HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Artyukhin: Prepare for Glory

Old
05-09-2011, 07:17 AM
Alessandro Seren Rosso
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Alessandro Seren Rosso Send a message via MSN to Alessandro Seren Rosso
Calling Artyukhin's hit to Michalek "clean" is a very dangerous move by the IIHF, especially considering that it is no clean according to the rulesbook they themselves use.
There is imho too much buzz around Artyukhin (Rachunek's hit was probably charging, but if he fastened his helmet no one would talk about it anymore), but still I'd also like to see more hockey and less goonery, especially from our team, which is having a terrible tournament, mostly due to the lack of discipline.

05-09-2011, 07:36 AM
AwesomePanthers
Go Cats Go

Michalek never touched the puck either.

Last edited by AwesomePanthers: 05-09-2011 at 07:44 AM.
AwesomePanthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 07:41 AM
Tree-hugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
He laid a malicious, intent to injure, blindside headshot on Michalek when Michalek was nowhere even remotely close to the puck, that hit was worse than pretty much any headshot I've seen in the NHL, and it was laid in an international tourney where all headshots are illegal, and where the dirty play is traditionally on the low side.
Checks to the head are perfectly fine, if you're admiring your fancy new skates/perfect pass/tremendous shot/or what ever else you might have down there.

the rules are here: http://www.iihf.com/fileadmin/user_u..._September.pdf

I agree though that Arty was there to hurt people not to play ice hockey but that's on Bykov. Seriously - it was Bykov's decision to try to turn the game around using Arty.

Let's just see if any of the teams are able to turn the heat on Arty. If that happens, he'll take majors - rest assured.

Tree-hugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 07:43 AM
happysquirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnswiss View Post
He takes in count to eliminate his opponents even from the game and is laughing at it.
I don't get the laughing part. I think he is just playing the way he is told to play. It doesn't look to me like he is enjoying the results that much. It looks to me more like he feels uneasy about it.

In the end I don't think we should talk about the way some certain player plays. If the refs and IIHF tell that it's ok to play that way, then of course he should play that way, because he is very talented in playing that way.

If there's an outcry to be had, IMO it should not be targeted towards the player in question or team Russia, but IIHF.

happysquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 07:45 AM
hockeyman001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree-hugger View Post
Checks to the head are perfectly fine, if you're admiring your fancy new skates/perfect pass/tremendous shot/or what ever else you might have down there.

the rules are here: [url]http://www.iihf.com/fileadmin/user_upload/PDF/Sport/rulebook2010/Rulebook_52_101_-_30_September.pdf[/url
...not by the same IIHF rules you just linked:

Quote:
540 – CHECKING TO THE HEAD AND NECK AREA.
a) A player who directs a check or blow, with any part of his body or equipment to the head and neck area of an opposing player or "drives" or "forces" the head of an opposing player into the protective glass on boards, shall be assessed at the discretion of the Referee a:
Minor penalty + Automatic Misconduct penalty (2’+10’)
or
Major penalty + Automatic Game Misconduct penalty (5’+GM)
or
Match Penalty (MP)

b) A player who injures an opponent as result of checking to the Head and Neck Area shall be assessed, a:
Match Penalty (MP)

c) This rule supersedes Rules 520, 522, 525, 526 and 537 with regard to all actions described under articles a) and b).

hockeyman001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 08:00 AM
striker333

Too many whinning in this thread, all hits were ok except the one on mihalik. The majority of Czechs are soft and dirty players. They always try to provoke the opponent with their cheap shots and so on. Mihalek said smt to Artyuhin before the hit, probably trying to provoke him.

striker333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 08:05 AM
Tree-hugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyman001 View Post
...not by the same IIHF rules you just linked:
Addendum 6:

If the checking player is maintaining his position in the normal manner as a part
of the game while the opposing player is approaching him, his check will not be
considered as "checking to the head" unless the points listed in #3 or #4 above
apply.

Addendum's three and four you can read yourself. Those are basically high hits, jumping, and so fourth.

PS. Sorry, I didn't to want come off as an a-hole but there's a difference if guys are playing hockey or just to trying to hurt someone.

Last edited by Tree-hugger: 05-09-2011 at 08:28 AM.
Old
05-09-2011, 08:10 AM
Kassian54

Quote:
Originally Posted by striker333 View Post
Too many whinning in this thread, all hits were ok except the one on mihalik. The majority of Czechs are soft and dirty players. They always try to provoke the opponent with their cheap shots and so on. Mihalek said smt to Artyuhin before the hit, probably trying to provoke him.
Took me a while but could not find that part from the rulebook where they say that when someone provoke you on the ice you can hit them to head and get away from it by minor penalty....

Kassian54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 08:10 AM
Erathian

Quote:
Finally we have a solution. Czechs are soft and dirty players constantly doing cheapshots - all in one. Michalek deserved that because he was provoking Artyukhin. Nice one, sir

Erathian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 08:12 AM
MMANumminen

The bigger they are the harder they fall. He is a big SOB but better keep your head up today Arty. We don't have anyone to give him fisticuffs but nice elbow to the face will do it. Ruutu or Komarov I suppose...

MMANumminen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 08:15 AM
Reds4Life
HFBoards Sponsor

Two good hits on Rachunek, but the one on Michalek was really dirty. Apparent intent to injure and eliminate the player from the game.

Too bad, Arthukin could be much better player if he played under a proper coach. Russians were badly outplayed, so they needed to do something, but the hit on Michalek has no place in hockey IMHO.

Reds4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 08:16 AM
happysquirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMANumminen View Post
The bigger they are the harder they fall. He is a big SOB but better keep your head up today Arty. We don't have anyone to give him fisticuffs but nice elbow to the face will do it. Ruutu or Komarov I suppose...
Both are too important to be lost for a GM. It would be better if we would just play as usual and pray that it's he who takes the GM and penalties instead. I am sure the refs are keeping an eye on him because of the media attention.

When you can't match your opponent in pure power, you need to outmatch him with your wits.

happysquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 08:19 AM
cibtom
:(

Send a message via ICQ to cibtom
Quote:
Yevgeni, is that you?

cibtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 08:28 AM
hockeyman001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree-hugger View Post
Addendum 6:

If the checking player is maintaining his position in the normal manner as a part
of the game while the opposing player is approaching him, his check will not be
considered as "checking to the head" unless the points listed in #3 or #4 above
apply.

Addendum's three and four you can read yourself. Those are basically high hits, jumping, and so fourth.
...Except Artyukhin was not "maintaining his position in a normal manner" when he hit Michalek...he actively hit him.

That addendum is meant to protect players from being penalized while more or less standing skill or gliding who are skated into by players who hit their heads on some part of that player's body.

It is NOT meant to defend hits that would otherwise be illegal.

Let's try this again:
1)Artyukhin lines up Michalek, clearly looking at him as contact approaches

2)Artyukhin steps into the hit, indicating that he is initiating the contact, not Michalek

3)Principal contact to the head and neck area from Artyukhin's shoulder

4)Michalek's head is predictably driven back

hockeyman001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 08:52 AM
Tree-hugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyman001 View Post
...Except Artyukhin was not "maintaining his position in a normal manner" when he hit Michalek...he actively hit him.

]
So we agree on all accounts. The Michalek hit was outside off the play. Personally I would have given Arty a fiver for roughing for that mockery of ice hockey. You should be and will be able to handle this short of goonery. Game on guys ?

Old
05-09-2011, 08:57 AM
Davebo
beep beep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeacEnforcer View Post
Stop bashing Artyukhin. So why whine so much???

He's not a dirty player
Why am I getting 'this' sort of vibe from that post.... \

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHmvkRoEowc

Davebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 09:30 AM
klikkar

oh well, its official

http://www.iihf.com/channels-11/iihf...ash=36593fbc63
Quote:
BRATISLAVA – The directorate chairman of the 2011 IIHF World Championship, IIHF President René Fasel, called on Monday at noon for the disciplinary panel to review the situation involving Russian player Yevgeni Artyukhin and Czech player Milan Michalek.

Michalek was injured following Artyukhin’s check in the game between the Czech Republic and Russia (3-2) on Sunday, May 8. On the play Artyukhin was assessed a two-minute interference penalty.

Upon further review the disciplinary panel decided not to issue any further supplementary disciplinary action.

klikkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 12:02 PM
Juzmo
Hello

vCash: 690
Arty and his power balance bracelet:

Juzmo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 12:12 PM
Diagonaali

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juzmo View Post
Arty and his power balance bracelet:

Wow, nice find spotting that. I guess those things really work then. They give you strength and speed but your intelligence level will get significantly lower than an average human being meanwhile.

Diagonaali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 12:24 PM
Finnpin

Pyörälä commented on R2: "He has been at home during lunch time"

IMO he reminds Ivan Drago:

Finnpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 01:00 PM
Madude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diagonaali View Post
Wow, nice find spotting that. I guess those things really work then. They give you strength and speed but your intelligence level will get significantly lower than an average human being meanwhile.
Lol you know that Teemu Selänne wears one too, right? I'd choose my words more carefully when it comes to superstitious items.

Madude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 01:21 PM
BobDobolina

He's a Russian machine that never breaks. Yes the hit on Michalek was dirty but the crying and the hype around him is beyond ridiculous. His job is to finish his checks and that's exactly what he does. He's hardly the first player who plays on the edge and at this point he's a good little boy scout compared to Messier for example who was dirty as hell at times. Times have changed though so every damn hard hit is a major controversy these days.

BobDobolina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 01:21 PM
Diagonaali

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madude View Post
Lol you know that Teemu Selänne wears one too, right? I'd choose my words more carefully when it comes to superstitious items.
That's just what the salesmen say to you. Never seen it in his wrist during games.

Diagonaali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 01:24 PM
QnebO

So whats power balance? I could as well google, but i think at HFboards i will get more accurate information. I think reading "powerbalance.com" commercials wont be best info about how good and what is it

QnebO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 01:37 PM
benr

Quote:
Originally Posted by QnebO View Post
So whats power balance? I could as well google, but i think at HFboards i will get more accurate information. I think reading "powerbalance.com" commercials wont be best info about how good and what is it
Its a piece of plastic that is enchanted with magic pretty much.

Its too bad Michalek got injured for being the only one on the team who has a chance at standing up to R2. He was pretty good for standing up for team mates in Ottawa too, actually.

benr is offline   Reply With Quote