HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

WCSF | GAME 5 | Sharks vs Red Wings | 5:00PM PT | VERSUS (HD),TSN (HD),RDS (HD)

Closed Thread

Old
05-08-2011, 10:58 PM
irregardless
Registered Dummy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjsharklover View Post
Now that they are in this situation. What would you tell your team going into game 6 to possibly end it in Detroit?:
"See you next season!!"

Old
Chubbs
Toasty

Quote:
Now that they are in this situation. What would you tell your team going into game 6 to possibly end it in Detroit?:
Repeat what you did in the first 40 minutes and don't take your foot off the gas. Detroit will be pressing and desperate, and you have to match their compete level.

Marleau get your *** in gear and stop being a liability on the ice. If you don't score that's fine, but play some damn defense and skate harder.

Old
allworldcaucasn*

Send a message via AIM to allworldcaucasn*
Todd has said this team plays better when they are uncomfortable. The Sharks played a good game in my opinion for much of this game. But they never played desperate. When this team starts playing like a cornered animal, we'll see what happens.

Old
05-08-2011, 10:59 PM
MadmanSJ
Know Your Onion!

Looks like my signed Roenick jersey is coming out on proud display this week.

Old
05-08-2011, 10:59 PM
WTFetus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
I don't consider invisible games piss poor. Those happen frequently and he was neither good nor bad. The fact of the matter is that one guy doesn't win or lose the team a game or a series. It wasn't just Marleau who let off the gas after Couture scored. It wasn't just Marleau that got scrambled in their own zone when Detroit put on the pressure.

I'm not going to look at points as a determining factor for sucking or not. There are more to winning playoff games than points and Marleau has contributed on the defensive side of it a lot more than people are willing to give him credit for because he's not putting up enough points for people's liking.
Marleau has not been defensively strong though. I supported him through the thick and thin, but this series especially, he's just not doing it. He's making blind passes towards the opposition, he's coasting through the defensive zone, he's even losing board battles to clearly injured players despite having a better position. His play this series is just pathetic.

Old
05-08-2011, 11:00 PM
SactoShork
fun must be alwalys

vCash: 50
Quote:
"I promise to call a timeout when you guys are gassed. I will not send the line that just scored out again immediately. You guys did your job... time to send out a line that hasn't played in 20 minutes."

Old
ISharkted

Quote:
You guys are almost in the position to focus on your true passion ... golf.

Old
sjsharklover

[QUOTE=Chubbs;32941883]Repeat what you did in the first 40 minutes and don't take your foot off the gas. Detroit will be pressing and desperate, and you have to match their compete level.

Not to be dumb but shouldnt they have known that tonight????

Old
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by KzooShark View Post
The only difference between tonight and 2007 was that an injured Pavel Datsyuk made him look stupid instead of a lazy Robert Lang. Exactly when is this defensive effort going to pick up? 2007 his mistake turned a 3-1 series into a 2-2 series and Detroit won the next two, first at home and then in San Jose. Looks like he just did the same damn thing.
Except that wasn't Marleau's mistake in 2007. That was Kyle McLaren's mistake. Only people have this very high expectation of Marleau that when things go badly, their attention first goes his way rather than actually looking at the tape and seeing who is at fault.

Old
19sharks19

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
This. Tonight wasn't his first poor game. Tonight was his first absolutely horrible game. He's been coasting, not backchecking, and not blocking shots for the majority of the post-season. Just this game, his mistakes finally caught up to him and now even the Marleau supporters can't say anything.
And I can't understand why Todd had him on the ice closing out the game. Not the right time to 'hope' he comes around.

Old
Chubbs
Toasty

Quote:

Obviously not.

Old
05-08-2011, 11:01 PM
sjsharklover

[QUOTE=sjsharklover;32941913]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubbs View Post
Repeat what you did in the first 40 minutes and don't take your foot off the gas. Detroit will be pressing and desperate, and you have to match their compete level.

i would think they knew at least

Old
05-08-2011, 11:03 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Marleau has not been defensively strong though. I supported him through the thick and thin, but this series especially, he's just not doing it. He's making blind passes towards the opposition, he's coasting through the defensive zone, he's even losing board battles to clearly injured players despite having a better position. His play this series is just pathetic.
He hasn't played as well as he can play but outside of this game, he hasn't been pathetic. He's been average to good defensively depending on the game. Suffice it to say, I feel he hasn't been nearly as bad as people here want to believe. Suffice it to say, he hasn't been nearly good enough as well. There's a lot of hyperbole going on right now and understandably so.

Old
05-08-2011, 11:03 PM
Chubbs
Toasty

I said it earlier but I'll say it again. I really don't think the Sharks took their foot off the gas in the third, at least not until they were down. It's hard to find fault in the team when they're trying as hard as they look. That's why it's so easy to pin the blame on Marleau, because he's obviously the one passenger on the team and cost them on the two Detroit goals that weren't broken plays.

Old
05-08-2011, 11:04 PM
Derick*

Send a message via MSN to Derick*
Quote:
Great moments are born from great opportunity.

And that's what you have here tonight, boys.

That's what you've earned here, by winning games 1 through 3.

One game.

If we played 'em seven more times, they might win four.

But not this game. Not tonight.

Tonight, we skate with 'em.

Tonight, we stay with 'em, and we shut them down because we can!

Tonight, we are the greatest hockey team in the world.

You were born to be hockey players -- every one of ya.

And you were meant to be here tonight.

This is your time.

Their time -- is done. It's over.

I'm sick and tired of hearin' about what a great hockey team the Red Wings have.

Screw 'em!

This is your time!!

Now go out there and take it!

Old
05-08-2011, 11:05 PM
WTFetus

Quote:
He hasn't played as well as he can play but outside of this game, he hasn't been pathetic. He's been average to good defensively depending on the game. Suffice it to say, I feel he hasn't been nearly as bad as people here want to believe. Suffice it to say, he hasn't been nearly good enough as well. There's a lot of hyperbole going on right now and understandably so.
Well, if you're the only one not believing it, is it really a hyperbole or just an understated opinion on your part?

Old
05-08-2011, 11:05 PM
sjsharklover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cognition View Post

That's what you've earned here, tonight.

One game.

This is your time.

I'm sick and tired of hearin' about what a great hockey team the Red Wings have.

Screw 'em!

This is your time!!

Bravo!!!!!!

Old
05-08-2011, 11:06 PM
Chairman Mallard
Fun Must Be Always

Quote:
Every single person in the media, every fan in the stands, every fan watching on tv at home, and every guy in Red on the opposing bench, thinks this is the same old Sharks team that suffers a mental breakdown and lets the wheels fall right off.

You have two choices. Prove them all right and lay down like you've done for the last half a decade, or prove them wrong, and continue to be the resilient and uphill fighting team you've been for the majority of the season, taking it to the Wings in their house, and moving onto the West Finals.

The choice is yours.

Old
unintelligence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cognition View Post

That's what you've earned here, by winning games 1 through 3.

One game.

This is your time.

Screw 'em!

This is your time!!

a canadian channeling herb brooks, eh?

Old
Led Zappa
Steady As She Goes

Quote:
Except that wasn't Marleau's mistake in 2007. That was Kyle McLaren's mistake. Only people have this very high expectation of Marleau that when things go badly, their attention first goes his way rather than actually looking at the tape and seeing who is at fault.
This is complete ********. Always has been. Always will be.

Thereís a lot of things wrong with this country, but one of the few things still right with it is that a man can steer clear of the organized ******** if he really wants to. Itís a goddamned luxury, and if I were you, Iíd take advantage of it while you can.
-- Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
Old
05-08-2011, 11:07 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Well, if you're the only one not believing it, is it really a hyperbole or just an understated opinion on your part?
Yeah, it is when people are talking about benching him.

Old
05-08-2011, 11:07 PM
Plowevelski
:-)) Torres Fan Club

Detroit are banged up, the Sharks will be furious and focused. No way does this broken team win the next 2. Opposing fans would love to play the wounded animal known as the Detroit Red Wings but it isn't happening. Go Sharks.

Old
05-08-2011, 11:08 PM
allworldcaucasn*

Send a message via AIM to allworldcaucasn*
Babcock seems almost apologetic for winning.

Old
Chubbs
Toasty

Quote:
And that is where I'd have to disagree with you. Marleau has not been good defensively. He's been anywhere from average to terrible, but not good. He was noticeably terrible today.

If you want to see good defensive play, look at Couture and Thornton. Look at their effort on the backcheck and their commitment to helping out the defense. I was honestly surprised by their footspeed today, and they're not even known as fast skaters. Marleau is the fastest skater on the team yet he coasts.

This isn't even a knock on his offensive play. I could comment on his lack of board determination and how he gets beaten off the puck by guys half his size or with major injuries. I could talk about how he has no patience with the puck (much like Thornton early in the Kings series) and will often dump the puck to another player despite the coverage. I could even mention how he's gripping the stick too hard and not putting in goals even stone-hands Mitchell could score.

But really these points are not important. Like I said a few times already, it doesn't matter if he scores as long as he's not a liability defensively. Unfortunately he is.

Old
Led Zappa
Steady As She Goes

Quote:
Average to good on a third line that is on a team not as good as the Sharks.

Closed Thread