HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

ECF: #3 Boston Bruins vs. #5 Tampa Bay Lightning - Welcome to the Conference Finals

View Poll Results: Who will win the series?
Bruins will win in 4 8 4.12%
Bruins will win in 5 32 16.49%
Bruins will win in 6 96 49.48%
Bruins will win in 7 34 17.53%
Tampa Bay will win in 4 3 1.55%
Tampa Bay will win in 5 3 1.55%
Tampa Bay will win in 6 15 7.73%
Tampa Bay will win in 7 3 1.55%
Voters: 194. You may not vote on this poll

Old
05-07-2011, 05:42 PM
Strafer

vCash: 500
Did anyone in B's management say that Seguin will be in the next game (assuming Bergeron sits)?

Strafer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 05:46 PM
TwineTickler
TheUltimateBruin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greek_physique View Post
I personally think Seguin will make an impact this series and when bergeron is healthy to come back Thornton will be on the sideline

This year feels different then any other year. When I watch the bruins I dont feel as nervous and it feels like they'll win any night

Seguin stepping up just feels right
Love the positivity my friend, and my heart wants to believe that, and to a certain extent does... but the loss of Bergeron definitely has me reserved to cautious optimism. I'm praying Bergy can come back soon and that Seguin delivers in the time Patrice misses.

TwineTickler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 05:51 PM
BruinsFanMike82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strafer View Post
Did anyone in B's management say that Seguin will be in the next game (assuming Bergeron sits)?
"The assumption, which Chiarelli agreed with, is that Bergeron will be out to start the series and Seguin will get a chance to fill in.^BISH"

BruinsFanMike82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 05:58 PM
goflyakite

Let's go Bruins!

I hope Bergy isn't too hurt.

goflyakite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 06:09 PM
ksp1957

Send a message via AIM to ksp1957
Quote:
Originally Posted by goflyakite View Post

Let's go Bruins!

I hope Bergy isn't too hurt.
Too bad it's not Jack Edwards and it is the senile old Bob Cole, but GO BRUINS !!!

ksp1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 07:07 PM
Bruwinz37

I really do not like this matchup from our perspective. They have terrific depth at forward and we likely have the edge on D. Goaltending....well normally I would say that goes in our favor...but Roloson is playing very well.

I fear that Martin St Louis speed and shiftiness will give our D fits. They have great experience from guys who have won the Cup. Without Bergeron I fear this team is going to give us some real problems.

I will stay positive and say Bruins in 7 but I am truly saying that with my heart.....and the Bruins will need all of theirs to win this.

Bruwinz37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 07:12 PM
KnightofBoston
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruwinz37 View Post
I really do not like this matchup from our perspective. They have terrific depth at forward and we likely have the edge on D. Goaltending....well normally I would say that goes in our favor...but Roloson is playing very well.

I fear that Martin St Louis speed and shiftiness will give our D fits. They have great experience from guys who have won the Cup. Without Bergeron I fear this team is going to give us some real problems.

I will stay positive and say Bruins in 7 but I am truly saying that with my heart.....and the Bruins will need all of theirs to win this.
Luckily I'd say Vancouver - Sharks goes 7 games too

KnightofBoston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 07:19 PM
BigBadBruin8
@rsox1221

Send a message via AIM to BigBadBruin8
The best move for however long Bergy is out is to put Peverley in his spot and have Kelly center the 3rd line with Seguin on the wing.

Pevs isn't as good as Bergeron, but he's extremely talented and his offense has been muted playing on Kelly's wing. Giving him 2nd line minutes with Marchand and Recchi along with PP time and he's going to have a big series IMO; at least the games he fills in for Bergy.

Moving Kelly up would be a huge mistake, especially since he's been playing so well in the role he's got now. Wouldn't want to screw that up. The question is who plays the off-wing though, Seguin or Ryder? Ryder's got more experience, but Seguin's going to be jumping into his first playoff game in the 3d round. I'd say Segs is the one that ends up on RW with Ryder moving over to the off-wing LW side.

"I've gotta go run some little French guys over."--Shawn Thornton

BigBadBruin8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 07:28 PM
Colt.45Orr

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBadBruin8 View Post
The best move for however long Bergy is out is to put Peverley in his spot and have Kelly center the 3rd line with Seguin on the wing.

Pevs isn't as good as Bergeron, but he's extremely talented and his offense has been muted playing on Kelly's wing. Giving him 2nd line minutes with Marchand and Recchi along with PP time and he's going to have a big series IMO; at least the games he fills in for Bergy.

Moving Kelly up would be a huge mistake, especially since he's been playing so well in the role he's got now. Wouldn't want to screw that up.
Agreed.

Colt.45Orr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 08:03 PM
Sturm und Drang

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBadBruin8 View Post

Moving Kelly up would be a huge mistake, especially since he's been playing so well in the role he's got now. Wouldn't want to screw that up. The question is who plays the off-wing though, Seguin or Ryder? Ryder's got more experience, but Seguin's going to be jumping into his first playoff game in the 3d round. I'd say Segs is the one that ends up on RW with Ryder moving over to the off-wing LW side.
My initial thought was to move up Peverley, too, and keep the roles and distribution of minutes for the lines the same.

However, moving Kelly up with Recchi and Marchand might not be so bad, but the roles would change. That would become more of a straight up shutdown line, and Seguin-Peverley-Ryder would be our secondary scoring line. One could argue that Seguin and Ryder are more purely offensive players than Marchand and Recchi, and need a more offensive-minded centreman to be effective. Or maybe that means they need someone more defensively aware to compensate...

I guess in the end I'd rather move Peverley up, but I can see a justification for going the other route.

Sturm und Drang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 09:03 PM
81ragnaH

changed the av for this one...sorry marty, but business is business and i need ya to get stomped for the next couple weeks.

81ragnaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 10:24 PM
MaritimeHockeyNut
BRUINSrCHAMPS nextyr

I was pretty optimistic in the philly series but i'm thinking Tampa is gonna throw some curve balls at boston and steal a game here and there. Without bergy too, the chemistry might be a little lower then what it has been. With all that being said, I think Boston wants it more... Boston in 7 but just by an overtime goal. Looking forward to a great series though...

Go BOSTON go!

MaritimeHockeyNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 10:47 PM
BB79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play4Miracles View Post
Thanks so much for sweeping the Flyers! Too bad you couldn't nail Richards though...Oh well, there's always next season!

Good luck next round! I really like both teams, and although I think the Bruins are the better team, and I am picking you guys to win it in 6, I am still going to root for TB because of the hometown boy done good Ryan Malone. Gotta stick with my Burgh Boys when in doubt.

I got Vancouver winning it all this season, but give them hell the rest of the way, and thanks again! Gawd I hate Philly.
Let me echo this post. I'm a Sabres fan, disappointed my team didn't show for game 7 against the Cryers. Glad the Bruins took them out. Just wish Richards got buried, he's a punk. Hope you guys knock out Tampa and get in the big show against SJ or VAN, that would be a hell of a final. Good luck!

BB79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 10:50 PM
FROMSHORETOCHARA

I say Bruins in 7. We can win this thing, not just this series but the WHOLE thing.

TB series will be much tougher than the newer casual fans/media expect.

Saint Louis is awesome, Stamkos' ability is incredible, and Vinnie has as much pure talent as either. Lots of PP talent.

Roloson is money and he took an edmonton team with less talent than Tampa Bay to the finals.

Still, I think we can beat them. Thomas has been really really strong since Game 5 vs the habs. Plus, I think we match up Chara vs TB top line, minimizing their 5 on 5 chances. I think our top line matches up well against their D, I expect the krejci line to continue to burn it up.

Tough series, we need to bang them around to slow them down and wear them out while still staying away from sin bin.

Bruins in 7. Heading to the finals.

FROMSHORETOCHARA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 11:03 PM
KnightofBoston
MVP

I'd put Peverly up with Marchy and Rex, and put seguin as the 3rd line center, keep kelly at LW and Ryder at RW. Play Kelly or two centers in important faceoff situations. If you're not going to play Seguin at his natural position, than id' play Ryder on his off wing, he seems to get off more dangerous shots when coming up the left side.

Boston in 7 regardless of when Bergy comes back, I'd keep him out even if he's 100% until the finals, unless we're desperate, I think we can do it without him. Gotta chip and grind them down.

Old
05-07-2011, 11:44 PM
njbruin

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterjaggers View Post
We'll soon learn just how important Bergeron is.
But, of course, Julien will be blamed if we don't advance.
Let the excuses begin

njbruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 11:47 PM
KnightofBoston
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbruin View Post
Let the excuses begin
If Bergeron is out for more than half the series and we lose in 7 games, Id say not having him for those games or all of it is a pretty legit excuse as to why it was tipped slightly in their favor

That said I think Boston wins this. Im just hoping Bergy is ok and can come back 100% for the finals. If he does and truly is good to go and we make it there, I see no reason as to why Boston doesnt win it all

Old
05-07-2011, 11:56 PM
Fire Me
Cleared, BUT NOT OUT

EDIT: I'm a moron, didn't realize I was in the Bruins' forum. Ugh

Last edited by Fire Me: 05-08-2011 at 12:09 AM.
Fire Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2011, 12:17 AM
njbruin

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightofBoston View Post
If Bergeron is out for more than half the series and we lose in 7 games, Id say not having him for those games or all of it is a pretty legit excuse as to why it was tipped slightly in their favor

That said I think Boston wins this. Im just hoping Bergy is ok and can come back 100% for the finals. If he does and truly is good to go and we make it there, I see no reason as to why Boston doesnt win it all
I believe the Bruins win this in 6 , Bergy or not.

If they lose this series it will be for two reasons - 1) Special Teams 2) Julien/Bruins inability to deal with the 1-3-1 or any new wrinkle Boucher throws at them. Despite any prior playoff experience Boucher will not be afraid to adapt and make changes. Can Claude counter ??

They have more top end talent , but we have the more balanced roster. I give us the big edge on D and a slight edge in nets . Remember Roloson was acquired after we played the Bolts this year , he's capable of styming our offense , especially if our PP continues to look like crap. Getting PP goals will be crucial for our success in this series.

njbruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2011, 12:17 AM
MaritimeHockeyNut
BRUINSrCHAMPS nextyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotAct View Post
EDIT: I'm a moron, didn't realize I was in the Bruins' forum. Ugh
must be a canadan fan... lol j/k .. kinda...

If boston plays like in the phily series.. we do it in 6 otherwise... 7.

GO BOSTON!

MaritimeHockeyNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2011, 12:24 AM
KnightofBoston
MVP

Quote:

If they lose this series it will be for two reasons - 1) Special Teams 2) Julien/Bruins inability to deal with the 1-3-1 or any new wrinkle Boucher throws at them. Despite any prior playoff experience Boucher will not be afraid to adapt and make changes. Can Claude counter ??

They have more top end talent , but we have the more balanced roster. I give us the big edge on D and a slight edge in nets . Remember Roloson was acquired after we played the Bolts this year , he's capable of styming our offense , especially if our PP continues to look like crap. Getting PP goals will be crucial for our success in this series.
For sure, I think the PP is ready to pot in enough to make the difference, and hopefully Seguin plays his ass off and makes our PP more effective if he's on it

Old
05-08-2011, 01:20 AM
misterjaggers

McQuaid and Kampfer should be available.
http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/bruin...pfer-to-return

misterjaggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2011, 01:46 AM
Zdeno33Lucic*
BruWins

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theodoriph View Post
Not to nitpick, but why does Tampa's second line only have two people on it?
shea webers beard is the other linemate.

Zdeno33Lucic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2011, 02:51 AM
Cusick-n-Sanderson

the Chara/Lecavalier feud is so long-running and deep, we haven't even seen much of it in Boston. That is going to be an epic battle just between the two of them alone.

Cusick-n-Sanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2011, 03:02 AM
Dwatson783
@dwatson783

Quote:

I know you're not saying it will (that it's only a possibility) but I doubt that the 1-3-1 will be a killer to CJ- I think he handled it pretty well during the regular season and has the ability to in this series.

My concerns:
1. Patrice- he'll be needed in this series
2. Play down low- Tampa is willing to go to the net and is quick down low- we'll need to be physical, punish them when they go to the net, and out work them. They like to overload the puck so we'll need to make the efforts tiring and painful and in the end, gain possession so that we can either maintain an offensive effort or move the puck the other way. I think the strength we have along the boards gives us an advantage here as long as we don't get sloppy.
3. Special Teams- Again Tampa will be aggressive with their PK so we'll need to have the movement down, extend the length of possessions, and catch them moving too much. From there it'll be making sure we have traffic out front and put in the work to put pucks in the net.
Their PP is great- we'll need to again focus on keeping them from bringing the puck low to the goal line and then to the front. They'll make that move quickly so we'll need to be able to collapse the weak side dman towards the strong post, rotate the weak side high man low to pick up the extra man and then count on the remaining high man to slow down any chances that come back out high (essentially going from a box to a 1-3 and clearing traffic so Timmy can tie up the puck). If we slack off in this area, it could be disastrous.

While I have concerns, I think this team has the means of addressing them as noted above. I'm not as nervous about their skilled guys specifically- I think that we have the means of shutting them down and keep them from scoring once or twice then going all defense. We'll need to hustle, go to their net, be extremely physical and try to limit the number of and damage done by their power plays.

I think we'll take this series. If Patrice comes back with anything close to the type of play he's been bringing, we should be able to really take it to Tampa. Without him it'll be tough but is doable. Rollie could make this difficult as he has the ability to steal a game but if we bring pressure we may see his age catch up to him sooner than Tampa would like.

Dwatson783 is offline   Reply With Quote