HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

Game 4...continue

Old
05-07-2011, 01:54 AM
Phu

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by yada View Post
You know coutures goal was lucky

I give the sharks full credit for tying the game and having themselves a chance to win a game they were outplayed. In games you get outplayed often times you take more penalties. This is why I can't blame the refs. I do think they missed a tripping call committed against Thornton (zetterberg?) but other then that only high level infractions were going to be called.
Like ... hauling down the guy with a step on you going to clear the puck? Blocking the goalie from sliding across the crease? Not blaming the refs is a little too charitable in this one, they were especially bad tonight. Again, as Keith Jones basically admitted happens, they weren't going to call **** on the team on the brink.

Phu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 01:58 AM
CrazedZooChimp
Not enough guts

vCash: 1875
Send a message via AIM to CrazedZooChimp
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
Yeah. They were lucky goals and the PP has been sucking the entire post-season. His first goal, anyone could have gotten. It's just being in front of the net at the right time. His second goal was all luck. All he's providing on that unit is a one-timer. He's not cycling, and his boardwork is poor. Couture and Wellwood at least add some board presence and hockey intelligence.
And yet, the rest of the Sharks powerplay seems completely unable to do that simple task that leads to goals. You'd figure if it was so easy someone else would have figured out how to do it...

CrazedZooChimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 02:18 AM
ramstoria

The refs were awful, but the sharks had their chances. I think we can wrap it up at home if we continue to play our game and get the matchups we want.

ramstoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 02:32 AM
SharksFan1

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artful_Dodger View Post
Announcers were a couple of peckerwoods.
Seriously. The next game better have Randy and Drew.

SharksFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 02:34 AM
Sharkway Drive
****ing All Star!

I was at a place where I had to contain my emotions so i was never really able to vent out my frustration. But after sitting on it for a while I am not as disappointed or angered by this game as I initially was.

This team, like they have time and time again this season, showed amazing resiliency and tenacity to not pack it up and give up after the first period. Yes they play like major horse poopdoo the first two periods but they kept fighting. Also, I was not expecting a sweep at the start of the series and i know a lot of you weren't expecting one as well. Of course I would have loved to shoved it into everyones face that we destroyed this team so all the "experts" and fans would shut up but its just not how it played out.

Also, yes the reffing was terrible, but it was bound to happen and I loved the way that the sharks just adapted and played around it. That is what good teams and champions do. I still have full faith in this team closing it out soon and you guys should too.

Sharkway Drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 02:44 AM
Derick*

Send a message via MSN to Derick*
So pissed the Sharks didn't win that I can't sleep.

Derick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 03:46 AM
irregardless
Registered Dummy

Thinking about it more, I'm glad they didn't win. They need to remember how to play with a lead again, instead of taking first periods off all the time and then expecting to be able to come back in the next two periods. I like the heart they showed in tying it tonight, but hopefully they play the right way in the next game so that if they get to the third round, they don't carry over such an awful habit. They were lucky Niemi was sharp in game 3 or the score would have been worse and they wouldn't have come back. They weren't so fortunate in this game obviously.

irregardless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 09:11 AM
sjshrky27

Has anyone seen Patrick Marleau? Last time I saw him was in mid-April.

sjshrky27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 09:45 AM
BubbaOnTheBandwagon

Here they pin the blame partially on Niemi. The text below the video says "Niemi: poor rebound control leads to game winning goal".

It's pretty likely the Sharks will face the Canucks in the conference finals. I frankly quite clueless about the playing styles of most of the teams. Some of you here analysed that Niemi is better suited playing against the Wings than against the Kings, but how about the Canucks?

Just wondering if the Canucks are good in exploiting situations like the ones in the video.

Edit: On second thought I guess this is offtopic. Sorry about that.

BubbaOnTheBandwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 11:36 AM
TheJuxtaposer
#healBurish

vCash: 567
Patty needs to take a leaf out of Heater's book and dive for a ****in' block. I have never in my years of being a Sharks fan seen him do that.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 11:47 AM
Clowe Me

I've really liked Heatley's game ever since the Kronwall hit.

The team earned a split in a tough building and could've easily won them both. The Wings aren't as good as the Sharks, and if the Sharks play with the same effort they did last night when the game was 0-3 tomorrow when the game is 0-0, I like their odds.

Clowe Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 12:04 PM
CrazedZooChimp
Not enough guts

vCash: 1875
Send a message via AIM to CrazedZooChimp
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaOnTheBandwagon View Post
Here they pin the blame partially on Niemi. The text below the video says "Niemi: poor rebound control leads to game winning goal".

It's pretty likely the Sharks will face the Canucks in the conference finals. I frankly quite clueless about the playing styles of most of the teams. Some of you here analysed that Niemi is better suited playing against the Wings than against the Kings, but how about the Canucks?

Just wondering if the Canucks are good in exploiting situations like the ones in the video.

Edit: On second thought I guess this is offtopic. Sorry about that.
I don't know how well Niemi matches up with other teams, but his rebound control has been an issue all year, and was a major issue against LA. If a team figures out how to position themselves to take advantage of his big fat rebounds, they can pretty easily score, especially if the defense doesn't also know where the rebounds are going.

CrazedZooChimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 12:13 PM
Led Zappa
Steady As She Goes

I don't understand some of the comments regarding the Wings outplaying us. How many times have we "looked" like we've outplayed our opponents in the PO's only to get beat? We are playing one of the best teams in the league. They are going to get there chances, put on the heat, get extended time in our zone, etc... etc... etc...

We are still finding ways to win. That's what it's about and something this years team is doing differently than in years past. Or we could go back to getting 50 shots on net and still lose.

Thereís a lot of things wrong with this country, but one of the few things still right with it is that a man can steer clear of the organized ******** if he really wants to. Itís a goddamned luxury, and if I were you, Iíd take advantage of it while you can.
-- Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
Led Zappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 12:13 PM
Kyleftlx
twitter*****/kyle_ftl

Send a message via MSN to Kyleftlx
San Jose was much better in games 1 & 2. Detroit played much better in games 3 & 4.

It doesn't change the fact that Detroit continuously blows leads. The only game they didn't blow a third period lead was game 2, because they didn't have it to begin with.

This is another series where, if Detroit loses (if? They will lose.. lol), it's going to make the fans shake their heads because Detroit seriously has HAD these games... having a lead for like 40+ minutes in game 1? Having a lead for just as long in game 3? It's pathetic.

San Jose is just proving that they really want to win. That's all I've seen. Detroit has played like Detroit plays, and San Jose is just playing better. That's why they're up 3-1. If San Jose beats Detroit, I'm going to hope they win the cup this season.

Kyleftlx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 12:15 PM
irregardless
Registered Dummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaOnTheBandwagon View Post

Didn't that puck rebound off his... mask? How do you control something like that? Either way, Demers should have had Helm and stopped him from getting that shot off. It's not like it all happened in a split second.

irregardless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 12:30 PM
TheDanceOfMaternity

Gotta win game 5

TheDanceOfMaternity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 12:44 PM
Rickety Cricket

Usually after a loss I rant about many things. This game however, outside of the start, there wasn't much to complain about. Sure the officiating could have been better, but thats unfortunately outside of the Sharks control.

Rickety Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 12:55 PM
Redknuckles

sharks win 5 in a row now...i'll be real happy.

Redknuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 01:31 PM
USF Shark
ZŰion politikÚn

I'm still upset...but winning tomorrow will make me feel better

Old
05-07-2011, 01:41 PM
Shape
Go Sharks :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickety Cricket View Post
Usually after a loss I rant about many things. This game however, outside of the start, there wasn't much to complain about. Sure the officiating could have been better, but thats unfortunately outside of the Sharks control.
werd.

nearly won a game they shouldn't have on the road.

i think they'll wrap it up @ home. just don't go to OT. needz to watch new bob"s burgers.

Shape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 02:28 PM
AstroDan
Stars, cars, guitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthock View Post
Oh, and no more GDT for you Dan ... no more ...
At least no more series-clinching GDT's. I did do the 2nd greatest comeback in NHL PO history...

AstroDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 02:36 PM
AstroDan
Stars, cars, guitars

Finished reading through here.

Breathe, breathe. Go back and look in the thread about the series. How many of you picked the Sharks to sweep? Cmon, the men on the ice play the game, not the officials, not the announcers and certainly not us fans. The boys'll close this thing out in good order tomorrow, and we'll all be happy again.
Did anybody seriously think that Detroit would just roll over and not play to their (very high) potential in a must-win at home?

If Patty scores GWG (I snog he will) in game 5, we'll all want to have his baby again.
Relax.

Plus, I'm not doing the clinching GDT!

AstroDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 02:37 PM
Phu

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazedZooChimp View Post
I don't know how well Niemi matches up with other teams, but his rebound control has been an issue all year, and was a major issue against LA. If a team figures out how to position themselves to take advantage of his big fat rebounds, they can pretty easily score, especially if the defense doesn't also know where the rebounds are going.
What also was not working last night is something Niemi's had trouble with off and on all season, his puck movement to defensemen. He was missing them, stretching them out and creating turnovers. With the Wings buzzing he should have looked to swallow those pucks or put them in the corner so the Sharks could go to work on the Wings' bodies. He needs to learn game control like that, how to suck life from a swarming opponent by strategic freezes and playing to strengths. Perhaps that will develop with time. Nabby was the master at that.

Phu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 06:24 PM
Thepainter

Still pissed about that GWG... so many penalties that it's inexcusable to have it happen. Mitchell would have gotten to that puck, but he was literally pulled down to the ground.

Hoping we win tomorrow, but I will still be very upset that the officials literally gave a game away.

Disgusted.

Thepainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 11:31 PM
magic school bus

we never get those slapshot goals (like the 1st Lidstrom goal, off the mad scramble). i think that's a problem that needs to be fixed, probably with new personnel. if we're playing the same style as DRW, we should be able to do this.

its a trademark of championship teams. Beauchimen in game 5 vs. Ottawa, even Chicago did a lot of that last year.

magic school bus is offline   Reply With Quote