HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Which top North American prospect in the 2014 draft has the LOWEST ceiling?

Old
04-08-2014, 03:16 PM
Sticks and Pucks

vCash: 500
Which top North American prospect in the 2014 draft has the LOWEST ceiling?

With all the talk about how great each top prospect is, I thought I'd change it up and ask which of the following players you guys think has the lowest ceiling when it comes to potential. They're basically the top 10 NA rated skaters released by CSS this morning.

Bennett
Ekblad
Reinhart
Draisaitl
Dal Colle
Virtanen
Ritchie
Perlini
Fleury
McCann

Sticks and Pucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2014, 03:38 PM
Patmac40
BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticks and Pucks View Post
With all the talk about how great each top prospect is, I thought I'd change it up and ask which of the following players you guys think has the lowest ceiling when it comes to potential. They're basically the top 10 NA rated skaters released by CSS this morning.

Bennett
Ekblad
Reinhart
Draisaitl
Dal Colle
Virtanen
Ritchie
Perlini
Fleury
McCann
I think Perlini probably does. I just don't see the hockey sense allowing him to make good use of his skills.

Patmac40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2014, 03:56 PM
ZeroPT
Faschist Computer

Perlini or McCann.

ZeroPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2014, 04:24 PM
dodonpa

At this point imo, it's Perlini. He's got some good tools but he's streaky and already shies away from any physical contact which is surprising given his physique. If he decides to become more gutsy, he's gonna be a pretty good winger.

Otherwise it's McCann. I really like him as a player but Zack Smith comes to mind when watching him, which isn't a bad thing though. He's a safe pick. I see him as a good third center.

dodonpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2014, 04:26 PM
drw02
Registered Abuser

Virtanen or Perlini imo.

drw02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2014, 05:27 PM
Sticks and Pucks

I'm wondering what people familiar with Nick Ritchie think of his potential. He's a late '95 but he was drafted second in the OHL Priority Selection after Ekblad (and ahead of guys like Horvat and Nurse) so he's not your typical late blooming late birthday. He's also already 225lbs so I'm wondering how much more can Ritchie develop compared to his peers in this draft.

Sticks and Pucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2014, 05:32 PM
Ashasx

Definitely Ritchie.

Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2014, 05:39 PM
Kulemon

McCann has more upside than he's getting credit for. He has more to show offensively as well as some great tools like his great skating and shot.

Perlini has some serious red flags for me.

Kulemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2014, 06:03 PM
BoDacious Horvat

I'd say McCann, no knock against him. Good two way player, and a safe pick imo. Just think outside of the other guys his potential is lowest. For Perlini and Virtanen it's just a matter of putting it together so the higher potential is still there. Unless Virtanen's IQ really is that low then probably him.

BoDacious Horvat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2014, 06:04 PM
Joey Bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulemon View Post
McCann has more upside than he's getting credit for. He has more to show offensively as well as some great tools like his great skating and shot.

Perlini has some serious red flags for me.
Completely agree to this.

Joey Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2014, 06:28 PM
ZeroPT
Faschist Computer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
Definitely Ritchie.
Lowest ceiling? Ritchie? Not at all.

He has a massive ceiling. He has all the tools you'd want in an elite power-forward. We're purely talking ceiling here. He's up in the top 6 of the draft in terms of ceiling.

Ekblad--->Franchise #1D-man
Reinhart-->Franchise #1 Center
Bennett--> borderline franchise #1 Center
Draisaitl-->Really good #1 center
Ritchie--->Elite level Power-forward
Dal Colle--->High level scoring winger
Ehlers----->Top 6 scoring winger
Barbashev->Really good all around #2 center
Fleury----->Perfect #3 D-man
Nylander--->Top 6 scoring winger

This is all my opinion of the top 10 "ceilings" in the draft. Perlini IMO will not amout to much of anything and McCann will be a solid NHL forward, but nothing to write home about

Old
04-08-2014, 06:41 PM
JJTT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroPT View Post
Lowest ceiling? Ritchie? Not at all.

He has a massive ceiling. He has all the tools you'd want in an elite power-forward. We're purely talking ceiling here. He's up in the top 6 of the draft in terms of ceiling.

Reinhart-->Franchise #1 Center
Bennett--> borderline franchise #1 Center
What? You do realize what franchise term means? That's Toews, Tavares, Stamkos level center. Reinhart and Bennett are not close to that.

JJTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2014, 06:45 PM
canwincup

Who would you guys compare virtanen to in the nhl?

canwincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2014, 07:00 PM
LongWayDown37
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJTT View Post
What? You do realize what franchise term means? That's Toews, Tavares, Stamkos level center. Reinhart and Bennett are not close to that.
Ceiling. It's accurate.

LongWayDown37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2014, 07:00 PM
ZeroPT
Faschist Computer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJTT View Post
false. Reinhart most definitely can be the face of a franchise. Henrik Sedin can be the face of the franchise. So can Zetterberg. They're the players I compare him to.

Also notice I said "borderline" franchise player for Bennett

Old
04-08-2014, 07:03 PM
ZeroPT
Faschist Computer

Quote:
Originally Posted by canwincup View Post
Who would you guys compare virtanen to in the nhl?
Chris Kreider

Old
04-12-2014, 05:40 PM
BROOKLYnKNIGHTS

For me this is simple. Bennet is never going to amount to anything in the NHL. The team who drafts this kid with a high pick will forever live to regret it. The way this draft looks it could be similar to picking Sam Bowie over Michael Jordan

BROOKLYnKNIGHTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2014, 05:54 PM
Mifroid

vCash: 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by BROOKLYnKNIGHTS View Post
For me this is simple. Bennet is never going to amount to anything in the NHL. The team who drafts this kid with a high pick will forever live to regret it. The way this draft looks it could be similar to picking Sam Bowie over Michael Jordan
I like how you don't even say why.

Mifroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2014, 11:29 PM
ZeroPT
Faschist Computer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BROOKLYnKNIGHTS View Post
Why?

Old
04-12-2014, 11:29 PM
Spade
Rookie User

In order of extreme top-end upside (IMO):

Dal Colle
Ekblad
Bennett
Draisaitl
Reinhart

Ritchie
Virtanen
McCann

Fleury
Perlini

Dal Colle's combo of slickness and size gives him the highest upside in the draft. Ekblad could be another Shea Weber if everything pans out right. Bennett is skilled, but lacks the pure tools that Dal Colle has; he's obviously a much safer bet to be a player though. Draisaitl could be a high-octane offensive player, but I'm not sure if he has the skating to be considered better than Dal Colle at his potential peak or Bennett at his potential peak. Reinhart has probably the lowest pure upside of the top tier guys, but he's easily the surest bet to be a player.

Jumping down a level, you got power forward types and a sleeper. Ritchie and Virtanen, at their peak, could be incredibly scary, but even they won't be as valuable as a guy like Dal Colle if Dal Colle hits his potential. McCann could conceivably become a Logan Couture type at his peak, and while that's very good it's not quite as comparable to the guys who are a tier above.

Fleury could become a good top-3 guy, while Perlini at his best isn't going to be more than a 2nd line winger or complementary 1st liner. That's nothing to scoff at, but they're noticeably lower in potential than the other guys who could all become decent top line players. Perlini is a fairly safe player though, and a guy who can play in the middle 6 while bringing some size, grit and two-way responsibility is still quite a worthwhile pick.

Keep in mind that this only takes into account their high-end potential, not whether or not they will hit that potential.

Spade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2014, 11:33 PM
UsernameWasTaken
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
In order of extreme top-end upside (IMO):

Dal Colle
Ekblad
Bennett
Draisaitl
Reinhart

Ritchie
Virtanen
McCann

Fleury
Perlini

Dal Colle's combo of slickness and size gives him the highest upside in the draft. Ekblad could be another Shea Weber if everything pans out right. Bennett is skilled, but lacks the pure tools that Dal Colle has; he's obviously a much safer bet to be a player though. Draisaitl could be a high-octane offensive player, but I'm not sure if he has the skating to be considered better than Dal Colle at his potential peak or Bennett at his potential peak. Reinhart has probably the lowest pure upside of the top tier guys, but he's easily the surest bet to be a player.

Jumping down a level, you got power forward types and a sleeper. Ritchie and Virtanen, at their peak, could be incredibly scary, but even they won't be as valuable as a guy like Dal Colle if Dal Colle hits his potential. McCann could conceivably become a Logan Couture type at his peak, and while that's very good it's not quite as comparable to the guys who are a tier above.

Fleury could become a good top-3 guy, while Perlini at his best isn't going to be more than a 2nd line winger or complementary 1st liner. That's nothing to scoff at, but they're noticeably lower in potential than the other guys who could all become decent top line players. Perlini is a fairly safe player though, and a guy who can play in the middle 6 while bringing some size, grit and two-way responsibility is still quite a worthwhile pick.

Keep in mind that this only takes into account their high-end potential, not whether or not they will hit that potential.
I was just wondering why you think that Ekblad's high end is higher than Bennett's? I would have though Ekblad is more likely to hit his ceiling than Bennett...but I wouldn't have said the ceiling is higher.

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2014, 11:51 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#healBurish

vCash: 567
Fleury, probably. And Virtanen, McCann, and Perlini.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2014, 11:57 PM
Vankiller Whale
Win it for AV

vCash: 5100
I always thought Perlini as a prospect with high skill/upside but also high risk due to consistency problems.

Of the guys listed in the OP I'd probably go with McCann.

Vankiller Whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2014, 11:58 PM
Franck
Insolent Upstart

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroPT View Post
Nylander--->Top 6 scoring winger
Nylander has a much higher ceiling than that.

Franck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2014, 01:13 AM
DKQ
Generic User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Fleury, probably. And Virtanen, McCann, and Perlini.
I agree with this, minus McCann. I really don't get the infatuation with Fleury, maybe it's because the defensive depth in this draft is so poor, but he just isn't that good at defense. He can skate as well as anyone and has good size, but in terms of being an actually positionally effective hockey player I don't see him as being up there with a lot of the names he gets thrown in with

DKQ is offline   Reply With Quote