*OFFICIAL* Belleville Bulls 2011-12 Season Thread

Old
05-27-2011, 11:14 PM
Racer14
Always Watching

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by heusy_79 View Post
Caught the rookie scrimmage tonight. Keeping in mind that it was a first skate, here were the guys that stood out to me:

Carnevale: Not a high end skill guy but has good size and skating ability and handled the puck well at both ends. An OHLer this year in my early opinion
Wait until you see his shot! He is also a fantastic energy guy, willing to bang with anyone. he has many OHL skills...he will not your Gaunce type player, but he will be very good and the kinda player you need in extended playoff runs.

You guys will love him...

Racer14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2011, 07:22 AM
BrianA

I was only saw 1 period and the kids who I noticed were Ross(big kid)Boudreau(buzz saw)Subban(a couple of solo rushes)and Altshusser(helped his D with puck handling ability)

BrianA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2011, 03:36 PM
Dufus

Saw yesterday's games and today. G's looked better as time went on....Subban and Altshuller played well especially today. New F's in Lemmon / Carnevale did really well as they gained some confidence. Same thoughts on D as mentioned previously with good battles between Snelling and Brassard/Lemmon. Subban made some really nice passes and added a few good rushes. Smokler also looked better as camp went on. It will be good to see those who return to main camp in Aug.

Dufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2011, 10:21 AM
BrianA

This exercise has not changed the expectations.The 4 top picks are on the team and anyone else will be a huge surprise.
Besides the veterans along with Snelling and Altshusser,the rest of the kids are midget or Tier 2 Jr.
Did you see anyone else ready for the OHL?

Old
05-29-2011, 11:11 AM
Dufus

Being honest...I thought Smokler out performed Bignell for the far majority of the camp. Realistically, we know what's going to happen there. In terms of others O ready...none. Those Wellington bound will probably include Smokler, Delaurentis and I even would say toss in Subban for a short period. He needs to play with and againsdt bigger, stronger players before throwing him in against the OHL elite. That will give him the confidence he needs to bring his skills to the table. In camp, he left his post far too often to join the rush that he will not have the luxury of doing so in the O....especially at first.

Old
05-29-2011, 04:06 PM
JSavoire

Final Four

Dufus, the final four going through to play next year will be the first four picks. That's unless they screw up large and J. Subban will never play in Wellington since he's deservedly the best D prospect bar none from this year's Belleville draft. I watched from the second scrimmage forward and here's what I see:

1. Subban by far the most skilled D drafted this year in the camp. Yes he rushes the puck and sometimes not at the right time but so did PK if you remember watching him over the years with the Bulls. Where'd he end up...in the NHL. Burnett will develop the kid to make better choices but you'd never want to stop an offensive threat from the back end like that.

2. Lemmon/Carnevale...very similar hard-nosed styles and will make it harder for teams to play against the Bulls and that was one of the mandates for the Bulls. Give them a year to mature and understand the game at the next level and you'll have a tougher team to play against.

3. Berisha...soft hands, scored some nice goals and setup some nice goals. Should bring some much needed offense and it's easy to see now how the kid won OHL Cup MVP.

That's the four that will sign this year. Two kids will go to Wellington and the rest will play T2 elsewhere and Midget. Now there are those that wondered what some other surprises might've been at Camp and here's what I observed:

1. On D I was pleasantly surprised by the composure and first pass out of the zone of Brown. Smart player and has the vision to see the game at the right speed. One year of T2 and you'll see this kid up with the big club.

2. Up front the the tall and lanky Mueller has the speed and height already and some great hands. Got injured and didn't return so it was tough to get a better guage of depth of skills. If he could fill in his frame this will be a great pickup at 8th round of the draft.

Overall this was a good draft for the Bulls with smart pickups plugging holes in their current lineup. Once a few of the trades take place this team will be one of the top teams 2 years down the line.

JSavoire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2011, 06:05 PM
Dufus

JS,
Having watched draftees come in for the last 5 years...this club is about patience and development. In the case of Subban, there's no way her will immediately be an impact D in the O day 1. He most certainly will though through time. That time well spent should be in Wellington where he can play big boys hockey at a little slower pace. Then move him up to the big club when ready. The last thing you want to see is an injury rergardless of draft position. The other D's that come into play here are already mentioned. Order of prferred preference are Snelling, Subban, Mockler/Bignell. The other F's mentioned above (Mueller and Berisha) at least a year or two away. Like to see Subban and Alshuller rostered. Lets see what happens.

Old
05-29-2011, 10:33 PM
Tigers1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dufus View Post
JS,
Having watched draftees come in for the last 5 years...this club is about patience and development. In the case of Subban, there's no way her will immediately be an impact D in the O day 1. He most certainly will though through time. That time well spent should be in Wellington where he can play big boys hockey at a little slower pace. Then move him up to the big club when ready. The last thing you want to see is an injury rergardless of draft position. The other D's that come into play here are already mentioned. Order of prferred preference are Snelling, Subban, Mockler/Bignell. The other F's mentioned above (Mueller and Berisha) at least a year or two away. Like to see Subban and Alshuller rostered. Lets see what happens.
With respect,

Ill put a whole lot of money on Subban never playing in the OJHL.

Ive seen him play 30 plus times in game situations, and he will only get better by playing against the best.

He always played his best games against top teams, so one will expect him to bring that same ability to the OHL.

What about his game makes you think he should be in the OJHL? How many times have you seen him outside of rookie camp?

Last edited by Tigers1992: 05-29-2011 at 10:58 PM.
Tigers1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2011, 10:55 PM
JSavoire

My prediction is Malcolm Subban will be the starter next year Daniel Altshuller will be brought while Teichmann gets traded for another 93 D. On another note J. Subban will play the entire year up just remember I said that. Smokler not ready yet and neither is Brown who I liked a lot more on D. But I'm surmising that with the active shopping of some vets that the Bulls are looking at building for 2 years from now and that's why I'm betting the farm they sign Subban, Carnevale, Lemmon and Berisha. You're not drafting those guys that early to send them to T2 and with the much needed building for the following year that all falls in line. I know no one wants a repeat of this year as despite they're record it was the brand of hockey that made it even harder to watch. When I or anyone attends at least play some interesting hockey as that fills seats while we patiently support the club in the rebuilding stages. Just my thoughts...we'll see by August.

JSavoire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2011, 05:40 PM
brahmabull

Watched both Friday scrimages without looking at the player list so as not to prejudice myself toward any player in particular and here are my observations on what I saw. Everybody wants to comment on the kids from this years draft but some of the kids that really stood out to me were from last year.

Deric Boudreau was very impressive was all over the ice and reminded me of John Hughes only with grit and determanation.

The free agent walk on Mark MacAulay looked a lot like Shawn Matthias but a little smaller split the defence a couple times and has great speed.

Matt Ross is a monster with soft hands and is punishing along the boards but needs a little conditioning didn't look out of place playing foward though which isn't bad considering he was drafted as and played last year as a deffence man.

As for the 95's Jordon Subban looks great, skates and plays like P.K but dosen't quite have P.K.'s physical upside but that may come with time as he is not done growing yet he is deffenatly ready for the O but is the only deffenceman from the 95 group that is. After him I thought that Brown actually looked a little better then Smokler but it's to early to tell.

The forwards pretty well all looked good, Mack Lemmon should be nicknamed Mack truck loved the way this kid hits.

Carnevale is a decent playmaker reads the play well and plays well at both ends of the ice.

Berisha didn't rally stand out at first but after a little bit I started to notice him more and more, made some great passes and really seems to know where the other players are he may not make an imediate impact but this kid may be a good one in the future.

A few others stood out as well but I can't see many of them making it as Burnett needs to do something this year after the play of the team from the last couple seasons and really no improvement on the team from the year before. I would think that the top 4 95's make the team and think that both Boudreau and MacKauley have a good chance, and Ross has an outside chance with a little conditioning but his chances may improve if the kid can fight as well as he hits would be nice to have another big physical player upfront to go with Gaunce, Sandlak and Brassard.

brahmabull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 07:10 AM
Dufus

Tigers,
Dont interpret my comment about JS going to Wellington as a demotion. He's a good player with potential to be a great one. If we were to assess him assuming he had no brothers for a moment, I would say his has definite offensive upside, but he's very small. His footspeed will get him out of most situations, but not at the OHL level day 1. A brief stint in Wellington would give him time to modify his game against bigger, stronger, and faster players, without the additional risk imposed in the O. This would make him a more effective Bull sooner rather than later.
Compare Snelling / Bignell for a second. Both 94 draftees, both sign with Belleville, with one carded as a Bull and the other carded in Wellington and called up for the Bulls. Although Snelling was drafted 2 rounds ahead of Bignell...he plays tier 2 mostly last year. Then compare the seasons thery've had and more recently their camps. You can definitely see what benefits time in Wellington can bring.
Thoughts?

Old
05-31-2011, 08:02 AM
Tigers1992

Quote:
Tigers,
Dont interpret my comment about JS going to Wellington as a demotion. He's a good player with potential to be a great one. If we were to assess him assuming he had no brothers for a moment, I would say his has definite offensive upside, but he's very small. His footspeed will get him out of most situations, but not at the OHL level day 1. A brief stint in Wellington would give him time to modify his game against bigger, stronger, and faster players, without the additional risk imposed in the O. This would make him a more effective Bull sooner rather than later.
Compare Snelling / Bignell for a second. Both 94 draftees, both sign with Belleville, with one carded as a Bull and the other carded in Wellington and called up for the Bulls. Although Snelling was drafted 2 rounds ahead of Bignell...he plays tier 2 mostly last year. Then compare the seasons thery've had and more recently their camps. You can definitely see what benefits time in Wellington can bring.
Thoughts?
Whens the last time a 5th overall pick was assigned to the OJHL? Im not sure its ever happened.

He cant get bigger or stronger in the OJHL, and the skill level in that league wont challenge him at all.

It would hurt him, in my opinion, to play games in that league.

Tigers1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 08:26 AM
Dufus

Tigers,
Wellington is not like other teams in that league and the relationship between Bulls and Dukes is second to none. In fact, I beleive the Dukes went to the RBC Cup this past year so they are in the top 5 teams in the nation at least. JS didnt dominate during rookie camp this past weekend. What makes you think he will dominate at main camp in Sept, and then watch out for when the O starts. The Dukes are probably the closest thing to an OHL club at the tier 2 level, and I dont think JS would dominate that league either...especially at first. A month maybe a bit more at this level and re-evaluate is all I think would be best suited in my opinion...regardless of draft position. I realice that it probably wont happen though.

Old
05-31-2011, 10:12 AM
BrianA

Subban will not play in Wellington.He will start out as a 5,6,7 dman and Burnett will play him against 3rd and 4th lines where possible plus he will get some PP time.He will sit a few games especially road games against elite teams.He will follow the path Burnett took with P.K.
Altshusser may be close to signing with the Bulls according to Intellengencer.His agent is pro-OHL and his parents are not discouraging the OHL route.
Over on the Sarnia thread,they are talking of acquiring a veteran goalie and Teichmann would be a fit.They have some young forwards that could come this way.
Sarnia is a veteran team hoping to be an elite team this year.Silas could be another fit for the Sting or any other veteran team hoping to make a run.The return should be significant.

Old
05-31-2011, 11:08 AM
ottawafan66

Quote:
Tigers,
Wellington is not like other teams in that league and the relationship between Bulls and Dukes is second to none. In fact, I beleive the Dukes went to the RBC Cup this past year so they are in the top 5 teams in the nation at least. JS didnt dominate during rookie camp this past weekend. What makes you think he will dominate at main camp in Sept, and then watch out for when the O starts. The Dukes are probably the closest thing to an OHL club at the tier 2 level, and I dont think JS would dominate that league either...especially at first. A month maybe a bit more at this level and re-evaluate is all I think would be best suited in my opinion...regardless of draft position. I realice that it probably wont happen though.
I have to agree with you dufus. I saw him at the OHL Cup and couldn't believe how small he is. He didn't dominate there either and the only reason he went 5th overall is because of his last name and the relationship with Belleville. That being said, I also feel that he won't play with the Dukes.

ottawafan66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 11:11 AM
ottawafan66

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianA View Post
Subban will not play in Wellington.He will start out as a 5,6,7 dman and Burnett will play him against 3rd and 4th lines where possible plus he will get some PP time.He will sit a few games especially road games against elite teams.He will follow the path Burnett took with P.K.
Altshusser may be close to signing with the Bulls according to Intellengencer.His agent is pro-OHL and his parents are not discouraging the OHL route.
Over on the Sarnia thread,they are talking of acquiring a veteran goalie and Teichmann would be a fit.They have some young forwards that could come this way.
Sarnia is a veteran team hoping to be an elite team this year.Silas could be another fit for the Sting or any other veteran team hoping to make a run.The return should be significant.
Not sure if this means anything but Altshuller was at the Reebok Collegiate Hockey Summit in Montreal last week. He played in 2 games...looked weak in the first and amazing in the second.

ottawafan66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 11:15 AM
Dufus

Ottawafan66,
This is how things are in our town. Its is unfortunate but fact is fact. Bloodlines do not always allow you to ice the best team. Dont get me wrong here...some of ther boy's play justify their existence on ther club ; however some players are ythere only because of the connection and get preferential treatment in terms of opportunity. Back to JS...he will be a good one IMO. Org just has to be careful with his development as he will be a target by other clubs.

Old
06-01-2011, 04:49 AM
BrianA

Subban would not have lasted past 8 in the draft and if not for Bulls connection he may have been taken sooner than 5.
I had earlier questioned taking a D so early but Subban is a worthy pick at 5.When the games met something this year he was a dominant player and with experience he will be again.
20 games in to the season is when you can start forming realistic opinions but not after 2 days of orientation camp.

Old
06-01-2011, 06:20 AM
Dufus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianA View Post
Subban would not have lasted past 8 in the draft and if not for Bulls connection he may have been taken sooner than 5.
I had earlier questioned taking a D so early but Subban is a worthy pick at 5.When the games met something this year he was a dominant player and with experience he will be again.
20 games in to the season is when you can start forming realistic opinions but not after 2 days of orientation camp.
DING! Trade window open!

Old
06-01-2011, 04:00 PM
NHL Fanatic

Penguins relinquish rights to Andy Bathgate which will cause him to join the talent pool in the 2011 NHL Draft.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11151/1150292-61.stm

NHL Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2011, 07:27 AM
Dufus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL Fanatic View Post
Penguins relinquish rights to Andy Bathgate which will cause him to join the talent pool in the 2011 NHL Draft.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11151/1150292-61.stm
All seems quiet on the trade front in Belleville. Any word from anyone?

Old
06-03-2011, 07:49 AM
heusy_79
! kool uoy edam

Quote:
All seems quiet on the trade front in Belleville. Any word from anyone?
Wouldn't mind seeing Bathgate get dealt, but Gauce-Bathgate-Curtis is decent depth up the middle.

heusy_79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2011, 07:55 AM
Dufus

Quote:
Originally Posted by heusy_79 View Post
Wouldn't mind seeing Bathgate get dealt, but Gauce-Bathgate-Curtis is decent depth up the middle.
Any other trade rumours?

Old
06-03-2011, 08:20 AM
dirk

teichman will get dealt very soon...apparently altschuller is close on a decision to go OHL vs. NCAA

dirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2011, 10:34 AM
NHL Fanatic

Niagara trades D Simon Gronvaldt to Belleville for conditional '13 pick.

NHL Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote