*OFFICIAL* Barrie Colts 2011-12 Season Thread ‎

Closed Thread

Old
05-25-2011, 10:49 PM
NHL Fanatic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by krazy kanuck View Post
I heard the same thing. In fact, they made that comparison on the OHL draft online show. If that's turns out to be true, Yuill's a steal at 22.

I'm not sure of the injury, but he was definitely a DNP at the rookie scrimmage a couple of weeks ago.

Cheers,
Shawn
I watched a lot of minor midget hockey this year and I believe that if Yuill was about 3-5 inches taller he could have possibly been the first defenseman taken in this draft. He is very good skater and so smart with the puck. The major downsize was his height but he definitely has potential.

Old
05-26-2011, 06:29 AM
Johnsb

Barrie
1st, 2nd, 2nd Miss, 2nd Lon, 3rd, 3rd Win, 4th, 5th, 5th Sby

This could be a fast turn around. With the draft next year, Barrie needs to bite the bullet and go young this year and start the rebuild. 3rd & 4th lines should be all
94-95's and just play them. Add a few more picks over the next couple of years and you are back in the game. However if they choose to only do a part rebuild they will never get back to where Barrie should be.

Old
05-26-2011, 12:42 PM
Arjay

Quote:
Hello,

Yeah, I think it's going to be a quick turnaround. You can only carry so many 96's (and the Colts already have 1) so I would imagine they'll deal a few of these picks for a 93 defenceman to stick up for the young kids.

Best Regards,
Shawn
John Tavares didn't count as "underage" in his second season!

Old
05-26-2011, 12:50 PM
Arjay

Quote:
Originally Posted by TobiasE View Post
Barrie
This could potentially be a bigger haul than this year with 4 in the top 40 plus 2 - 3rds. Of course some may be used in trades.

Old
05-26-2011, 03:51 PM
Racer14
Always Watching

Quote:
Hello,

Yeah, I think it's going to be a quick turnaround. You can only carry so many 96's (and the Colts already have 1) so I would imagine they'll deal a few of these picks for a 93 defenceman to stick up for the young kids.

Best Regards,
Shawn
Ekblad will count as a 95 and as such they can sign 4 96's

Old
05-26-2011, 05:05 PM
Racer14
Always Watching

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newhire View Post
Barrie

This could be a fast turn around. With the draft next year, Barrie needs to bite the bullet and go young this year and start the rebuild. 3rd & 4th lines should be all
94-95's and just play them. Add a few more picks over the next couple of years and you are back in the game. However if they choose to only do a part rebuild they will never get back to where Barrie should be.
I agree..Keep most of the pics..trace a 3rd for a 93 D I agree with as well....but draft away, if anything the kids will thne be a part of the trade bait in the follwoing season. I dont think we have the team to challenge in the next 2 years...we are 3 years away,

As far Yuill goes, I understand the pick. If that is indeed his ceiling (only saw him a few times but he looked like a player) then it is a fair ris to take. I too qwish they would have taken a 4th round flyer on a kid like Backus...but I wold also love for them to take a look at little Drew Nesbitt....he went undrafted but something about him screams OHL to me....wlda been worth a 15th rnd flyer.

Old
05-27-2011, 06:06 PM
krazy kanuck

Quote:
With the draft next year, Barrie needs to bite the bullet and go young this year and start the rebuild. 3rd & 4th lines should be all
Hello,

I'm just wondering what you thought last year was? You don't get much younger than that. I would expect they'll try to make the playoffs this year, and prime for a run in 2012-2013.

Cheers,
Shawn

Old
05-27-2011, 06:10 PM
krazy kanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer14 View Post
I too qwish they would have taken a 4th round flyer on a kid like Backus...but I wold also love for them to take a look at little Drew Nesbitt....he went undrafted but something about him screams OHL to me....wlda been worth a 15th rnd flyer.
I wish they had drafted him too. I thought he was a great pickup for the Majors in the 7th. Hopefully he'll get a chance in Mississauga. I think he will....

Cheers,
Shawn

Old
05-27-2011, 10:49 PM
Racer14
Always Watching

Quote:
I wish they had drafted him too. I thought he was a great pickup for the Majors in the 7th. Hopefully he'll get a chance in Mississauga. I think he will....

Cheers,
Shawn
I agree, he definitely should make the team...good hockey player....a steal in the 7th.

I think for those 5 guys, we discussed earlier...to make the team...the 3rd and 4th lines will have to be 16 and 17 yo's....I penciled Saraphim RW on 2nd line...but I also expect we will fill that spot through the Import draft.

Old
05-28-2011, 05:06 AM
krazy kanuck

Quote:
I think for those 5 guys, we discussed earlier...to make the team...the 3rd and 4th lines will have to be 16 and 17 yo's....I penciled Saraphim RW on 2nd line...but I also expect we will fill that spot through the Import draft.
The more I think about it, the more I think the import pick should be dealt. At most, you seem to get two years out of those guys - and more often than not it's just one year. That doesn't really fit into the strategy...

Cheers,
Shawn

Old
05-28-2011, 10:39 AM
Racer14
Always Watching

Quote:
The more I think about it, the more I think the import pick should be dealt. At most, you seem to get two years out of those guys - and more often than not it's just one year. That doesn't really fit into the strategy...

Cheers,
Shawn
That could work...something like...

our first overall...to Niagara...for Luke Mercer and their first round import pick in 2013

Old
05-30-2011, 07:50 AM
Johnsb

I like the idea of traiding the pick for a good young D man. Barrie has some good young player yet to play in the OHL from last years draft that could also be in the mix to be sent somewhere in a package. 4-6th rounders from 2010 along with the 1st pick in the inport could get some good return.

That being said I'm not sure I'm ready to pencil in the 5th rounder from this year to be a top 6 forward before players like MacDonald, Bell and even Dagnal. Good player but not ready for that. Most of the 1st rounders don't play in top 6.

Old
05-30-2011, 06:02 PM
Racer14
Always Watching

Quote:
I like the idea of traiding the pick for a good young D man. Barrie has some good young player yet to play in the OHL from last years draft that could also be in the mix to be sent somewhere in a package. 4-6th rounders from 2010 along with the 1st pick in the inport could get some good return.

That being said I'm not sure I'm ready to pencil in the 5th rounder from this year to be a top 6 forward before players like MacDonald, Bell and even Dagnal. Good player but not ready for that. Most of the 1st rounders don't play in top 6.
Positionally...he is our 2nd best RW thats why i have him there.,...as scary as that is.

Old
05-31-2011, 10:22 PM
krazy kanuck

Quote:
Positionally...he is our 2nd best RW thats why i have him there.,...as scary as that is.
Yeah, except realistically it will either be the first overall import pick, or they'll have someone play the off wing (Behenna?), or they'll trade a left handed shot for a right handed one. Ironically the D is the opposite problem - they're all right handed.

Cheers,
Shawn

Old
06-01-2011, 05:07 AM
Racer14
Always Watching

I dont see behenna and Sheifs being split up...theres some serious chemistry there...but I hear yah and I agree...check out this rumoured deal...

rumours in windsor say ldn will deal goalie darren eckblad to barrie

for goalie john chartrand a 93 born

other considerations will go to barrie as well

i am hearing raine going there too with bennett coming back

bennett sure would give them size and toughness

Old
06-08-2011, 04:49 PM
Falkrik

I just found out we got Ekblad in the Priority draft. I'm gonna try to see a couple games this season. Hopefully I can see Ekblad + Scheifele

How much are jerseys? I'd want to get one of Ekblad's.

Also, when is he eligible for the NHL draft? 2014?

Old
06-08-2011, 04:50 PM
Tigers1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas Tatar View Post
I just found out we got Ekblad in the Priority draft. I'm gonna try to see a couple games this season. Hopefully I can see Ekblad + Scheifele

Correct.

Old
06-09-2011, 10:53 AM
Racer14
Always Watching

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas Tatar View Post

I would imagine they are already stocked in the coltsport store in the BMC.

Welcome to the colts boards!

Old
06-09-2011, 10:07 PM
Racer14
Always Watching

I learned today that my hunch is correct and that 2011 import pick is up for grabs and Barrie loves Luke Mercer.

Old
06-10-2011, 12:12 AM
krazy kanuck

Quote:
I learned today that my hunch is correct and that 2011 import pick is up for grabs and Barrie loves Luke Mercer.
Wasn't that my hunch? I think unless they can get a certain 2 year impact player (i.e. Yakupov) then the pick gets dealt.

Best,
Shawn

Old
06-10-2011, 06:00 PM
Racer14
Always Watching

Quote:
Wasn't that my hunch? I think unless they can get a certain 2 year impact player (i.e. Yakupov) then the pick gets dealt.

Best,
Shawn
Mercer was my hunch....can we go halfsies? lol

Old
06-13-2011, 11:08 AM
Johnsb

From the Barrie Examiner:

The Barrie Colts added another young, skilled forward on Monday.

The Colts have acquired offensive centre Ray Huether, 17, from Saginaw in return for

a third-round pick in 2014 that originally belonged to the Spirit.

The six-foot-one, 186-pound native of Londesborough, Ont., was a fifth-round pick (84th overall) of Saginaw in the 2010 OHL Priority Selection.

Huether played with the Stratford Cullitons last season in the Greater Ontario Junior Hockey League, finishing fourth in team scoring with 22 goals and 17 assists in 49 games.

"He's got a lot of skill and he a great year for Stratford," said Colts assistant general manager Jason Ford. "He should step right into our lineup this year."

Old
06-13-2011, 11:21 AM
Tigers1992

Quote:
From the Barrie Examiner:

The Barrie Colts added another young, skilled forward on Monday.

The Colts have acquired offensive centre Ray Huether, 17, from Saginaw in return for

a third-round pick in 2014 that originally belonged to the Spirit.

The six-foot-one, 186-pound native of Londesborough, Ont., was a fifth-round pick (84th overall) of Saginaw in the 2010 OHL Priority Selection.

Huether played with the Stratford Cullitons last season in the Greater Ontario Junior Hockey League, finishing fourth in team scoring with 22 goals and 17 assists in 49 games.

"He's got a lot of skill and he a great year for Stratford," said Colts assistant general manager Jason Ford. "He should step right into our lineup this year."
If hes grown to 6'1' then thats a huge jump, he was 5'10 in his draft year. Skill was never the kids issue, always side and strength.

Old
06-13-2011, 11:36 AM
Johnsb

Tigers, does Barrie start to try and move some of the 94 picks they already have? Starting to look like they aren't in the Colts plans.

Old
06-13-2011, 01:55 PM
Racer14
Always Watching

I think we will move 1 or 2 2nds....but its tough. We are building for 3 yrs from now so its 16 or 17 yos is what we want.

Love this move! This kid seems like a real nice player. I remember seeing him in his draft year. Sick hands. We now have a GLUT of centers.

I think a trade involving a centre is imminent or they are affraid scheifs may be rdy to make the jump.

Closed Thread