HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Offseason Thread

Closed Thread

Old
05-09-2011, 11:57 AM
Murphy7
Drop the puck

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neumatic View Post
Anyone heard about Mike Richards and Lavy being on no speaking terms? Was listening to WIP this morning for a few minutes and heard Macnow say that Richards and Lavy are not speaking to each other right now. That was the first I've heard of it.
During the practice between Game 3-4, it was reported they were on the ice together talking at length while the rest of the team was practicing.

Old
05-09-2011, 12:07 PM
FlyersMania2

Quote:
Anyone heard about Mike Richards and Lavy being on no speaking terms? Was listening to WIP this morning for a few minutes and heard Macnow say that Richards and Lavy are not speaking to each other right now. That was the first I've heard of it.
Hasnt this been the issue since the allstar break? I've read/heard a number of things along these lines - how Richards stopped buying into Lavy's system, how Richards was having a hard time with some of the other players being the active leaders in the locker room...etc.

Didn't Richards also get Hitch a pink slip? This is my problem with his captaincy, more so than anything else. Fine, he was hurt which is y he sucked, whatever (also, like Carter circa 2010 playoffs, DONT PLAY THEN!).

But, as far as I knew, the issues off the ice in the lockerroom and with Richards and Lavy have been an issue since February.

Old
05-09-2011, 12:10 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

Ah yes, I guess it is time to start speculating/inventing rumors.

Do you have any sources for them not speaking, short of a radio DJ who likely didn't cite sources of his own?

Old
05-09-2011, 12:15 PM
El Emperor

Quote:
I wouldn't read too far into it. It's only been a few days since being eliminated. The Philly sports guys have nothing to talk about except the Phillies at this point so they will reach for any little issue that MIGHT be happening.

Personally, I would love to see Mike Richards get more fired up after losses, but that's just me. Overall, I fear that everyone is overreacting to ONE season that Richards just didn't live up to his potential. If it continues into next season, maybe there should be a discussion about his leadership qualities.

Old
05-09-2011, 12:19 PM
Neumatic

Which is why I asked... feel free to delete if you want. This is about as much as I could find today which isn't much of anything.

https://twitter.com/#!/philabright/s...29197736161280

Old
05-09-2011, 12:20 PM
Ghost of Downie*

Quote:
Originally Posted by six sigma View Post
On this note, if Carle and Hartnell were to depart...what do you guys think of a combo of Cole and Pitkanen coming to Philly? The salaries are pretty close, yet the Carolina duo has been better imo.
Cole, yes. Pitkanen, no. Joni had his shot here and it didn't work out. I'd rather not go down that road again.

Old
05-09-2011, 12:24 PM
phillyfanatic

For those of you "reading" Philly media and trusting it as gospel, check Lisa Hillary interview with Pronger on CSN. He completely shreds what Tim, Sam and the rest wrote about his blowup with Giroux. It was reported that he stood up and called out Giroux. This was "fact" around here. In fact, it was the other way around. Giroux was saying something to Pronger and Pronger blew up at him. He implied in the interview that he was simply pissed because he had ****** up his wrist in that game and he didn't want to talk to Giroux at that moment, cause he knew he was injured.

So many have called for Richards to step down since Pronger is the true leader for "calling out" Giroux, blah, blah. Well, that didn't happen. We don't know what the **** is said in that dressing room. All we know is this:

1. Players say Richie is the leader - INCLUDING PRONGER
2. The rest of the league views Richards as one of the best leaders/captains in the NHL
3. Richards was the captain of the greatest Canada World Junior team of all time (with many current NHL captains)
4. Richards was part of the best line for Canada during their gold medal win in Vancouver
5. Richards was a huge part of taking us to the Stanley Cup not so long ago, like LAST YEAR!

Why is this board so stupid sometimes? We already have the reason for why Richards had a down second half and playoffs. He had a wrist injury on top of the bad shoulder. He couldn't hit, he couldn't win faceoffs and he couldn't shoot as effectively. Yet, you all wanted him to produce on par with his previous year. And the fact he didn't means we run him out of town? ****. Why not an "attaboy" for playing through the pain?

- Richie had a bad second half and playoffs
- Richie is having off season surgery
- Richie will be captain again next year
- He will be a star again next year
- He will be a top two way forward in the NHL again next year
- He is signed to a cap friendly deal long term

So, lets move on please. He is not the problem. Why are we saying he is?

Old
05-09-2011, 12:28 PM
phillyfanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Ah yes, I guess it is time to start speculating/inventing rumors.

Do you have any sources for them not speaking, short of a radio DJ who likely didn't cite sources of his own?
Unless the "rumour" is coming from the player or the coach or the GM - why talk about it? I can't stand the "I think I read somewhere......." crap. Either it is fact, or it is not.

Old
05-09-2011, 12:29 PM
Neumatic

Um stop raging so hard. I only asked if anyone heard/read about it as it would be a big deal if it was true. Don't rage at me I still want Richards as the C.

Old
05-09-2011, 01:04 PM
phillyfanatic

Quote:
Um stop raging so hard. I only asked if anyone heard/read about it as it would be a big deal if it was true. Don't rage at me I still want Richards as the C.
I didn't quote you or reference you. However, people will quickly turn "what some meathead on the radio said....." to "I think I heard that...." to "RIchards is a known...." to "I hate Richards because he got Lavy Fired". Where did that come from? From nowhere is where. Like I said, unless it is coming from the players, the coach or the GM - it is Rumour and not fact.

Again, I didn't say anything about you, I am simply saying.....according to anyone close to the team who has ever said anything about it, Richards is a good leader and captain.

Old
05-09-2011, 01:06 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

Quote:
Which is why I asked... feel free to delete if you want. This is about as much as I could find today which isn't much of anything.

https://twitter.com/#!/philabright/s...29197736161280
That quote is without all context.

Old
05-09-2011, 01:35 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfanatic View Post
For those of you "reading" Philly media and trusting it as gospel, check Lisa Hillary interview with Pronger on CSN. He completely shreds what Tim, Sam and the rest wrote about his blowup with Giroux. It was reported that he stood up and called out Giroux. This was "fact" around here. In fact, it was the other way around. Giroux was saying something to Pronger and Pronger blew up at him. He implied in the interview that he was simply pissed because he had ****** up his wrist in that game and he didn't want to talk to Giroux at that moment, cause he knew he was injured.

So many have called for Richards to step down since Pronger is the true leader for "calling out" Giroux, blah, blah. Well, that didn't happen. We don't know what the **** is said in that dressing room. All we know is this:

1. Players say Richie is the leader - INCLUDING PRONGER
2. The rest of the league views Richards as one of the best leaders/captains in the NHL
3. Richards was the captain of the greatest Canada World Junior team of all time (with many current NHL captains)
4. Richards was part of the best line for Canada during their gold medal win in Vancouver
5. Richards was a huge part of taking us to the Stanley Cup not so long ago, like LAST YEAR!

Why is this board so stupid sometimes? We already have the reason for why Richards had a down second half and playoffs. He had a wrist injury on top of the bad shoulder. He couldn't hit, he couldn't win faceoffs and he couldn't shoot as effectively. Yet, you all wanted him to produce on par with his previous year. And the fact he didn't means we run him out of town? ****. Why not an "attaboy" for playing through the pain?

- Richie had a bad second half and playoffs
- Richie is having off season surgery
- Richie will be captain again next year
- He will be a star again next year
- He will be a top two way forward in the NHL again next year
- He is signed to a cap friendly deal long term

So, lets move on please. He is not the problem. Why are we saying he is?
Easy, the majority of fans like to rage and throw hissy fits when we lose. Their are 29 other teams, only 1 wins the cup and the entire season rides on a couple 7 game series.

Richards and Carter are not going anywhere. That's as close to fact as you can get. The Flyers invested in both these guys. They gave them longterm deals and they market the hell out of them.

Homer likes his young defenders in Carle, Coburn and Meszaros. He mentioned discussing extensions for Carle and Coburn at the Season Ticket Holder event. Homer also wants to re-sign Leino.

Something is going to happen this offseason, but I'm guessing it's signing a vet goalie to mentor Bob. I doubt the Flyers make any huge moves though.

Old
05-09-2011, 01:37 PM
SnS
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by six sigma View Post
On this note, if Carle and Hartnell were to depart...what do you guys think of a combo of Cole and Pitkanen coming to Philly? The salaries are pretty close, yet the Carolina duo has been better imo.
I'm anti-cole.

I LOVE Joni, but that ship has sailed and I don't think the Philadelphia market would be good for him again.

Props to Nemesis for the signature and avatar.
Old
05-09-2011, 02:13 PM
Stonehands77

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
Homer likes his young defenders in Carle, Coburn and Meszaros. He mentioned discussing extensions for Carle and Coburn at the Season Ticket Holder event. Homer also wants to re-sign Leino.

Something is going to happen this offseason, but I'm guessing it's signing a vet goalie to mentor Bob. I doubt the Flyers make any huge moves though.
Ugh, move Carle please. If I have to see another lazy, stupid pass in the defensive zone from him I'll scream. He has offensive talent, but he still does not get it in the defensive zone. Move him, please, and use that cap money to get a better goalie.

Once again, I lament how much money is tied up in worthless players. Leighton, Walker, and Shelley cost us enough to prevent us from really attacking the goaltending issue. It's $4 million between those three. Nicely done, Homer. Glad we got a "good locker room guy" who plays 5 minutes a night and sits most playoff games. That's a good use of over a million dollars in cap space. And don't get me started on the other two, who should never touch the ice with this team.

Old
05-09-2011, 02:15 PM
six sigma
Thank you Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh0otnSc0re View Post
I'm anti-cole.

I LOVE Joni, but that ship has sailed and I don't think the Philadelphia market would be good for him again.
I think his game is still improving, and that Pits would be a good addition despite his last stint in Philly. Plus Fedoruk isn't around anymore to smack him up, which I think led to his desire to be traded the last time.

Old
05-09-2011, 02:31 PM
MsWoof

Regarding the Pronger vs Giroux thing, we didn't know who Pronger was yelling at till Homer said it. I don't know if he did it intentionally but it wasn't the PHI writers who started it, they only heard Pronger say it. About a week later when the writers were talking about it, Homer made a comment along the lines of "you're talking about Claude, right?". A few of the writers then said they tried to reach Roo but he didn't respond to their calls.

Rgarding Richie and Lavi, whatever is going on between them has to be talked out. Lavi made a lot of visible mistakes this season and into the playoffs. Richards made mistakes on the ice. They both need to learn from them and move forward.

Old
05-09-2011, 02:39 PM
FlyersMania2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Regarding the Pronger vs Giroux thing, we didn't know who Pronger was yelling at till Homer said it. I don't know if he did it intentionally but it wasn't the PHI writers who started it, they only heard Pronger say it. About a week later when the writers were talking about it, Homer made a comment along the lines of "you're talking about Claude, right?". A few of the writers then said they tried to reach Roo but he didn't respond to their calls.

Rgarding Richie and Lavi, whatever is going on between them has to be talked out. Lavi made a lot of visible mistakes this season and into the playoffs. Richards made mistakes on the ice. They both need to learn from them and move forward.
However was saying before that Pronger didnt blast Giroux, that it was taken out of context, should look for the NHL network segment during the Buffalo series, when its pointed out (on video) Pronger blasting Carcillo for that ten-minute misconduct as he comes off the ice.

If Pronger may have blasted Giroux, he did - I am sure there are others we don't hear about. But, in terms of living and dying by the Philly reporters, I don't. And whoever says, unless the GM or coach says it don't believe it - do you really expect Homer to say "our captain isnt buying into our head coach's system anymore?" to be honest, that isn't going to happen.

Lots of speculation about Richards butting heads with laviolette (take history as a starting point and look at Hitchcock) - comes from somewhere, especially when there are historical examples to support it.

Old
05-09-2011, 03:10 PM
SolidSnakeUS

This thread became interesting while I was asleep .

Old
05-09-2011, 03:37 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersMania2 View Post
However was saying before that Pronger didnt blast Giroux, that it was taken out of context, should look for the NHL network segment during the Buffalo series, when its pointed out (on video) Pronger blasting Carcillo for that ten-minute misconduct as he comes off the ice.

If Pronger may have blasted Giroux, he did - I am sure there are others we don't hear about. But, in terms of living and dying by the Philly reporters, I don't. And whoever says, unless the GM or coach says it don't believe it - do you really expect Homer to say "our captain isnt buying into our head coach's system anymore?" to be honest, that isn't going to happen.

Lots of speculation about Richards butting heads with laviolette (take history as a starting point and look at Hitchcock) - comes from somewhere, especially when there are historical examples to support it.
Well it seems it isn't only Richards. Leino also criticized him and today, Hartnell added to it:

http://blogs.courierpostonline.com/flyers/

Quote:
On Peter Laviolette conducting three straight “bag” skates after the Flyers Carnival:
That week was probably harder than training camp and I think we rattled off three or four losses after that. Would a couple days’ rest been better for us? I don’t know. There are a lot of ‘ifs’ now.
On how guys feel about Laviolette:
“I love Lavvy. I have all the respect in the world for him. His systems are great.
On criticisms of Mike Richards:
It’s very unfair. He’s the hardest worker. He’s got the biggest heart. People who are saying he doesn’t care or he didn’t give it his all out there doesn’t know what they’re talking about because he’s one of the most well-liked players I’ve ever played with.
Edit: I agree that the Philly media sucks, and I think that Philabright is the worst of the lot. He's just sour all the time.

Old
05-09-2011, 03:47 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:

And the GM needs to consult with the coach before bringing plaeyrs in to fit his system. Zherdev was a mistake from the beginning. The irony is that he was one of the better players on the ice during the Bruins series.

Old
05-09-2011, 03:50 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
And the GM needs to consult with the coach before bringing plaeyrs in to fit his system. Zherdev was a mistake from the beginning. The irony is that he was one of the better players on the ice during the Bruins series.
Agree on Zherdev. That's twice in the past 2 weeks I've agreed with you, stop it!

Old
05-09-2011, 03:52 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

Quote:
I've wondered about that. Did Homer really ask Lavi "hey, you want Shelley and Zherdev?" Or was it more of a "Hey. I hope you can use Shelley and Zherdev, because I have signed them."

Old
05-09-2011, 03:56 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Well it seems it isn't only Richards. Leino also criticized him and today, Hartnell added to it:

http://blogs.courierpostonline.com/flyers/

Edit: I agree that the Philly media sucks, and I think that Philabright is the worst of the lot. He's just sour all the time.
They had 12 games in the month of February, and they cannot handle a conditioning skate? This was also during a four day break. Gee, I wonder where all the speculation comes from when the players have to complain about the coach wanting his players to be in top shape.

Old
05-09-2011, 03:57 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

Quote:
They had 12 games in the month of February, and they cannot handle a conditioning skate? This was also during a four day break. Gee, I wonder where all the speculation comes from when the players have to complain about the coach wanting his players to be in top shape.
There's a difference between getting your players into top shape, and wearing them out. It's a long season.

Old
05-09-2011, 04:03 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
That's basically every other day.

All is right with the world, I disagree with you again.

Closed Thread