HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

What to do with all of this playoff revenue?

Old
05-05-2011, 02:32 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

vCash: 500
What to do with all of this playoff revenue?

What do you think Poile does? I know everyone says 1st priority is to sign Weber and I agree. What about after that? SK74, O'Reilly?

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 06:46 PM
gopreds19
Formerly gobears19

Who should be locked up first? I'd go with something like this:

Weber > Rinne > Suter > SK47 > Cal

gopreds19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 08:01 PM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Force Sully and Dumont to retire, that pays for Weber. Use left over money to sign SK. Make trade or sign for free agent winger.

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 08:24 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

There's no need to force Sullivan to retire, he's a UFA. Just don't give him a new contract.

Dumont doesn't effect Suter's contract if we don't extend JP.

The possibility does exist for a buyout of JP and maybe Lombardi (depending on his health). That would provide short term cap relief.

No matter what, there won't be a big increase in our salary ... the midpoint of the cap remains critical to full revenue sharing.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 08:30 PM
Machinehead
RIP Robin Williams

And I don't just want the jersey, I want the player inside it too. Enough with this midpoint crap. The attendance is good enough to start worrying about winning.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 08:48 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
And I don't just want the jersey, I want the player inside it too. Enough with this midpoint crap. The attendance is good enough to start worrying about winning.
The attendance isn't good enough to cost the team several million dollars in the escrow phase of revenue sharing and remain financially sound.

It comes down to two of three .. Weber, Suter, $6mil plus forward. As the Preds have proven several times, it is possible to build a winning team while remaining on a budget. Or we can try the spend a lot of money and see what happens technique that works so well for Toronto, New Jersey, Calgary, Columbus, Minnesota ............

Old
05-05-2011, 10:38 PM
Reviled
Partisan

101st is correct, but he doesn't lead you, gentle reader, to the logical end of this line of inquiry: Specifically, it does not matter if all 82+ games sell out each year; the preds will not spend to the salary cap and thereby lose revenue sharing money.

Bummer, huh?

Reviled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 10:49 PM
BloatedGuppy

Quote:

This right here. Richards is exactly what Nashville needs. They need a game breaker, and if you can have one at any position you want a center first. He was virtually the ONLY reason a rag tag Dallas team was in the playoff hunt until the last day of the regular season. Add a guy like Richards, and Nashville is in the hunt for the division crown instead of always settling for the 4-8 slot.

BloatedGuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 10:57 PM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

Quote:

Don't tease me with notions like that.

golfmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 11:06 PM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

I mean, it is true. We are one star forward away from being a true cup contender. If we could just get Lombardi, Dumont, and Sullivan to gtfo we would have over $6M free to sign a free agent forward. Imagine something like this...

Erat Richards S. Kos
Wilson Fisher Hornqvist
Ward Legwand Hals
Spaling Smithson Tootoo

That is a very good line up... or if we could somehow get Andrei Kos to come to Nashville we could have.

S. Kos Goc A. Kos
Wilson Fisher Hornqvist
Erat Legwand Ward
Spaling Smithson Tootoo

Those are more potent teams than what we have right now...

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 11:40 PM
predfan98

yes, i'm sure if they go to lombardi and dumont and say, please, we don't want you to play anymore and will you please just forgo the millions of dollars of salary that we have contracted to pay you next year...........they will just say yes....... FAIL

predfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 11:43 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Were not going for Richards, hes a Center. The only way your going to see a true top player up front is via trade most likely

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 11:48 PM
El Duderino

Brad Richards would be a great fit on your team. Barring him though, what do you guys think about making some kind of blockbuster trade for Parise for one of Weber/Suter? Or do you guys prefer having 2 legit #1's?

El Duderino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 11:51 PM
Machinehead
RIP Robin Williams

Either a big signing, or a trade, or by waiting for a kid, this team isn't getting where it needs to be until they get someone who plasters pucks to twine consistently and in big spots.

Old
05-05-2011, 11:52 PM
Machinehead
RIP Robin Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Duderino View Post
Brad Richards would be a great fit on your team. Barring him though, what do you guys think about making some kind of blockbuster trade for Parise for one of Weber/Suter? Or do you guys prefer having 2 legit #1's?
If you have two great defensemen, keep them both. I've learned the hard way with the Rangers that you never know what they'll do alone (I.E. Redden wihtout Chara)

Old
05-05-2011, 11:53 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoveTheTeamAlready View Post
101st is correct, but he doesn't lead you, gentle reader, to the logical end of this line of inquiry: Specifically, it does not matter if all 82+ games sell out each year; the preds will not spend to the salary cap and thereby lose revenue sharing money.

Bummer, huh?
The difference in gate revenue between 15k and 17k paid at $55 average is $4.3mil .... one, our average ticket price isn't that high and two, that $4.3mil is before lost revenue sharing. So pass the midpoint hoping to sell out, at best break even if not lose money.

Old
05-06-2011, 12:13 AM
Reviled
Partisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
The difference in gate revenue between 15k and 17k paid at $55 average is $4.3mil .... one, our average ticket price isn't that high and two, that $4.3mil is before lost revenue sharing. So pass the midpoint hoping to sell out, at best break even if not lose money.
Agreed. Still a bummer.

The part of the equation you (and I) didn't mentioned is spnsorship. Selling another (random even number) 10 million in corporate sponsorships, coupled with 17k average attendance, would help ameliorate that scenario's drawbacks - depending on the owners' perspective, thus.

Old
05-06-2011, 12:13 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

We likely don't have the money for Richards, even with a Dumont buyout. We could probably get Gagne or Ryder for significantly less, though. Tim Connolly would be a good fit with his speed, but we've already had one run-in with a glass free agent signing...

ETA: Of course, if Lombardi is healthy, then it's a moot point, because we likely don't have a spot to add someone unless you want to trade someone.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 12:32 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoveTheTeamAlready View Post
Agreed. Still a bummer.

The part of the equation you (and I) didn't mentioned is spnsorship. Selling another (random even number) 10 million in corporate sponsorships, coupled with 17k average attendance, would help ameliorate that scenario's drawbacks - depending on the owners' perspective, thus.
The Nashville market isn't going to generate $10mil per year in sponsorships. The arena naming deal is something like 1/5-1/4 of that. If we could get average paid ticket price up to $50-55, that does wonders. The team has increased paid and total attendance but at the expense of lower average prices. It's a tradeoff that isn't going to magically fix itself to where the team is selling out at $55 per ticket so we can spend to the cap limit. Even spending to the limit isn't a guarantee of improved performance. Look at Minnesota, Toronto, New Jersey ..................

Realistically, we look at the money currently going to Sullivan sliding to Weber's salary and cap hit. A decision on O'Brien determines what kind of raise SK and O'Reilly receive. Ward is another decision point ... frustrating during the regular season, but doing well in the playoffs.

Lombardi is the wildcard for our cap hit and real salary. If it looks like he's done, a buyout might be the smart move and clear about $2mil in cap room.

I'll run some numbers later and see what I can come up with that fits the team's most likely financial limits.

Old
05-06-2011, 01:01 AM
dulzhok

dehumidifiers for one...

5 playoff games will probably net about enough to pay for JP's buyout

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 01:02 AM
Reviled
Partisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
The Nashville market isn't going to generate $10mil per year in sponsorships. The arena naming deal is something like 1/5-1/4 of that. If we could get average paid ticket price up to $50-55, that does wonders. The team has increased paid and total attendance but at the expense of lower average prices. It's a tradeoff that isn't going to magically fix itself to where the team is selling out at $55 per ticket so we can spend to the cap limit. Even spending to the limit isn't a guarantee of improved performance. Look at Minnesota, Toronto, New Jersey ..................

Realistically, we look at the money currently going to Sullivan sliding to Weber's salary and cap hit. A decision on O'Brien determines what kind of raise SK and O'Reilly receive. Ward is another decision point ... frustrating during the regular season, but doing well in the playoffs.

Lombardi is the wildcard for our cap hit and real salary. If it looks like he's done, a buyout might be the smart move and clear about $2mil in cap room.

I'll run some numbers later and see what I can come up with that fits the team's most likely financial limits.
I think we're in agreement. I wasn't making a counterpoint, so I probably should have added a "not bloody likely' in parentheses when I mentioned 10 million in sponsorship. I was just pointing out how large an amount more $$ would likely be needed before over-midpoint spending might realistically come into play. 17k average attendance at or above first/second year type of average ticket prices are still a couple years away, if they arrive at all.

The additional funds from the deeper playoff run this year just might be better spent on buying out Lombardi; no matter his status. I have zero confidence he'll be back at all, and less than zero confidence he'll come back and play any worthwhile stretch without another concussion. He's too, too fragile to be a remotely effective first line center. Bad luck for all. Pay him his money and let Poile & Co. approach the off-season without that big question mark. It would be nice to *not* have to dance around his contract for the next two years.

I think Sullivan is and should be done. Ward is the only guy who consistently works the boards hard, other than the up-and-coming Spaling. I think both need to stay, but Spaling gets a raise.

SK is nowhere this playoffs, so I expect that will temper his offersheet. We need him and he's good, but he needs more seasoning before he's worth additional millions in salary.

To me, SOB could go: Replenish the blue line with pipeline talent, and buy another vet d-man at the trade deadline next year, if needed. I wonder if/when Cube is coming back.

Old
05-06-2011, 01:03 AM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
We likely don't have the money for Richards, even with a Dumont buyout.
Simple... Sign Richards; Trade Legwand.

Let me upgrade u.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 02:21 AM
cleangene

Does that #10 have a NTC??? I think this team could sacrifice his 2-3 WEEKS stretch of great performances to miss out on that disappearing/figure skating act he brings to the team otherwise.

cleangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 02:21 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
dehumidifiers for one...

5 playoff games will probably net about enough to pay for JP's buyout
Permanent dehumidification would be a capital improvement and Metro, and only Metro, responsibility.

Old
05-06-2011, 02:35 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleangene View Post
Does that #10 have a NTC??? I think this team could sacrifice his 2-3 WEEKS stretch of great performances to miss out on that disappearing/figure skating act he brings to the team otherwise.
Erat scored 44 points in 48 games from December 1 onward, and he hasn't exactly been sitting around eating Ding-Dongs during the playoffs, either (which is about the only thing he could eat without putting it through a blender). He is far from a problem.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote