HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

WCSF | GAME 5 | Sharks vs Red Wings | 5:00PM PT | VERSUS (HD),TSN (HD),RDS (HD)

Closed Thread

Old
05-08-2011, 11:08 PM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zappa View Post
This is complete ********. Always has been. Always will be.
Look at the tape. From the blue line in, there should be two defensemen between the puck and the goal. Where is Kyle McLaren? The only people who believe that play is still on Marleau even with that are people who don't know a damn thing about hockey and just want to scapegoat a player with high expectations. Something that I would not put past the likes of you.

Old
05-08-2011, 11:10 PM
WTFetus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
Yeah, it is when people are talking about benching him.
Well, we all feel he's been a liability this series. Just because you don't, it doesn't mean our opinions are hyperboles.

Old
05-08-2011, 11:10 PM
sjsharklover

Quote:
Originally Posted by unintelligence View Post
a canadian channeling herb brooks, eh?
That speech kinda reminds me of the great Bill Pullman in Independance Day. One of the best rally the troops speeches in all movie history IMO

Old
05-08-2011, 11:11 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
Well, we all feel he's been a liability this series. Just because you don't, it doesn't mean our opinions are hyperboles.
And when the coach puts Marleau in, it will proven that it is. You don't bench your best players even if they suck one game or the whole playoffs. The reality is that while he hasn't been on the score sheet and hasn't been that good, he's not nearly as bad as everyone likes to think. Which is why it is hyperbole.

Old
05-08-2011, 11:12 PM
Chubbs
Toasty

There's nothing we can do about Marleau right now so we'll just have to hope he turns things around. However, I don't have faith in his play any more and I'm running out of excuses to defend him. Let's just say if he gets dealt in the offseason, I won't be crying about it as long as the return is good.

Old
05-08-2011, 11:13 PM
Led Zappa
Steady As She Goes

Quote:
Look at the tape. From the blue line in, there should be two defensemen between the puck and the goal. Where is Kyle McLaren? The only people who believe that play is still on Marleau even with that are people who don't know a damn thing about hockey and just want to scapegoat a player with high expectations. Something that I would not put past the likes of you.
I've seen a it bazillion times. If Marleau doesn't make the wrong mental decision, nothing else happens. Period. End of story.

EDIT: One could say that KM would have played it differently if he thought Marleau was going to play it as stupidly as he did.

Thereís a lot of things wrong with this country, but one of the few things still right with it is that a man can steer clear of the organized ******** if he really wants to. Itís a goddamned luxury, and if I were you, Iíd take advantage of it while you can.
-- Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Last edited by Led Zappa: 05-08-2011 at 11:21 PM.
Old
05-08-2011, 11:14 PM
Led Zappa
Steady As She Goes

Quote:
And when the coach puts Marleau in, it will proven that it is. You don't bench your best players even if they suck one game or the whole playoffs. The reality is that while he hasn't been on the score sheet and hasn't been that good, he's not nearly as bad as everyone likes to think. Which is why it is hyperbole.
I don't recall you saying the same about Wallin. I could be wrong.

Old
05-08-2011, 11:15 PM
WTFetus

Quote:
To be honest with you, that really means nothing. Wallin has sucked for long stretches of times, but did TMac ever bench him?

Old
allworldcaucasn*

Send a message via AIM to allworldcaucasn*
It's not like we haven't seen this before from Marleau. He is a hot and cold player, accept it.

Old
Jeff W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper Archetype View Post
Meh, don't worry too much about Detroit fans. They either (1) Are bandwagon fans that have never been to Michigan or (2) live in Detroit, so their life sucks anyways.

Sharks were the better team tonight. They were the worse team in game 3 and won. Now it's back to fair. We have 2 chances to beat the Wings. They won't go down easy, but we CAN do it.

Go Sharks.
Just goes to show you, every team has thier share of ******* fans.

Old
05-08-2011, 11:16 PM
Chubbs
Toasty

Quote:
Your first point: that's more the coach's fault if anything. I thought he lost the game for the Sharks in game 4 and I think he didn't help their cause in this game. He continually given a pass to Marleau in hopes he turns his game on but I don't think it was the right decision to put him in at the end of the game.
Your second point: Marleau isn't the Sharks best player right now. He might be on paper, but his performance states otherwise. Again, he's given a free pass too easily and needs to step it up like everyone else has.
Your third point: Yeah he's not that bad. It's not like he's been putting the puck in his own net, BUT he has been the worst Sharks forward. His play tonight was especially bad. I don't think anyone questions his skill when he's hot, but they are questioning his consistency and his compete level, the two things we could actually gauge.

Old
05-08-2011, 11:16 PM
WTFetus

We all know Todd McLellan isn't going to bench him. We just have to hope that he heats up. But even if he does, I'm sick of his playstyle. These hot-and-cold stretches just don't cut it anymore.

Old
05-08-2011, 11:17 PM
magic school bus

vCash: 153
Quote:
idk how you can defend him right now. i really don't know. after a while, it doesnt matter what excuses are there.

Old
05-08-2011, 11:18 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
I've seen a bazillion times. If Marleau doesn't make the wrong mental decision, nothing else happens. Period. End of story.
Wrong again but that doesn't surprise me. That goal was and has always been on Kyle McLaren for putting himself out of position. Two on one's that develop from the blue line is put on the d-man who gets caught out of position. Especially in that kind of late game situation. Pinning it on a forward is absolutely ridiculous and further proves the scapegoating point.

Old
05-08-2011, 11:20 PM
Improvise
Old School

Send a message via AIM to Improvise
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubbs View Post
And that is where I'd have to disagree with you. Marleau has not been good defensively. He's been anywhere from average to terrible, but not good. He was noticeably terrible today.

If you want to see good defensive play, look at Couture and Thornton. Look at their effort on the backcheck and their commitment to helping out the defense. I was honestly surprised by their footspeed today, and they're not even known as fast skaters. Marleau is the fastest skater on the team yet he coasts.

This isn't even a knock on his offensive play. I could comment on his lack of board determination and how he gets beaten off the puck by guys half his size or with major injuries. I could talk about how he has no patience with the puck (much like Thornton early in the Kings series) and will often dump the puck to another player despite the coverage. I could even mention how he's gripping the stick too hard and not putting in goals even stone-hands Mitchell could score.

But really these points are not important. Like I said a few times already, it doesn't matter if he scores as long as he's not a liability defensively. Unfortunately he is.
This post is spot on.

I feel the exact same way. He has had some great chances but for some reason has no idea where the puck is even though it is sitting on the goalline right in front of him, or he will just flick a wrist shot at Howard as soon as he crosses the blue line even though it's a 2 on 2.

I would love to see this guy just take the puck to the net as hard as he could just once. Just *****ing once.

Old
05-08-2011, 11:21 PM
allworldcaucasn*

Send a message via AIM to allworldcaucasn*
Well now we get to watch Smashville push it to 7 tomorrow, then Sharks close it out in 6 on Tuesday. Right? RIGHT?! YAHH!!

Old
05-08-2011, 11:21 PM
CrazedZooChimp
Not enough guts

vCash: 1875
Send a message via AIM to CrazedZooChimp
Finally back from the game. I had a sinking feeling about the middle of the first that this was going to be a game the Sharks were the better team but lost because of a ****** turnover/rebound/blown defensive coverage.

Our defensemen sure like getting manhandled in front of their net, and not covering Detroit players in the slot.

Also, Marleau is ****. He is completely pointless. And not just because he has no points...

Old
05-08-2011, 11:25 PM
19sharks19

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjsharklover View Post
Now that they are in this situation. What would you tell your team going into game 6 to possibly end it in Detroit?:
Babcock; "This team is failing under the pressures of the hockey world asking if the collapse has returned to San Jose. Just keep pressing and we can't lose".

Todd; "Don't worry, this time if we get a lead, i'm going to call a timeout to make sure you are all settled and your minds aren't in the clouds".

Seriously though, I also wonder what he will say as, if we are to really prove our worth, this team has to stand up and fight and quite simply, prove it.

Old
05-08-2011, 11:25 PM
Led Zappa
Steady As She Goes

Quote:
Wrong again but that doesn't surprise me. That goal was and has always been on Kyle McLaren for putting himself out of position. Two on one's that develop from the blue line is put on the d-man who gets caught out of position. Especially in that kind of late game situation. Pinning it on a forward is absolutely ridiculous and further proves the scapegoating point.
Never has a forward been responsible for a goal against.

Old
05-08-2011, 11:26 PM
Derick*

Send a message via MSN to Derick*
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJfortheCUP View Post
It's not like we haven't seen this before from Marleau. He is a hot and cold player, accept it.
San Jose Sharks official song:

Old
05-08-2011, 11:27 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Never has a forward been responsible for a goal against.
Keep proving my point. You put that whole goal on Marleau and Marleau alone. You ignore that a 2 on 1 that developed from there in means a defenseman is out of position and, lo and behold, McLaren was. You also conveniently ignore that there were two other forwards on the ice. One peeled ahead in Rissmiller in an offensive manner and the other was Guerin who was also caught on the wrong side of the puck. But no, your entire focus and blame has been directed to Marleau.

Scapegoating at its finest.

Old
05-08-2011, 11:34 PM
Flicktron

Out of curiosity, does anyone have the video where Filppula dove on that "high stick"?

Old
05-08-2011, 11:36 PM
Daily Special

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjshrky27 View Post
Trade Marleau.

It has begun...
Happily. When he's on, he's virtually unstoppable, but he's guaranteed to go to sleep at random times, and his overall 'meek and mild' "Byng" disposition is enough to want to move him.

Old
05-08-2011, 11:38 PM
Franchise13

Ok, home and calmed down a bit... I think I have a bit of a clearer head now that the frustration is subsiding.

First off, I saw JR's comments. JR is not wrong, we all felt that way, I know everyone I was at that game with felt the same way. He was right. However, he should not have said what he said in the manner in which he said it. It crosses a line, it ultimately may cost him in the future. However, the person calling out Patty should've been a teammate or a coach, and behind closed doors... not an ex teammate who has a penchance saying the outlandish trying to make a transition into another career. Know why players give interviewers/media cliches? It's because they are trained that way. No one truly knows what's said in locker rooms, it's quite disrespectful to air dirty laundry. If fans know something about how someone is playing, I'm willing to bet the players already know.

Fans are calling for his head, which is understandable, his effort, not even his performance was disheartening and deflating. If that was my son or a teammate of mine or what have you, I'd have felt the same way: let down. If I had a teammate dog it like that, my hand would've been on his facemask by halftime. JT (...or Boyle, Clowe, whomever) needs to get his boy in check here, but do so in a way that doesn't throw him under the bus publicly.

People calling for him to be traded? I hope they are only venting frustration, because it has a 1% chance of happening. That 1%? If Marleau asks for one.

People calling him to be sat...? For who? Like it or not, Marleau is too talented to sit. You'd be cutting your nose to spite your face. Wanna sit your mentally fragile star who's pouted once before? See where that takes you, it'd cause more problems (everywhere not just on the ice) than it's worth. For better or worse, Marleau will play, maybe he should have a reduction in time, but he will play.

Knee jerk reactions never work. Ever.

Keep in mind, I am not defending Marleau in way for his effort tonight. It was awful. Just a bit of perspective from my end.

I know it's hard for fans at times. But try and remain supportive of this team and it's players. I've seen players be booed at home at the sign of one mistake, and why? To what end? To make that player press even more? To force him in a situation to not care? It's an impossible position to be in. True fans of a team, who wish success for the team, should not put players in that position. It's ok to be critical, but try to be supportive as well, that's ultimately what fans are right? I'm not saying HP Pavilion will be hostile towards Marleau for a potential Game 7, or that it has been, but I've seen this happen before.

Despite the world seemingly falling on the Sharks... they still only have to win one game. -ONE- Though they had 2 chances to win one already, it's still in their favor.

Old
05-08-2011, 11:39 PM
Franchise13

Double post.

Closed Thread