HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

2014 Draft Broadcast Inquiries: TV, Radio, Streams, etc.

Old
06-22-2014, 09:59 PM
22Sargent

vCash: 500
2014 Draft Broadcast Inquiries: TV, Radio, Streams, etc.

Anyone know who the provider will be for NBCSN's USA TV coverage of the first round of the draft on Friday? I know in the past that the TSN feed has been used, but I haven't heard whether that will be the same this year or not. Thanks!

22Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2014, 10:02 PM
seafoam

vCash: 70
I hope it's TSN, they do a great job.

seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2014, 10:37 PM
Trav

TSN is doing live coverage of the first round. From what I hear though this is the last draft they'll get to broadcast due to the stupid new TV agreement between the NHL and Sportsnet.

Trav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2014, 10:59 PM
22Sargent

I'm very pleased to hear that it's going to be TSN! I will miss them next year! Thanks for the info, Trav!

Old
06-22-2014, 11:07 PM
glasgow26

Coverage starts at 7 EST, right? So does that mean the first pick will be made around 7:30?

glasgow26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2014, 12:01 AM
Hossa

Does anybody know a good radio feed that will be available?

Hossa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2014, 12:16 AM
22Sargent

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasgow26 View Post
Coverage starts at 7 EST, right? So does that mean the first pick will be made around 7:30?
I think there's I am remembering correctly, the first pick is announced somewhere between 15 and 20 minutes after the telecast begins. Someone else can correct me if I'm wrong.

Old
06-23-2014, 12:19 AM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trav View Post
TSN is doing live coverage of the first round. From what I hear though this is the last draft they'll get to broadcast due to the stupid new TV agreement between the NHL and Sportsnet.
That only deals with NHL games. TSN can still run their draft shows, trade deadline shows, and free agent frenzy shows.

NBCSN will use the TSN feed

CBJBrassard16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2014, 01:11 AM
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor

Is NBCSN carrying rounds 2-7 too? And what time does coverage start on Sat?

Beerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2014, 01:24 AM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
That only deals with NHL games. TSN can still run their draft shows, trade deadline shows, and free agent frenzy shows.

NBCSN will use the TSN feed
Personally I would much rather watch TSN doing coverage of the draft next year in a studio then watch Sportsnet's live coverage.

Personally I am dreading Day 2 coverage of the draft on the NHL network, they seem to spend rounds 2-7 talking about everything besides who is getting picked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerz View Post
Is NBCSN carrying rounds 2-7 too? And what time does coverage start on Sat?
I think the NHL network covers it both in US and Canada, coverage starts at 10 am

boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2014, 02:55 AM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
Personally I would much rather watch TSN doing coverage of the draft next year in a studio then watch Sportsnet's live coverage.

Personally I am dreading Day 2 coverage of the draft on the NHL network, they seem to spend rounds 2-7 talking about everything besides who is getting picked

I think the NHL network covers it both in US and Canada, coverage starts at 10 am
Agreed. Most of the time I have to do that research myself. While it's fun, it kinda defeats the purpose of even showing those rounds.

CBJBrassard16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2014, 04:18 AM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
Agreed. Most of the time I have to do that research myself. While it's fun, it kinda defeats the purpose of even showing those rounds.
I guess the theory is people who actually care who will get picked are going to watch no matter what, so they will try get 5000 more viewers having 10 minutes features on what the Leafs did on the first day.

I personally hope some online radio has the smart idea to have up to date broadcast telling us who actually get picked because I will listen to that over watching the NHL network. I don't care if it's a bunch of non media amateur guys who are just telling us pick after pick, it will be much better then the NHL network. Basically all you need to have a decent round 2 draft radio show is a couple guys at the draft emailing/texting/calling picks to guys in a studio/bedroom and those guys relaying you the picks like 30 seconds to a minute after the fact

Personally I wish if the NHL network felt inclined to talk about everything but the actual picks they could at least have a scroll on the bottom telling us the picks

Old
06-23-2014, 09:16 AM
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hossa View Post
Does anybody know a good radio feed that will be available?
Probably one of the TSN radio stations (Montreal, Toronto, Ottawa, Winnipeg, etc).

Marc the Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2014, 02:51 PM
Covenant

Covenant

It's hard to figure the lack of understanding a network like the NHL network has regarding their programming. Why would you carry the draft by having people yapping throughout and hardly showing any of the selections? The least they could do is have a side bar showing the picks as they are made. I pretty much tune them out and watch the picks online by using a feed that records the picks as they happen. Bob McKenzie will be part of the NHL network broadcast this year.

Covenant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2014, 02:55 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Covenant View Post
It's hard to figure the lack of understanding a network like the NHL network has regarding their programming. Why would you carry the draft by having people yapping throughout and hardly showing any of the selections? The least they could do is have a side bar showing the picks as they are made. I pretty much tune them out and watch the picks online by using a feed that records the picks as they happen. Bob McKenzie will be part of the NHL network broadcast this year.
McKenzie has to cut people off to talk about prospects. Most of the NHL Network just recaps the 1st round over and over again.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2014, 03:00 PM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Covenant View Post
If I was doing Day 2 coverage I would create a board of 50 guys to look for getting drafted and focus on that. Chances are 35+ of those guys will be gone by the end of the 3rd round but at least those last 15 guys gives your coverage some focus(beyond how the leafs drafted on day 1)

Old
06-23-2014, 03:01 PM
SensBrawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trav View Post
So does that mean that next we'll have someone like Damien Cox doing draft analysis instead of Bob McKenzie?

SensBrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2014, 03:13 PM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensBrawler View Post
So does that mean that next we'll have someone like Damien Cox doing draft analysis instead of Bob McKenzie?
I wouldn't be surprised if they brought in special guests like Gare Joyce for the draft. Hopefully NBC Sports decides to do it's own coverage of the Draft I might watch that instead

Old
06-23-2014, 03:23 PM
ScottyDont

vCash: 900
Does anyone know if there will be a stream of this online?

ScottyDont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2014, 03:26 PM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyDont View Post
Does anyone know if there will be a stream of this online?
My guess is somebody will stream it but as of now I have no clue who. Best to come here a half an hour before the draft somebody is bound to post a link

Old
06-23-2014, 03:56 PM
tony d
Thanks for memories

Yeah, never did like the NHL Network coverage of the draft. Seems like they only focus on 1 or 2 picks and not the actual person being selected from Round 2 to 7.

06-23-2014, 03:58 PM
Puritania
Skooma Addict

vCash: 1206
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
Personally I wish if the NHL network felt inclined to talk about everything but the actual picks they could at least have a scroll on the bottom telling us the picks
Would you settle for seeing what joe blow from Waterloo has to say on twitter for two days?

I hate that social media garbage has taken over these events. By all means show what media and players are saying, but leave the annoying fan tweets out of it. 2/3 of the screen is taken up by this crap.

Puritania is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2014, 04:13 PM
Maverick41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puritania View Post
Would you settle for seeing what joe blow from Waterloo has to say on twitter for two days?

I hate that social media garbage has taken over these events. By all means show what media and players are saying, but leave the annoying fan tweets out of it. 2/3 of the screen is taken up by this crap.
Couldn't agree more about those tweets. One of the most annoying developments in the media world these past years.

It's one thing to go to a message board and check out what fans have to say about it, but to have this stuff shoved down your throat on TV, especially when so many people try to be clever and funny when they are neither.

If they would at least make it optional. You know if you could just hide those twitter bands with a push of a button on your remote. I'm sure the technology is available by now.

Maverick41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2014, 04:19 PM
Puritania
Skooma Addict

vCash: 1206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick41 View Post
Couldn't agree more about those tweets. One of the most annoying developments in the media world these past years.

It's one thing to go to a message board and check out what fans have to say about it, but to have this stuff shoved down your throat on TV, especially when so many people try to be clever and funny when they are neither.

If they would at least make it optional. You know if you could just hide those twitter bands with a push of a button on your remote. I'm sure the technology is available by now.
Yep, it's ****in' brutal. It's so damn distracting to boot. I'm trying to watch the event and my eyes keep gravitating to the tweets even though I don't want to read them. If they are going to keep that crap, at least you know, keep putting new tweets on. At the end of day two, it'll be the same damn tweets I didn't want to read at the start of day one.

Puritania is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2014, 04:43 PM
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensBrawler View Post
Chilling thought...And Cox is usually on their Friday Night Hockey panel.

And I agree, TSN really screwed up posting tweets from various nobodies over the last 3 drafts (this started in 2011).

Marc the Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote