HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Benoit Pouliot: not tendered qualifying offer (June 27)

Closed Thread

Old
06-26-2011, 04:13 PM
TheBuriedHab

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs23 View Post

The Pouliot thing is bad asset management.
Not really. To Qualify him you would have to give him the same salary he made last year. Theres a lot better things you can do with over a million dollars.

Old
06-26-2011, 04:13 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Needs link, brah.
will try to find it but most of you know me, Im not knew to report crap, thats what Lavoie said yesterday on RDS..

Edit: http://legrandclub.rds.ca/profils/60.../116429/public

Last edited by NewHabsEra*: 06-26-2011 at 04:24 PM.
Old
06-26-2011, 04:14 PM
cap10bfl

Send a message via MSN to cap10bfl
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Needs link, brah.
http://legrandclub.rds.ca/profils/60.../116429/public

Old
06-26-2011, 04:16 PM
Richiebottles
( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)

Send a message via AIM to Richiebottles
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
will try to find it but most of you know me, Im not knew to report crap, thats what Lavoie said yesterday on RDS..
I can also confirm it was on Sport 30.

Old
06-26-2011, 04:18 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

If Pouliot isn't re-signed I'm hoping it's because they're planning on adding proper depth up front. At least one top 6 player has to be in Gauthier's plans.

Old
06-26-2011, 04:21 PM
Richiebottles
( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
If Pouliot isn't re-signed I'm hoping it's because they're planning on adding proper depth up front. At least one top 6 player has to be in Gauthier's plans.
B.Richards

Old
06-26-2011, 04:21 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
RIP

Man... just flip Pouliot for a 5th in 2012. He's got the tools to do like Grabner did. Grabner showed up at Florida's camp lazy so he got cut and waived. Look what happened. I can see Nashville interested.

And who cares about Markov's NTC? Even if he under-performs, he isn't going anywhere. Injured = LTIR. Underperforming = 1st pairing.

Old
06-26-2011, 04:25 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotcarle View Post
I feel as though good asset management dictates that we need to qualify him, considering what we gave up for him. I like the idea of a Bergfors/Pouliot swap. Bernier...we could have taken for free off waivers in March. Pouliot's season wasn't even that bad. He had 30 points playing on the 3rd line with no PP. I think it's his attitude they feel is detrimental to the team. Trade him for Brule....4th for 6th 2005. Just kidding, Brule is brutal.
Bernier was not offered a qualifying offer and will be (is) a UFA on July 1st.

Brule is injured - often injured. too small to play the type of games is trying to play...like Saku used to play.

Old
06-26-2011, 04:26 PM
TheBuriedHab

Really? We are going to qualify him over 1 million dollars to watch him fall on his ass all season? Let him go for god sakes, Do something else with the million.

Old
06-26-2011, 04:27 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBuriedHab View Post
Not really. To Qualify him you would have to give him the same salary he made last year. Theres a lot better things you can do with over a million dollars.
Just like adding a tough guy like Konopka..

Old
06-26-2011, 04:27 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolkaTruesilver View Post
Guys, it's not like this player is a busted homegrown talent. He was crappy in Minni too, which is why we did the "bust-swap" with the Wild.

Plus, when you are given 5-6 minutes, you better give your coach a helluva 6 minutes if you want him to use you again. But Ben takes penalties, and is a general liability.

He should really start to think about how he can fit in better. It's his responsibility, not the club's.
Lats is not a bust and will continue to prove you wrong next season.

Old
06-26-2011, 04:30 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richiebottles View Post
B.Richards
Jusy replace Pouliot with Palushaj, who he a better all around player..

Old
06-26-2011, 04:30 PM
habitue*

Thre is already a thread about Pouliot and the Renaud Lavoie's rumour.

Old
06-26-2011, 04:32 PM
danyhabsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfaninvictoria View Post
Why give up on a UFA that has upside? Why can't we just let him develop, let's not forget that he has only 1.5 years of NHL experience. Yes he was a high draft pick. So what? Some players take longer than other to mature. We sign him to a bare bones contract and let him earn the next one. RFA's are valuable.

Mtl fans are so bipolar when it comes to our players. We overvalue them, hype them up as the next superstar and then when they don't deliver at that rate their bums and we want them traded for spare parts.

Pouliot can be valuable on the 3rd or 4th line and can be bumped up to top 6 if necessary for short periods. He has the skill level but not the compete level and that leads to mistakes and frustration against top forwards on other teams. In the bottom 6 he's got better skill than most he'd be matched against and could put up 30-40 points. Perfect.

With the right UFA signing we could realistically be looking at AK and Pouliot with Eller or DD at centre for our 3rd line.... I like their chances at putting up points.

For instance...

Sign Langenbrunner and we have

MaxPac/Plex/Cammy
Langenbrunner/Gomez/Gionta
Pouliot/Eller/AK
White/DD/Moen

That doesn't look too Shabby to me.
The top 6 are both offensive and defensively capable
The skill and size on the 3rd line is actually a bit scary and the 4th line is a great energy line.
Pouliot > Lagenbrunner

Lagenbrunner is done

Old
06-26-2011, 04:35 PM
overlords
Be quiet and drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post

Edit: http://legrandclub.rds.ca/profils/60.../116429/public
has nothing to do with not trusting you. Just site rules is all.

Old
06-26-2011, 04:39 PM
MM425

Quote:
Sometimes you just have to cut your losses.
My thoughts exactly.

Pouliot is very talented and even works harder than most give him credit for but the guy has to have some of the WORST hockey IQ I've ever seen in a player. He follows the puck around the ice like he's a Pee- Wee player and despite his efforts to try and show some sandpaper in his game, he's just not a very effective player physically either.

Unfortunately, you can't teach the problems that Pouliot has. At this point, I think his roster spot would be better allocated to somebody else.

Old
06-26-2011, 04:43 PM
The Gal Pals
Breaking Hab

Quote:
Pouliot's the only guy who can win a fight on this team and he has the potential to be a decent 20-30 goal scorer if he's used properly. It didn't help that he started the year with Gomez and played on 3rd and 4th line thereafter.

Old
06-26-2011, 04:44 PM
LowBallFern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs23
That's all fine and dandy on Markov, but the point of a NTC list is useless, if he gets hurt again then nobody will trade for him at that salary. If he stays healthy then we will want to keep him, seems strange to even bother coming up with a list.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by price131 View Post
If the Habs are struggling in year 2-3 he could be flipped for valuable assets. Not saying it's likely but it's nice to have the option/freedom.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Only if the 2 following conditions exist let say in december 2012:
a) He is healthy as a horse
b) He is having a SECOND outstanding year production wise.

My christal ball tells me it will be option 3
We are stuck with his contract for another 18 monts

Old
06-26-2011, 04:45 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by airic000 View Post
Pouliot's the only guy who can win a fight on this team and he has the potential to be a decent 20-30 goal scorer if he's used properly. It didn't help that he started the year with Gomez and played on 3rd and 4th line thereafter.
You mean fighting Krecji? I could do it with one arm..

Old
06-26-2011, 04:45 PM
Richiebottles
( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)

Quote:
Originally Posted by airic000 View Post
He is Snakebitten,Has Balance Issues,Lazy and Ryan White can also win fights. He is expendable. He will never be a top 6 Forward. He just can't handle the pressure.

Old
06-26-2011, 04:46 PM
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHill Seeker View Post
no hockey IQ, no commitment to strengthening himself during season or off-season, no grit or jam to his game on a regular basis.
too bad, because he has an extraordinary skill set, can fight etc...
all tools no toolbox
No grit?

On Feb 17, Pouliot fought Horcoff. He had 15 minutes TOI that game. The prior game against Buffalo, Pouliot had 16 minutes.

After the Horcoff fight, Pouliot gets his ice time cut to 10 minutes. And against the Canucks, his ice time is cut to less than 5 minutes............EVEN THOUGH he had an assist on a sweet goal by DD.

Look at the Playoffs. Pouliot fights Ference in Game 3 after that chicken **** charging penalty was called against him. Pouliot gets 3 minutes the entire game and the press box the rest of the series.........in a series where we could have used a goal scoring forward or two.

Pouliot has grit. His idiot coach, Jacques Martin, punished him for using it. JM squeezed the confidence out of Pouliot. And as long as we have JM as coach, look for threads like this each and every year........a "good offensive player" who cannot score goals any longer.

I wish Pouliot well. I am sure that we will be reading about how well he is doing and scoring at some other location. I only wish that it was JM not being given a QO as he heads out the door on July 1.

Old
06-26-2011, 04:49 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richiebottles View Post
He is Snakebitten,Has Balance Issues,Lazy and Ryan White can also win fights. He is expendable. He will never be a top 6 Forward. He just can't handle the pressure.
I can see him playng for Florida or Phoenix next season. He's gonna thrive over there.

Old
06-26-2011, 04:52 PM
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolkaTruesilver View Post
Guys, it's not like this player is a busted homegrown talent. He was crappy in Minni too, which is why we did the "bust-swap" with the Wild.

Plus, when you are given 5-6 minutes, you better give your coach a helluva 6 minutes if you want him to use you again. But Ben takes penalties, and is a general liability.

He should really start to think about how he can fit in better. It's his responsibility, not the club's.
That makes sense.

But it flies against reality when we saw Gomez get his 20+ minutes over and over and over again and was a general liability.

THAT is why all of this falls on Jacques Martin and his inability to get the most out of his players. Pouliot makes a small error........benched. Gomez doesnt do ****........more ice time.

Old
06-26-2011, 04:56 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
That makes sense.

But it flies against reality when we saw Gomez get his 20+ minutes over and over and over again and was a general liability.

THAT is why all of this falls on Jacques Martin and his inability to get the most out of his players. Pouliot makes a small error........benched. Gomez doesnt do ****........more ice time.
Gomez: 7,8 million

Pouliot: 1,3

JM loves his vets, and will always give icetime to the guys that are supposed (because of their salaries) to be the leaders of the team.

Old
06-26-2011, 04:58 PM
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
Gomez: 7,8 million

Pouliot: 1,3

JM loves his vets, and will always give icetime to the guys that are supposed (because of their salaries) to be the leaders of the team.

And then we wonder why we havent won the Cup in 18 years.

Closed Thread