HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game 4...continue

Old
05-07-2011, 01:07 AM
sjshark91

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by apple22 View Post
Every sports writer seems over excited about the Red Wings win. Oh, well.... hopefully we win on Sunday.
Apparently the Red Wings have won the series....

sjshark91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 01:09 AM
yada
move 2 dallas 4 work

Send a message via Yahoo to yada
Quote:
Originally Posted by rn277 View Post
so i guess im glad i missed this game given all the ref talk, sounds like one i would have broken a remote over.........now that a few hours have passed, was the refereeing something that actually cost us the game or did we not do enough to win either way?
The refs were the least of the worries. Wings absolutely took it to the sharks and controlled play for the first 2 periods.

yada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 01:11 AM
Led Zappa
Tomorrow Today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yada View Post
The refs were the least of the worries. Wings absolutely took it to the sharks and controlled play for the first 2 periods.
Of course. All 3 Sharks goals were lucky.

Youth Movement! Tally Ho...
Led Zappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 01:12 AM
rn277
Playoffs Please?

just watched the wings winning goal....goalie interference much?.....niemi and the defensemen, didnt see who, should have made a bigger deal of that i think

rn277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 01:20 AM
Nighthock
**** the Kings...

Quote:
just watched the wings winning goal....goalie interference much?.....niemi and the defensemen, didnt see who, should have made a bigger deal of that i think

The worst officiating for and entire playoffs since I can remember ... amazing.

Nighthock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 01:30 AM
apple22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Doug Wilson View Post
Apparently the Red Wings have won the series....
That much is obvious....not sure if there is even a game on Sunday.

apple22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 01:35 AM
WTFetus
Most popular combo

PP sucks. They need to take Setoguchi off of it. He doesn't help on the cycle and he's pretty much just parking, hoping for one-timer.
Put Couture on the 1st unit. He worked well on the powerplay with Marleau and Thornton in the regular season. Put Wellwood on the 2nd unit. He provides more hockey intelligence and puck pose than Setoguchi.

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 01:43 AM
ChubbChubby
My life is a gym

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
PP sucks. They need to take Setoguchi off of it. He doesn't help on the cycle and he's pretty much just parking, hoping for one-timer.
Put Couture on the 1st unit. He worked well on the powerplay with Marleau and Thornton in the regular season. Put Wellwood on the 2nd unit. He provides more hockey intelligence and puck pose than Setoguchi.
Yeah, I think the first power play is a little too straightforward right now. They need someone crafty to mix things up and make it unpredictable for the defenders. Couture has a lot of moves he could pull and he still could take the one-timer if he sees an opening. Wellwood would slot in well on the 2nd unit; he may not shoot the puck much, but the 2nd unit has enough triggers so that would work out.

ChubbChubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 01:45 AM
irregardless
Registered Dummy

Quote:
I didn't see the goalie interference on Helm's goal. Niemi's just being screened and can't follow the puck, so that's why he's slow to move over. You can see he finally turns his head to the right, just before Abdelkader 'interferes' so that it looks like he's getting elbowed or whatever. Demers also probably could have done more to stop that goal, I think. He was right in front of Helm.

irregardless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 01:46 AM
Led Zappa
Tomorrow Today!

Quote:
Actually it was better when Marleau was hurt and Couture was moved to the top unit.

Old
05-07-2011, 01:47 AM
Led Zappa
Tomorrow Today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurious View Post
I didn't see the goalie interference on Helm's goal. Niemi's just being screened and can't follow the puck, so that's why he's slow to move over. You can see he finally turns his head to the right, just before Abdelkader 'interferes' so that it looks like he's getting elbowed or whatever. Demers also probably could have done more to stop that goal, I think. He was right in front of Helm.
It doesn't matter that they would have scored regardless. A penalty is a penalty. He was in the paint and interfered with Niemi. It may have not been a 2 minute penalty, but it sure as hell should have stopped play.

Old
05-07-2011, 01:53 AM
allworldcaucasn*

Send a message via AIM to allworldcaucasn*
Quote:
Originally Posted by juantimer View Post
What was really great was that the boys closed out the game threatening. I think another 30 secs to 1 minute would have been enough to get the goal back. I think they were as pissed about those blown calls as we were.
That's true. I actually half expected the Sharks were going to score and tie it up with 90 seconds left, as in it's 50/50 we score in the last minute. So did the players, which is cool.

Last edited by allworldcaucasn*: 05-07-2011 at 02:01 AM.
allworldcaucasn* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 02:21 AM
magic school bus

vCash: 141
Quote:
Seto just had a hat trick, including 2 PPGs, and you want him off the PP?

magic school bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 02:22 AM
Phu

Quote:
so i guess im glad i missed this game given all the ref talk, sounds like one i would have broken a remote over.........now that a few hours have passed, was the refereeing something that actually cost us the game or did we not do enough to win either way?
They did enough to at least take it to OT. I don't really understand people who blame the team for not being in complete control of this game. This is a ROAD GAME, the home team gets the matchups and is going to have a good chance to control play. Ultimately the Sharks tied it up early in the 3rd and outplayed the Wings through most of the 3rd, before a final push by the Wings during which, on one fateful play, 3-4 calls were missed or ignored including interference on the man who was going to clear the puck and the goaltender, which resulted in the Wings' game-winning goal.

The Sharks mounted a furious attack in the last 1:30 but were unable to score. Most games you could make an argument that reffing did not cost a team the game, but this one was as good as a blown call in OT leading to an OT goal. There just was no time for the team to get a fair shot at overcoming the terrible (abnormally terrible, like at least twice as terrible as the normal level of terribleness) reffing in the last few minutes of the 3rd.

Phu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 02:23 AM
allworldcaucasn*

As for Marleau, I think we all know he goes cold, so accept it. Luckily, we have plenty of backup now.

Old
05-07-2011, 02:24 AM
WTFetus
Most popular combo

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic school bus View Post
Seto just had a hat trick, including 2 PPGs, and you want him off the PP?
Yeah. They were lucky goals and the PP has been sucking the entire post-season. His first goal, anyone could have gotten. It's just being in front of the net at the right time. His second goal was all luck. All he's providing on that unit is a one-timer. He's not cycling, and his boardwork is poor. Couture and Wellwood at least add some board presence and hockey intelligence.

Old
05-07-2011, 02:32 AM
allworldcaucasn*

I highly recommend dump and retreive on the PP. That's where a puck pops out to an x-factor player like Seto and it's a goal. Clowe and Thornton CAN do the cute entries, but they can get the puck out of the corner too.

Old
05-07-2011, 02:33 AM
Phu

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJfortheCUP View Post
I highly reccomend dumping and chasing on the PP. That's where a puck pops pops out to an x-factor player like Seto and it's a goal. Clowe and Thornton CAN do the cute entries, but they can get the puck out of the corner too.
Or a clear gets held in at the point and there's all kind of time to set up.

Old
05-07-2011, 02:35 AM
Arkansas Shark
Rebuild lol

Lol a lot of you guys are whining like Wings fans! Sure there were some non calls that ended up costing the Sharks. It happens. If this was game 6 I would have a freak out. It's game 4. The Sharks lead 3-1. They played well overall despite the fudge ups from time to time. They'll be fine come Sunday.

Arkansas Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 02:36 AM
allworldcaucasn*

Quote:
Originally Posted by juantimer View Post
Or a clear gets held in at the point and there's all kind of time to set up.
Exactly.

Old
05-07-2011, 02:39 AM
Led Zappa
Tomorrow Today!

Quote:
As for Marleau, I think we all know he goes cold, so accept it. Luckily, we have plenty of backup now.
The only problem I have with that point of view is that we all know that if Joe or Heater were pulling this crap the board would be lynching them. And no, Marleau cannot make up for his play with a couple bursts of majic. We're virtually half way through the PO's IF we make it all the way and Wellwood has outperformed him.

The only excuse I'll accept is an injury at this point.

Last edited by Led Zappa: 05-07-2011 at 02:49 AM.
Old
05-07-2011, 02:47 AM
Phu

Patty's motor was going tonight but he was mostly peeling out, from what I saw. Hopefully that means next game he'll hook it up and it'll be glorious.

Old
05-07-2011, 02:47 AM
WTFetus
Most popular combo

Quote:
He's been extremely cold though. Earlier in the post-season, I would cut him a little slack as he was being physical and just wasn't seeing the puck quick enough. Now, half the time he's not skating hard and he seems to be gripping his stick too tightly. The majority of his passes today were either off the mark or into someone's feet.

Old
05-07-2011, 02:49 AM
WTFetus
Most popular combo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zappa View Post
The only excuse I'll accept is an injury at this point.
It's weird though. Heatley wasn't great near the end of the season, but he stepped it up a level in the post-season. Marleau was heating up near the end of the regular season, but when the post-season started, he just disappeared...

Old
05-07-2011, 02:51 AM
yada
move 2 dallas 4 work

Send a message via Yahoo to yada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zappa View Post
Of course. All 3 Sharks goals were lucky.
You know coutures goal was lucky

I give the sharks full credit for tying the game and having themselves a chance to win a game they were outplayed. In games you get outplayed often times you take more penalties. This is why I can't blame the refs. I do think they missed a tripping call committed against Thornton (zetterberg?) but other then that only high level infractions were going to be called.

yada is offline   Reply With Quote