HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Benoit Pouliot: not tendered qualifying offer (June 27)

Closed Thread

Old
06-10-2011, 12:23 PM
SpreeEndaz

vCash: 500
How about we just call him a misunderflop and get this over with?

Old
06-10-2011, 12:23 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
The message was clear during the playoffs. Pouliot is no longer part of this team.

He's gonna be traded for some pick (no better than a 2nd or 3rd).

What about Steve Bernier ? Florida just let him become UFA this week. He would not look bad on a 3rd line and he is a naturalo right shooter.
Might be a reclamation project if we can get him cheap...seems to lack drive and desire...has the frame to be a pretty good scorer and force physically.

Old
06-10-2011, 12:29 PM
habfan1968

vCash: 50
I would like to see Pouliot Eller and AK play a good chunk of the season together on the third line.

One year deal same price as last year, do it PG

Old
06-10-2011, 12:30 PM
WestIslander

As much as I dislike Pouliot and think that he doesn't have any focus and heart, I think that the following line might work and be interesting:

Pouliot - Eller - Kostitsyn

But...

Pouliot is done like dinner in Montreal and I don't see him coming back

So top three:

Cammalleri - Plekanec - Jagr
Pacioretty - Gomez - Gionta

Old
06-10-2011, 02:11 PM
Crusher20

Send a message via AIM to Crusher20 Send a message via Yahoo to Crusher20
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post
As much as I dislike Pouliot and think that he doesn't have any focus and heart, I think that the following line might work and be interesting:

But...

So top three:

I sure would like this lineup but we all pretty damn well know it wont happen. Anti-jynx-reversal twisted attempt here.

Old
06-10-2011, 02:28 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:

But...

So top three:

With Jagr as a place holder for some kind of RW acquistion I think that's what we might see next year. The way I see it next year's top nine:

Cammalleri - Plekanec - New RW/Kostitsyn
Pouliot/Desharnais - Eller - Kostitsyn/Desharnais

is what we are currently looking at. With Kostitsyn and Desharnais moving up or down depending on whether another winger is added.

Old
06-10-2011, 02:33 PM
Gainey#1*

Quote:

But...

So top three:

My idea exactly. Although I would prefer to acquire a player like Leino or Laich over Jagr.

As much I want to see Pouliot on a line with Eller and Kostitsyn, I have a feeling Moen will put Darch or Moen on that line.

Old
06-10-2011, 03:02 PM
S Bah

Quote:

But...

So top three:

I remember Jacques Lemaire going through the same things when he was starting.A LW/C he was a goal scorer with a blistering shot but he went through years of learning the defensive aspects of the game. Years later the center for Steve Shutt and Guy Lafleur on one of the most prolific lines the Habs ever had.Pouliot is going through the same process so before everyone inserts their foot in their mouths give him a chance,instead of whipping him like a stubborn mule.When our braintrust makes moves its not designed for immediate returns as much as long term requirements to build a solid team with interchangeable parts.

Old
06-10-2011, 03:04 PM
Marchy79

I know Benoit Pouliot hasn't been the greatest player ever as a Canadien... But I honestly am so surprised to see so many want to give up on him.

Personally, I like him a lot, and hope he can continue to grow in to a solid player for Montreal in the years to come.
It's not a lack of effort IMO, In all honesty, I havent said it, but it is a lack of discipline on the ice.
Martin doesnt like players who cost him. I just re-read Roy's book, and it kind of dawned on me. It has a quote from Craig Billington, who became Roy's backup in Colorado. Craig was offered a chance to reclaim his career (after being New Jersey's back up for years, and never really living up to his 'Billing' he was toiling in the IHL when the Avalanche called him and offered him the backup gig to Roy. He accepted (definately a huge upgrade in pay, and lifestyle than toiling in the IHL) so he showed up with the preconceived notion of this firey tempered Roy.

He realized it was quite the opposite. Roy totally accepted Billington, as an equal, a teammate and friend, as Billington puts it: He knew that the skill wasnt matched (Roy was butterfly technique, cup winner, multiple awards, and arguably the best goalie the world has ever seen) (Billington was a journeyman goalie...) But Roy totally accepted him, and they had a great friendship, where they spoke hockey until 430 AM at times... Roy respected ANY teammate no matter how small or great, so long as they were committed to giving 100% at all times (including practices et al)

This is where Benoit loses it IMO. Those consistently cheap 2 minute penalties for hooking, slashing, (he has 87 PIM's... he's not a fighter... I know he had Krejci... but not much else) means he's cheating the game... therefore he is cheating on his teammates, and his talent. Martin is probably frustrated to hell, and IMO Im sure Pouliot has been told to rather knock it out of his game.

But I dont think we reclaim a project, and get dismayed that we arent seeing INCREDIBLE results within a 1.5 years of his being brought in. It may take a bit to sink in.. But IMO Martin would not give up on him. Benoit has the talent to be something decent in this league. He just needs to get more honest to his game, and to his work out regimen IMO... If you gotta hook someone... come off the ice, or build the strength that you can do the play honestly, without costing the team 2 minutes.

If the habs told him to build the strength... IMO it will be easier to see come late august if he's going to be here for a while, or not.

Old
06-10-2011, 03:14 PM
Erik Estrada
One Country United!

He needs a skating expert to figure out what's his skating balance issue and then work hard on fixing the problem. He shouldn't fall when no one's touching him... Knee issues? Leg strength? Poor technique? Something else?...

Old
06-10-2011, 03:20 PM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

He's a talented player, and not half as bad as some people make him to be. But the habs aren't shallow on wings and in the end, he's not consistent enough compared of the rest of our lineup.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Pouliot being traded to a non-playoff team, put out a 30-goals season out of nowhere, and then never come close to repeat it.

Old
06-10-2011, 05:59 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
There are many things that can, and should be said about Benoit Pouliot, but I choose to hold them back.
Yes, just like there are many things that should be said about Carey Price, right? Worst day in history...

The fact remains that in spite of the hater, the guy is still young and can/should improve... under a coach that will play him.

Old
06-11-2011, 05:56 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
Yes, just like there are many things that should be said about Carey Price, right? Worst day in history...

The fact remains that in spite of the hater, the guy is still young and can/should improve... under a coach that will play him.
He has to earn his minutes, and I'm sorry, but he was being played. He was getting top 6 ice time and kept regressing to the point where he started getting 4th line minutes, and then finally he played so poorly he got benched in favor of a dman, despite having one forward with a separated shoulder and another dman with a messed up wrist. Think about that for a second. In game 7 of the playoffs the coach decided a one armed rookie was better than Pouliot. Martin didn't become one of the winningest coaches in history by being a poor evaluator of talent. Face it. Pouliot sucks, and lacks the drive to succeed.

Old
06-11-2011, 06:25 PM
Belso

Pouliot = healthy scratch in post season = gone

IMO......

Misunderstood or flop, he just wasn't contributing in any area.

I'd rather have Desharnais over Pouliot next season.

Old
06-11-2011, 06:31 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belso View Post

IMO......

Not just healthy scratched but healthy scratched in favor of Eller in game 7, who was playing with one arm.

Old
06-11-2011, 06:31 PM
habfan1968

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belso View Post

IMO......

Pools has more talent than DD but DD has more drive. Pools does ok for the ice time and role he has been given, posted career highs this past season and will probably improve. Now is not the time to give up on Pouliot but give him the chance to play himself out of the line up, I believe he can be a 50 point guy playing mainly 3rd line, getting some second line and PP minutes for around 1.3 to 1.5 he will be worth it.

Old
06-11-2011, 06:34 PM
habfan1968

Quote:
Not just healthy scratched but healthy scratched in favor of Eller in game 7, who was playing with one arm.
Sure, JM made a call but we get to watch the rest of the playoffs without the habs in it? Pouliot scored 4 game winners this past season and for that reason he should have been in game 7

Old
06-11-2011, 06:38 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan1968 View Post
Sure, JM made a call but we get to watch the rest of the playoffs without the habs in it? Pouliot scored 4 game winners this past season and for that reason he should have been in game 7
game winners are a totally useless stat. Pouliot was the worst player for probably any team in the playoffs, and Eller's one armed effort in game 7 was better than anything Pouliot showed in months.

Old
06-11-2011, 06:42 PM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

I haven't given up on him yet. 30 points with limited ice time and no PP time whatsoever is enough reason for me to give Poo another shot next year.

Old
06-11-2011, 06:45 PM
habfan1968

I really like Eller alot, but, Pouliot brings something different than Eller. Given a choice between the two I go with Pouliot, as Eller progresses that would change though. For this particular game 7, I would have played Pouliot, especially considering we had taken them to OT and it is tied 3-3.

Old
06-11-2011, 06:49 PM
habfan1968

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattKOTW View Post
I haven't given up on him yet. 30 points with limited ice time and no PP time whatsoever is enough reason for me to give Poo another shot next year.

Agreed, this is the point some are missing in this thread, Pools could gain more confidence and get more minutes but for now is only effective against the other teams 3rd or 4th lines. Even in junior he never got more than 67 points, if he ever gets that in the NHL it would be huge bonus. Pouliot should get another chance, the same chance we gave AK

Old
06-11-2011, 07:08 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
I really like Eller alot, but, Pouliot brings something different than Eller. Given a choice between the two I go with Pouliot, as Eller progresses that would change though. For this particular game 7, I would have played Pouliot, especially considering we had taken them to OT and it is tied 3-3.
If we had Pouliot we would have likely lost in regulation.

Old
06-11-2011, 07:16 PM
Belso

Quote:
Exactly...

Quote:
Pools has more talent than DD but DD has more drive. Pools does ok for the ice time and role he has been given, posted career highs this past season and will probably improve. Now is not the time to give up on Pouliot but give him the chance to play himself out of the line up, I believe he can be a 50 point guy playing mainly 3rd line, getting some second line and PP minutes for around 1.3 to 1.5 he will be worth it.
I have nothing against Pouliot "the person". One thing I like about him is that he's not dirty. And he's got all the physical tools to be dominant including amazing hands.. But he's just not using his size to his advantage, he's not physical enough and I'm questioning his hockey sense... He seems to be limited in that area.

Desharnais will never have the size or reach advantage over Pouliot, but he will make up and surpass him with his heart and hockey sense IMO.

Besides, I think he did play himself out of the line-up.. First the wild gave up on him, then after an entire season playing for the Habs was benched because the coaching staff preferred to play Webber (a defense) in his place during a very critical game. Imagine that. Since when is a defense player more valuable as a wing position then a natural healthy winger? Even Desharnais said he was uncomfortable playing wing in the play-offs. Imagine how Webber must have felt?

Maybe he's just not found his confidence at the Pro level. Maybe it's something else. But he's had all season to prove his worth to a second team giving him a chance and he failed to do that..

Like I said, I expect a trade...Or they let him walk...

Old
06-11-2011, 07:42 PM
Teufelsdreck

I like him, I preferred him to tubby Latenesse and he delighted me by decking Krejci and handling Redden. I'd love him to nail Brad Méchant.

Old
06-11-2011, 07:48 PM
le_sean

Quote:
He also had 15 goals in 39 games, 3 GWG the year before...then he proceeded to get 2 assists in 18 playoff games despite getting a chance with Gomez and Gionta.

He did the same thing in the WJC. He was supposed to be an offensive catalyst in 2006, but instead was nowhere to be found, was benched and the team had to rely entirely on hard work, defence and Justin Pogge.

Everytime he's relied upon to bring offence, he just doesn't show up. The higher the pressure, the worse he gets. Not exactly the kind of player I would want on my team.

He needs to find a different way to implicate himself in games because he can hit hard, and he can fight apparently. He produces like a 3rd liner but he doesn't give the consistent effort a 3rd liner should.

Closed Thread