HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Benoit Pouliot: not tendered qualifying offer (June 27)

Closed Thread

Old
06-26-2011, 04:59 PM
NewHabsEra*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
No grit?

On Feb 17, Pouliot fought Horcoff. He had 15 minutes TOI that game. The prior game against Buffalo, Pouliot had 16 minutes.

After the Horcoff fight, Pouliot gets his ice time cut to 10 minutes. And against the Canucks, his ice time is cut to less than 5 minutes............EVEN THOUGH he had an assist on a sweet goal by DD.

Look at the Playoffs. Pouliot fights Ference in Game 3 after that chicken **** charging penalty was called against him. Pouliot gets 3 minutes the entire game and the press box the rest of the series.........in a series where we could have used a goal scoring forward or two.

Pouliot has grit. His idiot coach, Jacques Martin, punished him for using it. JM squeezed the confidence out of Pouliot. And as long as we have JM as coach, look for threads like this each and every year........a "good offensive player" who cannot score goals any longer.

I wish Pouliot well. I am sure that we will be reading about how well he is doing and scoring at some other location. I only wish that it was JM not being given a QO as he heads out the door on July 1.
This is not what I call grit, grit start by winning your battles along the board, Pouliot has been playing against nature going for big hits at time, he wanted to prove something, that he has charactere too but his game reminds me of latendresse alot before he leaves, his bodychecks are usually late on every plays, he doesnt hits to gain pűck possission, what is kinda useless.. He tried to play through the system but he just cant, doesnt go to the net, has trouble to create space for himself and is easy to countain.. he has been tried on the PP acouple of time but it never worked, as I said the guy just cant react well when pressured hard by the opponent..

Last edited by NewHabsEra*: 06-26-2011 at 06:39 PM.
Old
06-26-2011, 05:08 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
This is not what I call grit, grit start be winning your battles along the board, Pouliot has been playing against nature going for big hits at time, he wanted to prove something, that he has charactere too but his game reminds me of latendresse alot before he leaves, his bodychecks are usually late on every plays, he doesnt hits to gain pűck possission, what is kinda useless.. He tried to play through the system but he just cant, doesnt go to the net, has trouble to create space for himself and is easy to countain.. he has been tried on the PP acouple of time but it never worked, as I said the guy just cant react well when pressured hard by the opponent..
Who did go hard to the net for the Habs?

You brought up an interesting point. Is it the players in Montreal? Or is it the system?

Old
06-26-2011, 05:08 PM
BLONG7

Quote:
No grit?

On Feb 17, Pouliot fought Horcoff. He had 15 minutes TOI that game. The prior game against Buffalo, Pouliot had 16 minutes.

After the Horcoff fight, Pouliot gets his ice time cut to 10 minutes. And against the Canucks, his ice time is cut to less than 5 minutes............EVEN THOUGH he had an assist on a sweet goal by DD.

Look at the Playoffs. Pouliot fights Ference in Game 3 after that chicken **** charging penalty was called against him. Pouliot gets 3 minutes the entire game and the press box the rest of the series.........in a series where we could have used a goal scoring forward or two.

Pouliot has grit. His idiot coach, Jacques Martin, punished him for using it. JM squeezed the confidence out of Pouliot. And as long as we have JM as coach, look for threads like this each and every year........a "good offensive player" who cannot score goals any longer.

I wish Pouliot well. I am sure that we will be reading about how well he is doing and scoring at some other location. I only wish that it was JM not being given a QO as he heads out the door on July 1.
You are somewhat bang on here, that being said, he takes some awful penalties, and tends to lose his balance twice a shift....he will not get an offer above 1M from anyone...this is the rock in a hard place scenario...sounds like he is gone from the team?

Old
06-26-2011, 05:23 PM
Montreal Typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
Lats is not a bust and will continue to prove you wrong next season.
Assuming he's not too fat to play.

The guy's work ethic is so bad that he makes Kyle Wellwood look like a fitness freak.

Old
06-26-2011, 05:29 PM
JackZap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railman View Post

The guy's work ethic is so bad that he makes Kyle Wellwood look like a fitness freak.
even if he weighs 350 pounds, he'll still score more than BP

Old
06-26-2011, 05:39 PM
Harpo
Lyle forever

Lots of Pouliot haters here, but that's nothing new.

We're Capital City of "addition by subtraction" and "he would've never made it here".

Can't wait to get Brett Festerling or a 5th for him. Oh or Dustin Boyd , the rights to Dan Ellis and Sergei Mylnikov, or Steve Weeks and the exclusive rights to negotiate with Garry Lariviere.

Old
06-26-2011, 05:39 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
Gomez: 7,8 million

Pouliot: 1,3

JM loves his vets, and will always give icetime to the guys that are supposed (because of their salaries) to be the leaders of the team.
Quote:
And then we wonder why we havent won the Cup in 18 years.
You can't be serious. If we played Pouliot more, do you think we would have won the Cup in 2010? 2011?

What I remember is that he had a great run of goals in early 2010, then continued to get first line ice-time for most of the second half, even after he had stopped scoring for WEEKS. In the playoffs, he would often start the game with GG make a defensive blunder and then be removed. You do realize that Tom Pyatt outscored Pouliot in the 2010 playoffs?

Jacques Martin gave plenty of ice time to responsible youngsters like PK Subban, MaxPac and Carey Price. At times, he played Tom Pyatt 12-14 minutes per game as well. Yes, he trusts his vets more, but so do most coaches, at least on contenders. But really, playing Pouliot more was NOT going to get us a Stanley Cup either of his two seasons here!

Having said all that, I'm still for giving him one more chance and tendering the QO, but I understand why the club might not want to do that.

Old
06-26-2011, 05:43 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by airic000 View Post
Pouliot's the only guy who can win a fight on this team and he has the potential to be a decent 20-30 goal scorer if he's used properly. It didn't help that he started the year with Gomez and played on 3rd and 4th line thereafter.
He's like the 8th best fighter on the club,,,if you have to pull out the fighting thig as a reason to keep him...then he should be gone.

I'm sure we can easily find a more productive player as a UFA.

Old
06-26-2011, 05:44 PM
SnapVirus

With all the freespace that we have. I'd rather loose Pouliot and sign somebody more physical than keep him.

For the team, it'll be better because we could get somebody more physical/skilled to play on the top 9 (and 6 with injury : Ex. Torres, Cole, Jokinen, Gagné) . And for him, it'll be better because he might get the chance to play on a 1st or 2nd line somewhere else.

Akost - Plekanec - Cammalleri
Pacman - Gomez - Gionta
Eller - Desharnais - UFA
Darche - Pyatt - White/Moen

Old
06-26-2011, 05:53 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railman View Post

Work ethic or not he is 5 x the player Pouliot is...he finishes his checks and can consistently put the puck in the net.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnapVirus View Post
With all the freespace that we have. I'd rather loose Pouliot and sign somebody more physical than keep him.

For the team, it'll be better because we could get somebody more physical/skilled to play on the top 9 (and 6 with injury : Ex. Torres, Cole, Jokinen, Gagné) . And for him, it'll be better because he might get the chance to play on a 1st or 2nd line somewhere else.

Akost - Plekanec - Cammalleri
Pacman - Gomez - Gionta
Eller - Desharnais - UFA
Darche - Pyatt - White/Moen
Langenbrunner or Upshall would be a huge upgrade over Pouliot.

Old
06-26-2011, 05:55 PM
SnapVirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Langenbrunner or Upshall would be a huge upgrade over Pouliot.

Hell yeah! Like 'em both.

Old
06-26-2011, 05:58 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
You can't be serious. If we played Pouliot more, do you think we would have won the Cup in 2010? 2011?

Yes, I am dead serious.

To answer your question, no, we would not have won the Cup in 2010 or 2011 if Pouliot played more.

Pouliot is nothing more than a microcosm of what is wrong with Montreal right now. The job of a coach is to coach all of his players (not just the $7 million veterans) and to ensure that he gets the most out of each individual player in order for the team to succeed.

If you start writing off players because they make a mistake or two or more during the regular season, what will you have left when it comes to playoff time?

Pouliot could have/should have been given a longer leash as he was producing points in February. And as a side effect, DD rode the pine as well, limiting his development. Ditto for Eller.

Think about the O'Byrne fiasco. JM benched him and then press boxed him and ended up getting PG to trade him for nothing. And then the injuries happened. We went through a Chinese fire drill with regard to DMen (and wont it be odd that after all of those trades [giveaways] that none of the replacements will be playing in Montreal next season??.......when we would have had O'Byrne all along if he was "coached - taught" and not excoriated when he made a mistake).

Wouldnt it have been great to see a confident Pouliot on the ice taking over for Pacioretty when he was hurt? No, JM destroyed Pouliot's confidence so he was unable to step up and take over. No, all we had left to fall back on was Moen..........not anyone else.

Pouliot is nothing more than a symptom, nothing more than a name on a jersey.

Old
06-26-2011, 05:59 PM
Pandemic

I don't see what the harm is in keeping him for one more year and seeing it through. Signing these great UFAs to take his spot is great and all but there are two problems with signing a bunch of UFAs. 1. It's a gamble, you never know if you can outcompete other teams to sign these said players and 2. you have to massively overpay generally in order to outcompete another team to sign said players.

Old
06-26-2011, 06:00 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandemic View Post
I don't see what the harm is in keeping him for one more year and seeing it through. Signing these great UFAs to take his spot is great and all but there are two problems with signing a bunch of UFAs. 1. It's a gamble, you never know if you can outcompete other teams to sign these said players and 2. you have to massively overpay generally in order to outcompete another team to sign said players.
The harm is, we can go out and sign a better top 9 forward on the UFA market taht won't completely disappear from March to May.

Old
06-26-2011, 06:01 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
The harm is, we can go out and sign a better top 9 forward on the UFA market taht won't completely disappear from March to May.
Cant score goals or assists when you are on the bench.........

Old
06-26-2011, 06:02 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Yes, I am dead serious.

To answer your question, no, we would not have won the Cup in 2010 or 2011 if Pouliot played more.

Pouliot is nothing more than a microcosm of what is wrong with Montreal right now. The job of a coach is to coach all of his players (not just the $7 million veterans) and to ensure that he gets the most out of each individual player in order for the team to succeed.

If you start writing off players because they make a mistake or two or more during the regular season, what will you have left when it comes to playoff time?

Pouliot could have/should have been given a longer leash as he was producing points in February. And as a side effect, DD rode the pine as well, limiting his development. Ditto for Eller.

Think about the O'Byrne fiasco. JM benched him and then press boxed him and ended up getting PG to trade him for nothing. And then the injuries happened. We went through a Chinese fire drill with regard to DMen (and wont it be odd that after all of those trades [giveaways] that none of the replacements will be playing in Montreal next season??.......when we would have had O'Byrne all along if he was "coached - taught" and not excoriated when he made a mistake).

Wouldnt it have been great to see a confident Pouliot on the ice taking over for Pacioretty when he was hurt? No, JM destroyed Pouliot's confidence so he was unable to step up and take over. No, all we had left to fall back on was Moen..........not anyone else.

Pouliot is nothing more than a symptom, nothing more than a name on a jersey.
How did JM destroy Pouliot's confidence? By playing him despite the fact that he hadn't scored in 8 weeks?

You can't be serious?

Go check how many games he went without a goal before he was finally sat out.

Quote:
Cant score goals or assists when you are on the bench.........
No but score once in awhile on the ice.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/player/gamelo...benoit-pouliot

His last goal was February 12th...he got 260 more minutes the rest of the year without a goal, most of that time with either Desharnais or Eller...and those guys played their best hockey of the year down the stretch!

Old
06-26-2011, 06:07 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
Wouldn't surprise me if we end up losing Pouliot for nothing. Asset management isn't exactly a strong suit for this team.
You're saying that a bit tongue in cheek, but it's so true. I'm really starting to question this management, coach and GM both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em Ancien View Post
I'd take a run at Bernier.

Doesn't seem like he'll ever be the scorer he was projected to be, but he still throws some checks and crashes the crease, which is a lot more than I can say about Pouliot.
If Latendresse didn't work for Martin, they better not go after Bernier. He's a right handed Latendresse at best.

Old
06-26-2011, 06:17 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
How did JM destroy Pouliot's confidence? By playing him despite the fact that he hadn't scored in 8 weeks?

You can't be serious?

Go check how many games he went without a goal before he was finally sat out.
Revisionist history at its finest.

On Feb 17, Pouliot had 17 goals and played 15 minutes. After fighting Horcoff and getting his ice time cut to 10 minutes against Calgary (next game) and then to less than 5 minutes against the Canucks (that cheap interference penalty called against him) where he had 1 Assist on DD's goal, Pouliot entered the Martin doghouse.

For the rest of the year he did not score another goal and only had maybe one or two games with more than 10 minutes of ice time.

You may call being "sat out" being in the press box. Pouliot stayed glued to the bench........with 17 goals........after the fight with Horcoff in the Oilers game.....and more specifically, after he took a weak penalty against the Canucks. He was "sat out" for all intents and purposes by Martin.

But matters not. Pouliot will be gone. Another "failed" player because of ____________________ ( fill in the blank....attitude....cant skate.....weak defense.....etc and so on) and we will read about Benny Pouliot pumping in goals at whatever team he lands with. And we will be saying "I wish that he would have done that here".

Old
06-26-2011, 06:21 PM
Erik Estrada
Nik Scherbak

To Watsatheo (can't find your original post):

You know the drill: "Buy Hi, Sell Low"... When we realize said player is not in the Habs long term plan, we take a few extra months to drive his value so low we get **** in return.

Old
06-26-2011, 06:23 PM
keepcalmandbeninja

Pouliot Pouliot Pouliot...what's thaat quote about talent not bring worth anything without hardwork or something? BP, is not as bad or as good as most people make him out to be, but the excusemongering is a source of humour, lots of players are given chances, some seize it...see Darche, Desharnais, others do not Perezhogin, Lats etc

BP may excel, probably not in mtl, as much as pyatt bring almost little offence to us, players who are def. Responsible will inherently get more ice time than give away machine, penalty taking player suchas BP, we give up on a lot of players sergei kost...grabovski etc I'm suprised the patience with BP lasted this long...only cos he was somehow somehow...picked 4th overall, at this rate BP will play elsewhere, unless he changes significantly...

Old
06-26-2011, 06:23 PM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subban76 View Post
He's mommy's little boy. Did you guys see the Nos Canadiens show on him?

Not mentaly though enough to play here.

Bye Bye Le Poulet

Don't care if he does great somewhere else, he will never do it here.

Get a 3rd for him and I'll be happy.
wow how come so much hate, I hope we keep him.

Old
06-26-2011, 06:26 PM
We Want The 25
Go Habs Go

dont understand all the hate pouliot is getting he came out flying and looked great but struggled at the end of that season and last year but he showed some good things and hes still young and just need to work on his balance and bring more passion i think its way too early to give up on him hopefully he gets qualified and another chance

Old
06-26-2011, 06:29 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

As much as I like Pouliot, I think we should qualify him. In the off chance he starts playing hockey at an NHL level we will be happy that we did, and if we do acquire the depth to knock him out of the lineup regularly we can always just send him to Hamilton.

Old
06-26-2011, 06:29 PM
Corncob

Quote:
Revisionist history at its finest.

On Feb 17, Pouliot had 17 goals and played 15 minutes. After fighting Horcoff and getting his ice time cut to 10 minutes against Calgary (next game) and then to less than 5 minutes against the Canucks (that cheap interference penalty called against him) where he had 1 Assist on DD's goal, Pouliot entered the Martin doghouse.

For the rest of the year he did not score another goal and only had maybe one or two games with more than 10 minutes of ice time.
Actually 12, by my count. Out of 22 games in the remainder of the regular season.

Old
06-26-2011, 06:30 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by giovannicanella View Post
Pouliot Pouliot Pouliot...what's thaat quote about talent not bring worth anything without hardwork or something? BP, is not as bad or as good as most people make him out to be, but the excusemongering is a source of humour, lots of players are given chances, some seize it...see Darche, Desharnais, others do not Perezhogin, Lats etc

BP may excel, probably not in mtl, as much as pyatt bring almost little offence to us, players who are def. Responsible will inherently get more ice time than give away machine, penalty taking player suchas BP, we give up on a lot of players sergei kost...grabovski etc I'm suprised the patience with BP lasted this long...only cos he was somehow somehow...picked 4th overall, at this rate BP will play elsewhere, unless he changes significantly...
Which leads right back around to my original point so many pages ago.

Is it the players....or is it the system/coach?

Is it more important to have players with little talent doing whatever JM wants and losing in the playoffs, Stanley Cup be damned?

The next (and hopefully last) two years of Canadiens futility (Martin's contract) cannot pass quickly enough.

Closed Thread