HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

New nickname for Regin

Old
05-10-2011, 03:24 PM
slamigo
Skate or Die!

vCash: 500
One of the fundamental issues Regin had last season was TRUST. He is a 2-way player and usually very responsible defensively. Last season, the goaltending was garbage. The defence was porous. It's hard to manufacture offence when you simply don't trust the players on your team. Regin isn't skilled enough to try and cover for defensive lapses AND get his offensive side on track.
I think he'll definitely have a very good opportunity to turn things around this season and the competition for ice-time from Butler, Greening, Condra, etc, will push him to take more chances and show his offensive side. I'm hopeful that he can have a solid year and get into the 15-20 goal range.

If not, well, it's a common story in the NHL. He's good, but not good enough. He has a great opportunity to prove some people wrong next season.

slamigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 03:31 PM
Beville
#ForTheBoys

Overhyped, Useless, Replaceable...

Many other nicknames are also available.

Beville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 07:43 PM
Fenix Rises 2026
Alfie forever!

World championships anyone?

Fenix Rises 2026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 08:53 PM
DefenseMinister

Quote:
Originally Posted by trentmccleary View Post
Foligno, Butler, Greening, Condra, Z.Smith, Wick, O'Brien, Shannon... Regin looks like a much better 2-way talent than anyone of them. I'm not sure that any of them can match his offensive talent, probably Butler... but he's also much smaller and a much worse defensive player.
You need to add the UFA that Murray has repeatedly said he is signing to the Top 6. Depending on what they do with their 1st rounder (like possibly trading up), they also might end up with a forward they believe can play immediately. So there is a decent chance that 2 of the Top 6 spots after Spezza, Alfie and Michalek will be spoken for.

Regin, coming off major surgery and a 3 goal season will have to climb over top of 2 players in Butler and Greening who established strong chemistry playing with Spezza. Both of those players bring things to the table that are far more enticing than Regin's skillset. In Butler, they have someone who appears to be able to score goals when given the chance with top players. And in Greening, there is a big man who is smart and can skate who could be an ideal 3rd member of a top line because of his ability to go get the puck and play physically in addition to putting up some points.

Even Foligno, who is coming off a bad season (not as bad as Regin but still not great) would have the upper hand at this point.

I appreciate you have some blinders for the guy and obviously believe in him. I like him too, just not anywhere near a line that's supposed to score goals. In terms of the depth chart, Regin's contract guarantees he will be on the roster, but outside of that, he'll be fighting for playing time with the other Bottom 6 guys IMO.

DefenseMinister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 08:58 PM
Iamok
#Panic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefenseMinister View Post
You need to add the UFA that Murray has repeatedly said he is signing to the Top 6. Depending on what they do with their 1st rounder (like possibly trading up), they also might end up with a forward they believe can play immediately. So there is a decent chance that 2 of the Top 6 spots after Spezza, Alfie and Michalek will be spoken for.
There's no guarantee we actually get another top 6 forward through free agency. Pretty much every team in the league could use another top 6 guy, and with the cap projected to go up there's going to be a lot more competition.

It's unlikely that our own pick will play next year, let alone another pick that is quite a bit lower. In addition it's clear that one, if not all, of Spezza, Michalek and Alfie will miss a fair number of games, and we don't have any real depth to cover the gap there either.

The fact is we can afford to give Regin another shot at the top 6 simply because our top 6 is rather weak.

Iamok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 09:49 PM
My Sweet Shadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by trentmccleary View Post
He specified "at the point he was injured" and there's no reason not to. There's no point comparing him to Greening, Butler or even Shannon's whose ice time and production rose greatly late in the season. Anybody who would have played under Hartsburg and not afterwards would have looked like crap in comparison... this season played out exactly the same.
Alright. Drop off the last 23 games of the season for everyone...which drops off Greening, Condra, and Butler as they've played under 10 games.

New points per minute:

Jason Spezza - 0.0318
Alex Kovalev - 0.0313
Daniel Alfredsson - 0.0298
Jarkko Ruutu - 0.0267
Nick Foligno - 0.0261
Chris Kelly - 0.0258
Milan Michalek - 0.0242
Mike Fisher - 0.0237
Peter Regin - 0.0231
Jesse Winchester - 0.0195
Ryan Shannon - 0.0166
Chris Neil - 0.0160
Zack Smith - 0.0149

My Sweet Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 10:24 PM
Stylizer1
BoomBapOriginalRap

Hetrademe?

Stylizer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 11:00 PM
DefenseMinister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamok View Post
There's no guarantee we actually get another top 6 forward through free agency. Pretty much every team in the league could use another top 6 guy, and with the cap projected to go up there's going to be a lot more competition.

It's unlikely that our own pick will play next year, let alone another pick that is quite a bit lower. In addition it's clear that one, if not all, of Spezza, Michalek and Alfie will miss a fair number of games, and we don't have any real depth to cover the gap there either.

The fact is we can afford to give Regin another shot at the top 6 simply because our top 6 is rather weak.
There's no guarantee, but there's a very strong likelihood that there will be a player signed to play in the Top 6 as this is pretty much Murray's only target in free agency. They may not get their 1st or 2nd choice (although they have cap space to burn so money shouldn't be an object) but that doesn't mean they aren't going to sign anybody to play there.

As far as the top pick playing, I attended a season ticket holder event in the last couple weeks of the season which Murray made a presentation to everyone regarding the plans for next year. He used a powerpoint presentation (which was hilarious seeing as it appeared he had never used PP in his life). He presented us with the depth chart, talked about all the prospects and draft this year.

He stated emphatically that the Sens would be signing a Top 6 forward this offseason because they needed to fill the hole left by dealing Fisher. He said there was a possibility they would make another depth signing but that was a far less emphatic declaration. So unless he way lying through his teeth right to the team's season ticket holders, every attempt will be made this summer to find another Top 6 player.

They were unclear as to exactly where they would be picking in the 1st round at that point but they knew that it was unlikely they'd be selecting in the Top 3. But when asked if the player they selected would be playing in the NHL next year, Murray said that if it was the guy they wanted, he'd definitely be playing. I've been under the impression that the Sens fell in love with Landeskog when scouting him heavily earlier in the season and will probably try and make a move to get him. If that's what ends up happening, they've assuredly got him pencilled into the Top 6 next year.

Regardless, there is no way the Sens start the season with 3 bonafide scorers and a bunch of question marks.

Maybe when the offseason is over, we can all revisit this thread to evaluate Regin's true chances of having a scoring role on this team next year. Maybe it's just me, but I'm not going to be counting on my 3 goal scorer who is coming off major surgery to slot into that important a role without making significant contingency plans.

Oh BTW, that depth chart had Regin listed as a winger and he was pretty far down the list. Maybe that doesn't mean anything but I found it interesting. Murray spent a lot of time talking about next year's lineup and mentioned both the veteran core and young players that would be competing for spots on the team (the first time I had ever seen Mark Stone's name thrown into the mix by Sens management actually). Peter Regin's name was not mentioned once.

DefenseMinister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2011, 01:36 PM
otown

"The invisible man"

otown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2011, 02:09 PM
RISPECK CLASS 101

trade bait?