HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Offseason Thread

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-07-2011, 03:13 PM
  #151
Razor the Goalie
Can I Get a Hot Tub
 
Razor the Goalie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Waiting in Shadows
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 348
vCash: 500
Toodles Car Bomb, enter Zac Rinaldo.

Razor the Goalie is offline  
Old
05-07-2011, 03:16 PM
  #152
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...
 
sa cyred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Traveling...
Country: Cuba
Posts: 15,775
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldberg The Goalie View Post
Toodles Car Bomb, enter Zac Rinaldo.
Enter 5 suspensions next season

sa cyred is offline  
Old
05-07-2011, 03:23 PM
  #153
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?
 
Pantokrator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Semmes, Alabama
Country: Guatemala
Posts: 4,386
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
The way Homer can play this off (and I am hoping thats what he is doing atm) is acting like he is set for the goalie position next year. Then comes the draft, and he starts throwing names around. Maybe Carle/Versteeg. Maybe even Hartnell. He tries to see what fair value he can get while acting like he isnt going to go after any goalies. He gets a 1st round pick for either of them, signs a Vokoun or something, I consider it a success.

This is me putting alot of faith in Homer though, which hasnt really had the greatest results yet.
Let me ask this, because I am ignorant:

With Versteeg, obviously he has played well in the past. What is he CAPABLE of bringing to a team, and then what DID he bring to the Flyers this year?

I will be angry if Holmgren ends up flipping Versteeg for a 3rd round pick after giving up a 1st just 2 months ago. I'd trade him for a first rounder in ANY year. I don't care if it is for this year or not. But why would any team trade ANYTHING for the guy, based on how he apparently played this year with the Flyers?

Pantokrator is offline  
Old
05-07-2011, 03:27 PM
  #154
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...
 
sa cyred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Traveling...
Country: Cuba
Posts: 15,775
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantokrator View Post
Let me ask this, because I am ignorant:

With Versteeg, obviously he has played well in the past. What is he CAPABLE of bringing to a team, and then what DID he bring to the Flyers this year?

I will be angry if Holmgren ends up flipping Versteeg for a 3rd round pick after giving up a 1st just 2 months ago. I'd trade him for a first rounder in ANY year. I don't care if it is for this year or not. But why would any team trade ANYTHING for the guy, based on how he apparently played this year with the Flyers?
What we were fed by the GM and some people on here is that, Versteeg is a 20 goal scorer who can play in all situations. What we saw though was him getting out of position, and when getting checked with a regular hit, him flying across half the ice.

I think they can get a 1st for him. The 3rd was the "trade deadline" value that was added to the 1st we traded for him. I can see a team like the Blues, or the Yotes, one of those teams take a stab at him.

sa cyred is offline  
Old
05-07-2011, 03:30 PM
  #155
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Versteeg needs to simplify his game... but he can compliment Richards a lot. I wouldn't be so quick to get rid of him, especially if you want paired lines. Right now we don't really have anyone to stick with Richards.

Jester is offline  
Old
05-07-2011, 03:32 PM
  #156
Jumping
Registered User
 
Jumping's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Atlanta Ga
Country: United States
Posts: 1,361
vCash: 500
I think GM leaves Detroit before Lidstrom does.

Jumping is offline  
Old
05-07-2011, 03:33 PM
  #157
SolidSnakeUS
Registered User
 
SolidSnakeUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Pipersville, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 31,083
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Versteeg needs to simplify his game... but he can compliment Richards a lot. I wouldn't be so quick to get rid of him, especially if you want paired lines. Right now we don't really have anyone to stick with Richards.
For some reason, Versteeg kinda reminds me of Leino, but more defensive and less spinning, but both complicate the game too much and can get themselves into trouble in the offensive zone. I'd say if Leino doesn't stay, put Versteeg with Hartnell and Briere. It might work out, I mean hey, someone on that line has to be somewhat competent at defense.

SolidSnakeUS is offline  
Old
05-07-2011, 03:35 PM
  #158
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...
 
sa cyred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Traveling...
Country: Cuba
Posts: 15,775
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Versteeg needs to simplify his game... but he can compliment Richards a lot. I wouldn't be so quick to get rid of him, especially if you want paired lines. Right now we don't really have anyone to stick with Richards.
The Richards line was and is mostly used in a shutdown role. Versteeg was said to be a player who can play on that. As we saw, I have 0 faith in a guy who constantly loses his guy in the defensive zone.

That being said, if you want a FA goalie, you are going to need to get rid of some players. If you can get value for Versteeg, while later being able to take a stab at a Vokoun, you pull the deal.

sa cyred is offline  
Old
05-07-2011, 03:35 PM
  #159
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
For some reason, Versteeg kinda reminds me of Leino, but more defensive and less spinning, but both complicate the game too much and can get themselves into trouble in the offensive zone. I'd say if Leino doesn't stay, put Versteeg with Hartnell and Briere. It might work out, I mean hey, someone on that line has to be somewhat competent at defense.
They definitely have some of the same attributes (for both good and bad) with the puck on their stick.

If Leino is gone, they need to move Briere back to wing.

Jester is offline  
Old
05-07-2011, 03:35 PM
  #160
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?
 
Pantokrator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Semmes, Alabama
Country: Guatemala
Posts: 4,386
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Versteeg needs to simplify his game... but he can compliment Richards a lot. I wouldn't be so quick to get rid of him, especially if you want paired lines. Right now we don't really have anyone to stick with Richards.
I want to keep him just to justify the cost. However, if he could be unloaded for a first, I wouldn't mind, since it would free up cap space.

Pantokrator is offline  
Old
05-07-2011, 03:36 PM
  #161
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
The Richards line was and is mostly used in a shutdown role. Versteeg was said to be a player who can play on that. As we saw, I have 0 faith in a guy who constantly loses his guy in the defensive zone.

That being said, if you want a FA goalie, you are going to need to get rid of some players. If you can get value for Versteeg, while later being able to take a stab at a Vokoun, you pull the deal.
That's just it, the Richards line is not a "shutdown" line. It's a two-way line. We're not talking Keith Primeau essentially giving up on scoring here... nor should we.

Jester is offline  
Old
05-07-2011, 03:38 PM
  #162
SolidSnakeUS
Registered User
 
SolidSnakeUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Pipersville, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 31,083
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
They definitely have some of the same attributes (for both good and bad) with the puck on their stick.

If Leino is gone, they need to move Briere back to wing.
Who would center Hartnell and Briere?

SolidSnakeUS is offline  
Old
05-07-2011, 03:39 PM
  #163
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantokrator View Post
I want to keep him just to justify the cost. However, if he could be unloaded for a first, I wouldn't mind, since it would free up cap space.
He isn't untouchable, but if it's a choice between Leino and Versteeg at that cap number... I'd prefer Versteeg going forward.

Jester is offline  
Old
05-07-2011, 03:41 PM
  #164
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...
 
sa cyred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Traveling...
Country: Cuba
Posts: 15,775
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
That's just it, the Richards line is not a "shutdown" line. It's a two-way line. We're not talking Keith Primeau essentially giving up on scoring here... nor should we.
Thats all fine... but you need the other players on the line to play a two-way game, which Versteeg hasnt shown he can do yet.

sa cyred is offline  
Old
05-07-2011, 03:43 PM
  #165
FlyersFanatic
Registered User
 
FlyersFanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Western New York
Country: United States
Posts: 274
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Who would center Hartnell and Briere?
I'd say Carter. A couple years ago those 3 were good together

FlyersFanatic is offline  
Old
05-07-2011, 03:43 PM
  #166
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...
 
sa cyred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Traveling...
Country: Cuba
Posts: 15,775
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
He isn't untouchable, but if it's a choice between Leino and Versteeg at that cap number... I'd prefer Versteeg going forward.
Well I think you could look at it like this

Would you prefer a 1st (traded for Versteeg), and Leino or just Versteeg (since we wont get anything for Leino).

Or a 3rd option of just a 1st (Versteeg) and signing a goalie.

sa cyred is offline  
Old
05-07-2011, 03:43 PM
  #167
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 41,991
vCash: 500
For as much as I rag on Versteeg, I'm not ready to abandon him just yet. If anything, he's shown he's tenacious, considering the beatings he routinely takes. He always rebounds immediately and dives back into the play.

edit: I wouldn't mourn him if the return is decent, though.

Beef Invictus is offline  
Old
05-07-2011, 03:47 PM
  #168
SolidSnakeUS
Registered User
 
SolidSnakeUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Pipersville, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 31,083
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFanatic View Post
I'd say Carter. A couple years ago those 3 were good together
So the lines in the top 9 would look like this then?

Nodl-Richards-Versteeg
Hartnell-Carter-Briere
JVR-Giroux-xxxx

Who would be the right winger? Pay 3 million for Cole?

SolidSnakeUS is offline  
Old
05-07-2011, 03:49 PM
  #169
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...
 
sa cyred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Traveling...
Country: Cuba
Posts: 15,775
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
So the lines in the top 9 would look like this then?

Nodl-Richards-Versteeg
Hartnell-Carter-Briere
JVR-Giroux-xxxx

Who would be the right winger? Pay 3 million for Cole?
Your assuming Nodl gets resigned.

After this past postseason, I dont think anyone is safe.

sa cyred is offline  
Old
05-07-2011, 03:49 PM
  #170
Snipsnap12
Registered User
 
Snipsnap12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,846
vCash: 500
We need some 3/4th line grit. We also need more production from those guys. I doubt versteeg goes anywhere. Give him a chance to have camp and offseason with the team. Everyone needs to remember he is still young, and has only played a few years in the league. He is a useful player that will only get better imo

Snipsnap12 is offline  
Old
05-07-2011, 03:50 PM
  #171
SolidSnakeUS
Registered User
 
SolidSnakeUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Pipersville, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 31,083
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Your assuming Nodl gets resigned.

After this past postseason, I dont think anyone is safe.
I don't think Nodl did anything wrong. He was injured, he has more of an excuse than some. But honestly, I did love Nodl's play this year. He was better along the boards and made some better offensive chances. I could see him maybe be in the 30s for points in the next season.

SolidSnakeUS is offline  
Old
05-07-2011, 03:59 PM
  #172
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Who would center Hartnell and Briere?
They don't have to be on a line together, but obviously Jeff Carter can, ya know, play center.

Jester is offline  
Old
05-07-2011, 04:00 PM
  #173
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Well I think you could look at it like this

Would you prefer a 1st (traded for Versteeg), and Leino or just Versteeg (since we wont get anything for Leino).

Or a 3rd option of just a 1st (Versteeg) and signing a goalie.
I don't want Leino at a 3M cap hit at all.

Jester is offline  
Old
05-07-2011, 04:01 PM
  #174
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline
 
CS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 14,005
vCash: 500
I'm seriously guessing...

Nodl - Richards - Versteeg
Hartnell - Carter - Briere
vanRiemsdyk - Giroux - Wellwood
Powe - Betts - Rinaldo/Shelley

Pronger - Timonen
Meszaros - Coburn
UFA - Gustafsson


UFA/Boucher/Leighton
Bobrovsky

Bold denotes
Italics denote possible switch up of pairings.

That means Carle traded, Carcillo dumped, Zherdev and Leino allowed to walk. UFA goalie and defenseman signed. Wellwood becomes a regular as does Gustafsson.

CS is offline  
Old
05-07-2011, 04:03 PM
  #175
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...
 
sa cyred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Traveling...
Country: Cuba
Posts: 15,775
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
I don't want Leino at a 3M cap hit at all.
So you think value wise Versteeg > a 1st and Leino?

I severely disagree with that...

sa cyred is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:34 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.