HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Winnipeg's NHL Team/Canucks' AHL Affiliate

Old
05-07-2011, 04:01 PM
Dado

vCash:
Winnipeg's NHL Team/Canucks' AHL Affiliate

With Winnipeg (allegedly ) getting the Thrashers, what's the feeling here, do we want a division oriented East-West that includes Winnipeg, or do we want a division going North-South, where we lose our Canadian rivals and become a Rim team?

Personally, I have fond memories of the battles with Steen and Hawerchuck and etc, and let's face it, Canadian fan bases are WAY more fun to tangle with than the west coast one, so I'd vote for a Vancouver-Calgary-Edmonton-Winnipeg division, despite the increase in travel.

White out vs white out.

Old
05-07-2011, 04:03 PM
vancityluongo
undisputed genius

vCash: 1070
Have them trade spots with Detroit if it's Atlanta. Put Byfuglien and Ladd in Chicago's division, not ours. Would make it a lot easier for me to make Winnipeg my second team, rather than having them as Calgary East.

vancityluongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 04:18 PM
Grub
First Line Troll

vCash: 500
Ughhh

Dustin Byfuglien.

Grub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 04:22 PM
Winnipeg Jets
Lucky #7

vCash: 1125
I hope so, would be nice to keep track of the Canucks since I've been following them for a while now.

edit: although if we get the Thrashers it would be weird cheering for Byfuglien

Winnipeg Jets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 05:10 PM
Winroba
Keep Calm, Kassi On

I say yes but only if it's PHX

Winroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 05:45 PM
Street Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
With Winnipeg (allegedly ) getting the Thrashers, what's the feeling here, do we want a division oriented East-West that includes Winnipeg, or do we want a division going North-South, where we lose our Canadian rivals and become a Rim team?

Personally, I have fond memories of the battles with Steen and Hawerchuck and etc, and let's face it, Canadian fan bases are WAY more fun to tangle with than the west coast one, so I'd vote for a Vancouver-Calgary-Edmonton-Winnipeg division, despite the increase in travel.

White out vs white out.
If it's ATL in Winnipeg, then the divisions line up either
W-E:
Van, Edm, Cal, Win, Min (1 PST, 2 MST, 3 CST)
SJ, LA, Ana, Phx Col (3 PST, 2 MST)
Dal, StL, Chi, Nas, Cbs (4 CST, 1 EST)

or N-S (Better for Time Zones)
Van, LA, Ana, SJ, Phx (4 PST, 1 MST)
Col, Cal, Edm, Win, Min (3 MST, 2 CST)

I'm more concerned about where the Canucks move their AHL team.

I know there are people on this board and the media that want the Moose moved to Chilliwack/Abbotsford, but that would be a mistake IMO.

Looking at the map of where AHL teams are located, the closest team to the Heat are: OKC, Manitoba, Milwaukee, Chicago. Not exactly convenient travel. Better to keep the farm club closer to other AHL teams. You want young players to be able to have the time necessary to practice and improve their skills, rather than spend too much time traveling.

Street Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 05:53 PM
MS

Vancouver should always, always be in the same division as Edmonton and Calgary, and with Winnipeg as well if a team is back there.

Canuck fans should riot in the streets if we get stuck in a division with the California teams that our fanbase generally couldn't give a rat's ass about.

MS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 06:23 PM
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS View Post
Vancouver should always, always be in the same division as Edmonton and Calgary, and with Winnipeg as well if a team is back there.

Canuck fans should riot in the streets if we get stuck in a division with the California teams that our fanbase generally couldn't give a rat's ass about.
That would certainly be my preference, MS.

Without a doubt.

Old
05-07-2011, 07:35 PM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

vCash: 0
well the scuttlebut that I picked up listening to thefan out of TO is that is the NHL can not get local owners for the thrashers--look for them to look at KC and see what happens

one rumour from about 2 years ago suggested that KC(they have a new 21k arena) was laying in wait to see what happens with ther NYI and that there might be an agreement in place with the NHL if the NYI are too move.

a guy named Paul Mcgannon runs something called nhl 21--which is a business set up to bring back the NHL to KC. The Sprint Center open in 2007 and can hold 19k for hockey

Welcome to Edmonton Connor McDavid--the rest of you HA HA HA HA HA HA
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 11:27 AM
Canucker1958

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
That would certainly be my preference, MS.

Without a doubt.
Mine too.

The Canucks had epic battles with the Winterpeg Jets.

Canucker1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 12:13 PM
PensFan6687

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Hawk View Post
If it's ATL in Winnipeg, then the divisions line up either
W-E:
Van, Edm, Cal, Win, Min (1 PST, 2 MST, 3 CST)
SJ, LA, Ana, Phx Col (3 PST, 2 MST)

or N-S (Better for Time Zones)
Van, LA, Ana, SJ, Phx (4 PST, 1 MST)
Col, Cal, Edm, Win, Min (3 MST, 2 CST)

I'm more concerned about where the Canucks move their AHL team.

I know there are people on this board and the media that want the Moose moved to Chilliwack/Abbotsford, but that would be a mistake IMO.

Looking at the map of where AHL teams are located, the closest team to the Heat are: OKC, Manitoba, Milwaukee, Chicago. Not exactly convenient travel. Better to keep the farm club closer to other AHL teams. You want young players to be able to have the time necessary to practice and improve their skills, rather than spend too much time traveling.
The Moose are owned and operated by the True North Entertainment Group here in Winnipeg, but since we have the team contracted out to you guys as the AHL affiliate it does put a wee problem into things. TNE has to either get out of their contract or have some sort of settlement agreement to have both entities part ways, or you simply buy the farm team from us and relocate it.

Also, this is going with the idea we actually get an NHL team. You guys know where I stand with this.

You guys may want it to happen. The media and the rest of the public may want it to happen, but if the NHL doesn't want it to, then it won't happen. I am still in that party I'll believe it when it happens, and the NHL is one stubborn gal.

PensFan6687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 01:04 PM
Canuckommunist

I'd rather play Pacific teams, but I'm probably in a minority.

Canuckommunist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 01:44 PM
Canucker1958

Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFan6687 View Post
You guys may want it to happen. The media and the rest of the public may want it to happen, but if the NHL doesn't want it to, then it won't happen. I am still in that party I'll believe it when it happens, and the NHL is one stubborn gal.
Agreed.

The last thing the American franchises want to do is try to sell tickets for a team from a city no American has ever heard of.

Canucker1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 05:41 PM
PensFan6687

Now lets let this NHL talk about Winnipeg lie to rest for at least a year.

No NHL next season in Winnipeg. Just received my Manitoba Moose season ticket renewal package.

btw Some changes made to the schedule for next season. Reg season is being changed from 80 games to 76. The regular season has been extended by a week and the first round will no longer be a best-of-seven series, but a best-of-five. There will be no more ridiculous 4 games played in a 5 day span like in the past. This is to help reduce player fatigue and to give a more entertaining product to the fans due to more rested player personal.

That is all.

Old
05-09-2011, 05:52 PM
DL44

vCash: 50
I would actually be ok with leaving the NW all together and moving into the pacific with Dallas finally moving into the Central where they belong and would thrive with time zones.

I think Winnipeg should slide into the NW with Nash sliding into the SE, and Dal into the Cen.

You need to keep Det in the west imo... the 2 O6's really still have a lot of pull.

Van, SJ, LA, Ana, Pho
Cal, Edm, Wpg, Col, Min
Det, Dal, Chi, CBJ, StL

DL44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 01:23 AM
Street Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by DL44 View Post
I would actually be ok with leaving the NW all together and moving into the pacific with Dallas finally moving into the Central where they belong and would thrive with time zones.

I think Winnipeg should slide into the NW with Nash sliding into the SE, and Dal into the Cen.

You need to keep Det in the west imo... the 2 O6's really still have a lot of pull.

Van, SJ, LA, Ana, Pho
Cal, Edm, Wpg, Col, Min
Det, Dal, Chi, CBJ, StL

I think Detroit wants out. Look at the playoffs right now. Phx, SJ, Van is the road to the Cup for them. That's a lot of travel.

Regular season, they still have to trek to Van/Cal/Edm/Col/SJ/Ana/LA/Phx 16 times. If they are in the Eastern Conf. they only make maybe 5 or 6 trips. Big savings in travel, which means more rest and/or more practice time. Also, in the playoffs, they could play 3 series in the Eastern time zone before the finals.

Even if they moved into Atl's SE division, fine with them. 20 road games against the NE and Atl divisions, plus 3 games against the Caps. 9 between Car/TB/FLA. That's 32 games road games in the Eastern time zone, plus the 41 home games. 73 games in the Eastern time zone. No chance they pass that up to remain in the West with Chicago.

The travel in the Central division for them is fine right now. It's the travel to the NW and Pacific that gets them.

Street Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 11:25 AM
Skobel24
#Ignited

Seeing Detroit in the east would be weird.

Skobel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 01:21 PM
Hugh Mann*
Hey! Hey! You! You!

This isn't even a question. If a team moves to Winnipeg, regardless of where it comes from, of course we want them to be in the same division as the Canucks. How many people here are old enough to remember the great rivalry? The playoffs in 1992 and 1993?

Hugh Mann* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 02:34 PM
DL44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Mann View Post
This isn't even a question. If a team moves to Winnipeg, regardless of where it comes from, of course we want them to be in the same division as the Canucks. How many people here are old enough to remember the great rivalry? The playoffs in 1992 and 1993?
If that were the priority... based on the franchise map above:

Van, Cal, Edm, Wpg, Min
SJ, LA, Ana, Pho, Col
Det, Dal, Chi, StL, CBJ

Nash into the SE

That would be the best from a travel/time zone standpoint if Van doesn't slide into the Pacific.

DL44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 02:42 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skobel24 View Post
Seeing Detroit in the east would be weird.
Not more "weird" than the Toronto Maple Leafs in the "Western Conference".

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 03:49 PM
DrChill

Honestly I like the idea oh the coastal . Yes we have great rivalries with alberta and Winnipeg in the past. Currently our Chicago rivalry I would say is the strongest. And the Alberta ones are weak right now. Having the games in the same time zones would be easier on players and possibly creat new strong rivalries with players in better health ( because of time zones ??? Maybe) and more inspiring games. Ahl moose schedule is moving to less games in playoffs and season to create a better atmosphere at the games they have... Do we take note??

It is all gravy if a team moves to Winnipeg team.

DrChill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 05:41 PM
Whitebear

If Phoenix goes to Winnipeg its sounds like Bryz is not going with them. I think it would be awesome if Cory Schnieder is traded to become the Winnipegs starting goalie. Question is what the Canucks get back. They have three pretty decents RFAs that IMO would be a pretty good straight across trade

Turis
Boedker
Korpikoski

What do you guys think of the possibility and who would the Canucks go after

Whitebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 05:56 PM
GCM
Stork

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitebear View Post
If Phoenix goes to Winnipeg its sounds like Bryz is not going with them. I think it would be awesome if Cory Schnieder is traded to become the Winnipegs starting goalie. Question is what the Canucks get back. They have three pretty decents RFAs that IMO would be a pretty good straight across trade

Turis
Boedker
Korpikoski

Canucks would want Turris, no question, but neither team trades those prospects within the division/conf.

Byfuglien in the division would suck.

Honestly, I don't care how they reorganize it as long as the end result is less travel for the Canucks. Travel is one of the largest reasons we have 400 injuries on defense all season.

GCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2011, 06:31 PM
lanky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitebear View Post

Turis
Boedker
Korpikoski

As a Coyotes fan I've been wondering what it would take to get Schneider this summer if Bryz walks. Turris is staying without a doubt and I don't think Phoenix would want to move either of Boedker or Korpikoski. They have very little in terms of offensive prospects but they have a whole lot in terms of defensive prospects. Gormley or Visentin (OHL goalie of the year) are two highly valued prospects that could be moved. Interest?

lanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 02:40 AM
PensFan6687

Coyotes going to Winnipeg isn't happening next season people. Glendale is getting another year to try and close a deal. So lets not get ahead of ourselves.

Also, the Jets name won't happen if we get a new team. True North Enterprises does not own the name so get over the idea the Jets will be back, because they wont... EVER! So mewh!