestnikov either. Of course, there are some GMs that just won't draft Russian players regardless.

The Caps may be able to take advantage of the Russian factor when it comes to Kucherov and trading down or later on in the draft with the D Yarullin, Nesterov, Arzamastsev and Marchenko or perhaps the big winger Shalunov. Any of them in the fifth round or later would present strong value.

Last edited by Langway: 06-19-2011 at 03:07 PM.